• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Direct Special: The Best Game Graphics of the Year 2023

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Doesn't the 30fps mode look fine on console? It's the 60fps mode that suffers.
No. 30fps mode runs like crap and still have no reflections and is extremely grainy and breakup is intense.
Patched a bit but not enough. It’s the only game I regret not getting on pc

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I just don't get how he and his ilk don't get banned lmao. I don't even want him to be banned but I swear if I acted that way I'd be out the door with a red arse.
I do but won't say anything. Just don't engage them seriously and have a laugh.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is it Hogwarts? Hogwarts Legacy won, didn't it?

HkHODP6.png

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I still think no game achieved the insane cgi looking heights like ff16 in some scenes.
Maybe aw2 in scene where you meet Alex Casey in an alley. That looks good even on consoles

S0ULZB0URNE

I just don't get how he and his ilk don't get banned lmao. I don't even want him to be banned but I swear if I acted that way I'd be out the door with a red arse.
Ignored troll must be quoting me.
Now you need mod help.
Your ability to turn literally any thread into a PS5 vs PC/Xbox war is quite impressive brother
Xbox didn't get mentioned.
It's about best graphics from a pcmr channel that automatically starts a VS war.
Acting like a pcmr snob but not actually being apart of it is impressive.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
AW2 looks fantastic on console, rofif is just mad about Forborin' not making the list.

These are all console shots. The art and asset quality is superb.

alanwake2-2023_10_27-ebdit.png

1698908194-alan-wake-2-20231101172506.jpg

1702228630-alan-wake-2-20231209173317.jpg

alanwake2-2023_10_29-1gcdd.png
It looks like trash as soon as you move or shadows move. And all forests are 28fps or at least were.

What’s so impressive anyway? It’s a static game. They could’ve baked it and it would look the same and be 4k60

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Xbox didn't get mentioned.
It's about best graphics from a pcmr channel that automatically starts a VS war.
Acting like a pcmr snob but not actually being apart of it is impressive.
Interesting. I have a question for you gatekeeper! Seeing as I'm a supposed wanabe "PCMR", is the requirement 32gb ram? Not 64gb then? Did I just miss the cut off with 16gb? My RTX 3080 and 5800X3D get me some of the way there right? They aren't quite PS5 level but it's still a PC technically just not MR, like a Honda NSX.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What’s so impressive anyway? It’s a static game. They could’ve baked it and it would look the same and be 4k60
No it wouldn't. TLOU Part I is baked with no RT on PS5 and runs at about 35fps unlocked and can dip below 30.

Baking everything would have also probably taken quite a bit longer and Remedy is a smaller team than ND.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No it wouldn't. TLOU Part I is baked with no RT on PS5 and runs at about 35fps unlocked and can dip below 30.

Baking everything would have also probably taken quite a bit longer and Remedy is a smaller team than ND.
tlou also looks better and you are right. it runs 35+ fps AT NATIVE 4K mode.
AW2 runs at fsr2 ultra performance mode, looks like hell and doesn't dip below 30. All Saga forests sections are below 30.
I am fine with it being LOW RES. that's ok. But they have some sorting done wrong. It's like some effects dont get TAA treatment in the correct order in chain.
When you look at a fence and move the camera around, it all breaks down more so than in other fsr games.
And everything has this dirty, grainy look. Because they apply reflections/ssr to most surfaces... and their ssr technique on consoles is the worst thing ever.
Look at demons souls or tlou2 even on ps4. Clean image quality. Consistent all the way through.

Maybe baking would take long time and have some drawbacks sure. But there are many things they could've done on consoles. not just this
qOHxc9p.jpg

T2HIcXA.jpg

TlAytW6.jpg

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

And this isn't even taking into consideration the higher detailed assets in AW2 over TLOU Remake. Tekken 8 isn't even 4K 60 on the consoles and he thinks AW2 would be haha.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
AW2 runs at fsr2 ultra performance mode, looks like hell and doesn't dip below 30. All Saga forests sections are below 30.
I am fine with it being LOW RES. that's ok. But they have some sorting done wrong. It's like some effects dont get TAA treatment in the correct order in chain.
When you look at a fence and move the camera around, it all breaks down more so than in other fsr games.
And everything has this dirty, grainy look. Because they apply reflections/ssr to most surfaces... and their ssr technique on consoles is the worst thing ever.
Look at demons souls or tlou2 even on ps4. Clean image quality. Consistent all the way through.

Maybe baking would take long time and have some drawbacks sure. But there are many things they could've done on consoles. not just this
qOHxc9p.jpg

T2HIcXA.jpg

TlAytW6.jpg

You get what you pay for. No different than the shit tier image quality and inconsistent framerate I have to put up with playing FF16. What did you expect for $500?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You get what you pay for. No different then the shit tier image quality and inconsistent framerate I have to put up with playing FF16. What did you expect for $500?

Honestly, those are just selective bad shots, you can take a picture mid severe motion in any game and it will look bad.

The game looks fantastic, and it's number two spot is well justified.

ungalo

AW2 looks fantastic on console, rofif is just mad about Forborin' not making the list.

These are all console shots. The art and asset quality is superb.

alanwake2-2023_10_27-ebdit.png

1698908194-alan-wake-2-20231101172506.jpg

1702228630-alan-wake-2-20231209173317.jpg

alanwake2-2023_10_29-1gcdd.png
Played it on Series X and i wasn't impressed. A lot of aliasing, at least on performance, image is not as clean as this.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You get what you pay for. No different then the shit tier image quality and inconsistent framerate I have to put up with playing FF16. What did you expect for $500?
you couldn't be more wrong.
FF16 has perfect 30fps mode, is higher res and got no breakup like that.
It's all up to developer how they choose to not optimize. They clearly just used low pc settings and slapped it on a console. Many other devs achieved higher resolutions, fps and image quality like postcards.
Look at ff16. Shit looks like CGI. The soft lighting and shadwing is unmatched. And gameplay looks just as good (and like ff14 in other spots but no comment)
jsxs5KV.jpg

pBO0yhv.jpg

RafRlVC.jpg

this is in gameplay model. just used photo mode for a better angle/closer
APE7Osh.jpg

I mean look at this!
u65aIyK.jpg

IGTFYq7.jpg

musaLWQ.jpg

And I am doing a disservice posting HDR converted to SDR screenshots.
FF16 looks incredible live on oled with HDR
L6pOuJY.jpg

Wp04Qg7.jpg

WAY better. On the same fucking ps5 at that.... and running at stable 30 or unlocked or 90fps mode. Not a single jaggy or shimmering spot to be found. Like a postcard.
YiI5xsZ.jpg

afuZ6Cu.jpg

wiFDdm4.jpg

Honestly, those are just selective bad shots, you can take a picture mid severe motion in any game and it will look bad.

The game looks fantastic, and it's number two spot is well justified.
The breakup and dots from shimmering ssr grain are there regardless.
Motion blur actually looks even better than without it... It's needed to survive 30fps mode anyway.

Zuzu

I’m playing the through Alan Wake 2 atm on the Series X and I’m not that impressed with it graphically. RE4 looks better in numerous ways imo and runs better. But I haven’t played it on PC where it should be played to see the graphics at their best.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
you couldn't be more wrong.
FF16 has perfect 30fps mode, is higher res and got no breakup like that.
It's all up to developer how they choose to not optimize. They clearly just used low pc settings and slapped it on a console. Many other devs achieved higher resolutions, fps and image quality like postcards.
Look at ff16. Shit looks like CGI. The soft lighting and shadwing is unmatched. And gameplay looks just as good (and like ff14 in other spots but no comment)

this is in gameplay model. just used photo mode for a better angle/closer

I mean look at this!

And I am doing a disservice posting HDR converted to SDR screenshots.
FF16 looks incredible live on oled with HDR

WAY better. On the same fucking ps5 at that.... and running at stable 30 or unlocked or 90fps mode. Not a single jaggy or shimmering spot to be found. Like a postcard.
YiI5xsZ.jpg

afuZ6Cu.jpg

wiFDdm4.jpg

The breakup and dots from shimmering ssr grain are there regardless.
Motion blur actually looks even better than without it... It's needed to survive 30fps mode anyway.
Genuinely looks a gen behind AW2 lmao.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

qOHxc9p.jpg

T2HIcXA.jpg

TlAytW6.jpg
And I am not impressed by avatar at all. Forspoken looks more impressive to me. Why is not on the list at all btw. Looks great at times
8255840-9423846486-cope-.gif

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes RT reflections
Marvel-s-Spider-Man-2-20231031023345.png

9TkYNXy.jpg

cE3l0X9.jpg
Insomniac was able to do ALL THAT for an open world game.
But Remedy was only able to disable all RT and put settings to Low for Alan Wake 2....
go figure.
Very nice shots. I need to pick this up !

Senua

Gold Member
You clearly lack an eye for what's good looking.
There is no shame in that. One day you will grow up to notice that.
I look forward to the day I see PS4 rooted games more impressive than fully current gen experiences, it would save me a lot of money in hardware!

Fake

I do agree that Avatars looks good, besides the saturated colors, but again the movie use the same trick.

rsouzadk

Dude forspoken is beautiful what are you smoking.
Posting pics because that hdr is stunning
uW2Gjz9.jpg

yLxdwLO.jpg

n4c1C4S.jpg

And raw HDR-SDR captures. most are not photo mode. Just gameplay. forspoken adds the watermark always.
x9mTxIS.jpeg

Glca9au.jpg

yo5fyfL.jpg

CdHC2l1.jpg

ZeOle8i.jpg

9zZ75IQ.jpg

HGjKG8t.jpg
These ss genuinely looks like horse shit.

Last edited:

Stuart360

These ss genuinely looks like horse shit.
It doesnt look shit but i tried it on max settings and it looked like a last gen game to me (although many games this gen have so far to be fair), with sometimes terrible draw distances.
It doesnt deserve to be mentioned along side some of these games imo.

rofif will rofif though.

Zathalus

The ability for the exact same posters to shit up every DF thread imaginable is quite impressive.

The list has both major PS5 exclusives for the year in it and they can still somehow cry about bias.

I'm quite confident DF can post a video of Alex giving Jim Ryan head and they would still complain about him not stroking the shaft enough.

Top Bottom