• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Dead or Alive 6 Tech Analysis: PS4/Pro/Xbox One/X/PC - Every Version Tested!

Fake

Team Ninja return with its signature fighter – Dead or Alive 6 - the first built specifically for Xbox One and PS4 systems. John covers all consoles and PC in this all-in-one tech breakdown. How much of an upgrade is it compared to the last game? And how well does it hold to 60fps on the weaker consoles? Let's find out.

Sumary:
- The game have two modes: 'Graphic mode' and 'perfomance mode'.
- Xbox X runs at native 4k if 'graphic mode' is enable.
- Both Graphic and Perfomance mode on PRO runs at 1080p, but 'Graphic mode' improve AA and shading.
- PS4 runs at native 1080p if 'graphic mode' is enable and 900p at 'perfomance mode'
- HDR only present on Xbox X and Xbox One. Both PS4, PRO and PC don't get HDR option.
- (11:15) Xbox still have a black level bug in this game (and others too).
- Perfomance: PRO > Xbox X > PS4 > Xbox One
- Xbox X can archieve native 4k, but get some severe perfomance drops while in 'perfomance mode' the resolution drop to 1080p.
- Xbox X at 1080p runs 60 fps really good. The HUD still runs at 4k.
- PRO runs at 60 fps on both 'graphic mode' and 'perfomance mode', while in 'perfomance mode' 60 almost 100% of the time.
- PS4 runs native 1080p at 'graphic mode', while in 'perfomance mode' the game runs at 60 fps most of the time, just dips in cutscene moves.
- Xbox One barelly runs at 60 fps. In the 'graphic mode' the game runs really poor.
- In 'perfomance mode' Xbox One runs 60 in some stages. Demand stages can't run locked 60 fps.
- Veredit: Both Xbox X and PRO are good to go if you choise 'perfomance mode'. While Xbox X runs at native 4k the frame rate still get much frame rate drops for a fighting game so is better stick with the 1080p. PS4 runs at decent frame rate if you pick 900p 'perfomance mode' just with dips here and there while Xbox One runs sometimes at 60 fps depends of the stage with is not so good even if you take into account the previous DoA games getting advantage on Xbox previous machines.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
First: thanks to keep going John. Appreciate your videos.

Now about the video...its a shame that base consoles can't really shiny that well(lol at the base xbox one). Also its sad to see those season pass charging stuff. I felt the same way with DBFZ, since the character roster is too shallow(at least compared to other DBZ games). Still a fun game though and I believe in you that DOA6 is fun as well.

As a sidenote, I wonder how triggered Resetera gonna be with this video you know.

Last edited:

Fake

I like when John spoke about not 'THAT' jump in term of quality in comparison with previous DoA games. For me most of the fighting games from this generation have the same problem. Street Fighter 4 was a great jump in the SF franchise in terms of quality , while Street Fighter 5 not that much. Soul Calibur II is IMO the most quality graphic fightning game I ever played in that era ( I played on original Xbox), while Soul Calibur VI show some improve, but not in the same level as Soul Calibur II.

Maybe the only exception was Injustive vs Injustice 2.

Last edited:

Calibos

This game seems like kind of a mess. Why not just drop 4k on the X and parity the Pro? 4K is great and looks great and I love it, but having those severe drops in a fighting game is unforgivable.

Leonidas

Curious if performance mode on X has higher settings than PS4 in graphics mode. At any rate it seems that for consoles the X takes the crown for performance mode with it's 4K UI elements and HDR.
This game seems like kind of a mess. Why not just drop 4k on the X and parity the Pro? 4K is great and looks great and I love it, but having those severe drops in a fighting game is unforgivable.

The default mode is 1080p on the X with 60 FPS. In performance mode X > Pro due to same 60 FPS lock but with HDR and 4K UI elements only on the X.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Seems like for the X they should’ve gone for either a CB4K or dynamic resolution for its graphics mode. Expecting 4k60fps with high settings is still roughly a gen off imo.
No time to watch, clue me in guys: Which platform has the best boobs?
Read post #4

Calibos

Curious if performance mode on X has higher settings than PS4 in graphics mode. At any rate it seems that for consoles the X takes the crown for performance mode with it's 4K UI elements and HDR.

The default mode is 1080p on the X with 60 FPS. In performance mode X > Pro due to same 60 FPS lock but with HDR and 4K UI elements only on the X.

Yeah I get that, but I guess my point is why have a 4K mode if it's going to tank the performance...that framerate line looked like a noodle in a pool. It's almost like they just flicked the 4k switch and didn't even try to optimize that resolution. Checking a box if you will.

Leonidas

Yeah I get that, but I guess my point is why have a 4K mode if it's going to tank the performance...that framerate line looked like a noodle in a pool. It's almost like they just flicked the 4k switch and didn't even try to optimize that resolution. Checking a box if you will.

I agree, they should have done a dynamic resolution or stuck to a lower resolution where it could have rendered 60 FPS in the graphics mode, but the X is still the best console version of the game as it ships in the 1080p60 mode with features not in the PS4 Pro edition(4K UI + HDR).

Ok I can't be the only one thinking this looks worse than 5 sometimes.

Also DOA 2 ultimate on Xbox is still best looking and playing one :messenger_sunglasses:

Top Bottom