• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the Super Nintendo actually win the 16-Bit war?

Did the SNES beat out Blast Processing?

• No, Sega moved on to the Saturn.

Votes: 69 16.0%
  • Yes, the SNES outperformed the Genesis commercially.

Votes: 361 84.0%

• Total voters

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
SNES just had many many more games, especially RPGs over the Genesis.
Lying dog faced pony soldier ! 😌
Ok, Snes has much more wet standardized JRPG...
But let's face it. For instance, 99% of anime fighters/brawlers that made you dream as a kid like DBZ, Ranma 1/2 baked, sailor moon, Yuyu Hakuso are so so at best...
A single modern indie brawler like Paprium is crushing most of Super Famicol attempts, almost competing with the Neo Geo. As for Fighters, as i said it was cool as a kid (are you still a virgin ?) to have all that colorful anime stuffs but most don't age very well. On the other hand, the only example on the megadrive is directly at the top of the pyramid with Treasure's Yuyu Hakusho.

Overall, Snes has a slight edge over the Megadrive due to Square, Enix (don't bring the huge amount of overhyped crap) but modern indies on the megadrive are slowly crushing AAA of the 90's.

Indies don't want to let the Megadrive die. They are producing a load of amazing new projects for decades to come. 😌🥳
(Plus, Megadrive consoles are often officially licensed by Sega - it passed 40 millions units 10 years ago and still growing- so yeah, unlike 32/64 bits, 16 bits war never ended 🤪💩)

Last edited:

Krathoon

What is great about Sega is that they had some weird shit. Also, a little bit of gore and blood.

I get a kick out of digging up old Sega games. There is a certain charm to Sega's presentation that Nintendo did not have.

They also messed around with FMV games. The Sega CD is actually pretty cool.

Fat Frog

I had both systems and their game libraries were both good but in different ways. Having both systems covered all bases. My highlighted games are what I skewed each system to.

Genesis: Sega arcade ports, sports (great Sega and EA combo), Sonic, games show blood, Sega-CD (if a gamer liked this optional add on)

SNES: Mario (and all their platformers), Capcom and Konami games were better, JRPGs, 6 button controller had more functionality
Yeah, Capcom and Konami did more on the Snes especially in terms of action games, while Square and Enix stayed at Nintendo...

Nonetheless, that's the reason why Sega 2nd party were awesome at the time.
To counter Capcom and Konami, Sega was backed by "One company army Treasure":
source.gif

Streets of Rage vs TMNT, Contra 3 vs Gunstar Heroes, Megaman X vs Alien Soldier...Camelot and Climax struggled with RPGs against Square, Enix(Sega aldo did wonders with Phantasy Star 4) but others strikers like Technosoft helped with Megadrive's schmups (and decades later became Thunder Force became a Sega IP).

Z97B.gif

Treasure... The only company that could say :"Capcom, Konami ? Don't worry, i'll humble them".

Don't lie Nintendo boys. On Nintendo 64, i know you didn't masturbate on Capcom. You did it on Sin and Punishment 😎

Last edited:
Mega Drive released in 1988. Everything prior had 2 buttons, Sega was right in thinking 1 extra button would carry them a long way, lol. A lot of MD games don’t even use 3 buttons, and early Sonic - the MD’s biggest success - doesn’t use all three. It’s basically only due to fighting games that more buttons became a necessity.

I don‘t know why Nintendo went with those many buttons with the SNES, as the use of shoulder buttons in SMW was clearly an afterthought and even F-Zero could have done with a different control scheme. But they were lucky that a year after the SNES launched in Japan, Capcom made the game that completely justified having 6 control buttons! And it’s only after SF2 that suddenly, every other console found itself short on buttons, lol.

Actually there were come PC ports had the problem as well, several of them needed more buttons but it's the sales of SF2 that justified the use of the full SNES controller. As for Genesis, It was MK1 that got Sega to realize that they wouldn't be able to get away with just 3 buttons if they wanted the sequels to do big. If it wasn't for the censorship controversy SNES may have gotten MK and SF.

Good looking out Nintendo.

Dane

Uhhh, yes, it did outsell the Genesis by a big margin, the difference is that Sega rose on the west while SNES sales were significanly lower than NES.

Uhhh, yes, it did outsell the Genesis by a big margin, the difference is that Sega rose on the west while SNES sales were significanly lower than NES.

This is a point that's not often thought about. One could even blame Sega slipping on their lead for some of sales the SNES may not have ever had. They dominated in the US and Japan, and did worse in both while not doing much better or much worse in the other regions they sold in previously.

The N64 did even worse, only place it did better than the SNES was the US, where Sega did worse, but outside of the US it's debatable that Saturn actually did better WW, but both paled in comparison to tthe Playstation.

Never ending war. 😎
You snooze, you loose ? 😘

Many consoles still get games made for them.

it's just for some reason those usually aren't Nintendo consoles. Homebrew scene even earlier before Nintendo started being aggressive on them was always slow.

Last edited:
I think the indie community has kind of tenderness toward Sega, the black sheep who fought so hard but always failed... 😆
The donald duck of video games.
Atari has a more active community across more systems, however Sega is a good 3rd after C64/Amiga.

Lots of good stuff although sometimes the prices they ask for a little high at times.

I don't think Genesis having the more active homebrew community is an indicator of success, otherwise the C64 would be the most successful platform of all time.

Fat Frog

The Mighty Snes 🤗:

Stage 1-1
Haggar: " Where are you, punks ? This fucking town became a desert."

3:03 > More than 2 punks on the screen > big slowdown, the Snes is struggling 😜

Indie developpers + Blast Processing 💪🏼😎

#consolewar2022

C cartman414
I didn't say that.
Nonetheless, the Sega community is so active that it improves the Genesis library a lot. 😌🤪😍😎

Sega boyz will change history 😎

Last edited:

MacReady13

I can't remember 1 person growing up who had both. It was such a life affirming choice. Either / or but never both.
God I miss those days... I remember it the same. Some of my best friends either had the Mega Drive or the SNES. We were a Nintendo family but soon as the Dreamcast came out (my 1st console I purchased with my own money after getting a job) I was an all consoles man! It's only been last 10-15 years that i've gone on a retro kick and really discovered how amazing the Mega Drive truly was.

Ozzie666

I think the indie community has kind of tenderness toward Sega, the black sheep who fought so hard but always failed... 😆
The donald duck of video games.

I believe the actual development SDK for Genesis was made available or at least made its way around the net, legitimately or not. Making it far easier for common folk to make some decent progress. I'm under the impression the SNES is not the same boat in terms of development tools. I'd also wager the 68000 has a lot to do with it and die hard Amiga and ST coders. The Genesis has seen an uptick since that SDK was released, that's for sure and it's easier to get more from the system now.

Also on a side note, there is a 16 bit remaster of Sonic Triple Trouble available in the style of the Genesis. Whilst it's on Windows, it would have been nice to see a proper Genesis release. It's so good, it could easily be considered as the true Sonic the Hedgehog 4. I'm not sure why there is so much passion and love compared to Nintendo, maybe Sega is leas heavy handed? All I can think of. Maybe Sega is more supportive of these rogues.

I'm not sure why there is so much passion and love compared to Nintendo, maybe Sega is leas heavy handed? All I can think of. Maybe Sega is more supportive of these rogues.

Nintendo is the only company of relevance in gaming that has a homebrew community as small as they have, even accounting for before the modern age of them going after people. Even the PC Engine has more if you can understand Japanese.

Fat Frog

European Nintendo boys in the 90's :

" The Super Nes has more quality RPGs 💪🏼"

True. Except Nintendo didn't give a shit about RPGs (and more important they didn't give a shit about you 😁)
that's why 95% of Super Famicom's RPGs never saw the light of europe...

Nintendo boys : " Blabla Seiken Densetsu 3, Rudora no Hiho " #proud #hipster

Sega boys: " Cool story, bro and good luck with japanese language 👍🏽🤡. We're well occupied with Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Phantasy Star and Shining Force series... Sega didn't ignore us"

Poor Nintendo cucks 😌, once again forgotten by their master.

Genesis does what Nintendon't...
#16 bits war 2022 😇

Last edited:
European Nintendo boys in the 90's :

" The Super Nes has more quality RPGs 💪🏼"

True. Except Nintendo didn't give a shit about RPGs (and more important they didn't give a shit about you 😁)
that's why 95% of Super Famicom's RPGs never saw the light of europe...

Nintendo boys : " Blabla Seiken Densetsu 3, Rudora no Hiho " #proud #hipster

Sega boys: " Cool story, bro and good luck with japanese language 👍🏽🤡. We're well occupied with Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Phantasy Star and Shining Force series... Sega didn't ignore us"

Bubsy sold more on Genesis and is slightly faster because of the blast processing than the SNES version.

Ozzie666

Nintendo is the only company of relevance in gaming that has a homebrew community as small as they have, even accounting for before the modern age of them going after people. Even the PC Engine has more if you can understand Japanese.

That's a good point, they are the only ones who survived and relevant in today's world. Poor Sega. But I will commend Sega for it's open support for Sonic remakes and fan made games. even hiring some developers officially. Now unfortunately they also screwed some of those people over, so bad Sega. Sonic Trible Trouble 16 bit being the latest and quality title, Naka should be so jealous. I also find that a lot of NES inspired developers seem to be come out on PC, copying the style of NES without the limitations.

Just to be clear when you refer to 'homebrew' do you mean games like Sydney Hunter or Yeah Yeah Beebiss 2 or do you mean games made with no profit?, or just unlicensed in general.

cireza

Well, regular SF2 struggled on genesis with terrible colors and sound. And to be fair, in a time where vibrant colors were king, genesis lacked big time in that department.
Missed this one it seems...

This is due to the incompetence of Capcom and nothing else. They were awful at developing on consoles back then. SFII on MegaDrive was a rushed job and SEGA had to intervene and tell them to do better about graphics. Their sound driver was complete shit. All of this has been fixed by the community by the way. Being a port, it was also using the weaker resolution of the SNES, while it could have been a proper port to begin with.

A game like Eternal Champions is a much better example of what the MegaDrive can do. It uses the higher resolution, makes some effort with colors (although uses a lot of dithering) and has much bigger sprites. All while maintaining smooth animation and gameplay.

Last edited:

Romulus

This is due to the incompetence of Capcom and nothing else. They were awful at developing on consoles back then. SFII on MegaDrive was a rushed job and SEGA had to intervene and tell them to do better about graphics. Their sound driver was complete shit. All of this has been fixed by the community by the way. Being a port, it was also using the weaker resolution of the SNES, while it could have been a proper port to begin with.

A game like Eternal Champions is a much better example of what the MegaDrive can do. It uses the higher resolution, makes some effort with colors (although uses a lot of dithering) and has much bigger sprites. All while maintaining smooth animation and gameplay.

Yeah I don't doubt many of the ports back then were rushed in some way or another. And if Capcom was that bad, they could have likely made even better versions on SNES too. The Sega CD version of Final Fight was solid.

small_law

There's no question Nintendo beat out Sega during the 16 bit console era. I loved my Genesis, but it aged quickly. I think that thing came out in 1989.

Nintendo winning the console war during this era wasn't the real story. It was the fact that PC gaming in the early '90s took off as more and more households bought computers. PC gaming was a pain in the ass back then, but from a technical standpoint, the consoles got boat raced. It's a testament to the Super Nintendo's library that it was able to hang around until the end of 1996.

This is due to the incompetence of Capcom and nothing else. They were awful at developing on consoles back then. S

Capcom was having such trouble with consoles releases, most "Capcom games" made on the Genesis and SNES weren't even made by Capcom (most that were, were on SNES however), in fact, some were made by Sega.

lachesis

Kinda both... Sega moved onto Saturn much earlier, except it kinda backfired pretty badly for them.
As a die hard Sega fan, Genesis is when they really had a good fight in west. Not so much in Japan, but they have done respectably.

Scotty W

Gold Member
Play Aladdin on both Snes and Sega. They are both fun and different to play through. Snes you threw apples and bounced on enemies heads like mario

But the SNES had the Genies Lamp stage, which is still incredible today.

I recall reading an interview from a Hudson staff programmer, where the programmer basically said NEC and Nintendo were 'friendly' and the market was big enough to share, or some such thing. Was something that caught me off guard, I'll try to find the link.

I don’t know if this is what you meant, but this is Nintendo letting Hudson use their flagship character on another system.

ed from the Sonic 1&2 one-two punch by then - I guess having a non-censored Mortal Kombat II and Super Street Fighter II showed SNES wasn‘t the little brother’s console once and for all.

Great point. MKii ended that talking point. Though it is interesting, as Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin points out, Killer Instinct actually sold better on the Snes. Only 1.5 million for MKii. Crazy.

There was a crash in 1992-1996 where the game industry went from over $7 billion to 2.3. 3D gaming on consoles reversed that trend pretty quickly. I think it was back to 7 or higher by end of 1997.

This is shocking to learn, as these are often seen as the halcyon days.

Scotty W

Gold Member
SNES is the better console by far but Genesis Aladdin was also amazing!

The music on the SNES version sounds better though

I have always supported both Alladin’s- however, as a kid I could never figure out how to beat Iago on the Genesis. I suspect that it was anti-rental gatekeeping.

Last edited:
You answered your own question. Genesis needed add ons to compete. SNES didn't. They keep it simple.

50 vs 30 million is a pretty devastating ass beating, especially considering SNES came out later.
That's a rather silly answer; The Snes needed extra chips in carts to compete, the Mega Drive didn't (bar one title) if we want to be so utterly childish and going early, is what helped SEGA get marketshare away from Nintendo in the USA.

They did win if you are objectively taking into account overall sales numbers and units sold, but that doesn't mean that Sega didn't give them a really good run for their money. In fact, Sega stood a pretty good chance of coming out on top for a while there in late 1991/ early 1992. But they were their own worst enemy. One can only wonder what they could've accomplished without all their in-fighting and dysfunctionality between Sega of America and Sega of Japan.

cireza

The Sega CD version of Final Fight was solid
Of course, it was developped by SEGA.

As for Capcom making a better SFII port on SNES, I think it would have been only marginally better. We have a good overview of what the SNES was capable of with other fighting games. It would have remained same resolution and same sprites, not much room to improve on this. While MD could have done much more, if it had not been a SNES port to begin with.

Last edited:

Romulus

Of course, it was developped by SEGA.

As for Capcom making a better SFII port on SNES, I think it would have been only marginally better. We have a good overview of what the SNES was capable of with other fighting games. It would have remained same resolution and same sprites, not much room to improve on this. While MD could have done much more, if it had not been a SNES port to begin with.

If Capcom was that awful as you say, that means they left alot of room on snes too.

cireza

If Capcom was that awful as you say, that means they left alot of room on snes too.
They probably did. But as stated, having played quite a bit of fighting games on SNES, we are closer to the limit of the system with SFII than we are on MegaDrive with the same game...

MegaDrive suffered from both having Capcom handling the port + the fact that it was a port from the SNES version rather than a brand new port from the arcade. So it also suffered the limitations that come with the SNES (resolution, sprite size), and that would have not existed if it had been a direct port.

SFII SNES :
136964--street-fighter-ii-turbo.png

SFII MegaDrive :
il_fullxfull.3236126556_800z.jpg

Eternal Champions on MegaDrive :
eternal-screen7.gif

Even with still pictures, the difference is pretty obvious. Another example...

Mortal Kombat II SNES :
92002-mortal-kombat-ii-snes-screenshot-the-ghosts-are-watching.gif

Mortal Kombat II MegaDrive :
29.gif

Bigger sprites, higher resolution.

The MegaDrive had no reason to suffer smaller resolution and sprites. The console was able to push 25% more pixels and handle more/bigger sprites at once.

Last edited:
Top Bottom