• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF-Watch Dogs Legion PC Review: Ray Tracing + GFX Upgrades - A Taste of Next-Gen?

Damn, I want to buy the get for the visuals alone. Does that make me a bad man?
No. It's worth buying just for the "virtual truism" aspect. It's the best recreation of a city in videogame, period. I lived in London for a year and it's amazing to re-visit some of the places.

Few more shots. Low-level lighting that is so very hard to nail in a game, it's so good here. Look at these brick building and tell me that they don't look glorious.

ZT1wYOq.jpg

YVqvkJC.jpg

rEQjzcD.jpg

IsNtkXP.jpg

With how pedestrian the game looks, i'd expect 4k120hz on XSX, game is just horrible

All the ugly hairstyles don't help lol

Lol indeed. Thank you for your amazing take.

Last edited:
The irony of reading a graphics elitist hot take from someone with a Zelda avatar 😂😂
Why’s that?

If watch dogs was any good, I would not care about its graphics much. Saints row 3 for example is an actually good sandbox game.

plus when the Zelda games came out, prior to skyward sword, they were advanced in one way or another.

Last edited:

Fake

Ah, okay. Then let's not talk about it then. Let me know when next gen starts so I can get excited again. 😅

You'll be the last one here to know when the next generation arrive.

I would exchange RT for better physics, more details and better textures

PS5 and seX will be probably have an option to do that. RT is really taxing. Can't say about more details, but probably better perfomance.

Last edited:
Honestly don't know if that is edited or legit. They didn't ship it like that, surely? Every twat wants to jump in the water from a height, so at least fucking try and make it act like water.
That's legit. I did it last night. Been playing a ton of Unity so it was cool to hear the audio eagle, but then the animation of everything is so bad that....it just. It's weird looking.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sorry for expressing fascination about video game graphics on a video game forum in a Digital Foundry thread.

Don't worry, your contribution is extremely valuable. Who still say those look bad then should stick to real life and quit gaming. Doesn't make the game any better, but visually it's wonderful.

Armorian

Banned
It's not a bad looking game overall, texture quality is quite high with ultra pack. Game eats up ~15GB of memory (combined) in 2560x1080 (with DLSS quality)

3gtLMp2l_o.png
TZH0b6ot_o.png

?

99th percentile min of 85 fps in an open world game is Terrific ! [and maybe it's still gpu limited even at 1080p]

Benchmark results have nothing on in game performance while driving, 9900K with RT and DLSS on 3080:

Drops to ~45FPS with ~75% GPU usage.

I don't know tha fk some of you smokin? I really don't. It looks near Photo Realistic, freakin gorgeous.

Most of you CeePee nerds got spoiled over the years but for us, Console broskies, this is our moment yall, our Next Gen!...hol that!!!

If you're watching a low bitrate YouTube video it will look like a mess. There's simply too much going on and there's too much detail for a YouTube video to process it. I guarantee you the game looks much more impressive in motion than on screenshots. I'm playing on 65 inch OLED with HDR. It's jaw-dropping at times.

Other than character models, everything is amazing. I'm especially impressed by the level of micro detail and number of object on every street corner. RTX is top-notch, especially at night.

Different setting, hard to compare. I would say RDR 2 is more consistent.

8nG5gR8.jpg

P3Ko9tg.jpg

kEUrZVg.jpg

12DdY8e.jpg

bS82LQY.jpg

I might've missed it, on which you platform you rocking this?

Benchmark results have nothing on in game performance while driving, 9900K with RT and DLSS on 3080:

Drops to ~45FPS with ~75% GPU usage.

Interesting. Sadly it seems even 30 series can't handle RT and it overloads RT cores causing those drops to 45 fps. Nothing to do with CPU. I play with 80 fps capped at very high without any drops, no RT.

VFXVeteran

Banned
He focuses on raytracing while not spending very much time on how the NPC (and character) faces look literally no better than current gen. Worse than current gen titles in many cases.
So does it have to have highly detailed characters on top of the RT in order for it to fit your next-gen agenda? Do you think Spiderman MM will have more detailed characters as well as all the reflections you see in WD?

xPikYx

So does it have to have highly detailed characters on top of the RT in order for it to fit your next-gen agenda? Do you think Spiderman MM will have more detailed characters as well as all the reflections you see in WD?
Problem is it is not that different from the division 2 apart from the Raytracing reflections (and sadly only that). Geomtrywise next gen means more geometry and higher quality geometry, I can't see that either

Lort

Banned
Playstation exclusive: make the most contrived bullshot possible ... amazball graphics

non playstation exclusive: find the worst image u can make ... see it sucks balls

VFXVeteran

Banned
Problem is it is not that different from the division 2 apart from the Raytracing reflections (and sadly only that). Geomtrywise next gen means more geometry and higher quality geometry, I can't see that either

Then Spiderman MM isn't next-gen either and should be stated as such.

Rickyiez

No , the game looks outdated even on max setting , RT seems like an afterthought . Faces are bad , animation are terrible , cloth physics is non existent ... everything just scream previous gen with a few static RT puddles and glass reflections added in .

It's not a good indicator of next gen .

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned

Less of an "agenda" and more something that is equally visible and (generally) obvious to everyone.

I never said anything about wanting all the raytracing seen in WD so not sure why you're trying to pin me with that strawman. My point is even the opposite - why waste all that effort on raytracing when the underlying character models look like shit?

scalman

Dont have any problem with models there. They look good. Leather jackets looks very good in rain
Dont just look at screenshots you need to play game even at 1080p it looks very good not best but very good.

And XSX 4k/30fps with rtx

Game have next gen npc creation kit there and thats great . They not created by devs like in other games
watch-dogs-legion-npcs-3.jpg

Name other game that would have that many diff npc in world with own dialog lines and would be living in world like people doing stuff.
Like when bus driver hits you with bike and you fall down he stops the bus and goes out to check on you.
And so on.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
Till it starts moving. Puddles don’t splash, worst offender considering they are everywhere.

Yeah it's such a shame. The world is beautiful but it's so sterile. My hopes for next gen are that games actually become more interactive, that the worlds react to the actions of the player.

In general, open worlds often feel like a museum. I want physics and destruction. Of course tearing the city down won't make sense. But windows, doors, bricks of buildings to a certain degree, streets etc should get realistically damaged.

Shmunter

Yeah it's such a shame. The world is beautiful but it's so sterile. My hopes for next gen are that games actually become more interactive, that the worlds react to the actions of the player.

In general, open worlds often feel like a museum. I want physics and destruction. Of course tearing the city down won't make sense. But windows, doors, bricks of buildings to a certain degree, streets etc should get realistically damaged.
Precisely, next gen to me is the advancement of world simulation. Materials, fluids, gas, fire, physics.

Top Bottom