• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF-Watch Dogs Legion PC Review: Ray Tracing + GFX Upgrades - A Taste of Next-Gen?

Jose92

[Membe

Join Alex Battaglia for the complete breakdown of Watch Dogs Legion on PC - how is it enhanced over the current-gen consoles? What does the ray tracing look like? And we have to wonder - how much of the enhanced experience will make its way to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5?

Evilms

Banned

Crazy dive

1504105705-risitas-jesussouffle.png

Perfection !

1491413962-10sur10.png

BluRayHiDef

Banned
If this is the taste of next gen then that makes RDR2 a taste of what's to come after next gen? And at better performance no less.

This is laughably average looking game with piss poor performance.

It surprisingly looks pretty good at 4K with settings set to Ultra. It doesn't look as good as RDR2, but that's understandable because its environment is much more dynamic and filled with active NPCs, vehicles, and drones. It's also surprisingly fun to play, though the gunplay feels goofy.

If this is next gen we need to go back. I like reflections but overall it looks like your typical bland as fuck ubisoft game.

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I hope this shows why the game is mostly 1440p even on Series X. Ray Tracing is mega expensive.

Hopefully there’s a non RT/60fps option added later.

Dolomite

Not sure about that title as the game has such a generic look and bad looking character models but decent breakdown. Ultra Ray tracing looks to be at the best half resolution(3:42). Not that it matters since no one will be zooming in windows in actual gameplay.
Agreed, character models and animations are the least impressive part of what I've seen thus far. Environment is A1 though. Lighting is unreal

I hope this shows why the game is mostly 1440p even on Series X. Ray Tracing is mega expensive.

Hopefully there’s a non RT/60fps option added later.
An SSR 60-120FPS Mode would be a Christmas miracle

Last edited:

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Agreed, character models and animations are the least impressive part of what I've seen thus far. Environment is A1 though. Lighting is unreal

An SSR 60-120FPS Mode would be a Christmas miracle

I don’t think WD Legion is getting anywhere near 120fps on console or many PC’s for that matter outside 720p/low settings lol.

Banned
LOL, true that. This game doesn't even have volumetric lighting...

which also wouldn't be new to any console or PC game. Raytracing is basically the only thing that really differentiates next gen graphics from current gen, everything else is just being refined really. textures getting sharper, polygons getting more numerous, particle effects getting more... particles... it's all just refinement while RT actually is something new that could barely be done before and now is finally something achievable.

Last edited:

Md Ray

It looks like a turd without RT, with RT it looks like a polished turd. 🙂

Dumb AF AI, abysmal looking character models. 🤮 Wtf Ubi?

I liked WD2, but this feels like it's nothing but a cash grab banking on the success of the previous 2 installments.

Last edited:

evanft

It looks like a turd without RT, with RT it looks like a polished turd. 🙂

Dumb AF AI, abysmal looking character models. 🤮 Wtf Ubi?

I liked WD2, but this feels like it's nothing but a cash grab banking on the success of the previous 2 installments.

A real person woke up this morning and decided to have this absolutely terrible take.

Looks insanely good, aside from models. What card you got?
3080. Ultra preset + ultra RTX and DLSS turned on.

I agree. Game is amazing looking. Character models are a joke, but some of the materials used for clothing looks so, so, so DAMN good. Take a look at shadowing / reflection on this hoodie:

pIeDKmc.jpg

BONUS:

Also, the amount of detail put into some of these store displays is truly insane. I never seen anything like it in a videogame.

3T0H4xQ.jpg

Last edited:

McCheese

Turns out my limit for listening to someone rattle on about reflections is 15 minutes. Super in-depth knowledge but fucking hell, didn't think the whole video was just about one effect. Zzz

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Forgot to say that the fabric looks amazing with those mini self shadowing details. Quite promising for what's coming next!

-Arcadia-

Banned
I’m surprised by how good this looks. Early peeks at the game seemed quite mediocre. Is it next-gen? Probably not. Is it a suitable evolution for the new tech? Absolutely.

The only thing that sucks is that this really cool looking open world, with so much effort put into it, is going to be bolted to an Ubisoft game. Despite it being one of the better tech showcases at launch, I can’t see myself ever playing this.

Next gen won’t arrive until there’s devs with a firm grasp of the new architecture and techniques involved. Once that happens, melting of the eyeballs will commence! On a side note, that Watch Dogs footage looks awful ☹️

Alienware

Why does the game look so good on screenshots and so not impressive in motion?
RTX effects are very good, but character models and details look average at best.

Ray tracing aside RDR 2 on PC looks better than this and I wouldn't even consider it particularly close.

Rikkori

Don't rely on any of his performance numbers. By testing in the benchmark & static scenes he pretty much is getting nothing but worthless data. The real hit in this game comes from traversing the world, where the CPU gets slaughtered & necessarily that bottlenecks the GPU hard too. Any performance numbers that aren't examined in motion are 100% useless.

Also DX12 is bugged with performance near water for some setups so I'd recommend sticking to DX11. And ofc, never touch extra details setting.

Game looks great & is a lot of fun, but has plenty of issues too. Overall worth playing through on a sub to Ubisoft+ and you get to dip your toes in Valhalla too, soon, so you can be properly sick of England. :p

Why does the game look so good on screenshots and so not impressive in motion?

If you're watching a low bitrate YouTube video it will look like a mess. There's simply too much going on and there's too much detail for a YouTube video to process it. I guarantee you the game looks much more impressive in motion than on screenshots. I'm playing on 65 inch OLED with HDR. It's jaw-dropping at times.

RTX effects are very good, but character models and details look average at best.

Other than character models, everything is amazing. I'm especially impressed by the level of micro detail and number of object on every street corner. RTX is top-notch, especially at night.

Ray tracing aside RDR 2 on PC looks better than this and I wouldn't even consider it particularly close.

Different setting, hard to compare. I would say RDR 2 is more consistent.

8nG5gR8.jpg

P3Ko9tg.jpg

kEUrZVg.jpg

12DdY8e.jpg

bS82LQY.jpg

Some additional thoughts: foliage (trees) could be better. Skyboxes at dusk/dawn look like dog-shit. Must be glitched.

One more shot to highlight that amazing night-time RTX lighting:

Le8AiFh.jpg

Few day-time driving shots. I'm surprised how great handling feels. Definitely the best in the series and one of the best for an open-world game.

f9WP1lu.jpg

TP1RbBX.jpg

JWITk6P.jpg

Top Bottom