• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF RETRO Play - Sonic Robo Blast: Doom Engine

RAIDEN1

Watching this right now...before i saw this thread...this would have been possible on the Saturn say using the Quake engine for example, but back then Sega was more interested in Project Dreamccast...

SCB3

An interesting game for sure, I liked what I played and I feel like the Saturn Demo on Sonic Jam was kinda going this way.

I still wanna check out that Sonic Chaos remake, is that finished yet?

SonicJams

Sonic moves too fast. It's difficult watching them needing to stop to gain control - amateur game design (if comparing to Sonic team's efforts in Sonic adventure 1 and 2, which nailed the speed and movement perfectly imo)

Still a cool fan game though and very creative.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nice visual shout out to Sonic Jam. That really was such a wonderful Saturn tech demo. Sonic controlled great in 3D (with a dang d-pad), it looked beautiful, the camera was decent and either following you or going overhead to help with jumps, etc. If only they could have made a full game with it.

Last edited:
Is not SEGA fault, is Sonic Team.
Sega keeps Sonic team on the projects year after year... This is like saying that Halo's current state is not Microsoft's fault, it's 343 studios (I picked that example because this is the most prominent at the moment).

Fake

Sega keeps Sonic team on the projects year after year... This is like saying that Halo's current state is not Microsoft's fault, it's 343 studios (I picked that example because this is the most prominent at the moment).

Well, Sonic Mania have the SEGA logo, but not Sonic Team.

They just need fire all Sonic Team members and hire new one.

cireza

Always felt that his game looked extremely meh, and this certainly did not change my mind. As a Sonic fan, I certainly don't want Sonic games to look like this. Everything feels random and useless, you can just skip everything. It moves way too fast, camera and character. Calling this a better Sonic game than the official ones is absolutely insulting.

Having to deal manually with the camera constantly makes it extremely annoying. For example the Robotnik fight, the boss is just standing in middle, but you still have to move the camera all the time, while it would be much more convenient if it was locked on the boss.

Finally, Sonic Team made perfectly fine 3D controls in Lost World. The wall interactions could need some refining, but everything else was perfectly fine.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
The game is so beautiful. Almost like an old Saturday morning cartoon come to life. For whatever reason, this is what I imagined these type of games would look like in 3D, not what we have.

So many great ideas too, from more control over Sonic to more open levels. I love the Sonic Adventure games, but this seems more ambitious and appropriate for Sonic?

If I were someone important at Sega, I would really be looking at this.

Miles708

Always felt that his game looked extremely meh, and this certainly did not change my mind. As a Sonic fan, I certainly don't want Sonic games to look like this. Everything feels random and useless, you can just skip everything. It moves way too fast, camera and character. Calling this a better Sonic game than the official ones is absolutely insulting.

100% agreed.
This game is impressive for a lot of reasons, but any (official) 3D Sonic game feels better to play. They've essentially forced a 3D gameplay in a 2D enviroment, and while it's an incredibly impressive frankenstein, it's still a frankenstein.

And on a side note, all these people releasing half-complete Sonic prototypes and claiming (themselves or their fanbase) to be better than the real thing, has honestly became really tiring.
Sonic Team is still made of professional people that makes actual commercial games. You're passionate and you're making incredible work as a passionate fan, but please know your place.

stranno

This fan game also looked quite good back in the day. Unfortunately only this short demo came out.

I also have to agree with the fact that New Super Mario Bros looks wrong in so many ways, the Macromedia Flash style to begin with, I just can accept that it is Nintendo quality game.

SCB3

As a Sonic fan, I certainly don't want Sonic games to look like this. Everything feels random and useless, you can just skip everything. It moves way too fast, camera and character. Calling this a better Sonic game than the official ones is absolutely insulting

Keep in mind that this idea probably came from the 3D levels in Sonic 2 and the whole of Sonic 3D Blast

SCB3

This fan game also looked quite good back in the day. Unfortunately only this short demo came out.

I also have to agree with the fact that New Super Mario Bros looks wrong in so many ways, the Macromedia Flash style to begin with, I just can accept that it is Nintendo quality game.

Thats just a modded Sonic 4 though

stranno

Thats just a modded Sonic 4 though
It doesn't have anything to do with Sonic 4, mostly because that demo was released 8 months before Sonic 4. It's an Unity fan game.

The style is light years ahead of Sonic 4 too. It's much more detailed and the style is more cohesive, Sonic 4 is just a mess in that front.

TPkR9Zfh.jpg

ZXTqpU3h.jpg

Last edited:

cireza

Awful art direction, bloated, overly saturated. This is the last thing I want to see in a Sonic game. Sonic 4 at least depicts the situation clearly and has clean graphics.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Really great episode. I'm glad John did this episode and exposed more people to the greatness of this Sonic fan game. I love the sprite work, the music, the speed, the open levels, and the excellent control of this game. SRB2 can be controlled just as easily with an XBox Controller or a keyboard and mouse.

I am so glad Sega allows this without worrying about cease and desist orders. Without fans doing excellent work like this we would have never ended up getting games like Sonic Mania.

He never showed some of the special stages though. For those who want to get an idea of what some of the special stages look like here are some Nights into Dreams style special stages to watch. Just don't watch through the whole video if you don't want all of those stages to be spoiled.

Also, here is a quick video rundown of a mod of this mod called Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart.

Miles708

I've actually always loved this demo. It's a pity the guy behind the project abandoned it.

Last edited:

the_master

Sega gets schooled on how to make proper Sonic games, again and again and again, by some guy in his basement... amazing!
This is a great demo. But probably nothing to school Sega.
You'd need to play a full game like this to see if it is as fun as Sonic Generations.
It is not so easy to make a 3D Sonic game.

Kazza

The thing I like most about this is what John mentioned about the gameplay being somewhat similar to the original Tomb Raider games. IYou are put in a space where you have to work out how to get to the higher platform and then be skilful enough to pull off the jump, not the automatic, scripted stuff you see in modern Tomb Raiders, Uncharted etc.

Top Bottom