• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: NBA 2K21 PS5 v Xbox Series X|S

This is reminding me of PS3 vs 360 where PS3 was clearly the more powerful hardware in theory, but in practice, the results were usually flipped for a variety of reasons.
But these 2 are on same x86 architecture. So its not the same at all. Ps3 was exotic architecture. X86 is what devs have used for longest time . Ps5 is just more efficient that's all

PaNaMa

Banned
So is Smart shift and boosting (frequency) what's carrying PS5 to hold 60fps while the XSX kinda hangs in there at 58fps? Boosted clock speeds will net that extra 2 fps. In almost every game, PS5 emerges victorious by a few FPS. It all has to come down to the clock speeds right?

Cherrypepsi

Df are scared of Sonygaf. That’s all. Some guy even posted a snapshot of ps5 frame drop but df won’t harp on it because if backlash.

tenor.gif

John and Alex lurking into neogaf threads

Leyasu

Banned
I'm seeing a pattern here. In multiple games now that have the same resolution on both, PS5 performs ever so slightly better. I don't think every game is bugged. In AssCreed when the resolution is similar (1440p) on both, XSX performed worse than PS5. XSX required an aggressive res scaler to clean up those fps dips. Pixel fillrate on XSX: 116 Gpix/s, PS5: 142.7 Gpix/s. As I said, the unit inside the GPU that handles the final pixel values is clearly much faster in PS5.

Yeah there is a pattern for sure. I would put it down to the rush to launch though. Again, you don't think that the devs could have cleaned that up? Are people saying that the console has already been maxed? Assassins creed though... Put RDR2 on both Xsx and the PS% in back compatible mode, and they would piss all over it in quality mode. If you could unlock the res and frame rate, I would be money they would annihilate it in performance mode also.

It's almost like Gpix/s are becoming the new TFs on Gaf. That is not a dig at you by the way.

HAL-01

So is Smart shift and boosting (frequency) what's carrying PS5 to hold 60fps while the XSX kinda hangs in there at 58fps? Boosted clock speeds will net that extra 2 fps. In almost every game, PS5 emerges victorious by a few FPS. It all has to come down to the clock speeds right?
It all comes down to the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Sony created an efficient machine, Xbox created a powerful machine. It’s not down to an individual component

Md Ray

Gotta say it though, in all my years of visiting gaming forums, I never heard "fillrate bound". I suppose that each new gen brings new things.. XsX maxed out already at launch. Gonna be the first gen where each succesive year of software gets notably worse instead of better.
Also, this is a thing among game dev community. They'll use this phrase from time to time when necessary. The general public won't use those words.

Here's a Unity engine documentation mentioning this "new thing":

nzwKWZO.png

Last edited:

I wouldn't be surprised if SmartShift is helping the PS5 maintain it's target framerate. When the GPU is stressed and needs more power it can obtain it from the CPU if it doesn't need it. Just a system to ensure that the CUs can remain fed with a fixed power budget.

PaNaMa

Banned
It all comes down to the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Sony created an efficient machine, Xbox created a powerful machine. It’s not down to an individual component

Yes but it's not magic. There isn't "soul" or some intangible transcendent quintessence here. Sony has this boost clock thing that Xbox kind of made a big deal about their console *not* being stricken by, and same with smart shift. Seems to me those are really the major differences - Sony hits higher clock speeds, and can divert power from CPU to GPU (or vice versa) to keep the performance of a scene fed by whatever is most important.

It's not as if Xbox is missing the mark by a large %, but it's just a few FPS lower consistently. Has to boil down to clock speeds.

Elog

For those that are diminishing what it going on, you need to remember MS hard played marketing pitch 'we lack exclusives (not stated but everyone knows)' but 'XSX will be the best place for multi-plats' and 'we have BC as opposed to competition' and 'game pass is a great subscription service'.

When the launch dust has settled the reality is that the platforms are on par for multi-plats with a small PS5 advantage, PS5 has great PS4 BC and the PS5 has the exclusives. Gamepass remains - it is a great value offer. However, many XSX fans made their XSX commitment based on - and rightfully so if you are not technically inclined - that XSX would be the best multi-plat console. This is clearly not true.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
For those that are diminishing what it going on, you need to remember MS hard played marketing pitch 'we lack exclusives (not stated but everyone knows)' but 'XSX will be the best place for multi-plats' and 'we have BC as opposed to competition' and 'game pass is a great subscription service'.

When the launch dust has settled the reality is that the platforms are on par for multi-plats with a small PS5 advantage, PS5 has great PS4 BC and the PS5 has the exclusives. Gamepass remains - it is a great value offer. However, many XSX fans made their XSX commitment based on - and rightfully so if you are not technically inclined - that XSX would be the best multi-plat console. This is clearly not true.

Many still are in denial though. Uncle Phil played them like fools.

MastaKiiLA

Nope the colors are actually different. A guy here posted side by side gameplay. Df are scared of Sonygaf. That’s all. Some guy even posted a snapshot of ps5 frame drop but df won’t harp on it because if backlash.
Dude, just stop. Realize that the sweat effect was first presented on the PS5. All footage up until launch was from the PS5 version. They sweat exactly the same. In fact, the pre-launch videos on the Xbox YT channel, are all from the PS5 version. We know this, because the PS5 versions of the same commercial said all footage was captured on the PS5. Just stop, man. Whatever you're trying to accomplish, isn't working.

Anyway, it looks like 2K might have either patched the PS5 version to remedy the difference in AF seen in the first comparisons, or the first comparison weren't using exactly the same camera angle. The early comparisons had pretty sharp transitions between mipmap levels, based on the camera height. The DF video looks smooth.

I love that John used Chad Warden as his player name. That's a classic easter egg right there.

I hope the next iteration of the graphics engine works on smoothing the transitions between animation loops. One of the things that stuck out to me in the video is that players still visibly carry when changing from stationary to moving. IRL, that's a turnover. Basically, the hand has to be treated as an object that's independent from the body, with the forearm-upperarm-shoulder linkage performing a realistic kinematic to allow the hand to contact the ball and redirect it in the direction of motion. I bet the 2K devs know this already, but can't make it work without it looking incredibly janky. Carries might be what we have to suffer for better overall animation. That or introduce sluggishness in controls, as you can't realistically move until you've had a chance to redirect the dribble accordingly.

Thinking about that more, maybe introduce some kind of dipping kinematic where the ball-side of the player dips with knee and waist bend, as well as lowering the hand (extending the arm) closer to the floor, so that it shortens the time before the ball can be redirected. This is essentially what makes for a great handle in basketball. The ability to keep a low dribble means you can change direction more easily, without exposing the ball to be stolen. It could offset any sluggishness introduced if you wanted to force players to only change direction when the ball contacts the hand. Then you'd be able to more realistically factor in the agility and handle stats that are present in the character attributes.

I'm tempted to get the game on the PS5, but if that Geologist trophy is as ridiculous as it seems, then I might just stick to it on PC. My save files would transfer over easily as well.

Md Ray

Are people saying that the console has already been maxed?
No, the consoles aren't already maxed. There are features of both console GPUs that aren't being utilized. Geometry engine on PS5 and mesh shaders on XSX and the likes.

Again, you don't think that the devs could have cleaned that up?
Cleaned what up? Frame-rate dips on SX? If the scene is hitting certain limitations such as pixel fillrate. There's no cleaning that up. PS5 will obviously come out on top, in that case. If the scene is ALU bound for e.g. XSX will certainly come out on top.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Could be. But then then the series S has the same problems with the same camera angle.

Gotta say it though, in all my years of visiting gaming forums, I never heard "fillrate bound". I suppose that each new gen brings new things.. XsX maxed out already at launch. Gonna be the first gen where each succesive year of software gets notably worse instead of better.
In the limited time and scope I jumped into PC gaming, fillrate, ROPs, ect were all I went by. Funnily enough...I never knew what a teraflop was until 2013:

Thats just the first example that popped up searching GPU Boss, a site I use for comparisons.
If teraflops is there, they dont list it as teraflops. Scroll down to Differences, this is what many have been saying about the PS5.

Looking past teraflops, the PS5 has advantages in the gpu.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

John:
"The difference is academic as this angle is useless during gameplay... It's just data though, so there you go"

DOH!!

5881861191_90de8b5bc9.jpg

Ev1L AuRoN

Series S flawless 60fps except for the parametric camera option where there is bigger dips.
Seires X has single frame drops plus bigger dips in parametric camera option.

I just watched that part of the video.. Looks like they got to where they could for launch and pushed it out. Nothing that a patch couldn't remove.
Maybe if they drop the resolution a bit, but seems extreme since the game run fine as it is. Just take the L.

Md Ray

I wouldn't be surprised if SmartShift is helping the PS5 maintain it's target framerate. When the GPU is stressed and needs more power it can obtain it from the CPU if it doesn't need it. Just a system to ensure that the CUs can remain fed with a fixed power budget.
It certainly is. That's a good point. I imagine in games like this the majority of those 16 threads are likely sitting dormant, and the GPU is doing a lot of heavy lifting while being aided by SmartShift to squeeze out a few more pixels, or in this case performance. :pie_ssmiling:

HAL-01

Yes but it's not magic. There isn't "soul" or some intangible transcendent quintessence here. Sony has this boost clock thing that Xbox kind of made a big deal about their console *not* being stricken by, and same with smart shift. Seems to me those are really the major differences - Sony hits higher clock speeds, and can divert power from CPU to GPU (or vice versa) to keep the performance of a scene fed by whatever is most important.

It's not as if Xbox is missing the mark by a large %, but it's just a few FPS lower consistently. Has to boil down to clock speeds.
It’s nothing intangible, but there’s not much you can point at on a spec sheet and say “that’s it!” Spec sheets are a gross simplification of what’s actually in the silicon. At the end of the day it’s only the computer engineers in charge of the console who fully understand what makes it tick

ABnormal

You guys taking shots. Remember when Xbox guys were doing it? I know some of it is good fun but be prepared to eat some Crow when XB wins one of these. I just hope it is not Cyberpunk because that is going to give them a ginormous epeen and they will never shut up about it.
So XSX winning a comparison (also, by how much? A single digit percentage?) should be something PS fans should be worried about? But have you realized that XSX is supposedly a "12 Tfs" machine, that should supposedly ALWAYS win by a margin of at least 20% in performance and/or resolution and/or rendering? How in the world some winning could be surprising? It is the current trend that is surprising, because this actual parity (with even a slight advantage on PS5) is by itself a victory for PS5. Without all those months of MS marketing based on "most powerful system"), we would now discuss only about games. But no, they had to shot themselves on the foot, and now (and all XBOX fans that are continuing to negate reality) they have to reap what they sown.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

So XSX winning a comparison (also, by how much? A single digit percentage?) should be something PS fans should be worried about? But have you realized that XSX is supposedly a "12 Tfs" machine, that should supposedly ALWAYS win by a margin of at least 20% in performance and/or resolution and/or rendering? How in the world some winning could be surprising? It is the current trend that is surprising, because this actual parity (with even a slught advantage on PS5) is by itself a victory for PS5. Withouth all those months of MS marketing based on "most powerful system), we would now discuss only about games. But no, they had to shot themsselves on the foot, and now (and all XBOX fans that are continuing to negate reality) they have to reap what they sown.

Yeah.

The consensus before these systems were released was that Xbox would likely have an edge when it came to performance, and PS5 would be faster. That the PS5 is identical, or rather, flat out beats the XSX each time is something no one expected and the reactions about it aren't strange.

The most beautiful thing of it all is that you can get a PS5 for 399.

Lysandros

I'm seeing a pattern here. In multiple games now that have the same resolution on both, PS5 performs ever so slightly better. I don't think every game is bugged. In AssCreed when the resolution is similar (1440p) on both, XSX performed worse than PS5. XSX required an aggressive res scaler to clean up those fps dips. Pixel fillrate on XSX: 116 Gpix/s, PS5: 142.7 Gpix/s. As I said, the unit inside the GPU that handles the final pixel values is clearly much faster in PS5. There are other units like the vector ALU and TMUs that are faster in XSX.
ALUs/TMUs aren't faster in XSX. There are more of them. Every single component of XSX's GPU (including ALUs) is slower compared to PS5. There is nothing faster in XSX's GPU.

It's certainly possible. All of these cross-gen games barely engage the Zen 2 CPU since they have to run on a tablet CPU from 2013.

sircaw

Banned
Well i admit i am caught off guard at how much delayed MS devtools are than i expected. I always communicated cautiously about SX/SS launch games based what we have heard about their development run up.

Likewise, im blown away at how perfect sony achieved their goals in making ps5 their fastest, easiest development console ever.

I guess both ends going further than expectations, result in what we are seeing with launch games now. 🤷‍♀️

Cliche as it will sound, we just gotta wait for wave 2 games, unfortunate that MS systems are hit with delays, hitches in stability and unable to show it power properly.

Personally, i am just so impressed that cerny somehow coded it into the ps5 to be immune to all things covid too, he really is a genius. "lollipop_disappointed:

Top Bottom