• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: NBA 2K21 PS5 v Xbox Series X|S

I find it interesting that Sony had the power advantage for the first half of last gen (when the PS5 was in early planning probably) and their key takeaway from its success was that they need to double down on ease of development and removing bottlenecks, NOT power.

Everything they have done for the PS5 has revolved around making development easier, faster, more streamlined, and more efficient, while providing gamers with new ways to experience games. I don't know why Sony and Microsoft learned such different lessons from last gen.

MastaKiiLA

While the XSX drops some frames in parametric camera, no one really uses that mode. However, it is worth noting that that camera can be useful if you're in myCareer mode, and locked into only your player. In that scenario, you don't control the ballhandler, just your specific player. So having an end-long view of the court can be advantageous, particularly if you're a forward or center.

That said, I only play the high camera, as I prefer to see the entire half-court. And I prefer to control the ballhandler, as I'll run my offense through my player every game. You're not breaking Wilt's record without some cheese. 40 FGA per game on some Brodie shit. LOL.

What a flop the Series X has been. It's undeniable now.

I get that the ps5 is performing better (whether it's because it's engineered better or more powerful) but really the fanboyism here is immense.

Really... A massive Flop? Because it looses 5 frames more? Why do half the gaming community really HATE the xbox. Just enjoy your PS5 and gaming as a whole.

When I owned a PS3 I didn't consider it a flop even though games were behind the 360 counterpart. I enjoyed it massively.

Last edited:

ABnormal

I get that the ps5 is more powerful but really the fanboyism here is immense.

Really... A massive Flop? Because it looses 5 frames more? Why do half the gaming community really HATE the xbox. Just enjoy your PS5 and gaming as a whole.

When I owned a PS3 I didn't consider it a flop even though games were behind the 360 counterpart.

Well, I don't think he was referring to the difference in performance, but from the point of the premise. Maybe the sense is that it failed to deliver on power, games presented like Halo have been underwelming, almost every game has been delayed and there's none at launch, sales have been far below PS5...
What else can be said?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You don't think its bad that the worlds most powerful 12flop console is being smacked around by a 10.3 machine, whos developer also spent a massive chunk of their cash on making a next-gen controller and a much faster ssd?>

Please tell you can see these points?

Well, if you are right, they just spent money in other areas, perhaps smartly as it turns out.
But I dont think it's nearly as horrible to xbox as many extreme posters are pointing out, every generation had one console more powerfull than the other, and often times it didn't matter at all.
I think ms can live and thrive at parity, regardless.

Md Ray

Both can't be right here. Either the game is maxing the console or not no?

Hitting the performance ceiling would be running at the maximum.. Or is that wrong? I am having a hard time understanding.
Both can be right. You can hit perf ceiling of certain units in the GPU without using new features of the GPU as multiple games have shown so far. PS5's GPU has a clear advantage in some parts of the GPU over XSX like triangle rasterization for instance. So if a game/scene happens to be bound by that then XSX will obviously suffer. Not very hard to understand.

What is great about this generation is how similar the performance of the new machines appears to be. The PS5 surprised me. It's not that the Series X is disappointing, it's just that I never expected the PS5 to be a carbon copy of the the Series X when it comes to graphics and performance. The marketing team at Sony were smart letting the games do the talking instead of talking about power and teraflops like Microsoft did. When the comparisons came out that triggered a positive reaction in those that tempered their expectations with the PS5 and disappointed those that were expecting a noticeable and meaningful Series X advantage.

Though I never believed for a second that the difference in performance between them would be large like some were swearing it would be, I was sure that the Series X would have a minor resolution-effects advantage OR framerate advantage (but never both at the same time). But it seems clear after all those comparisons that these two consoles are siblings when it comes to performance and there are times that the PS5 might have a really small advantage in really small aspects of the rendering or framerate AND vice versa.

Though I bought a PS5 I'll get a Series X later on because since the Dreamcast generation I support every console because there will always be UNFORGETTABLE exclusive games on every main platform. Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and Xbox have given me great memories....as did the PS3/360/Wii/PS4 and Xbox One.

Since I'm divorcing and play more on the PlayStation ecosystem I had to buy two PS5 (one for me and one for my kids) instead of the next gen duo (PS5/Series X). But this time around it's clear that if you buy only one next gen console you will have the same experience (and when there are differences those will NOT be meaningful in ANY way) in contrary to what happened to those that bought the PS3 and XBox One and weren't happy about the noticeable graphics and performance delta between the consoles of their respective generations.

This time no one can complain about absolutely nothing. Well except for Nintendo fans like me that would tlike to see them return to high end consoles. I miss the company that created the SNES (mode 7 and revolutionary sound), the Nintendo 64 (filtered textures and antialiasing) and Gamecube (and excellent all around console that could apply texture effects in an effortlessly way using the TEV engine like the Xbox did with it's pixel shaders and could display many polygons like the Playstation 2).

Yeah, my only complaint is about Nintendo leaving the high end console realm...

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Just another reminder - the machines are same price.

?

Is this why some Xbox folks are in denial? Because the DE is the same as the regular PS5, and not a weaker sku?

Sony played their hand beautifully.

Hmm, but i bought ps5 for 400$?
STOP THE COUNT!!!

The PS5 DE doesnt count for insane reasons....and yet the Series S does, even tho the stock split is probably similar...

I guess if the DE had lesser specs it would count?

Last edited:

wachie

You don't think its bad that the worlds most powerful 12flop console is being smacked around by a 10.3 machine, whos developer also spent a massive chunk of their cash on making a next-gen controller and a much faster ssd?>

Please tell you can see these points?
He needs to first admit it's a 10.3 TF machine.
This article just proves that there are issues with speed when the system is pressed and the system really is 9 Teraflops as originally shared. Only die hard Sony fans would run in here stating this puts anything to bed.
Still a powerful machine in it's own right that will have some amazing games, just can't measure up to the series X. I will buy both as soon as budget permits.
For someone who "owns both machines", he's very active in how both are essentially the same when in fact he was cheerleading the Series X as the outright performant console.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
And thats a farcry from the minimum 20% difference narrative Xbox fanboys have been screaming about for the last 8 months. The whole Xbox community needs to just conced that they were wrong and these systems are close as fuck, as they should be based on the BoM.

I concede they are close now that I've seen and played some results. But thats not whats being said on these forums now, now its "ps5 is by far more powerfull" and "series x is far inferior" over and over again. Its misleading and Stoughton up incorrect. And its not one poster, its a whole bunch of rabid and bitter sony fans who only own a ps5 and are confirming thier low self worth by validating the machine they bought.
Or the group who thinks they should "stick it to xbots" over and over again like 10yr olds.

Yoboman

I concede they are close now that I've seen and played some results. But thats not whats being said on these forums now, now its "ps5 is by far more powerfull" and "series x is far inferior" over and over again. Its misleading and Stoughton up incorrect. And its not one poster, its a whole bunch of rabid and bitter sony fans who only own a ps5 and are confirming thier low self worth by validating the machine they bought.
Or the group who thinks they should "stick it to xbots" over and over again like 10yr olds.
Maybe you should take a breather and not have a meltdown about how mean Sony fans are because PS5 is more powerful

ethomaz

Banned
“Series X has single frame drops plus bigger dips in parametric camera option.”

tumblr_mngx21FyhC1qa8jwfo1_500.gif
I believe the single frame drops is related to VSYNC not working all the time because when you have that on PC your framerate drops to 59 too.

Its not one frame
It is one frame.
DF says the Series X version drops one frame occasionally.

That is separately from the issues on parametric camera.

Last edited:
Well, if you are right, they just spent money in other areas, perhaps smartly as it turns out.
But I dont think it's nearly as horrible to xbox as many extreme posters are pointing out, every generation had one console more powerfull than the other, and often times it didn't matter at all.
I think ms can live and thrive at parity, regardless.
While most everything else is a wash right now, if MS dosen't deliver on the exclusives its going to be a long gen for them and Xbox fans. I think what you are seeing is that Sony fans are now confident that the PS5 is "the" next gen console because it competes with MS where it was never given a chance and has a storied history of delivering block buster after block buster. I am hopeful for Xbox because of thier new studios but only hopful until i see results.

Leyasu

Banned
Both can be right. You can hit perf ceiling of certain units in the GPU without using new features of the GPU as multiple games have shown so far. PS5's GPU has a clear advantage in some parts of the GPU over XSX like triangle rasterization for instance. So if a game/scene happens to be bound by that then XSX will obviously suffer. Not very hard to understand.
Ok, so what would the new features be used for then?

But....... The 12 teraflops..............faster CPU.............faster bandwidth............... Best place to play multiplatform...............20-40% more power.............
Sounds like you spend too much time reading press releases than focusing on what matters.

John Wick

Riky said:
We'll see, also with the RDNA2 features I would think within 12 months Series S could be pushing PS5 pretty hard, I wouldn't worry about Series X If I were you it'll be out of sight by then.

This is pure comedy gold. This is Timdog and Dealer level of delusion. Like you would have to be proper cuckoo to think the XSS would push PS5 pretty hard because of RDNA2 features. They've been so brainwashed by MS marketing they think PS5 achieves everything through software only and it has no hardware features. Dumb and dumber

Popup

If the power was the same, they would fight over the games. if the games were the same, they would fight over the controller. If the controllers were the same, they would fight over the sales. If the sales were the same, they would fight over who was more likely to make the Podcast-Women Top Ten Dick List (TM)

Spokker

I get that the ps5 is performing better (whether it's because it's engineered better or more powerful) but really the fanboyism here is immense.
I have both sitting at home. Is it fanboyism to disclose which one I turn on more? Prior to release I was looking forward to Series X the most, but I found myself playing the PS5 more both for PS5 games and backwards compatibility.

5 frames in an NBA 2K game, which turns into how many frames in an actual next-gen game with all of the next-gen features upped to the nth degree?

There is no reason the world's most powerful console should be dropping a single frame.

Last edited:
WTF going on here... In video guy said they identical, so why ps fanboys going cazy? 🤣

Parametric viewpoint camera angle drop is a bug i suppose and will get patched in. Also who plays game in that camera angle? lol

Spokker

Blind test, series x vs ps5 - i bet they pick the series X version as the "best one" half the time because they can't tell the difference. (Since they are 99.9% identical in output)
Forza Horizon 4, a first party Xbox Series X game upgrade, doesn't even have real time shadows during races or ambient occlusion, both features that the Xbox One X has.

Sorry, but people who spent $500 and however many hours trying to buy the damn thing are more likely to notice and appreciate these things. If it were one or two games, fine, chalk it up to early development woes, but the early showings from Xbox are falling behind PS5 when they shouldn't be.

Hell, the one game I do play on Series X, Planet Coaster, has a stuttery frame rate when things get too complex. I thought these machines were supposed to have way better CPUs. It doesn't bode well for future simulation games.

I bought the Xbox Series X and can see it plain as day. True fanboyism would be denying these issues.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Ok, so what would the new features be used for then?
RT effects for one, using RT hardware, obviously. Improve visuals effects, rendering features, LOD, and other optimizations for next-gen games using primitive shaders on PS5. UE5 demo used PS5's primitive shaders for nanite, the micro-polygon renderer, the tech that's responsible for immense geometric detail with no LOD 'popping'.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Of course it's a draw. Saying PS5 won this is just stating data backed facts to spite the Xbox fanboys who spent the last 12 months talking BIG TIME. Writing checks their uncle Phil's ass couldn't cash. It's hilarious, exclusives? Pff, who cares. A new controller? Pff this old one is perfect. "Imma be playing the best version of multiplats on the most powerful console ever made, gonna be anywhere between 20% to 40% more performant than PS5!!!" :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

WTF going on here... In video guy said they identical, so why ps fanboys going cazy? 🤣

Parametric viewpoint camera angle drop is a bug i suppose and will get patched in. Also who plays game in that camera angle? lol
If you're a guard or perimeter-oriented wing player, you don't. However, forwards or centers with strong post games can benefit from it, as it gives you a better angle for gaining good post position on both offense and defense. Perticularly for myCareer, where you are controlling a single player all game.

TBH, the sideline cam from the floor level is the single most-useless camera in the game, yet it's the one featured in most videos, including this one. Parametric and sky (nosebleed seats) are the 2 best camere angles, depending on your style of play. I prefer to play a stretch-4, so I generally stick with the high camera. I like to chuck 3s, and postups are situational. You're not leading the league in scoring with an inside-the-arc game only.

I think parametric also works well for street ball, as you don't need to see as much of the halfcourt, but I never play that mode. I will in this game though, as they have vastly expanded that mode.

Last edited:
Top Bottom