• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Guardians of the Galaxy: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - A Great Game But 60FPS Comes At A Cost

ethomaz

Banned
The XSS has a more advanced GPU than the X1X too. Games like Resident Evil Village has no raytracing on X1X but does on XSS. People don't seem to know the capabilities of the system they constantly criticize.
There think there is no RT on consoles in this game.
And Xbox One X seems to be running at higher resolution due it capabilities… not sure about which resolution but it has a sharper image in the comparisons I saw.

Edit - Seems like they are working on RT for consoles for a late patch… not at launch.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Maybe it’s too much work? All I know is, when PS games are cross gen we get the misquoted “we believe in generations” line.
So, including 100+ million customers is bad while we transition into a new gen, but anchoring that new gen to a bottom that still has issues a year in is great.
why? Because it’s gives new customers options? What about your existing customers and the industry as a whole?
I don't know why you're turning this into some weird PS / Xbox debate. I'm happy playing Metroid on Switch, and that's not even 1080p. I don't really care what Sony does with their first party in terms of gens. 99% of games still don't look as good as Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2.

Just pointing out that this seems like a huge rush job in terms of optimization, across the board. Even on the PS5 and Series X everyone is reporting that the performance mode is surprisingly bad. XSS could also be optimized further. Seems like everything could be optimized further.

Concern

Not really. It's a great looking game rivaling anything else out there.

Not saying its a bad looks game. But what was the last game with a 1080p/60fps performance mode we got on the XSX/Ps5? Iirc it was a launch game.

I think they could have at least hit 1440p/60fps.

FrankWza

I don't know why you're turning this into some weird PS / Xbox debate. I'm happy playing Metroid on Switch, and that's not even 1080p. I don't really care what Sony does with their first party in terms of gens. 99% of games still don't look as good as Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2.

Just pointing out that this seems like a huge rush job in terms of optimization, across the board. Even on the PS5 and Series X everyone is reporting that the performance mode is surprisingly bad. XSS could also be optimized further. Seems like everything could be optimized further.
I’m not turning it into a debate. That’s not my plan or intention. It’s an example of one being portrayed as bad and one being ok and it makes zero sense. If one can’t keep up already or if it’s dragging things down then perhaps it was a mistake that is now Unfixable and will continue to cause issues for all 3rd party games going forward.
Even if we don’t see them, we don’t know what devs need to do behind closed doors but it’s obvious that there is an issue for a console that exists for the purpose of giving people “options”
The PS5 gives people options with 2 skus and it doesn’t drop the floor for this gen.

ethomaz

Banned
Wish Sony or Microsoft would have had the balls to release a 399-499 base console and a $800-1000 pro console at launch.
I’m in the opposite side.
I don’t like Pro or upgrade consoles in a generation… last generation it should be only PS4 imo.

Pro generated some issues… devs not talking advantage of it due the base being PS4, devs not having time enough to optimize two profiles instead of focus in one, and different framerates between both profiles (even Sony promising that that should not be the case… yeap they lied).

I hope Sony doesn’t make that mistake with PS5 again but I believe $$$ is more important than ecosystem quality for them… so we gamers lose anyway.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I’m not turning it into a debate. That’s not my plan or intention. It’s an example of one being portrayed as bad and one being ok and it makes zero sense. If one can’t keep up already or if it’s dragging things down then perhaps it was a mistake that is now Unfixable and will continue to cause issues for all 3rd party games going forward.
Even if we don’t see them, we don’t know what devs need to do behind closed doors but it’s obvious that there is an issue for a console that exists for the purpose of giving people “options”
The PS5 gives people options with 2 skus and it doesn’t drop the floor for this gen.
DF is telling people to not play this game in 60 fps on XSX or PS5. That's a first as far as I can tell, and it's a linear game too. All I'm seeing is a poorly optimized game.

I don't think anyone is claiming that XSS is as powerful as XSX. We're just pointing out that all 3 of the current gen consoles could probably be optimized further.

sendit

I’m in the opposite side.
I don’t like Pro or upgrade consoles in a generation… last generation it should be only PS4 imo.

Pro generated some issues… devs not talking advantage of it due the base being PS4, devs not having time enough to optimize two profiles instead focus in one, and different framerates between both profiles (even Sony promising that that should not be the case… yeap they lied).

I hope Sony doesn’t make that mistake with PS5 again but I believe $$$ is more important to them ecosystem quality.

Played the best possible version of Ghost of Tushima and The Last of Us 2 on a PS4 Pro at the time of release.

Dynamic resolution scaling and a locked 60 FPS/uncapping FPS would be the only things dev's need to do to justify a higher priced Pro console. 30 FPS is a slide show to me. A base console price of $399-499 would still capture a wide audience. A $800-1000 console would satisfy those who want more performance without sacrificing image quality. Technology moves at a rapid pace, waiting 7-10 years for a new generation to me is unsatisfactory (Which is why i'm primarily a PC gamer).

Last edited:
Looks like they heavily optimized for the 4k30 modes on ps5\SX but didn't try so hard with the 60fps modes and Series S.

4k30 to 1080p60 with lower textures and more pop in an still not solid 60? That is clearly not optimized and i'm not interested in this game but would choose the 4k30 mode in this case.

Ratchet and clank does its 60fps mode right.

^definatly did not get the attention it needs on Next Gen .. It is easy logic. They had a budget - they came close and there was no time (money) to dive in deeper to make it run better .. simple.

FrankWza

DF is telling people to not play this game in 60 fps on XSX or PS5. That's a first as far as I can tell, and it's a linear game too. All I'm seeing is a poorly optimized game.

I don't think anyone is claiming that XSS is as powerful as XSX. We're just pointing out that all 3 of the current gen consoles could probably be optimized further.
I get it. But that requires it to be worked on. Instead of working on 2 systems they’re working on 3. Maybe that time would have resulted in better results? Hard to believe it would not.

nowhat

But the second Deus Ex maaaaan. I was such a fanboy of the first one. And I wanted soooo much to like the second one. In the end I didn’t finish it.
I think you may have dodged a bullet, because it doesn't really end. I mean it does, there are the end credits and all. But does it end with a satisfying conclusion instead of a cliffhanger that is not earned at all, fuck no.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Is this game on xbox one and ps4?

Just watching this now.

I have this on pc but I haven't started it properly yet. My 3080 smashed the intro section. 1080p 60 seems low :/

FrankWza

3 is indeed a bigger number than 2. No one can take that from you sir.
50% no? I’m bad at math. Nothing to sneeze at.
On the switch using that streaming gimmick too. If only that had the one less sku to work on…. FrankWza FrankWza could sleep at night…

PS4 and XB1 will be left behind eventually though. And I mentioned last gen too. I’d rather cater to 100+ million existing customers than gimp new customers and bottleneck an industry.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
VRR saves the day once again. Xbox not having any drops when ps5 does In the intro garden pan.

Xbox performing better in this week's big release but it looks like this game needs some patches.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It looks fucking terrible, not sure from the technical standpoint, but art is fucking ugly.

Also the performance going from 4K to 1080p seems rather odd. Also no DRS, etc.

Trash

And the "this game is instead of Deus Ex" is just an icing on my hate cake.
The art is ugly? k.
Deus Ex is dead. Cope.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
50% no? I’m bad at math. Nothing to sneeze at.

PS4 and XB1 will be left behind eventually though. And I mentioned last gen too. I’d rather cater to 100+ million existing customers than gimp new customers and bottleneck an industry.

how about do everyone a favor and just keep threads on target instread of fowling them up with your own brand on console warring.

Last edited:
Is this a case of an engine that favors XSX design?

It's a case of videogames liking optimization. It seems there were no plans initially to give this game a 60fps option. The 60fps option was clearly a late in the game addition. That's the only reason it isn't performing better on both Series X and PS5. Then again, it seems to be pushing a lot more visually, possibly geometry wise, than it's being given credit for. The game surprisingly has quite a bit going on, but it should perform a whole lot better on both systems.

And there are people reporting it running at 1440p at max settings at 60fps on their 2070 Supers? Is that confirmed?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The art is ugly? k.
Deus Ex is dead. Cope.
pepe.jpg

Vognerful

It's a case of videogames liking optimization. It seems there were no plans initially to give this game a 60fps option. The 60fps option was clearly a late in the game addition. That's the only reason it isn't performing better on both Series X and PS5. Then again, it seems to be pushing a lot more visually, possibly geometry wise, than it's being given credit for. The game surprisingly has quite a bit going on, but it should perform a whole lot better on both systems.

And there are people reporting it running at 1440p at max settings at 60fps on their 2070 Supers? Is that confirmed?
So even with poor optimization, it slightly performs better on XSX?

I kid, but isn't many games like that ? I mean they don't scale properly when played on stronger hardware? Is it due to engine design.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
This should never be considered a good thing. So few people have vrr capable displays.

But more and more people have them everyday and it's good to be forward thinking. This will be the normal by next gen.

I agree with you that developers shouldn't rely on it but it's there if it's needed in the event the engine buckles. Like it is in this game.

Let's not pretend that 100 of thousands of ganers worldwide have VRR displays. I would put money that they do.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
It looks fucking terrible, not sure from the technical standpoint, but art is fucking ugly.

Also the performance going from 4K to 1080p seems rather odd. Also no DRS, etc.

Trash

And the "this game is instead of Deus Ex" is just an icing on my hate cake.

Believe me, I hate that they cancelled DE and got put on Marvel shit but I like GotG. Even bought the game because it gets good word of mouth, yet to play it though.

Duchess

I won't be picking this game up until sometime next year. With any luck, the devs will have some time to iron out the performance mode ... er ... performance dips.

Md Ray

So it was 1080p and not 1440. Still not sure why it had to go so low along with lowered effects to boot…I’m just not getting where the bottleneck is.
The game is quite heavy on the GPU even at 1080p. Not an apples-to-apples comparison but RX 5700's perf here at 1080p below Ultra setting should give you an idea of how demanding it is.

48fps vs 54fps

PC
PBF2DXw.jpg

PS5
YDZvoDE.png

Last edited:

Thebonehead

Banned

Md Ray

I don't really wanna play 30 fps lol but 1080 is ehh... Do we think it'll run better on my 2080S and ryzen 5 3600xt? Maybe I should do PC after all, even though I wanted a disc
PC has DLSS as well as dynamic resolution. 1440p w/ DLSS and DRS engaged should provide a stable 60.

Last edited:
The game is quite heavy on the GPU even at 1080p. Not an apples-to-apples comparison but RX 5700's perf here at 1080p below Ultra setting should give you an idea of how demanding it is.

48fps vs 54fps

PC
PBF2DXw.jpg

PS5
YDZvoDE.png

I get that, but it’s the fact that it’s literally pulling off half the pixels per second of the quality mode on the same console, if it were a GPU bottleneck that just doesn’t jive with the numbers between quality and performance on both consoles.

Along with the fact that performance mode has all around lower settings, while still producing worse framerate drops compared to quality mode, normally that would indicate a CPU bottleneck, but that shouldn’t be the case at all here. There’s something in the performance mode that’s hogging too many resources for what it‘s doing.

Top Bottom