• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Guardians of the Galaxy: PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - A Great Game But 60FPS Comes At A Cost

ethomaz

Banned
Articles for these interested.

Play in 4k30 and don’t bother to try the 60fps mode unless there is some late patch.

It is not just the worst framerate… the downgrade is really severe here.

Last edited:

Arioco

Yeah, even more perplexing is that it suffers bigger frame drops compared to quality mode too. It just doesn’t seem to make any logical sense.

And it's not just a rez bump, apparently the 4K mode also has higher settings for thing like ambient occlusion. It's really weird they had to use 1/4 resolution plus lower setting to achieve 60 fps.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
1080p 30 fps for XSS , with graphical cut backs
200.gif
It did have 60fps mode but its been patched out. Ran at about 50fps though. It appears this game wasn't quite ready and a 60fps mode may appears in the future.

Xbox Series S | Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy | Graphics Test/First Look V2.4 - YouTube

ethomaz

Banned
And it's not just a rez bump, apparently the 4K mode also has higher settings for thing like ambient occlusion. It's really weird they had to use 1/4 resolution plus lower setting to achieve 60 fps.
Geometry LODs, Textures quality, AF, AO, shadow quality and foliage density are in higher settings on 4k mode.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
If it’s 4K 30fps on the bigger consoles, why is it so surprising that it’s 1080p 30fps on the XSS? Wasn’t that what it was advertised for? Same games as the bigger consoles, with resolution cutback to 1080p or 1440p at best, and lower res textures due to the smaller RAM.

am i missing something here ?

nowhat

Geometry LODs, Textures quality, AF, AO, shadow quality and foliage density are in higher settings on 4k mode.
Playing this on PS5 in the performance mode, at the very beginning there are those 80s flashbacks. And the vegetation pop-in is atrocious. Like really, really bad. I was worried that this was going to be the case for the rest of the game, but it seems to mostly just affect those Earth sequences. The framerate does tank towards the end of the game though.

Last edited:
If it’s 4K 30fps on the bigger consoles, why is it so surprising that it’s 1080p 30fps on the XSS? Wasn’t that what it was advertised for? Same games as the bigger consoles, with resolution cutback to 1080p or 1440p at best, and lower res textures due to the smaller RAM.

am i missing something here ?
Scenario that some expect goes like this.

Assumption: Games in general will become increasingly demanding
1. Even games coming out now are 4k30/1080p60 on the big consoles.
2. As games become more powerful future games on the big consoles might be 1440p30
3. Given the power differential with the XSS, it would have to run at less than 1080p and maybe 30fps

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm glad I got the PS5 because those Series S concessions are too much to ever consider it.

I'll definitely play Halo on it but this will be mainly a PC game if I ever buy it.

The next gen versions are solid as expected.

I'll always echo how blessed we are to have these options and it's never been this good since 3d consoles have come along.

Let us pray.

EDIT

Also good for XB having VRR but at least it's a mainly stable 60 so VRR is invalidated for the most part but there's your list wars argument.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
My point stands that the XSS should out perform the last generation consoles. The fact that this is a cross generational title is no indication of current generation performance.
Depend of the last generation.

It should indeed outperform PS4, XB1 and probably PS4 Pro.
Not XB1 X for example… unless it is a CPU bound game.

Last edited:
I don't see why these games couldn't have been at higher resolution with 60fps, but in fairness, their game is doing quiet a bit from a visual and combat gameplay perspective. It's a genuinely amazing looking game, however. Series X definitely takes this one with clear superior performance in the 60fps mode compared to the PS5, and there are areas where Series X appears locked where PS5 isn't.

They must be able to do better than this though with performance on both systems. Hoping they issue some updates and boost resolution because they should be able to do that for the 60fps mode. I don't believe 1080p is the best the systems can do at all. They need to optimize better for both systems.

Oh, and VRR continues to be one of the most amazing features this generation. Series X having that it is huge, and it legitimately makes it so that performance much of the time, if the feature is ever needed, is a total non-issue on Series X. Don't want devs leaning on it as a crutch all the time, however, but in this game where optimization seems to be off in places, it's very welcome.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
My point stands that the XSS should out perform the last generation consoles. The fact that this is a cross generational title is no indication of current generation performance.
It just needed more time in the oven. That's all.

As has been said in certain situations Xb1X may have other advantages in certain things.

Last edited:

vkbest

Lol, that is not true. The most games are not 4k/30fps, and the performance mode usually is going around 1440p on new consoles. You are getting assumption based only in this game. Ratchet is 1440p the most time at 60fps with raytracing.

Lol, that is not true. The most games are not 4k/30fps, and the performance mode usually is going around 1440p on new consoles. You are getting assumption based only in this game. Ratchet is 1440p the most time at 60fps with raytracing.
Hey I agree. I don't think this will how the situation will pan out. But there are people who think this is the way the cookie will crumble.

Skifi28

Seems like a terrible port. The cutbacks for 60fps make sense neither from the CPU nor from the GPU side.

Depend of the last generation.

It should indeed outperform PS4, XB1 and probably PS4 Pro.
Not XB1 X for example… unless it is a CPU bound game.
The XSS has a more advanced GPU than the X1X too. Games like Resident Evil Village has no raytracing on X1X but does on XSS. People don't seem to know the capabilities of the system they constantly criticize.

FrankWza

1080p 30 fps for XSS , with graphical cut backs
200.gif
And due to their production choices, Microsoft is pumping out way more s than x. Tough time to buy in if this is going to be the output with 2 flagship games on the horizon going into the holidays. Series x for $499 scarcity but series s @ $299 plus a $140 proprietary drive to fit all these gamepass games and 3rd party q4. Even if they wanted to stop producing and move on from the console they couldn’t. They need to have at least one sku available.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Been playing in performance but yeah quality looks a lot better, one of the more noticeable ones for sure. Might switch back to it.

TrebleShot

2. As games become more powerful future games on the big consoles might be 1440p30
3. Given the power differential with the XSS, it would have to run at less than 1080p and maybe 30fps
I think I’m terms of PC performance you expect that to be the case (as the gen continues the games get more demanding on the silicone) in terms of consoles, generally as the gen continues more performance is squeezed out of the systems, see a game like The Last Of Us 2 which looks current gen and is last gen.

There’s a rumoured RTX patch incoming for GOTG so we may see some increased performance there.

Fbh

Damn, 1080p, not even close to locked 60fps and substantial visual cutbacks .

I wonder where the big bottleneck is. It does look nice but not above other recent AAA games with better performance.

Banned
given that this game easily runs at 1440p100fps on ultra settings on an RTX3060ti... this is kinda underwhelming.

on a 3060ti you can even het away with 1080p60fps with RayTracing, if you use DLSS 1440p ultra + RT is in the cards.

Banned
I hope DF are also doing PC version analysis, curious how it runs and what RT is like.

RTX3060ti, ultra settings + RayTracing
~1080p60
~1440p60 when using DLSS quality

ultra settings without RT
~1440p120fps
~1080p180fps

you can infer performance for higher end cards from that

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Seems like a case of extremely poor optimization rather than pushing the limits of either console, including the S. But what do I know. Guess this will be a PS5 purchase down the road after I catch up on backlog.

And due to their production choices, Microsoft is pumping out way more s than x. Tough time to buy in if this is going to be the output with 2 flagship games on the horizon going into the holidays. Series x for $499 scarcity but series s @ $299 plus a $140 proprietary drive to fit all these gamepass games and 3rd party q4. Even if they wanted to stop producing and move on from the console they couldn’t. They need to have at least one sku available.
Uh Frank you don't need to buy any proprietary drive to save games on the XSS. The system has supported cold storage since day one. MS decision to make two SKUs allowed them to reach large audiences than if they only had one. This game is not any indication of what the XSS is capable of.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I mean, from what I've heard it's a linear Uncharted style game. I'd expect this to be 1080 / 30 on PS4 if it was optimized well. The Last of Us 2 probably still looks better than this and had some large and open areas. XSS you would think could do 1080 / 60 if they tried.

Ozriel

M$FT

So where’s the problem? If You’re not concerned about running games at 1440p/30fps with next gen flagships on a 4K TV, why are you concerned that folks could play at 900p/30fps on 1080p displays? You don’t realize either scenario is not ideal?

I don’t also buy this conclusion. While games WILL become more demanding, devs will pull more power from the consoles, and more advanced techniques like XeSS, Direct ML and improved AMD FSR could also step in to close the gap.

For this game, the Series S seems to maintain the expected relative performance to the flagship consoles. That’s the key point.

sendit

Uh Frank you don't need to buy any proprietary drive to save games on the XSS. The system has supported cold storage since day one. MS decision to make two SKUs allowed them to reach large audiences than if they only had one. This game is not any indication of what the XSS is capable of.

You can only optimize code so much until you hit that physical hardware limit. In this case, 1030p@30FPS is XSS showing you what the power of a $299 console can bring you.

FrankieSab

The XSS has a more advanced GPU than the X1X too. Games like Resident Evil Village has no raytracing on X1X but does on XSS. People don't seem to know the capabilities of the system they constantly criticize.
The gpu of Xbox one x has no ray tracing capacites and less features, but geared for higher resolution. You pay for what you get with the XSS, the people that criticize it all the time, have no intentions of getting it anyway.

Kilau

Guess I’m going PC on this one. With DLSS I’ll be able to lock 60 easily.

Gamora looks so good, I’ll never understand why they made Zoe look so harsh in the movies.

Banned
I dont know who wins but heres
tenor.gif

technically Xbox wins... but honestly all the versions are underwhelming given the performance on PC shows that this should not run as bad as it does.

if you get 1080p ultra above 120fps on a mid to entry level PC card, then running at an unstable 60fps with lowered settings at 1080p seems like a joke

FrankWza

If you were a goalie, and mention of series s was a ball, you would never give up a point.:) You’re leaving out vital info but let’s not derail from the issue which is the series s performance vs the flagship consoles this gen.

XSS you would think could do 1080 / 60 if they tried.
Maybe it’s too much work? All I know is, when PS games are cross gen we get the misquoted “we believe in generations” line.
So, including 100+ million customers is bad while we transition into a new gen, but anchoring that new gen to a bottom that still has issues a year in is great.
why? Because it’s gives new customers options? What about your existing customers and the industry as a whole?

Top Bottom