• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Direct! Link's Awakening Overclocking + CRTs + The Surge 2 + More!

Bullet Club

Join John and Rich for their discussion of the week, plus a deep dive analysis of Zelda: Link's Awakening - with liberal applications of Switch overclocking. On top of that, John discusses his huge The Surge 2 project, and reveals that he's getting a Sony FW900 CRT!

stranno

gbatemp 60FPS patch thread alredy concluded that it was a GPU thing, not a bottleneck but maybe a memory leak or something like that.

D dark10x Have you guys considered the impact of a jailbroken test in your channel for Nintendo? They are really picky with this stuff.

The best part of the Surge 2 video was the studio wall paper, I WANT THAT THING.

Last edited:

DonF

I mean that Nintendo wont be happy with a jailbroken performance test.
oh shit, you are right. English isnt my native language.

I hope Nintendo doesnt get upset for using a CFW to show performance. Its a benchmark.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Totally shocked at no point in any of these DF videos have they mentioned the texture streaming issues in the surge 2.

I’m playing it on my X as a main and in my S upstairs, and it’s utterly terrible on both machines texture wise. The game straight up looks like the early days of quake 3 on low... And yet the devs have been radio silent.

Which is a shame because I’m right near the end now, so will have completed the game with textures looking like ass... Not cool.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Lucky bastard getting that crt. It's amazing how great they can look with that incredible motion resolution. It's a shame modern displays haven't caught up yet

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Oh spoke too soon, the console patch for the surge 2 is now on cert. which means about a week usually doesn’t it? Depending on system.

How the hell the game even went gold without anybody seeing this issue is beyond me.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
DF older video explain about doing that at the risk of getting permaban from Nintendo network.
The ban is just a device level ban; it doesn't ban or suspend any Nintendo accounts associated with it because it may be a false positive

I mean that Nintendo wont be happy with a jailbroken performance test.
Ninty isn't happy with ANY home brew or ROM communities right now; with DF being based in England they will have the consumer advocacy that as long as they're not pirating games or anything like that, it's 100% fair play.

I have a good feeling that DF isn't pirating any of their games, so Ninty may get upset, but there's not much they can do about it

gbatemp 60FPS patch thread alredy concluded that it was a GPU thing, not a bottleneck but maybe a memory leak or something like that.
I'll have to dig into my OC profiles but I want to say most games need a slight boost to the GPU.
What's kind of annoying is that you have games optimized for both docked and mobile modes, so you have to do annoying testing to find out what OC's are best for each game for each mode *sighs*

stranno

I have a good feeling that DF isn't pirating any of their games, so Ninty may get upset, but there's not much they can do about it
Me too, of course. But i dont think Nintendo care about that at all, its just about the jailbreak.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I don't quite remember that. Gonna rewatch the video later.
I'll just let you know from experience it's a device level ban, no reason to go watching videos or reading

I am the one to boast I have two Switches; one modded and one stock.

Hell, they still let you get firmware updates if your hardware is banned from the eshop; gotta try to fuck with your mods some how, the ass holes.

Me too, of course. But i dont think Nintendo care about that at all, its just about the jailbreak.
Yeah it's just the jail break they care about; running any sort of home brew pisses them off, including Lakka and that Android OS

-=-=-
Either way, with over clocking being shown to not destroy the hardware, and Ninty adding it in themselves for BotW loading, I'm still kind of confused why that's not implemented in other games.
Considering us modders can do it, Ninty should be able to do it easier than we do, and offer it as a coded solution for devs.

stranno

Either way, with over clocking being shown to not destroy the hardware, and Ninty adding it in themselves for BotW loading, I'm still kind of confused why that's not implemented in other games.
Considering us modders can do it, Ninty should be able to do it easier than we do, and offer it as a coded solution for devs.
I guess they will unlock it eventually, like Playstation Portable.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Great content as always from these guys. Don’t care for the rest of Eurogamer but Digital Foundry are downright essential.

Fake

I'll just let you know from experience it's a device level ban, no reason to go watching videos or reading
Its always a good reminder for those who want to try too. If I had such money for buying switchs for doing so I quite happy to try as well, but this quote is from Richard Leadbetter, Technology Editor, Digital Foundry:
Using an exploited Switch, SysClk's frequency monitoring also allows users to overclock and indeed underclock their hardware. Any such unauthorised modification comes with the risk of seeing your console banned from accessing Nintendo's online services, so going down this route is not recommended but for Digital Foundry, it was the only way to conclusively confirm what changes Nintendo is making to clock speeds.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Its always a good reminder for those who want to try too. If I had such money for buying switchs for doing so I quite happy to try as well, but this quote is from Richard Leadbetter, Technology Editor, Digital Foundry:
Yep! I 100% agree with them, and you can search my previous posts for saying people shouldn't talk too much about modding their Switches on this forum, because they can turn their console into a paper weight

My rule of thumb is discourage people from modding their stuff; if they take the venture and break their own stuff, it's on them. If they're successful and learn something from it, it's still on them, so that's even better IMO.

Someone mentioned a name from before that I would wag a finger at posting here; but hey, I'm just anal about that shit. I've had too many people I've told "Go here!" and then they start yelling at me because "I told them to break their shit."

Top Bottom