• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deviation Games which partnered with PlayStation is working on a 'world-class FPS', scheduled for 2024

Yoboman

I mean, it does say FPS and they did say new IP.

That rumor of GG working on Socom though could be true, but even if we are to say this new team is making Socom, then it would likely be swappable from 3rd to first person or something. Maybe they are listing it as new IP and FPS to throw people off to have a hype reveal.

Keep hope alive!
Guerrilla are so good at making creative worlds, they'd be absolutely wasted on a by the number military shooter like SOCOM

Shanomatic

There are many of them. Kojipro, the makers of MGS. Their first game as new studio is on track to be the best selling Kojima game ever and got many GOTYs.
Oh right! Death Stranding wasn’t my cup of tea, but was definitely successful, can’t believe I forgot about it.

I wonder if Blundell has the same capabilities to bring this quality to Deviation? His tenure working on Call of Duty is my favorite, so I guess time will tell.

tmlDan

Oh right! Death Stranding wasn’t my cup of tea, but was definitely successful, can’t believe I forgot about it.

I wonder if Blundell has the same capabilities to bring this quality to Deviation? His tenure working on Call of Duty is my favorite, so I guess time will tell.
That's likely why they partnered with Sony, they are getting shared resources and support as part of it. (Like Kojipro did)

I feel like the ones you mentioned got none of that and ended up in a bit of a mess.

Yoboman

I was more so talking about studios that kind of label themselves as “made up of X studio devs” or “the devs behind Y game.”

I didn’t really count Bungie/Destiny since that was (more or less, from what I understand) the same entity/culture just moving onto another project, whereas games like Yooka-Laylee or Mighty No. 9 specifically drew attention to who was involved in the game (Banjo and Megaman devs) as a means of drumming up excitement, while no longer being a part of the entity that made those original games to begin with.

Wasn’t aware of the Medal of Honor/Infinity Ward connection, will look into that more myself.
Last gen was pretty crazy in terms of teams splintering off to start new studios. I expect we will get an answer to that question in the coming years

Amiga

• story-driven single-player campaign

giphy.gif

FrankWza

The name is CODish. They need a simple recognizable name. I would use the SOCOM name… or Arms Of War. Something simple.

Or perhaps “warzone” battle royale is TPS, and main “COD” like mode is FPS.
If they try to do anything besides classic style Socom that’s a mistake. They ruined Socom 4 by attempting to bastardize it into some kind of TPS CoD clone. Adding a battle royale mode might work because pubg did have some Socom in its dna but it needs to be tactical and 3rd person.

when they announced partnership with Sony they were so excited, Jason in this video seems excited, and they are COD veterans
so they know how to make shooting feels good....
I have a good feeling about this. I miss PS3 days were games would have singleplayer and multiplayer. even games from random developers

Godot25

Banned
So, Blundell left Treyarch in february of 2020 and you want to tell me that he will found a new studio, staff it up and get their new game ready in 4 years?
If yes, that is impressive, but I literally doubt it.
Especially sice his studio has 116 employees (according to LinkedIn) and before Christmas he confirmed, that they will begin production sometime this year...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
when they announced partnership with Sony they were so excited, Jason in this video seems excited, and they are COD veterans
so they know how to make shooting feels good....
I have a good feeling about this. I miss PS3 days were games would have singleplayer and multiplayer. even games from random developers

I think from that ~$7B spent by Sony, $3.6B being for Bungie, the rest might be Deviation games and their latest so-called partnerships. Similar to Housemarque to some extent. Also I love how shooting feels in Returnal, and would love another game by Housemarque but not roguelike.

RevGaming

I think from that ~$7B spent by Sony, $3.6B being for Bungie, the rest might be Deviation games and their latest so-called partnerships. Similar to Housemarque to some extent. Also I love how shooting feels in Returnal, and would love another game by Housemarque but not roguelike.
I hope they already bought Deviation, Firewalk, Haven Studio and I would like if they got that Dan Houser studio. New studios bring a new fresh breath of air.

yurinka

Lunatic_Gamer Lunatic_Gamer : I found some extra info about this game in job offers, may be interesting for the OP since pretty likely it's the source of this 'insider/leaker':

So, Blundell left Treyarch in february of 2020 and you want to tell me that he will found a new studio, staff it up and get their new game ready in 4 years?
Especially sice his studio has 116 employees (according to LinkedIn) and before Christmas he confirmed, that they will begin production sometime this year...
Dave Anthony, the CEO of the studio, according to LinkedIn has been at Deviation since November 2019. If they release it November 2024 would be 5 years of development, enough for a AAA game made mostly by people very experienced in the genre. And well, as usual it always can be delayed some months or a year.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Just because it's former CoD devs who's making the game, doesn't mean it have to be a CoD copy - just take a look at Respawn (original devs of CoD), their Titanfall and Apex Legends is nothing alike CoD - it's an evolution in FPS games, just like they did with CoD in the earlier days. Hope Deviation are doing something fresh.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, all these games are 2024 and will get delayed to 2025 because covid.
Because of covid AND purposely false promises to drive up hype. I forgot where I read it, but not long ago I remember reading an article where small studios purposely announce fake release dates (too early) to drive up interest from bigger companies to partner with them trying to convince them the game is closer to release than it really is. Shady as hell.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

2024? Shit.... I wish things like this wouldn't be revealed so early in development, even when they're just a rumor/leaks.

Serious question: how many times has this “studio made up of industry veterans making a game similar to one they previously worked on” even resulted in a smash hit? The one example that keeps coming to mind is Yooka-Laylee, which didn’t exactly capture Banjo’s success.
Respawn mate! Ex cod devs, Titanfall.

Zok310

Banned
Hopefully it’s a shakeup, have not enjoyed a shooter since last gen, they have become too formulated.
Fingers crossed

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Just because it's former CoD devs who's making the game, doesn't mean it have to be a CoD copy - just take a look at Respawn (original devs of CoD), their Titanfall and Apex Legends is nothing alike CoD - it's an evolution in FPS games, just like they did with CoD in the earlier days. Hope Deviation are doing something fresh.

The gunplay is the exact copy-paste of CoD, which is the reason Titanfall was such a blast to play. Same with Destiny that's basically a copy of Halo. So chances are Deviation's game will indeed strongly resemble their previous creations.

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

Lunatic_Gamer Lunatic_Gamer : I found some extra info about this game in job offers, may be interesting for the OP since pretty likely it's the source of this 'insider/leaker':

Dave Anthony, the CEO of the studio, according to LinkedIn has been at Deviation since November 2019. If they release it November 2024 would be 5 years of development, enough for a AAA game made mostly by people very experienced in the genre. And well, as usual it always can be delayed some months or a year.
This sounds more like Destiny but with a cod like military setting instead of a fantasy world

Especially when there's mentions of story-driven campaign with multiplayer & co-op

Sounds super interesting, best of both worlds. For those that don't like pure MP games, this should hit the spot. Quests, loot, etc etc

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
I was more so talking about studios that kind of label themselves as “made up of X studio devs” or “the devs behind Y game.”

I didn’t really count Bungie/Destiny since that was (more or less, from what I understand) the same entity/culture just moving onto another project, whereas games like Yooka-Laylee or Mighty No. 9 specifically drew attention to who was involved in the game (Banjo and Megaman devs) as a means of drumming up excitement, while no longer being a part of the entity that made those original games to begin with.

Wasn’t aware of the Medal of Honor/Infinity Ward connection, will look into that more myself.

I think Respawn whole thing was that it was an off shoot of COD devs from Infinity Ward.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

yurinka yurinka I’ve added the extra info to the op. Thank you.

Last edited:
Well, Kojima left Konami on October 2015, founded and announced his new studio on December 2015 and released his AAA game on November 2019. I don't find it hard to believe these dudes can do the same thing.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
The gunplay is the exact copy-paste of CoD, which is the reason Titanfall was such a blast to play. Same with Destiny that's basically a copy of Halo. So chances are Deviation's game will indeed strongly resemble their previous creations.
Gunplay is only one thing, movement is a another beast they elevated on from CoD.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Hopefully it’s kinda like titanfall where they kept the tight CoD gunplay mechanics and gave it a fresh twist.
Disagree about twists. Nobody is playing titanfall any longer, and the wall running jet packing cod’s quickly got stale with the franchise going back to boots on the ground for the better.

Copy COD formula, keep it grounded and gritty with modern weapons. Low latency, punchy and crisp gunplay. Make a better story and give it eye melting next gen gfx only. $profit.

Last edited:

RevGaming

Disagree about twists. Nobody is playing titanfall any longer, and the wall running jet packing cod’s quickly got stale with the franchise going back to boots on the ground for the better.

Copy COD formula, keep it grounded and gritty with modern weapons. Low latency, punchy and crisp gunplay. Make a better story and give it eye melting next gen gfx only. $profit.
Please don't. Want something new to shake things up.

yurinka

You can't compete with COD by making something that is not COD. Unless there is some idea that is so awesome and never previously considered - what are the odd's of that?
Well, with Destiny Bungie did compete with Halo making something that wasn't Halo even if it was also a FPS.

Check out in the OP the hints I found on LinkedIn about Deviation's next game: story, vehicles, co-op, rpg, quests, persistent world... maybe it's a MP focused FPS GaaS but can be very different of CoD in many areas. They could add design ideas from Destiny, Fortnite, Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, Apex Legends, Titanfall, Monster Hunter World or Grand Theft Auto Online, focus more on co-op PVE than in competitive and with the help of PS Studios improve on the narrative and world building side, plus adding a different theme/setting.

Last edited:

RevGaming

You can't compete with COD by making something that is not COD. Unless there is some idea that is so awesome and never previously considered - what are the odd's of that?
Fortnite, Apex, Destiny, Overwatch, Valorant, Siege, Rocket League etc.

MScarpa

I hope it comes to Spartacus at some point. Give me a god tier for like 25$ and day one and im good! Please make it happen Sony gods.

Top Bottom