• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Developer Provides Insight on their Deal with Xbox and Game Pass.

Grinchy

Banned
Isn't this the same way it goes on PS+? The developer gets some agreed upon payment?

I have to imagine for some developers and on some games, the amount may be more than they'd make from actual sales, and if it gets good word of mouth, people without the subscription end up buying it.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So, people that has their games on XGP actually gets a chunk of money?

Oh no how? I thought XGP is bad for developers because they don't get money :(

Hehe. From what I have heard there are three types of deals. One is a one time payment and you put your game on there for x months. That's what most devs do. Then there are multiplayer games that use Game Pass to build a player base so that the people that buy the game have someone to play with. They get substantially less money but they also don't have to be exclusive. So with crossplatform play they can build a player base for the PS4 game with Game Pass. And then there are pure promotional deals. Something like Division, which just enters for a short time to get people into the IP so that they buy the sequel or DLC. Promotional deals don't get any money for joining the service, and they usually are gone much faster.

Mista

Banned
Hehe. From what I have heard there are three types of deals. One is a one time payment and you put your game on there for x months. That's what most devs do. Then there are multiplayer games that use Game Pass to build a player base so that the people that buy the game have someone to play with. They get substantially less money but they also don't have to be exclusive. So with crossplatform play they can build a player base for the PS4 game with Game Pass. And then there are pure promotional deals. Something like Division, which just enters for a short time to get people into the IP so that they buy the sequel or DLC. Promotional deals don't get any money for joining the service, and they usually are gone much faster.
Great info! Thank you mate

Elenchus

Banned
Don't know why this is being compared to TV when video games have monumentally more value, and Game Pass is more than just a demoing service, it's a full-on trove that's very cheap at that (so of course I'm skeptical about some things because to people like me it's too good to be true or not without a catch).

When you think about it, it's potentially x amount of millions of people who didn't buy the game. For a AAA game dev, losing 10k or even 100k players is nothing to them so they can afford it, but to an Indie dev? It must be a large sum of money.

I'm not saying they're being forced at gun point.

Then what are you saying. If you support free market capitalism you support the right of these devs to decide if GP is right for their game.

The devs will act as rational business owners and do what’s in their best interest.

You don’t worry about whether the farmer who sold McDonalds his eggs got a good deal every time you buy a breakfast sandwich so you similarly do not need to worry about this.

Be. A. Gamer. And. Play. The. Games.

Simple.

Karak

So, people that has their games on XGP actually gets a chunk of money?

Oh no how? I thought XGP is bad for developers because they don't get money :(
lol ya Its not. Also the worry of burning money doesn't seem backed up by their financials either which they report. Or at least any NORMAL companies ideas of burning money. Will have to look at their last reporting but I didn't see anything other than the dropoff many companies are seeing going into next gen. At least nothing that indicate some massive undercurrent of loss that is only attributed to game pass.

Mista

Banned
lol ya Its not. Also the worry of burning money doesn't seem backed up by their financials either which they report. Or at least any NORMAL companies ideas of burning money. Will have to look at their last reporting but I didn't see anything other than the dropoff many companies are seeing going into next gen. At least nothing that indicate some massive undercurrent of loss that is only attributed to game pass.
Yeah I was just mocking them bro. Trust me if PSNow was as worthy as the XGP, you will see a different tone on here. They're pathetic and I got used to it

Karak

Yeah I was just mocking them bro. Trust me if PSNow was as worthy as the XGP, you will see a different tone on here. They're pathetic and I got used to it
OH. Ok gotcha. I don't really follow along with that stuff. I talk to the devs though. Both on it, not on it but offered, and were on it but removed. And no complaints. I guess...thats just a narrative push I wasn't expecting.

Mista

Banned
OH. Ok gotcha. I don't really follow along with that stuff. I talk to the devs though. Both on it, not on it but offered, and were on it but removed. And no complaints. I guess...thats just a narrative push I wasn't expecting.
Nobody ever complained for real? I mean I see XGP as a great way to make people buy a certain game. You can't rely on the library forever because the game will eventually leave at some point

Whats also great is whatever game is currently on GP, you'll find it also discounted in the store. I am currently playing Indivisible through GP and fell in love so hard with the game I ended up buying it. Such a great game

Then what are you saying. If you support free market capitalism you support the right of these devs to decide if GP is right for their game.

The devs will act as rational business owners and do what’s in their best interest.

You don’t worry about whether the farmer who sold McDonalds his eggs got a good deal every time you buy a breakfast sandwich so you similarly do not need to worry about this.

Simple.
I'm saying it's okay to criticize it and that developers are important, it's not like I'm saying it about the publisher.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

Simple.
Best GaF post of 2020!

Freeman76

I only buy some multiplayer games or the ones that are good and are leaving the service. So far this has been the best Microsoft has offered to the Gaming Community. Yeah the Console is shit in all honesty but the services are what defines Microsoft at this point.
Buy an X, by far the best console on the market

Elenchus

Banned
I'm saying it's okay to criticize it and that developers are important, it's not like I'm saying it about the publisher.

Problem is this criticism needs to come from the devs. And right now we’re not seeing that.

In fact, as shown in the OP we are seeing just the opposite. Now GAF being GAF many here will say you can’t trust the devs who are praising GP for this reason or that reason but that’s just denial.

The facts are that there is no swelling anger in the dev community about GP and all have reported positive experiences.

No devs are forced to participate in any event so I’m kinda struggling to find the argument.

But that’s probably because I don’t subscribe to nanny-state policies and believe that people have the basic intelligence to make their own decisions. 🤷‍♂️

Karak

So far now I know of at least 3 ways devs can partner and I think that's great. What works for one may not work for the other.

Top Bottom