• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detailed Input Latency Testing in 2021 - Next Gen Consoles tested - Series X | PS5 | PS4 | X1S

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Dashboard latency: SX have much smaller input latency than X1S, but it's still one frame worth of time slower than PS5

AC Vallhala:

snimekobrazovky2021-0bpjp9.png

WD: Legion
snimekobrazovky2021-01vj8h.png

Last edited:
Little weird stating input lag is a frame slower on SX than PS5 then immediately showing two charts for Valhalla and Legion effectively showing the complete opposite.

Edit ahhh just read the dashboard part nevermind.

Last edited:

M1chl

Finally! The Series X takes the crown!*
*in one or two games only.

It must be the tools.
Well if you watch the video, you can see the "tools" in action D DOOM 2016 : ) And also DIRT 5 on XSX is much closer now to PS5 than it was before. And it must be joy to play on PS5, because it's already amazing with it's response on XSX. It's good game, but I worry is again really overlooked. Evolution guys should get more love :messenger_pensive:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Good news it's getting better across the board, most people have no clue in the general public so these improvements along with ALLM are a big deal.

You know that ALLM is just a switcher? Meaning if you forgot your HDMI 1 in cinema mode and started a game it switches to game mode. That's-fucking-it. My 2016 Sony does it and can even use my DS4 to control my tv or play Android games on it, and can switch to PS4 when I turn it on.

It has nothing to do with improved latency. It's only a good feature for agnostic tv's that can't recognize a console when going from watching movies on console to gaming.

Why the hell people are still watching Netflix etc on console is beyond me. Been using the smart tv since 2015.

Last edited:
Well if you watch the video, you can see the "tools" in action D DOOM 2016 : ) And also DIRT 5 on XSX is much closer now to PS5 than it was before. And it must be joy to play on PS5, because it's already amazing with it's response on XSX. It's good game, but I worry is again really overlooked. Evolution guys should get more love :messenger_pensive:
It's a Dirt game without a rewind feature. It's a racing game without a replay system. Played it for a couple of hours, the whole thing just feels lazy and unfinished.

ethomaz

Banned
You know that ALLM is just a switcher? Meaning if you forgot your HDMI 1 in cinema mode and started a game it switches to game mode. That's-fucking-it. My 2016 Sony does it and can even use my DS4 to control my tv or play Android games on it, and can switch to PS4 when I turn it on.

It has nothing to do with improved latency. It's only a good feature for agnostic tv's that can't recognize a console when going from watching movies on console to gaming.

Why the hell people are still watching Netflix etc on console is beyond me. Been using the smart tv since 2015.
They fact the HDMI you plugged your console can be always in PC mode already makes this ALLM useless.

I don’t know about others TVs but PC Mode in Samsung is superior to Game Mode.

Last edited:

M1chl

Not sure why people hyping ALLM, seems like uneducated thing to do. Here is detailed whole latency improvemenet stack from MS:

XboxSeriesXLatency_HERO.jpg

And here is result in Gears 5:

Ek3iqHOUYAA_DAv

ALLM is just part of this and only for people who cannot use their TV Remote.

And yes latency in Gears 5 is greatly noticable, I am beast at Versus MP and I totally sucked before.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Nobody is hyping ALLM, like I said most people have no clue about input lag or TV modes so it's useful that a feature exists that automatically switches to the best mode for the content they are using, therefore it's a useful feature.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They fact the HDMI you plugged your console can be always in PC mode already makes this ALLM useless.

I don’t know about others TVs but PC Mode in Samsung is superior to Game Mode.

There is only game mode for me, newer Sony TV's have "Graphics" mode which has the same latency of game mode but the most accurate colors for productivity on PC, and you can use it for gaming as well. And yes, my 2nd slot has been tuned in 2016 at game mode since 2016 and never changed it since then, but it's only good feature if someone is using his PS5/XSX to watch movies then switch to games. Sony tv's recognize PlayStation consoles and switch accordingly, but ALLM makes it a standard.

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

Microsoft tried to market their really low input latency, while sony didn't even say anything. Exactly as they did with the performance aspect.

I don't trashtalk microsoft at all, it's really great they managed to lower their input latency and kudos to them, but sony is really killing it while not saying anything at all which is something I really appreciate, you know that everything is polished and they don't have to force market that to you, it's just their philosophy.

Razvedka

Banned
Do you see those pictures? Mainly XSX is much improved from X1S, which sucked. PS5 is improved from PS4, which was already great. PS5 and XSX are neck on neck, but in few games PS5 is faster, more responsive in 60FPS mode, they are same in 120hz mode in every game.
Those charts show the XSX beating PS5 for latency measurements.

Am I misreading something?

Last edited:

Yeah it probably wasn’t meant for you but the litany of people out there who don’t even know what game mode is. It could be a game changer for them. Not everyone spends time pretending to be a big shot on message boards you know. Some folks just don’t know about this sort of thing.

longdi

Banned
last gen ps4 had outright better latency hardware, no?

this gen, seems both consoles are the same, depends on the coding.
ubisoft games are better on SX
dirt is same
cod is better on ps5

good job. another comeback by Phil team. cleaning the stench left by Don. :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Microsoft tried to market their really low input latency, while sony didn't even say anything. Exactly as they did with the performance aspect.

I don't trashtalk microsoft at all, it's really great they managed to lower their input latency and kudos to them, but sony is really killing it while not saying anything at all which is something I really appreciate, you know that everything is polished and they don't have to force market that to you, it's just their philosophy.

So the guy trailing should not talk about making big improvements now? Sony is so far a head they are in what they call in American football prevent defense. Sony does not want to say anything to offend anyone or risk anything period. I know Microsoft should go quietly in the night from the console market like sega and Nintendo never fight back. No the switch is not a console it is a mobile device.

Kuranghi

M1chl M1chl

I think for games like 3rd person ubisoft games its a big waste of your time to argue over modern TV input lag figures, as long as the TV's lag is under 50ms its going to be fine for most people.

I'm just finished playing Arkham Origins at 4K30fps yesterday, compared to 60 fps, the game feels really laggy when you are just moving and looking around ofc, but when you get a fight and you are jumping between enemies in freeflow I can hit the counter button what looks to me to be AS the thug hits me and I never miss the counter even though the game itself has tons of internal lag + 26ms from my display + 10ms from my controller.

IMO, its all about how the game handles input and how long it takes to process your input. Its not the same across many games even in the same genre so I just don't care to think about it anymore, its a waste of time if you aren't going to do an analysis like this first, but even then at which point do you stop reducing image quality to decrease input lag? I'm happy with what they chose for my 2016 TV and its twice as good on 2019+ sets.

Obviously you'd want it to be lower in a FG or other competitive sports so you aren't losing battles when you both press at the same time, but against AI I don't consider it worth thinking about.

I gamed on CRT monitors in the 90s and early 00s then switched to a TN panel Samsung 260HD, which as far as I can find has 20-30ms of input lag at native res and I never thought oh this is not playable now, perhaps I'm not sensitive to it but I am very sensitive to lots of other motion and IQ minor bullshit, I played Super Metroid in RetroArch at the beginning of the year and this was when I stopped caring:

* I read NTSC SNES has about one frame of input lag - 16.67ms
* My TV has ~26ms in 4K60 and ~42ms in 1080p60
* I ran Super Metroid in 4K60hz and 1080p60hz, I then tried to do a Shinespark (https://metroid.fandom.com/wiki/Shinespark) in a place where you have a very very small amount of time to perform it before you hit the wall (its right after a screen change as well) and it there wasn't a noticeable difference in my ability to do it. The input lag felt very similar in 4K or 1080p even though it was 16ms of difference.

So when you are talking about minimum 60ms best case in AC:V running @ 60hz I don't feel its worth talking about. Add to the fact that 2019+ sets have about ~14ms at 4K60 I don't think singleplayers should worry about it.

Its always great to see them reduce it down, but until it reaches one 60hz frame or lower I don't care, and even then I may not notice.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Not sure why people hyping ALLM, seems like uneducated thing to do. Here is detailed whole latency improvemenet stack from MS:

XboxSeriesXLatency_HERO.jpg

And here is result in Gears 5:

Ek3iqHOUYAA_DAv

ALLM is just part of this and only for people who cannot use their TV Remote.

And yes latency in Gears 5 is greatly noticable, I am beast at Versus MP and I totally sucked before.

The ALLM is funny I agree, people who dont want to check settings on remote.

Back on topic, the important ones where developers likely tune input lag is multiplayer shooters like COD and BF where it is more important.

I doubt single player devs give it that much attention.

Last edited:

M1chl

MS was bragging about dumping millions and millions of dollars for latency improvements. I wonder how they feel about wasting all that money, or it was a lie which they tend to do to their customers a lot.
I mean look at X1S, X1X comparison to the XSX. It's hardly wasted money, it can definitely be noticeable with games like Gears 5 and DIRT 5 already. Well in maybe more games, but I don't intend to play CoD or AC: Valhalla. Maybe down the line in sale, but so far not really interested. I have tons of games with better performance from last gen to play.

Banjo64

cumsessed
MS was bragging about dumping millions and millions of dollars for latency improvements. I wonder how they feel about wasting all that money, or it was a lie which they tend to do to their customers a lot.

chris pratt what GIF

I don’t even know what point you are tying to make. They have made significant latency improvements. It’s in the OP for fucks sake...

Waiting on that update for past gen controllers though. I need this for my Elite v2 pad.

Kuranghi

The ALLM is funny I agree, people who dont want to check settings on remote.

Back on topic, the important ones where developers likely tune input lag is multiplayer shooters like COD and BF where it is more important.

I doubt single player devs give it that much attention.

You'd be surprised mate, I had customers who asked me to go round and set their picture settings to something decent and almost every gamer was playing outside Game Mode, often in Vivid/Standard (80-120+ ms input lag!) and they didn't even think anything was wrong or go looking for a fix in the settings. So its actually really good to just show people like that the light.

The thing its good for outside of normies is when you have all your devices going through a soundbar HDMI (e)ARC connection, some might be games consoles and others are media players or set top boxes. ALLM will auto switch into game mode when it detects a console and then out of it again when it detects a 24/25/29.976hz signal, or just whatever it thinks isn't gaming.

So it would stop me having to switch to Cinema Pro/Home on my TV when I watch films or TV in a media player on my PC or through the PS5. The internal apps are where I mostly watch content so thats permanently set to Cinema Pro.

So it does have uses for everyone, minor as they may be.

Top Bottom