• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

kaos.

:)
Thanks, when i'll be able to return in boletaria, i'll write my official request with sl and region. :-D
Umbasa.

Joei

after 5 tries, beat the Tower Knight. Anything I should do before moving on? Did I miss anything in 1-1 or 1-2?

It's hard to say if you specifically "missed" something. The areas are good too explore around, really all the levels are. However, I would suggest doing 2-1 or 4-1 next (if I recall correctly, the game won't even let you go to 1-3). The game is best approached going from world to world, not necessarily 1-1, 1-2, 1-3... 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, etc. Maybe try out level 2-1, or 4-1, or 3-1, etc.

And regarding your previous post, yes, this game is still my favorite. Currently playing through Bloodborne, and I'm a good ways in, but I just can't get into it like I could this or Dark Souls, (never did finish DS2, though I'm going to give that another whirl soon). I absolutely love the world and NPCs in Demon's Souls. After going back, I did miss the very interconnected world of Dark more than I thought I would, but still, those areas in Demon's are so bad ass. And the bosses are still my favorite.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
PvE.

And two hours in, I beat the first boss. Damn, this game is good. I'm finding it better than Dark Souls 1 and 2 judging from the first area. i love how it flows together like Bloodborne
Make sure you grab the Crescent Falchion from the beginning of 4-1. Strong melee weapon to compliment your magic.

For spells I would recommend Soul Ray and Firestorm. Once you get Firestorm you can nuke most bosses super easily. If that seems too OP and easy, then get Fireball from the Dragon God soul instead. Homing Soul Arrow is also a very good spell in PvE and Firespray has some uses too.

Buy tons of spice and pew pew all day every day.

Soulhouf

after 5 tries, beat the Tower Knight. Anything I should do before moving on? Did I miss anything in 1-1 or 1-2?

If you didn't die in Body form, Boletaria should be pure White.
Remember that closed side path to the left when you start the area? It should be open now and a little surprise is waiting for you there.

Also did you meet Ostrava, the NPC in gold armour? He pops up in each section of world 1 as the main 'mini questline' for that area. If you interacted with him in 1-1 he moves along to 1-2 and so on.

Kama_1082

Banned
If you didn't die in Body form, Boletaria should be pure White.
Remember that closed side path to the left when you start the area? It should be open now and a little surprise is waiting for you there.
I died in 1-2 in body form :(

Also did you meet Ostrava, the NPC in gold armour? He pops up in each section of world 1 as the main 'mini questline' for that area. If you interacted with him in 1-1 he moves along to 1-2 and so on.
I just read about him and was about to go meet him right now. Is it too late?

I'd thought bumping this for the hardcore Demon's Souls fans to see is worth it!

Orioto just created this and he deserves all the attention he can get for a (imo) masterpiece.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=167379128&postcount=3974

NexusCeremony.jpg

okNH7W6.png

Crazy good... I miss Maiden in Black so much.

zsswimmer

Welp, just started my very first playthrough of this game about 2 hours ago, already can tell it will be challenging and I'm going to enjoy it. Haven't read anything about it so it should be a novel as well.

Any tips for someone who has played DS1, 2, and Bloodborne? Non spoiler ones obviously, but like something even a veteran souls player might not know?

I'm at the castle with the skeletons and the skeletons themselves are a lot harder than any of the later games haha

autoduelist

Welp, just started my very first playthrough of this game about 2 hours ago, already can tell it will be challenging and I'm going to enjoy it. Haven't read anything about it so it should be a novel as well.

Any tips for someone who has played DS1, 2, and Bloodborne? Non spoiler ones obviously, but like something even a veteran souls player might not know?

I'm at the castle with the skeletons and the skeletons themselves are a lot harder than any of the later games haha

It's been a long time since I played, but the two things you should research are how different equip/carry weight work in Demon's as well as how tendency works.

In regards to the first, keep a careful eye on how fast you roll. You want to roll fast.

In regards to the second, I played most the game in soul form. You have less health but you'll get used to it, and there's an easy to get ring that gives you a boost. I let the game naturally go in one direction (black, i think?), did all that stuff, and only then worried about getting white. or maybe reverse, can't remember.

Oh, and there's an enemy fairly early on that is -way- too powerful to kill... turn around - you will know who I speak of. You can also cheese death him, but it's far more fun to come back way later and beat him fair and square.

Also... if you don't mind a fairly serious spoiler that I'll do my best to obfuscate, but one I think new players might want to know:
There is
eventually a npc in the nexus that will kill all your npcs one by one..., sort of like that beast does in the chapel in bloodborne but different. stop them, or don't, if you care.

zsswimmer

I have a feeling about who you are talking about mainly because the conversation I had gave me the impression that something like that may happen in the future, thanks though. THe equipment/roll animation I knew about since I have played the other souls games :p Just prefer to roll lighter so I'm using some leather armor now until something a little in between super light and super heavy pops up.

And how is the online for people who still play or played somewhat recently? I would imagine being on the PS3 and releasing such a good while ago would mean that it's dead for summoning, but I do notice that the player silohuettes pop up very frequently beside me while playing. Still, I would like to have an invasion or two along with a few coops here and there..

Maneater was my personal wall. Was seriously considering giving up. Took a break to play Bloodborne. Came back and did him on the second try. And then finished world 3 completely. Onto 4-2. Renewed my enthusiasm no end.

pixxxelz

So I just started playing this game this weekend, never played a souls game before but after doing all there is to do in bloodborne (I know that's technically a souls game but still)I have a question: does it matter in what order I complete the levels on this game? Like am I going to miss anything if I complete world 2 before 1 etc.

Also are there shortcuts to bosses like in bloodborne? So far I fought 3 (phalanx, fat dude on shrine of storms and spider like thing on stonefang tunnel) and the only one of those that had a shortcut was phalanx.

zsswimmer

So I just started playing this game this weekend, never played a souls game before but after doing all there is to do in bloodborne (I know that's technically a souls game but still)I have a question: does it matter in what order I complete the levels on this game? Like am I going to miss anything if I complete world 2 before 1 etc.

Also are there shortcuts to bosses like in bloodborne? So far I fought 3 (phalanx, fat dude on shrine of storms and spider like thing on stonefang tunnel) and the only one of those that had a shortcut was phalanx.

No it doesnt matter which order you do them in, some say that the section of the world determines the difficulty (i.e. 1-1, 2-1, 3-1 are easier than 1-2, 2-2, 3-2). I just did them however I felt was clicking for me in that particular gaming session.

What do you mean shortcut? You mean like to the bosses? I dont think so, its why dying is much more punishing in DeS

There is a shortcut to the Adjudicator in 4-1 but it's more of a skip than an intentional shortcut. You can roll over the wall on the battlements with the two archers down to where the regenerator's ring is, cutting out most of the area. There are a few other shortcuts and unlocked doors, and skips where you drop down to cut out a portion of the level, but generally Dark Souls 1 is more the game where you open up shortcuts like in BB.

pixxxelz

Damn so no shortcuts.. That definitively makes the game harder, well at least DaS1 has them planning on playing that once I'm done with this.
Thanks guys

pixxxelz

Well flamelurker is down, god that was a though boss.
I really need to learn how to use the shield on this game so far I've been playing it like BB completely ignoring it even though I always have one equipped, idk for how long I'm gonna be able to keep doing that.

Booshka

Well flamelurker is down, god that was a though boss.
I really need to learn how to use the shield on this game so far I've been playing it like BB completely ignoring it even though I always have one equipped, idk for how long I'm gonna be able to keep doing that.

If you got through Flamelurker without using a shield much, then you can probably handle the rest of the game without relying on a shield. Just keep the fast roll, 2 hand your weapon, and utilize unlocked play, along with locked on combat. Spacing, timing and i-frames with your rolls makes it totally doable for most of the game. There are a couple areas where the mobs are very tough with no shields, especially since there is no poise in Demon's to prevent staggering, so have one available.

All the Souls games are more fun when you aren't using a shield all the time, at least imo.

Soulhouf

Damn so no shortcuts.. That definitively makes the game harder, well at least DaS1 has them planning on playing that once I'm done with this.
Thanks guys

They aren't many but there are some good shortcuts in 1-1, 1-3, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1, 5-1, 5-2.
If you already played Bloodborne, Demon's Souls feels a lot like it when fast rolling. A good shield trivialize many parts but it's totally possible to play the entire game without using it.

I always do a first run where I use a shield a lot. It's medieval game after all. But once I figured out the enemies placements, movesets and the geometry of the levels, I pretty much stop relying on my shield all the time.
It's a lot of fun because it gives you a completely new way of playing the game.

BTW, Bloodborne became my favorite Souls-like game to my surprise despite the absence of shields.

zsswimmer

They aren't many but there are some good shortcuts in 1-1, 1-3, 2-1, 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 4-1, 5-1, 5-2.
If you already played Bloodborne, Demon's Souls feels a lot like it when fast rolling. A good shield trivialize many parts but it's totally possible to play the entire game without using it.

I always do a first run where I use a shield a lot. It's medieval game after all. But once I figured out the enemies placements, movesets and the geometry of the levels, I pretty much stop relying on my shield all the time.
It's a lot of fun because it gives you a completely new way of playing the game.

BTW, Bloodborne became my favorite Souls-like game to my surprise despite the absence of shields.

I was rolling with a longsword +5 and shield, and after being inspired by my Dark Souls strength build I decided to use and upgrade the greatsword in Demons Souls. Getting fast rolling along with it, it just shreds through everything.

Invaded some people's worlds in the second section of the Tower of Latria, and kept knocking fools left and right off the tiny bridges lol. I think the first Dark Souls is my favorite, Bloodborne might be second. Have you replayed BB yet? I put it down after my first playthrough and Im wondering how the replay factor is for it.

Soulhouf

I think the first Dark Souls is my favorite, Bloodborne might be second. Have you replayed BB yet? I put it down after my first playthrough and Im wondering how the replay factor is for it.

Yeah I'm at my 10th playthrough or so with more than 400 hours already.
I'm experimenting different builds and trying to min/max them.

Right now I'm doing a Waste of Skin, no level up run. I think I made a mistake and I don't want to farm the materials to change weapon so I'm going to start over.
There are 2 things I like a lot in BB over Dark Souls:
- The absolutely dark Lovecraftian atmosphere with no compromise.
- The game retains the same level of quality from beginning to end. All places you visit and the bosses are creative and very well designed.

Demon's Souls also has that but not at the same level of polish of Bloodborne. Sadly that quality came at the cost of quantity of the content and replayability. I'm having a blast nevertheless.

I came back to Demon's Souls recently to see how it held up and I was impressed how similar the feeling to Bloodborne was.
I think Demon's Souls will remain a timeless classic despite being the first game. A lot of cool concepts and what I think being some "accidental genius" that you find in the next games and others that disappeared completely and remain unique to Demon's Souls.

zsswimmer

Yeah I'm at my 10th playthrough or so with more than 400 hours already.
I'm experimenting different builds and trying to min/max them.

Right now I'm doing a Waste of Skin, no level up run. I think I made a mistake and I don't want to farm the materials to change weapon so I'm going to start over.
There are 2 things I like a lot in BB over Dark Souls:
- The absolutely dark Lovecraftian atmosphere with no compromise.
- The game retains the same level of quality from beginning to end. All places you visit and the bosses are creative and very well designed.

Demon's Souls also has that but not at the same level of polish of Bloodborne. Sadly that quality came at the cost of quantity of the content and replayability. I'm having a blast nevertheless.

I came back to Demon's Souls recently to see how it held up and I was impressed how similar the feeling to Bloodborne was.
I think Demon's Souls will remain a timeless classic despite being the first game. A lot of cool concepts and what I think being some "accidental genius" that you find in the next games and others that disappeared completely and remain unique to Demon's Souls.
Oh wow, thats a lot of hours, I might try experimenting with some different builds. Never did much magic type builds in any of the souls games, I assume bloodtinge is the magic for Bloodborne.

Agreed with you about Demons Souls. Granted I got to play it after every other Souls game, so it probably made it look more unpolished than playing it when it first came out, but you can see where they struck gold with the game, its just plain atmospheric.

To me Dark Souls is the polished successor for sure, it has just as good atmosphere imo and lot of upgrades, including the pvp system, the healing system, bonfires, and npc questlines. For some reason the Prepare to Die Edition was sitting in my Steam account for like half a year, and I decided to fire it up and fell in love with it all over again. Gonna try some range and mage builds next after this strength one.

I guess I'll fire up BB too. NG+ seemed really difficult, at least the first level in Yarnham where you get down in the sewers, kept dying because of the swarm of powerful rats lol

Soulhouf

Oh wow, thats a lot of hours, I might try experimenting with some different builds. Never did much magic type builds in any of the souls games, I assume bloodtinge is the magic for Bloodborne.

Agreed with you about Demons Souls. Granted I got to play it after every other Souls game, so it probably made it look more unpolished than playing it when it first came out, but you can see where they struck gold with the game, its just plain atmospheric.

To me Dark Souls is the polished successor for sure, it has just as good atmosphere imo and lot of upgrades, including the pvp system, the healing system, bonfires, and npc questlines. For some reason the Prepare to Die Edition was sitting in my Steam account for like half a year, and I decided to fire it up and fell in love with it all over again. Gonna try some range and mage builds next after this strength one.

I guess I'll fire up BB too. NG+ seemed really difficult, at least the first level in Yarnham where you get down in the sewers, kept dying because of the swarm of powerful rats lol

I agree. Demon's Souls feels unpolished compared to Dark Souls. It feels very experimental in a good way because it's thanks to that that we've got all these cool concepts.

Now that we're starting to have many entries that use this formula, one of things I love about these games is how each one shines in a different way. They are similar but different at the same time.

Regarding magic, the equivalent in Bloodborne is arcane. Bloodtinge is its own thing and there is nothing in the previous games that is like it.
It's also probably the most powerful type of build because it's the only one that gives you very powerful melee and ranged attacks.

pixxxelz

If you got through Flamelurker without using a shield much, then you can probably handle the rest of the game without relying on a shield. Just keep the fast roll, 2 hand your weapon, and utilize unlocked play, along with locked on combat. Spacing, timing and i-frames with your rolls makes it totally doable for most of the game. There are a couple areas where the mobs are very tough with no shields, especially since there is no poise in Demon's to prevent staggering, so have one available.

All the Souls games are more fun when you aren't using a shield all the time, at least imo.
That's good to know, I've been forcing myself to use but it just doesn't feel right and most of the time I end using i-frames to defend myself anyways lol.
Gonna try putting a few more points on strength and two hand the meat cleaver and see how that works.

Yeah I found the one on 2-2 and 4-1 haven't played world 5 or 3 at all though.

I can't really compare bloodborne to any other of the souls games but so far I'm liking this as much as bloodborne, frame drops are a little annoying but I got through drakengard 3 I think I'll but fine.

Bossun

So I started playing the game again on my PSN us account on which I don'T have a ps+ subscription.

SO basically I'm screwed for online play right?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If anyone is interested in SL ~120 PvP, a friend of mine made a Skype (and PSN if you have no laptop or phone for easy Skyping but we'd rather avoid using that) chat for fight clubs (in 4-1). If you're interested PM me your PSN and/or Skype name and I'll add you.

kaos.

Just to let you know that, after many hours of farming, i finally got it:

z59BKMG.jpg

:D :D :D

Now i only need a pure moonlightstone and a couple of marrowstone's chunks to get all the weapon's trophies. :)

spliced

Nice, I myself just finally got it too. Thank goodness for Soulsucker, knocking out the dual uchi BP in one shot. He took 8 or so backstabs otherwise.

kaos.

I also got the pure moonlightstone (from the first lizard that i killed). :)
Next week i'll try to farm some chunks of marrowstone... i hope it doesn't take too much time.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Finished Dark 1&2 and Bloodborne but I'm new to Demon's so I figured why not.

I just killed that giant spider in 2-1 and I'm running low on non-amazing healing items which I'd rather not use right now. I'm pure melee for now but I'm wondering if I can learn just a bit o magic to heal myself. Any items or spells I can grab early on?

Tarkus

I just killed that giant spider in 2-1 and I'm running low on non-amazing healing items which I'd rather not use right now. I'm pure melee for now but I'm wondering if I can learn just a bit o magic to heal myself. Any items or spells I can grab early on?
You should meet a guy in 2-2 that becomes a vendor who sells grasses of all sorts. Don't worry about magic if you're enjoying pure melee.

2AdEPT

Yeah grass is fine and most agree it makes it too easy to heal, but if you really hate healing with grass you can do a faith build, use the heal miracle, use the second chance miracle, and bless all your weapons, which incrementally increase health. You can stack blessed weapons with the adjudicator shield +5 and health regen ring such that you will never have to worry about health, or poison for that matter, again. Health regen was nerfed in dark souls et al because it really was too strong in demons...to my knowledge demons wasnt patched, so heal away!! LOL.

kaos.

That is one of the most impressive looking DeS characters I've seen. All mine look like inside-out burn victims.

Thank you!
I spent most of the time on DeS creating my character and farming the pure bladestone... doing the rest (i got the platinum trophy in this game) was a piece of cake, compared to these two things. :)

2AdEPT

I'm very proud of my character's appearance... let me introduce to you, Lilith:

CBsS5In.jpg

do you like her?? :)

yes i like, looks very similar to my Demon mage chick. i.e. Huge weapon hidden behind a small one or catalyst, but with enough magic to use homing soul arrow. The combo on a skinny chick was enough to fool people into thinking she wouldnt hit hard...Her great sword came out after a few small one jabs. That hit hard, knocked people down, and the second round of homing arrows cleaned up what was left. Also I opted to put colourless souls on the rune shield...it was one of the first and only lightweight shields one could just put on your back to get an effect... it was much better to get the 60 magic defense while going two hadned than to get the rather small health regen from a larger and heavier adjudicator shield.

Also, all my chick characters were at least half asian, like my daughter, or full asian, like my wife, and have made up cool sounding (not really asian but close) names like Xienfeng.

Ah the memories!

kaos.

Yep, that's my character: a cute slim girl that hits as hard as 100 men. :)
Anyway, i usually pick names from ancient greek, mesopotamian, egyptian and roman mythology... Because i'm not a imaginative guy, definitely.

Ive started Demon Souls again, 3 years ago I reached the Tower Knight and couldn't beat it, so I started again today and beat the sod first time. Im not really sure where to go from here (other than another world/area). The door after Tower Knight won't let me progress until i defeat and archdemon, and I can't seem to find anywhere else to go in the Palace despite being areas I can see I haven't been to (like the open field to the left if the starting point in the palace. Time to move to another area ?

I also haven't changed my armour or weapons yet, mainly because I haven't seen anything worth changing too, no spells or "miracles" yet either (I'm a knight). I have upgraded my sword and shield once so far. Am i doing it wrong ? I have bumped up my vitality and strength a bit. Whats the word on swords n armour, best found out and about or bought from NPC's ?

Ive started Demon Souls again, 3 years ago I reached the Tower Knight and couldn't beat it, so I started again today and beat the sod first time. Im not really sure where to go from here (other than another world/area). The door after Tower Knight won't let me progress until i defeat and archdemon, and I can't seem to find anywhere else to go in the Palace despite being areas I can see I haven't been to (like the open field to the left if the starting point in the palace. Time to move to another area ?

I also haven't changed my armour or weapons yet, mainly because I haven't seen anything worth changing too, no spells or "miracles" yet either (I'm a knight). I have upgraded my sword and shield once so far. Am i doing it wrong ? I have bumped up my vitality and strength a bit. Whats the word on swords n armour, best found out and about or bought from NPC's ?
It's time to move on to another area. You can't access 1-3 (the next area of Boletaria) until you have killed an archdemon, which are the final bosses of each world. The earlier areas of each world are all easier than later stages - I would go straight to 1-2 because that's an area specifically for finding lots of upgrade materials
and another blacksmith
, so that will sort out the second question :)

You will come across armour throughout the game, just go with what you like the look of, and as for weapons - Souls isn't really about picking up new weapons as you go, more about finding a weapon or two you really like the moveset of and then upgrading. All weapons are viable, it's just about what you like. You will also increase the damage you do by looking at what stats a weapon scales with - if you have a huge axe and it scales a high grade (S, A, B) with strangth then you know to level up STR, the bonus multiplier is given on the weapons stats screen next to the damage like: 280 +165, the + figure is the bonus from your stats.

In that image the sword scales E with strength, S (the best) with Dex and the +147 is the bonus damage received from the players STR/DEX stats. So with that sword, put points into DEX for more damage.

In think I'm approaching the end of the game. I have the shrine of storms 4-3 boss and 1-3 available to me. Every thing else I've beaten. I still feel like there's so much about the game i haven't explored. I used a club, bastard sword which i upgraded, a blessed mace, and the dragon bone sword. The only thing i upgraded the entire game was the bastard sword. Played mostly two handed, light armor, rolling around. Used a steel shield for some of the more cramped areas and for those rolling skeleton dudes in shrine of storms. Never used magic spells or miracles or whatever else. Never used any of these shards i have of dragonstone, soapstone, stickystone or whatever they are. Never even found an npc to use them with. I basically just upgraded endurance, vitality, and strength the entire game. Some parts were really hard because i couldn't use any projectiles other than some bolts now and then for flying enemies.

Am I close to the end?

I do agree with all I've heard about world tendecy. It's a cool idea, but it ultimately left me feeling like i had to deal with something out of my control. I can't save the dude in 3-1 because of the world tendecy keeping me from the key (i looked it up because i searched EVERYWHERE for that damn key)

In think I'm approaching the end of the game. I have the shrine of storms 4-3 boss and 1-3 available to me. Every thing else I've beaten.
Besides those two areas,
1-4 will become available after 1-3, and then the final boss as well.

Never used any of these shards i have of dragonstone, soapstone, stickystone or whatever they are. Never even found an npc to use them with.
You probably found him but didn't
give the Blacksmith in 2-1 the Red Hot Demon's Soul (Flamelurker's soul) which opens him up to creating different weapon upgrade paths and making boss weapons from their souls

It's time to move on to another area. You can't access 1-3 (the next area of Boletaria) until you have killed an archdemon, which are the final bosses of each world. The earlier areas of each world are all easier than later stages - I would go straight to 1-2 because that's an area specifically for finding lots of upgrade materials
and another blacksmith
, so that will sort out the second question :)

You will come across armour throughout the game, just go with what you like the look of, and as for weapons - Souls isn't really about picking up new weapons as you go, more about finding a weapon or two you really like the moveset of and then upgrading. All weapons are viable, it's just about what you like. You will also increase the damage you do by looking at what stats a weapon scales with - if you have a huge axe and it scales a high grade (S, A, B) with strangth then you know to level up STR, the bonus multiplier is given on the weapons stats screen next to the damage like: 280 +165, the + figure is the bonus from your stats.

In that image the sword scales E with strength, S (the best) with Dex and the +147 is the bonus damage received from the players STR/DEX stats. So with that sword, put points into DEX for more damage.

Perfect, thanks for the tips :) I wasn't sure if DS was a bit of a loot game, this confirms it, mostly about personal preference. Didn't want to start upgrading weapons/armour if it was going to be wasteful. Time to make DS my bitch.

Top Bottom