• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Remake needs to have an Easy difficulty setting

chikydee

Neo Member
I don't have a problem with it, I think it would bring more people into the franchise which would equate to better DS games in the future.
actually I changed my mind, it's not going to appeal to the current fanbase and may actually ruin the franchise. So no easy mode please. I don't think there are a shortage of alternative, less challenging games anyway.

June

The whole game is built with the intention of having the player constantly overcome challenges, from gameplay mechanics, to enemy placements and attacks, to level design, to bosses. The developer made the difficulty the point of the game and the reason for the game's existence, so the player can fill a rush of adrenaline everytime he overcomes one of the challenges.

That single option would make the game existence pointless.

Go play Blasphemous, it's much harder than Souls but the more you play it the more you realise that it could not be made easier, it would make no sense for the game to be easier. Instead of a very difficult (but fair) game, you would have a boring 3h 2D action platformer.

I find this argument funny because you're basically saying everything else these games offer from their graphics, animations, music, art style, atmosphere, story, etc etc is all worthless and pointless and that difficulty is the only thing it has going for it. Maybe that's how you feel but other people can probably appreciate more from these games than just it's level of difficulty

CitizenX

Banned
Just to be clear, everyone(I guess those with nothing better to do) wants a gender choice but difficultism is where we are drawing the line now?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I find this argument funny because you're basically saying everything else these games offer from their graphics, animations, music, art style, atmosphere, story, etc etc is all worthless and pointless and that difficulty is the only thing it has going for it. Maybe that's how you feel but other people can probably appreciate more from these games than just it's level of difficulty
The game's combat is slow and deliberate, the difficulty of these games comes from the fact that your mobility is limited and you can't just charge at enemies/bosses and start mashing button and hoping for the best. Combat in these games are not flashy like Bayonetta or DMC, they are slow and so if the game has easy difficulty option the same people who complain about its difficulty will start complaining about how slow the combat is.

FROM are not type of developers who just put half-ass difficulty option like other developers, they will have to change the entire nature of the combat in order to make it fun for average players which that something they don't want to do.

I repeated this same post many times here but you guys refuse to accepted it. I personally don't like the fact that REVII and VIII are in first person and in fact I hated but you wont see me demanding to change the game for me, this what Capcom decided to do and I'm free not like it and move one.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I don't have a problem with it, I think it would bring more people into the franchise which would equate to better DS games in the future.
Yeah and more people to review bomb the game before they play it. That’s how you know you have really made it.

Umbral

There’s thousands of other, less demanding games. Go play them.

Final Fantasy isn’t for me. You don’t see me trying to get them to change it so that it is.

laynelane

All those matter to me quite a bit. However, I've focused my attention on difficulty in comments because the OP is about adding an Easy mode. If it was a more generalized topic, there would be more comments on the other strengths of Souls games.

For people with a disability this would be a godsend. I dont get the gid gud answers in this thread.

How does an easy mode lessen your enjoyment of the game dear fromsoft Fan?

Danjin44

For people with a disability this would be a godsend. I dont get the gid gud answers in this thread.

Ready my post above...
giphy.gif

Ar¢tos

If the core of the game is its difficulty, when you take that away all that is left is a boring mess.
Go watch the latest gameplay trailer, where everything dies in 1 hit and the character just tanks hits from the boss (probably for demo purposes), now imagine 30h like that, and how quickly it will become boring.

June

If the core of the game is its difficulty, when you take that away all that is left is a boring mess.
Go watch the latest gameplay trailer, where everything dies in 1 hit and the character just tanks hits from the boss (probably for demo purposes), now imagine 30h like that, and how quickly it will become boring.

Difficulty is relative to the player's capabilities and what is boring or not boring is subjective. For some people playing a game where they die over and over again, or where they don't feel like dealing with a certain level of difficulty (whether too high or too low) is boring. That's why options are a good thing. Putting in a few sliders for player and enemy health would be a start.

I really couldn't give a fuck about "fragmenting the playerbase" of a single player game or not "joining the discussion on the same level" as others (comments apparently made by the creator of these games, according to a post on the previous page). I just want to engage in single player games the way I see fit. That's why I like mods and options.

Danjin44

Putting in a few sliders for player and enemy health would be a start
Like I said in my last post FROM wont do half-ass difficulty setting like other developers. Also developers are free to design their games however they want, not every game meant to appeal to everybody.

Ar¢tos

Difficulty is relative to the player's capabilities and what is boring or not boring is subjective. For some people playing a game where they die over and over again, or where they don't feel like dealing with a certain level of difficulty (whether too high or too low) is boring. That's why options are a good thing. Putting in a few sliders for player and enemy health would be a start.

I really couldn't give a fuck about "fragmenting the playerbase" of a single player game or not "joining the discussion on the same level" as others (comments apparently made by the creator of these games, according to a post on the previous page). I just want to engage in single player games the way I see fit. That's why I like mods and options.
The game is not meant to be a single player game. It has invasions and summons. Just because YOU want to play it offline, that doesn't entitle you to having more options because of that.

Danjin44

The game is not meant to be a single player game. It has invasions and summons. Just because YOU want to play it offline, that doesn't entitle you to having more options because of that.
I actually played most Souls/Bloodborne offline I had no problems. I love fighting bosses alone but if some people having hard with some of the fights, they can always summon someone to help them out. There is actual option for people without difficulty setting.

June

It's not entitlement. It's feedback.

People are free to feedback what they'd like from a thing just as much as the creators are free to create what they like. You've never suggestiong anything you would like to see added or changed to a game? Were you being entitled?

Bragr

Banned
There is a lot more too it though, a problem with difficulty modes is that players default to normal. Personally, I would never play Dark Souls on anything but normal if I had the choice back then, but after learning what these games are about, I have started to love the idea of a game where you can't proceed without being alert and learning to fight. By not giving me a choice, it showed me a way of playing games I shied away from before. And I know millions are in that same boat by being converted by the Souls doctrine of having to fight and push yourself to move forward. The whole purpose of the game is to invite the player to a world where you have to adapt and face challenges, to subvert the norm of the common triple-A game, where you barely need any mental effort to progress.

Danjin44

People are free to feedback what they'd like from a thing just as much as the creators are free to create what they like.
You also need accept the fact that not all games meant to appeal to everybody. I'm not in to FF14 because its MMO, should I ask if they would make completely offline mode for me? No, because end of the day is MMO, and meant to be played online and I'm not the target audience for this type of game.

Bragr

Banned
Also, let's just agree that difficult in most games are terribly balanced. So many times if you choose hard or very hard, you have annoying difficulty spikes like one super hard boss out of the blue or a section with a layout that suddenly becomes frustrating. Rarely do developers balance their games properly, I would welcome more developers to remove difficulty modes altogether and focus on great balance in one of them rather than half-ass in all of them.

Danjin44

Also, let's just agree that difficult in most games are terribly balanced.
My issue comes from when people play games like Bayonetta and DMC on easy/normal and say the combat too "button mashy" and there for has crappy combat. i experience this many times and bet you anything if Souls had easy difficulty option, people will play those games and come here to say how slow the combat is.

Why should FROM on propose make badly balance difficulty mode?

Last edited:

Self

It's not entitlement. It's feedback.

People are free to feedback what they'd like from a thing just as much as the creators are free to create what they like. You've never suggestiong anything you would like to see added or changed to a game? Were you being entitled?

Indeed, feedback is just fine and legit. The crux is that FROM knows about that feedback and already answered it with a... no. They even go on and make their games harder.

So the question is rather: When will people stop begging and just respect the creators feedback? The topic started with Demon Souls needs to have a difficulty option. It doesn't.

There is no problem in asking, but will you shut up when your question has been answered?

Umbral

Go play something else.

Umbral

My issue comes from when people play games like Bayonetta and DMC on easy/normal and say the combat too "button mashy" and there for has crappy combat. i experience this many times and bet you anything if Souls had easy difficulty option, people will play those games and come here to say how slow the combat is.

Why should FROM on propose make badly balance difficulty mode?
What difficulty should someone play Bayonetta/DMC on? I admit, with those games, I’m a button-masher. Should I just start on a harder difficulty? I’m gonna play the Bayonetta remaster soon and will probably pick up DMC 5 on PS5.

Umbral

The combat in those games truly shine on hard, especially when you learn how to pull off doge offset in Bayonetta.
Metal Gear Rising is probably the only one of those type of games I didn’t button mash on. I got really good at that one. Revengeance difficulty was too much though.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Metal Gear Rising is probably the only one of those type of games I didn’t button mash on. I got really good at that one. Revengeance difficulty was too much though.
MGR is less about pulling off long combo and more about parry.

Keihart

The fucking gymnastics to understand that if you don't stick with a game designed like Demon's Souls it's probably because you aren't interested in what the game offers anyway?

Just think for a fucking minute how many players felt that the game was hard and somehow were elated when beating the first boss, unlocking the first checkpoint or finding that build or weapon that made hard areas easy.
You put easy mode, and you would rob a whole lot of players of that experience because when you get frustrated by failing you are given the easy way out, why bother figuring it out or taking a break to come back later, maybe i should just put easy mode and get my trophies.

Just think for a minute what it's the game trying to make the player experience.

Last edited:

Fuck people trying to use people with disabilities as means of argument.
For people with a disability ACCESSIBILITY options is what they seek, not DIFFICULTY options. They want to be able to have various means of playing accustomed to their disability, not just a game without any challenge. They are fully capable to take part in Demon's Souls, which is largely puzzle bosses and an overall slow paced game. To say otherwise is to belittle them.

The base game is the easy mode. It's an easy game that basically just requires you to explore how you play it and once you understand it, you can roll over all enemies. It's completely cerebral. The whole game is just getting over the lazy limits you put on yourself, where you mash brainlessly on buttons. There's even the option of Royalty and easy to get powerful items, that allows people wanting an easier time a way of overcome the challenge.
If anything, it could need a mechanic like DS2, allowing you to increase the difficulties of an area+boss with an item.

Having a base difficulty is what makes the Souls games. It's a communal experience. Everyone will go through that one difficulty and you'll all go through it together. So changing that would definitely ruin the experience. Best choice is adding difficulty increasing items, which DS2 showed to be a good addition imo, though some might have something against that as well.

dalekjay

On otherside I’m thinking of dropping Ghost of Tsushima just because is disappointing easy even on hardest and without side quest upgrades, you don’t need to use everything you can do because you fight anyone with basic stance and going “ninja” is even easier

borborygmus

"Everything needs to appeal to everyone" - the lowest common denominator is by definition going to be equal at best, and lower in 99% of cases than any given peak.

"I don't like what this series is about and those who like it are basically autists, so this series should be reworked" - this is the definition of subversion. It's like going into a pizzeria and demanding their new product be reworked into chicken tendies in order to appeal to a wider audience. Just go somewhere else and let people enjoy their well established thing. You won't see me trying to start a revolution in an established series that isn't for me.

"Options are good" - the maximum amount of options is called a game engine. A game should be well defined, and Demon's Souls is. In general, options are neither invariably good nor bad and the merits of the proposed options should be assessed rather than mindless adherence to a slogan like this.

"It's a remake not a remaster" - it's a remake of something. There's no such thing as just a "remake" in a vacuum. Game engines are free, go and make your easy mode game rather than subverting something that exists and don't care very much about.

"I want a new, different experience" - There are plenty of games for you that are not Demon's Souls.

In summary, people who want changes like this are basically asking for Demon's Souls, but not like Demon's Souls because that game is ugly and brown and for autists anyway and it's a remake so it may as well be something else entirely. It's just egregious and indefensible. Some will call this a strawman argument, but I disagree, I've gone through several threads and this is what I've seen.

It's postmodern nonsense that stems from the inane question "what is anything really, anyway?" and their answer is nothing, nothing is defined and anything can be anything. Demon's Souls may as well be colorful and cartoony and easy. There's no absolute standard. Time and time again this kind of thinking ruins things., e.g. Diablo 3.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I'm with you OP. I personally wouldn't use it but I believe every game should have an easy mode (I.e accessibility options).

It's an upward battle though as I found out on my last thread on the subject. Some people desperately don't want others playing "their" games no matter what solutions you provide.

borborygmus

Some people desperately don't want others playing "their" games no matter what solutions you provide.

That's because there's no shortage of games so it comes off very entitled to find that one game that is designed around a certain kind of difficulty and asking for it to be homogenized. It's like being at a buffet but being unsatisfied that salad even exists and some people like it, when there's an abundance of stuff.

Hostile_18

Banned
That's because there's no shortage of games so it comes off very entitled to find that one game that is designed around a certain kind of difficulty and asking for it to be homogenized. It's like being at a buffet but being unsatisfied that salad even exists and some people like it, when there's an abundance of stuff.

Thing is though accessibility options dont effect your enjoyment to play the game how you want (as the devs intended). Let other people enjoy it how they want. Everyone has paid the same amount of money. Let them have an experience even if it isnt an optimal, balanced one.

I mentioned extensively before as well what is challenging for your skill level might be impossible for someone else. An easy mode that is a cake walk for you might be a challenge for someone with a disability. Difficulty is all relative.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I'm with you OP. I personally wouldn't use it but I believe every game should have an easy mode (I.e accessibility options).

It's an upward battle though as I found out on my last thread on the subject. Some people desperately don't want others playing "their" games no matter what solutions you provide.
Not that I necessarily disagree with having the option for an easy mode here, just that being easy and being accessible are different things.

borborygmus

Thing is though accessibility options dont effect your enjoyment to play the game how you want

This has been addressed numerous times even on this page. Life has scarcity. Everything has a cost. In some cases it can directly affect the base game and even if it didn't it'd incur development costs/time just to cater to people who by definition do not like what was being made in the first place.

I mentioned extensively before as well what is challenging for your skill level might be impossible for someone else. An easy mode that is a cake walk for you might be a challenge for someone with a disability. Difficulty is all relative.

So what? It is not a given that everything should cater to everyone. Some games are too difficult for me so I don't play them, and I do not want them changed for my sake because of a little thing called respect.

With the extreme abundance of games it's the height of entitlement to target the one game that doesn't cater to you and act like it should.

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
Thing is though accessibility options dont effect your enjoyment to play the game how you want (as the devs intended). Let other people enjoy it how they want. Everyone has paid the same amount of money. Let them have an experience even if it isnt an optimal, balanced one.

Wrong argument mate.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There´s people that beat this game with the Donkey Konga bongos. If you can´t beat them with a gamepad better go read a book. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Nah but seriously, making an "easy mode" is not done in an afternoon. You have to put resources into it, balance the game around it and try to not mess up the multiplayer between the normal players and the easy players. IMO those resources are better spent anywhere else.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Fuck people trying to use people with disabilities as means of argument.
For people with a disability ACCESSIBILITY options is what they seek, not DIFFICULTY options. They want to be able to have various means of playing accustomed to their disability, not just a game without any challenge. They are fully capable to take part in Demon's Souls, which is largely puzzle bosses and an overall slow paced game. To say otherwise is to belittle them.

The base game is the easy mode. It's an easy game that basically just requires you to explore how you play it and once you understand it, you can roll over all enemies. It's completely cerebral. The whole game is just getting over the lazy limits you put on yourself, where you mash brainlessly on buttons. There's even the option of Royalty and easy to get powerful items, that allows people wanting an easier time a way of overcome the challenge.
If anything, it could need a mechanic like DS2, allowing you to increase the difficulties of an area+boss with an item.

Having a base difficulty is what makes the Souls games. It's a communal experience. Everyone will go through that one difficulty and you'll all go through it together. So changing that would definitely ruin the experience. Best choice is adding difficulty increasing items, which DS2 showed to be a good addition imo, though some might have something against that as well.

not to mention there were literal disabled folks who were posted beating thesouls games earlier and doing better than most.

Lets call it for what it is: a scapegoat. The folks screaming for easier difficulties use disabled folks as a scapegoat so they don’t look like complete jokes. Too bad it always fails.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
They would if it were the real issue, wouldn't they? They could also play other games seeing as there are more games out than one can even play in a lifetime.

But it's not what they want. They want what you are enjoying.

Well, yes. That's exactly what's going on here. People who don't want to play a game that requires patience to master the challenge, just can't stand it that other players do. But rather than playing something else, they want to ruin the fun that you're having... for some petty reason I still can't actually get my head around.

And this is all happening now just because Demon's Souls is the most high profile launch game for Ps5.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Christ the hyperbole in this thread. All for a video game option that one has the option to turn on or off. Some of the brief arguments I've seen:

"git gud"
"postmodernism" (this one was a stretch)
"entitlement"
"It's easy just watch youtube"

Sure I understand they are supposed to be difficult, but having an option to set the difficulty doesn't lessen or ruin someone else's enjoyment of the game. Everyone's experience is in a vacuum with these types of games. All it does is attack the insecurities of those who play these games as if they were some sort of life achievement.

Again, would I play it on easy? Probably not. But others might. So what? It's video game not the gom jabbar test.

I understand that implementing these things take resources so it may not be feasible either. In that case play another game. Also if the developers have a vision of difficulty that doesn't adhere to yours, play another game. But the argument of any of the above in quotes is insipid and devoid of any intelligence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom