• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon’s Souls Remake needs to have an Easy difficulty setting

tryDEATH

LMFAO.

I mentioned this in another thread and how this sort of thinking will be 1000x amplified when the casuals get their hands on Demon's Souls being unaware how hard this game is compared to the hand holding games they have been playing the last couple of years. Just look at the easy setting in TLoU2, its basically toddler proof.

Around 50% of people end up quitting Soul's like games at the first boss, the whinnying is going to be so glorious.

Nameless

You'll never hear me argue for easy mode in Souls games, but this isn't From Software, I could see Sony deciding to maximize accessibility given the resources and spotlight this game is getting. And if would be a mistake, although not a huge deal when it comes down to it .

Miyazaki's RPGs will stay true to his design philosophies.

Saruhashi

Banned
Comparing a personal videogame experience to sports competitions, changing rooms, your wife's disappointment with you... 🤦‍♂️

That collection of absurd stupidities, mental fantasies and straw man fallacies are so not validly related to anything been said that almost don't even deserve an answer.

No one can say what it is that you lose with those games having different difficulty options, because there is NOTHING. Just that pathetic "soulflake club" exclusivity feeling. The people asking for different difficulty options are not the ones that want to subtract anything from your experience. On the contrary, it is you that want to prevent others from enjoying the game in different ways, that again, does not affect your experience, at all.

As you clearly stated, your "sense of accomplishment" is not about you beating the game on Hard mode, but about preventing other people enjoying it easier.
That dependency on other's experiences for you to be able to feel "accomplishment" and "a winner" is just pathetic.

Can you beat Bloodborne blindfolded and using a dance mat controller with your ass? congratulations! good for you, "accomplished winner"! guess what, normal people that want difficulty options doesn't care how you enjoy your game. This isn't a competition, and their enjoyment of the game doesn't depend on yours.

Haha. There it is.

The losers mantra.
"Your achievement is meaningless."

Resorting to name calling. "Soulflake."
Though I will give you that one. Pretty funny.

Just saying I think it's pretty telling that you run straight to denigrating people who feel that these games are all the better for not having the option to just skip through the challenging parts of the game.

I could see your point if 50% of games were like this.
That would be a bit shitty because it means the available games on the market are largely only appealing to a very narrow audience.
I am in favor of having all kinds of games available to appeal to all different kinds of people.

So let's say you are correct here. Let's say that you have a small portion of the gaming public that wants a game that is quite challenging and also that doesn't offer an easy way around that challenge. Let's say they also build a community around those specific games and they enjoy themselves within that community. You might think that's pathetic or whatever just the same as they might think people who need to change the game to easy so they can boast about completing it are pathetic.

Is there any reason why there shouldn't be a handful of games specifically made for that specific audience?

I mean, how many AAA games have been released this gen? Hundreds?
So with all those games to choose from it's STILL unacceptable to have a small handful of games that appeal to a certain audience?
Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2 Re-release, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, Dark Souls Reamstered. FIVE games.
They can't even have that?

No. We need to bitch and moan and prattle on about people being pathetic and how lame they are for thinking that beating a game is an "achievement" and how horrible it is that they laugh and say "get good". Really? They can't even have a handful of games like that?

I think if we are being honest here the problem is that this last gen social media and streaming has REALLY come into play and now instead of having a small online community sharing tips and tricks and experiences you have this explosion of popularity. People want to be seen engaging with the popular thing but this difficulty problem leaves them feeling like they are on the outside looking it.

Then, somewhat emblematic of the times we live in, the solution is to try and destroy it.
Put an easy mode in their games that'll show 'em!
Shame them! Call them sad and pathetic!
Let's see them do "gate keeping" when every one can complete the game?
"Git Gud?" No thanks. I'll just switch to Easy Mode.
Enjoy your community now, losers!

We've had a shit year but at least in gaming it's been filled with awesome gaming news, announcements and releases.
Concluding with the launch of amazing new consoles that will offer amazing new games.
Game, after game, after game is announced and yet...
"This ONE game better have a fucking easy mode!"

All this for what? Because "Soulflakes" are off doing their own thing with the one launch game that is aimed at them?
You can't just leave that be? Let them have their game and their philosophy and just get on with enjoying whatever it is that you enjoy?

Nope. Gotta tear it down!
There's a single launch game that isn't exactly what I want it to be! Change it!

There are obviously conflicting worldviews here.
Some want a game that offers X.
Others want a game that offers Y.
Are we saying that there isn't scope here to have games that appeal to both sides?
Plenty of games have easy modes. Go play them. Lots of those around.
You want a game with no difficulty options? Very few of those around so your choices are limited to a few games only.

"Reeeeeeeeeeeee those games need to have difficulty options too!"

Surely, even if you are correct about the whole philosophy around "gatekeeping" and "get good" and everything that comes with that, we can let it slide for ONE single launch title?

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
LMFAO.

I mentioned this in another thread and how this sort of thinking will be 1000x amplified when the casuals get their hands on Demon's Souls being unaware how hard this game is compared to the hand holding games they have been playing the last couple of years. Just look at the easy setting in TLoU2, its basically toddler proof.

Around 50% of people end up quitting Soul's like games at the first boss, the whinnying is going to be so glorious.
Yep. The Souls equivalent of "Story Mode" is watching a VaatiVidya playlist. Much cheaper, too.

Grinchy

Banned
LMFAO.

And I just don't understand where the mentality came from. This weird idea that if you don't like something, then the thing should change into a form you might like more. You know, instead of just not buying the thing you don't like instead...

vkbest

No way, I have seen several reactions on Youtube from gameplay, and many people who don't know and played about Demons Souls, though was a Dark Souls 4 or remake immediately after the character is moving. People know what is a Souls even if they don't like.

GymWolf

People better be ready for an easy mode in this game, this is not from, it's mostly sony.

Sure let's make a remake of a niche game with an even more niche level of challenge as a launch game to get the mass on board of our console...

You can save this post for when they are gonna show the retard mode for whiners.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
People better be ready for an easy mode in this game, this is not from, it's mostly sony.

Sure let make a remake of a niche game with an even more niche level of challenge as a launch game to get the mass on board of our console...

You can save this post for when they are gonna show the retard mode for whiners.

I'm sorry but dark souls isn't really "niche" anymore.

Saruhashi

Banned
And I just don't understand where the mentality came from. This weird idea that if you don't like something, then the thing should change into a form you might like more. You know, instead of just not buying the thing you don't like instead...

I think it's more a case of feeling resentment at being told to "get good".

Think about when any major release comes out.
The "buzz" on social media and forums is about how much we are enjoying the game.
How epic this level was and how that amazing story beat took us by surprise etc etc.
Very little conversation about difficulty and challenge.

Then compare to the release of Sekiro where the discussion takes a very different form.
How the hell do I beat this boss?
What can I do to make this part easier?

"Look at me everyone I am playing the hot new game! Oh my god that twist! I literally cried at the end!"
That's fine for interactive experiences. Actually, that's what you want from an interactive story, basically.
When faced with a challenging game it becomes "I don't have time for this just let me experience the story!".

Imagine you go to the local cinema to watch a movie.
Then after 15 minutes they hit pause and the staff come in to give you a test.
They want to make sure you've been paying attention and if you fail the test you need to leave.
If you pass the test you can watch the next 30 mins of movie which will be followed by another test.

That would be total bullshit right? It's no way to watch a movie.

The problem I would see is games getting stuck between being a "game" and being an "interactive story".
People who are used to "interacting" and "experiencing" and then posting about it online seem to be thrown when a game comes along that says "OK now to proceed you need to show mastery of the mechanics."

So you'd get a game like Sekiro being hyped for months and folks are excited to see the world and the story and to share their experience with the internet at the game is like "here is the Chained Ogre now go figure it out".

"Oh... well... I don't have time for this... let's just go to the difficulty setti-... wait... what? Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

I think we can see the disconnect there.

GymWolf

I'm sorry but dark souls isn't really "niche" anymore.
You have a point but it's still a niche genre compared to fps, tps, open worlds etc.

And it's a launch game, i really don't see sony coming out with an hard game with no easy mode.

I hope i'm wrong.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Ehh, why not. Just split out the trophies or something so that people who still want to earn that shit can.

Besides, DeS isn't that hard compared to most of the other Souls games as far as I remember.

Grinchy

Banned
I think it's more a case of feeling resentment at being told to "get good".

Think about when any major release comes out.
The "buzz" on social media and forums is about how much we are enjoying the game.
How epic this level was and how that amazing story beat took us by surprise etc etc.
Very little conversation about difficulty and challenge.

Then compare to the release of Sekiro where the discussion takes a very different form.
How the hell do I beat this boss?
What can I do to make this part easier?

"Look at me everyone I am playing the hot new game! Oh my god that twist! I literally cried at the end!"
That's fine for interactive experiences. Actually, that's what you want from an interactive story, basically.
When faced with a challenging game it becomes "I don't have time for this just let me experience the story!".

Imagine you go to the local cinema to watch a movie.
Then after 15 minutes they hit pause and the staff come in to give you a test.
They want to make sure you've been paying attention and if you fail the test you need to leave.
If you pass the test you can watch the next 30 mins of movie which will be followed by another test.

That would be total bullshit right? It's no way to watch a movie.

The problem I would see is games getting stuck between being a "game" and being an "interactive story".
People who are used to "interacting" and "experiencing" and then posting about it online seem to be thrown when a game comes along that says "OK now to proceed you need to show mastery of the mechanics."

So you'd get a game like Sekiro being hyped for months and folks are excited to see the world and the story and to share their experience with the internet at the game is like "here is the Chained Ogre now go figure it out".

"Oh... well... I don't have time for this... let's just go to the difficulty setti-... wait... what? Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

I think we can see the disconnect there.
But that all boils down to the user's expectation of what something is not matching what it actually is. And that's not the thing's fault.

I can watch a streamer win 5 battle royale matches in a row and then when I try it out, I die in the first 10 seconds over and over again. That doesn't mean the game has to change just because I suck. I just have to realize that I went into it with faulty expectations.

A movie theater that quizzes people and kicks them out for not paying attention (fuck, I love this idea and would go to this theater any time) is a weird comparison to me, unless they let you re-watch that last 15 minutes and re-take the quiz. Because that's what Sekiro does. You don't get one try and then your product disappears. You have the ability to figure it out, or realize it was never for you.

Last edited:

Self

But that all boils down to the user's expectation of what something is not matching what it actually is. And that's not the thing's fault.

Apparently (for many people) it is.
They propose it's a faulty product, because it supposedly fails to 'include' everyone capable of holding a pad.

It's 'racist', so to speak.

Jokerevo

Banned
No. Not every game is made for you. If you don't like it, go play something else. I don't go and play Zelda BOTW and complain about it being too easy, I just accept that that is the target market. I mean, DS isn't hard anyways, it's just about patterns and decisions. After you get over the inital hump (of being under-levelled) it becomes much easier.

Jokerevo

Banned
Hi,

Creative intent. It’s a powerful argument as well as an excuse used to justify decision made by developers. Creative intent encompasses every conscious decision made by a developer. Difficulty is one of these choices. But so is a commitment to accessibility. Allowing as many people to experience a game is very important. Changing the difficulty is a great way to make a game more accessible for the masses.

That said, difficulty is design. It sometimes IS the experience of the game. Frustration when you loose your life could be the intent of the creator. Making a game too easy would change the experience of the game and might not deliver the experience that the creator wanted to give the gamer.

So yes, accessibility is extremely important if you want your game to be experienced from start to finish by many people. And having a choice of difficulty does not change the experience for people who choose to play the way the creator wants to the game to be played.

However, it’s up to the creator to provide accessibility options. If they choose to not have difficulty options, than that’s fine. It will likely alienate a number of gamers that like an easier experience. It will suck for them. But in the end the creator can and should decide what they want to do. If you don’t like the game because of the decisions made you should let the developer know. Maybe they will change things. But no creator is obligated to listen to anyone.

Cheers.

Correct, difficulty is the design and is the experience. But also this ethos belongs to the greatest of games that adhere to the rule: if there is no risk, there should be no reward.

That's why with Souls games and similar games..when you succeed, you feel it and enjoy it 1000 times more than when you finish an entire <insert easy game here> . I had a friend who said he would never be good enough to finish a souls game solo (much harder to do it offline and by yourself btw) and he did it. I heard more gasps and screams of joy from him on that game than any other game he's ever played.

Some games you play, others you live.

I'd rather play the latter.

GymWolf

Haha. I was playing Dark Souls Remastered on Saturday. Was quite excited about having a smoke and getting immersed in the world because I was doing so well in the morning. NOPE. My mechanical timing and natural lack of fear for the challenging bosses were adversely affected :ROFLMAO:
It's a matter of getting used, i legit don't remember the last time i played something while not being stoned.

Last edited:

royox

so I can actually enjoy a Souls game for once.

Yeah, no.

There's only 1 way of enjoying Souls Games. If you don't like them as they are then play another thing. Not all games are for everybody.

What you are saying is like "Can the next Fifa game be a First Person Shooter so I can enjoy it?" Just play another thing.

DJT123

It's a matter of getting used, i legit don't remember the last time i played something while not being stoned.
I know what you mean, and it usually doesn't have an impact on how badly I play either. I think there are just some mechanically challenging games that don't make it a good fit for me. Somehow I also didn't enjoy/do well with a game like Doom Eternal for the same reason.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I know what you mean, and it usually doesn't have an impact on how badly I play either. I think there are just some mechanically challenging games that don't make it a good fit for me. Somehow I also didn't enjoy/do well with a game like Doom Eternal for the same reason.
yeah i guess that if go with some logic, a drug that slow you down is not exactly the best for fast paced games :ROFLMAO:

FunkMiller

Surely, even if you are correct about the whole philosophy around "gatekeeping" and "get good" and everything that comes with that, we can let it slide for ONE single launch title?

Nope. They can't have that, because Demon's Souls is quite clearly THE launch title for the Ps5. It looks incredible, and everybody knows it.

"Waaah... waaah... wahmbulance... why can't they make it easier so I can play it?'

So we're going to get this for weeks now. A bunch of entitled, lazy fucking gamers calling us soulflakes and assholes and sad bastards just because we want these games to be played the way the developers intended and the way that we enjoy - because that's what makes the Souls games great in the first place.

And they'll try to put their point across in disingenuous ways, about how they 'don't have time' to play hard games or that 'it doesn't ruin your enjoyment' if there's an easy mode. And all the while we all sit there knowing full well that the only reason they're actually asking for an easy mode is that they're not good enough at the game, but just can't bring themselves to admit it.

And we'll all calmly say how the difficulty is an intrinsic part of the Souls games, and how none of us actually think we're superior gamers, we just know we like to put the effort and time in to get better, rather than having everything laid out for us on a plate... and then they'll accuse us of just screaming GIT GUD at them.

And if the day comes when they get their way, and the Souls games get an easy mode, they won't fucking like them anyway because the story is obtuse and weird and doesn't get handed to you on a plate either. And then none of us will be happy, except for those who just HATE IT when they see others having a good time with something they suck at.

...and then times all of this by ten when Elden Ring comes out.

tryDEATH

No way, I have seen several reactions on Youtube from gameplay, and many people who don't know and played about Demons Souls, though was a Dark Souls 4 or remake immediately after the character is moving. People know what is a Souls even if they don't like.

Never said people didn't know about it, but don't know how difficult it is to play and beat.

vkbest

Never said people didn't know about it, but don't know how difficult it is to play and beat.

lol, those game are not difficult. Once you learn the mechanics the game is pretty normal, you can even summon people for carry you to the boss

Last edited:

SolidSlug

Neo Member
Interesting thread.

• Players who relish the difficulty of the game fear that adding an Easy mode would ruin the game.
  • Players who see something that interests them in the game, but cannot bear the difficulty, wish for an Easy mode.
  • Developers want players to experience something very specific and it's not what players would experience if it were easy.
There are plenty of bad metaphors that come to my mind...

Ferrari saying "Our cars are designed to go fast, so we won't allow anyone to go BELOW the speed limit.".

Someone asking Einstein: "Sir, please make your theory of relativity as simple as the alphabet."

As I said, lots of bad metaphors.

Then there is the unknown...

Would it change anything if it was known that less than 10% of players make it past the first boss?

In the end, if people who pay the bills are OK with the way the game is, then it doesn't matter if it's a game for 5% or 50% of the playing population.

tryDEATH

lol, those game are not difficult. Once you learn the mechanics the game is pretty normal, you can even summon people for carry you the stage.

You can lol as much as you want, but around 50% of people don't ever defeat the very first boss, due to difficulty.

elektrokats

Banned
The WHOLE reason these games are fun and engaging is that they provide a balance of challenge. If you take that away, the game becomes a soulless hack & slash. It's not like there are any quests or side objectives or towers to climb to fill in the gaps or skills to unlock.

You'll literally just blow through every level and then ask yourself at the end "Wow that was it? I don't get what the big fuss is with these games." and that is because you skipped over entirely what makes these games engaging.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

Your enjoyment on the “normal” difficulty setting would not be a tiny bit less if there was an easy mode. People who dislike the idea simply want to maintain their badass gamer cred for beating notoriously difficult games.

Mentat02

Banned
I really hope Sony casualizes Demon's Souls. going to be funny watching casuals say the game sucks because it lacks story, cutscenes and QTE. Also hoping it sours their relationship with Miyazaki if they pull that shit.

laynelane

But does the game put you back like 20 minutes in the level when you die?

The game will send you back to the nearest archstone when you die. There are four per world. One at the point where you spawn in and the other three are formed when you beat the bosses of each of the three levels within a world (there is a single world with four levels/five archstones). So, yes, it is feasible that you will be sent back 20 minutes when you die. It could be less or more time too. This is only assuming the remake keeps true to the original, though.

FukuDaruma

Haha. There it is.

The losers mantra.
"Your achievement is meaningless."

Resorting to name calling. "Soulflake."
Though I will give you that one. Pretty funny.

Just saying I think it's pretty telling that you run straight to denigrating people who feel that these games are all the better for not having the option to just skip through the challenging parts of the game.

I could see your point if 50% of games were like this.
That would be a bit shitty because it means the available games on the market are largely only appealing to a very narrow audience.
I am in favor of having all kinds of games available to appeal to all different kinds of people.

So let's say you are correct here. Let's say that you have a small portion of the gaming public that wants a game that is quite challenging and also that doesn't offer an easy way around that challenge. Let's say they also build a community around those specific games and they enjoy themselves within that community. You might think that's pathetic or whatever just the same as they might think people who need to change the game to easy so they can boast about completing it are pathetic.

Is there any reason why there shouldn't be a handful of games specifically made for that specific audience?

I mean, how many AAA games have been released this gen? Hundreds?
So with all those games to choose from it's STILL unacceptable to have a small handful of games that appeal to a certain audience?
Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2 Re-release, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, Dark Souls Reamstered. FIVE games.
They can't even have that?

No. We need to bitch and moan and prattle on about people being pathetic and how lame they are for thinking that beating a game is an "achievement" and how horrible it is that they laugh and say "get good". Really? They can't even have a handful of games like that?

I think if we are being honest here the problem is that this last gen social media and streaming has REALLY come into play and now instead of having a small online community sharing tips and tricks and experiences you have this explosion of popularity. People want to be seen engaging with the popular thing but this difficulty problem leaves them feeling like they are on the outside looking it.

Then, somewhat emblematic of the times we live in, the solution is to try and destroy it.
Put an easy mode in their games that'll show 'em!
Shame them! Call them sad and pathetic!
Let's see them do "gate keeping" when every one can complete the game?
"Git Gud?" No thanks. I'll just switch to Easy Mode.
Enjoy your community now, losers!

We've had a shit year but at least in gaming it's been filled with awesome gaming news, announcements and releases.
Concluding with the launch of amazing new consoles that will offer amazing new games.
Game, after game, after game is announced and yet...
"This ONE game better have a fucking easy mode!"

All this for what? Because "Soulflakes" are off doing their own thing with the one launch game that is aimed at them?
You can't just leave that be? Let them have their game and their philosophy and just get on with enjoying whatever it is that you enjoy?

Nope. Gotta tear it down!
There's a single launch game that isn't exactly what I want it to be! Change it!

There are obviously conflicting worldviews here.
Some want a game that offers X.
Others want a game that offers Y.
Are we saying that there isn't scope here to have games that appeal to both sides?
Plenty of games have easy modes. Go play them. Lots of those around.
You want a game with no difficulty options? Very few of those around so your choices are limited to a few games only.

"Reeeeeeeeeeeee those games need to have difficulty options too!"

The real loser mentality is thinking you are competing with others in a non-competitive videogame (regarding the single player). It is simply pathetic to need bragging rights in order to be able to enjoy the game.

Me wanting to enjoy the games Art without the shitty youtube/twitch quality and focusing on what I want to see instead of passively swallow what a streamer is doing is a perfectly valid reason for the games to allow an easier experience. Others simply acknowledging their lack of skills, time, patience, ... are too.

Your comparisions to real sport competitions are utterly absurd. These are not even e-sport titles ffs.

And to be honest, this is just an ideological discussion. It's not about me personally. As I stated before, in practice I have all the custom "easy" modes I want at any time with cheats and trainers, but other people that want an easier experience maybe don't, specially on consoles.

And there it is, the typical straw man fallacy of the people that can't make an honest defense of their dishonest arguments. "Denigrating people"... says the guy that started calling others "losers". 🤦‍♂️
Nobody is asking "to just skip the challenging parts of the game". As I very clearly stated before, there's a thousand kilometers of middle ground between "frustratingly difficult" and "smash R1 at first try to kill boss". But you have to constantly use this false dilemma fallacy because otherwise your point is clearly shown as ridiculous as it really is.

The important point here keeps being: "Easy", "Normal", "Hard", "Very Hard", "Ultra Hard", "Nightmare", "Lord Satan's Up Your Ass Impossible"... difficulty options wouldn't subtract anything from the people that are already enjoying the difficulty level of these games. If anything, it could even benefit them too, adding even harder difficulty options.

The real problem is that, in order for you to enjoy the game and feel "accomplishment", you need for others to be unable to enjoy the game with a different level of difficulty, even when that doesn't affect your experience or your bragging rights at all. You can still brag about being an "accomplished winner" for beating the game on the hardest difficulty, over others that can't or prefer to play it easier.
The problem for you is those others doesn't care or need you to enjoy their experiences, but you need them to fulfill your fantasy of feeling superior. And you still have the nerve of calling that "They want to destroy my game, my experience and are tearing me down!" 👏👏👏

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The game will send you back to the nearest archstone when you die. There are four per world. One at the point where you spawn in and the other three are formed when you beat the bosses of each of the three levels within a world (there is a single world with four levels/five archstones). So, yes, it is feasible that you will be sent back 20 minutes when you die. It could be less or more time too. This is only assuming the remake keeps true to the original, though.

Lets hope it doesn't then.

elektrokats

Banned
Your enjoyment on the “normal” difficulty setting would not be a tiny bit less if there was an easy mode. People who dislike the idea simply want to maintain their badass gamer cred for beating notoriously difficult games.
These games are not even difficult. A lot of folks seriously overexaggerate the difficulty of these games. You basically just need to learn how to press Circle (dodge) right as the enemy goes into an attack. The invincibility window is HUGE on these games and very generous. It just takes a bit of time to get the rhythm down but once you got it down, it's smooth sailing from there. You can practically be pushed into a corner, rolling/dodging into it and still not take any damage until the roll/dodge animations ends. It's pretty much an 1 second invincibility button that you must time properly but can also spam like 5-10 times in a row.

Your enjoyment of these games would be non-existent if you added difficulty settings. You would find them bland and boring. Like, the whole point of every area in the game is to clear it, collect the items and then fight the boss at the end. There's no skill tree or unique attacks to unlock. It's going to be the same R1 attack through the entire game. That is going to be some pretty bland ass gameplay if there's no threat of fear of dying through any of it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

The real loser mentality is thinking you are competing with others in a non-competitive videogame (regarding the single player). It is simply pathetic to need bragging rights in order to be able to enjoy the game.

The problem for you is those others doesn't care or need you to enjoy their experiences, but you need them to fulfill your fantasy of feeling superior. And you still have the nerve of calling that "They want to destroy my game, my experience and are tearing me down!" 👏👏👏

You seem obsessed with this notion that Souls players only like the games to be hard so they can brag about beating it.

This is not true at all. Sure, there’s a sense of accomplishment there when you overcome a hard boss, but I’ve never wanted to brag to anyone about it because it’s just a fucking video game.

Who are you hanging out with? Coz they sound like right cunts, if they’re rubbing your nose in how good they are at a game you’re not as good at.

However, central point stands: remove the difficulty and you ruin what the Souls games are. They are masterpieces of game art because they use difficulty in such an effective way. Give them an easy mode and you spoil their uniqueness.

Trust me, if you played a Souls game on easy, you’d hate it. Everyone would. It would be fucking dull as hell. Just go play one through properly, and you’ll see the same thing.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really hope Sony casualizes Demon's Souls. going to be funny watching casuals say the game sucks because it lacks story, cutscenes and QTE. Also hoping it sours their relationship with Miyazaki if they pull that shit.
I said this before in my last post, Demon's Souls and most Souls series don't have flashy combat like DMC or Bayonetta. The difficulty of these games comes from the fact you have limited mobility and enemy/boss will hit you hard. If you play these games on easy, what you really get is slow ass combat and movement.

Like it or not the difficulty is part of DNA of Souls series, it why the combat design this way, enemy/boos design, the death system and how you progress.

MH3M3D

These games are not even difficult. A lot of folks seriously overexaggerate the difficulty of these games. You basically just need to learn how to press Circle (dodge) right as the enemy goes into an attack. The invincibility window is HUGE on these games and very generous. It just takes a bit of time to get the rhythm down but once you got it down, it's smooth sailing from there. You can practically be pushed into a corner, rolling/dodging into it and still not take any damage until the roll/dodge animations ends. It's pretty much an 1 second invincibility button that you must time properly but can also spam like 5-10 times in a row.

Your enjoyment of these games would be non-existent if you added difficulty settings. You would find them bland and boring. Like, the whole point of every area in the game is to clear it, collect the items and then fight the boss at the end. There's no skill tree or unique attacks to unlock. It's going to be the same R1 attack through the entire game. That is going to be some pretty bland ass gameplay if there's no threat of fear of dying through any of it.

Lets say you're right about the circle button. Not everyone can push the circle button at the right time. You can have a 1 hit death difficulty setting for the bad-asses amongst us and an easy mode for the noobs that don't have any rhythm. My point is, what impact does another gamer's difficulty choice affect your own enjoyment?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
what impact does another gamer's difficulty choice affect your own enjoyment?
Platinum Games have multiple difficulty because the combat is flashy and your average person can still make "cool" things happen without fully understand the system. Souls series are not like that, the combat system is not complex and slow and you movement is limited because they are design around that difficulty. In order to have easy mode, FROM needs change the entire combat system so the average person can still have fun and not be bored by slow combat and movement. Basically Souls series loses it identify.

This basically what happened to Dead Rising series, after the first game they try make the game have more mass appeal by taking out system that made DR unique in the first place and eventually what we got was the 4th game, it was just your typical western open world game with Zombies.

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

You seem obsessed with this notion that Souls players only like the games to be hard so they can brag about beating it.

This is not true at all. Sure, there’s a sense of accomplishment there when you overcome a hard boss, but I’ve never wanted to brag to anyone about it because it’s just a fucking video game.

Who are you hanging out with? Coz they sound like right cunts, if they’re rubbing your nose in how good they are at a game you’re not as good at.

However, central point stands: remove the difficulty and you ruin what the Souls games are. They are masterpieces of game art because they use difficulty in such an effective way. Give them an easy mode and you spoil their uniqueness.

Trust me, if you played a Souls game on easy, you’d hate it. Everyone would. It would be fucking dull as hell. Just go play one through properly, and you’ll see the same thing.

Far from obsessed with anything souls related, unlike others. :messenger_grinning_smiling:
That is not what I'm saying, what I'm saying is that passionate soulsborne fans ("soulflakes" was just a joke) doesn't want an easier experience for others so they can brag about belonging to an exclusive elite. It's the square and obtuse mentality of "You should only be allowed to play this only in THIS(MY) way, and only for THIS(MY) reasons. If so, welcome to the club. If not, fuck you, I don't care about your reasons or what you want from the game."

I don't hang out with right cunts, gamers or otherwise, at all. This is what I see on forums, streamers, discords, ... they're not "my pals".

Again: "remove the difficulty" is a false dilemma. You are assuming everybody has the same ability/possibility of "gittin gud" as you do. Or worse, if they don't, then they don't "deserve" to play the game. Making the game easier can equal your experience to others that have more difficulty with it than you do.
¿What about making the game a TINY LITTLE BIT easier for people that have worse vision, eye-to-hand time reaction, or any of the other skills needed to play the game? that is not "remove the difficulty"... that is not "smash R1 to kill boss at first try"... those are false dilemmas.

Again... this is not about me. I just finished Mortal Shell and are playing a New Game + without any problem, no cheats or trainers needed. On other occasions, take for example Dark Souls 3, I was enjoying the game until some parts got too much frustrating and repetitive for my patience, so I made them easier or skipped them and went on to enjoy the rest of the game, the Art, the sounds, the music, the immersion (specially in stereoscopic 3D). I'm not an adrenaline junkie to need the "adrenaline shot" of beating a frustratingly difficult boss. I know the feeling, and for my taste it's overrated. But... happy that you (the ones that like it and play for it) can enjoy it all that you want. Just don't be so square and let other people enjoy their games their own way, for their own reasons.

Mods change the "way the games were intended to play", are mods a bad thing too?

And as stated, this is not even about the devs intentions, because if they do put several difficulty options in the end, then it was their intention. It's just that some people doesn't want them to, regardless of their intentions.

Senua

Gold Member
I think it's nice to at least have one big AAA series that's actually difficult like the good old days.

elektrokats

Banned
Lets say you're right about the circle button. Not everyone can push the circle button at the right time. You can have a 1 hit death difficulty setting for the bad-asses amongst us and an easy mode for the noobs that don't have any rhythm. My point is, what impact does another gamer's difficulty choice affect your own enjoyment?
Another misconception is that these games are 1 hit kill or instant death type genres. They are absolutely not. Most enemies can gank you in like 2-3 hits but so can you back at them. Anything that 1 shots you is probably going to be a trap that be avoided or anticipated on your next run.

Plus by the end of the game, you should have your health upgraded enough to where you can take a full 5-6 hits from even the toughest enemies and dodge/roll almost infinitely.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
It doesn't bother me personally that people want this, retarded as it is to want to feel like you've experienced a notoriously hard game by gimping it. They shouldn't add one imo, but if they do it should absolutely do the old school thing of only letting you see 2/3rd of the game and giving you a shittier ending, and/or making you wear ridiculous clothing or items for shame, maybe add childish sound effects into the mix.

FunkMiller

And as stated, this is not even about the devs intentions, because if they do put several difficulty options in the end, then it was their intention. It's just that some people doesn't want them to, regardless of their intentions.

Okay, so let’s agree that the games should be designed the way the developers intended, and people who dont like that can go and play something else. If the game has an easy mode, then we shouldn’t complain, and if it doesn’t, you shouldn’t.

Saber

Gold Member
Lets say you're right about the circle button. Not everyone can push the circle button at the right time.

Do you want the game to type IDDQD so your character enters a god mode as well?
Or a mode where the game plays for you?

Top Bottom