• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deck Nine Games: Today we made the difficult decision to lay off 20% of our staff

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
PlZXWhb.jpg

ByyKupv.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Damn, it just doesn’t stop.
When it comes to layoffs, the best time for any company to do them is when everyone else is so you blend in and can blame it on an industry wave.

During the global crisis in 2008, my bro who was head of finance overseas laughed when he saw all the companies laying off people. Even in his own industry. Companies were doing fine. But if a company does a big lay off and is the only one doing it, all eyeballs are on it. When you announce a lay off to cut costs with everyone else, you blend in and people forget about it. So when some companies truly needed to, that makes sense. But then everyone joined in. My company I worked at did some layoffs too, cut travel that year and our annual off site pow wow meeting got gimped to be at a local hotel. Our sales and profit were solid. But we joined in too.

Layoffs are one part cost cutting (survival), one part simply improving the bottom line (make a great thing greater), and one part PR strategy when to it so you get as few people writing about it.

The last thing any company doing layoffs wants is being the guy who is the only one doing it all month.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Do we know how much is that in raw numbers?
50-200 total employees from their LinkedIn.

So anywhere from 10 to 40.
Not the first time they laid off people. They also did 30 jobs in May 2023.

As for currently employees before lay off, IGN has this.

Deck Nine didn't specify how many people that 20% equates to, but IGN understands that the studio employed roughly between 100 and 130 staffers prior to today's layoffs.

Online data scraping kinds of sites arent always accurate, but this site says 127.

Before the Storm is an all timer. Would rather have them around than another boring 2d metroidvania souls game any day of the week, any month of the year.

Are there no studios that hired and maintain exactly the number of people they need for their next project? Who is still left recently without such a statement?

What nonsense is this, firing people left and right because others do it too.

Either I need the manpower or I don't. If they don't need them, why did they overhire in the first place? And if they actually do, firing anyone will just delay the release of your next game and or burn out more people on the way if the goalposts won't be moved.

Much more reasonably would be to cut back at feature creep. Cut some fat from the game, no one actually needs anyway.

Top Bottom