• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deathloop thoughts?

tylrdiablos

I got through about 80% of it and uninstalled it. (PC version.)
It was boring, the AI was embarrassingly bad and, whilst the voice acting was good, the dialogue was awful.
I also thought the visuals looked a bit off... like the textures were bland or washed out or something, even on High/Ultra settings. (I noticed the same problem in Dishonored.)

6/10... tops.

Last edited:
I think it's OK but not more. Mediocre and gets kind of repetetive as a whole, feels kind of unpolished. Some good ideas though but for me it didn't really hold up very well.

Stealth and sneaking wasn't handled too well I think. Crappy AI. Very, very dated graphics. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Prey is possibly my favourite game ever so it's hard to be objective. Mooncrash is the same outstanding level design and immersive sim goodness but with roguelike time-loop twist.

I enjoyed it less compared to the main game simply because I like to take things slow and explore but in Mooncrash you have a corruption timer so you need to move fast. If you on PC, you can disable it with mods.
I was going to get Mooncrash, but like you I like to take my time and not be rushed. I think that I won't bother now

KillaJamm

It’s so good, I did a play through a month or so ago. I miss those Out of this World / Flashback games, and people talk about those but no one ever brings up HoD and it’s awesome.
Yeah I played through again fairly recently and first thing I noticed was how hard it was. I still loved the animation work the most though, it blew my mind as a kid the seamless transitions when you died like falling off a cliff, you've made me think its time for another play through I think haha

Lognor

Banned
I expect it to be announced on the 12th.
If they include it in the presentation they better announce some new dlc or something. Or else they're talking about a game that released last year on other platforms. One of their own games too!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If they include it in the presentation they better announce some new dlc or something. Or else they're talking about a game that released last year on other platforms. One of their own games too!
I'm guessing some sort of definitive edition.

tommib

Top 3 next gen games. That include deathloop returnal and elden ring
Cat Fist Bump GIF by WorldofTanks

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
It's too complex for me. I played like 3 hours, and I barely understood it's mechanics(trinkets, upgrades, slabs... Who to kill? When to kill? What is infusion? Why am I here? Why am I killing these people? Why they are trying to kill me? etc). If you think about it as a Dishonered game, it plays very nicely(besides dumb AI, uninteresting guns, subpar gunplay). But as a rogue-lite/loop based game, I think it sucks. Now I understand why a lot of people didn't like it as reviewers did. Reviewers probably put a lot of time to understand it, because that is their job, but regular players had a hard time keeping up after such a messy introduction.

I had connection problems while invading too, it was a worse experience than I expected. Probably never do that again.

I'm thinking of dedicating a certain amount of time to the game, I liked it overall. Although I enjoy rogue-lite and soulslike games, I wish this was a linear game like Dishonered.

R6Rider

Gold Member
It's too complex for me. I played like 3 hours, and I barely understood it's mechanics(trinkets, upgrades, slabs... Who to kill? When to kill? What is infusion? Why am I here? Why am I killing these people? Why they are trying to kill me? etc). If you think about it as a Dishonered game, it plays very nicely(besides dumb AI, uninteresting guns, subpar gunplay). But as a rogue-lite/loop based game, I think it sucks. Now I understand why a lot of people didn't like it as reviewers did. Reviewers probably put a lot of time to understand it, because that is their job, but regular players had a hard time keeping up after such a messy introduction.

I had connection problems while invading too, it was a worse experience than I expected. Probably never do that again.

I'm thinking of dedicating a certain amount of time to the game, I liked it overall. Although I enjoy rogue-lite and soulslike games, I wish this was a linear game like Dishonered.
The only people you are trying to kill are the main targets (Visionaries I think they are called). You can kill them whenever, but eventually you'll learn how to kill them all in one loop. You are killing them to stop the loop. They are trying to kill you because they don't want you to stop the loop. Killing visionaries gives you new slabs (powers) and upgrades towards them (if you obtain the same slab again). You can also get slabs from killing an invader. All of the gear can be obtained multiple times, or basically can't be lost. It's not completely random and you'll eventually see everything in terms of trinkets and weapon variations.

An infusion is basically acquiring that weapon so it won't be lost on further loops. If you infuse a weapon or trinket then when the day ends, it doesn't disappear. You use residuum as the currency.
-
Basically you are doing runs with different objectives such as figuring out puzzles, kill conditions/opportunities, etc. as well as obtaining more powers and trinkets to help you along the way.

The first few hours takes a bit to get the hang of it, but then you learn to do runs however you want and choosing to end a loop early if necessary. Failing a loop doesn't really matter outside of losing stuff you haven't infused.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The only people you are trying to kill are the main targets (Visionaries I think they are called). You can kill them whenever, but eventually you'll learn how to kill them all in one loop. You are killing them to stop the loop. They are trying to kill you because they don't want you to stop the loop. Killing visionaries give you new slabs (powers) and upgrades towards them (if you obtain the same slab again). You can also get slabs from killing an invader. All of the gear can be obtained multiple times, or basically can't be lost. It's not completely random and you'll eventually see everything in terms of trinkets and weapon variations.

An infusion is basically acquiring that weapon so it won't be lost on further loops. If you infuse a weapon or trinket then when he day ends, it doesn't disappear. You use residuum as the currency.
-
Basically you are doing runs with different objectives such as figuring out puzzles, kill conditions/opportunities, etc. as well as obtaining more powers and trinkets to help you along the way.

The first few hours takes a bit to get the hang of it, but then you learn to do runs however you want and choosing to end a loop early if necessary. Failing a loop doesn't really matter outside of losing stuff you haven't infused.
I actually learned a lot of what you said, but it took me a long time, and I didn't quite get it all. I hope after all this trouble I will find out why there is a loop:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Jimmy_liv

I got through about 80% of it and uninstalled it. (PC version.)
It was boring, the AI was embarrassingly bad and, whilst the voice acting was good, the dialogue was awful.
I also thought the visuals looked a bit off... like the textures were bland or washed out or something, even on High/Ultra settings. (I noticed the same problem in Dishonored.)

6/10... tops.
I'm about here with it. Although I'd give it 7/10.

The other thing was the whole day/night system and selecting the level you'd u wanted confused the hell out of me.

jaysius

Banned
The dumbest AI I've seen in a game in the last 10 years, makes the game a shooting gallery simple. A story that is meh but if you take all the time to time shift and find all the extras that story is ok, they should have let everyone have both stories, there was so little being told at any time.

The time shifting was just a shitty gimmick that didn't respect the players time.

6/10 at best and that's being generous.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I’m really considering dropping this game.

The gunplay is not good for a “first person shooter”. I understand it can be played a number of ways but I am just not finding it very fun.

I dig the art style and the aesthetic and the characters are really interesting but I just can’t get past the gameplay and how quickly you get wasted when you get spotted by the eternalists.

I really want to like the game and I understand you’re not supposed to blitz through it but how this game got a 10/10 is beyond me.

calistan

I played over 20 hours, really enjoyed it but I couldn't finish it because of one shitty level. Everything was great until the bit where you have to get to the visionary in the power plant. I tried that so many times, it takes ages to get there, and it's the only part of the game I found where you're forced to use stealth. If they see you just once, that's it. End of loop.

wipeout364

A great game and arguably Arkane’s worst one ,

which gives you an idea as to why they are held in such high regard.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Redfall. I thought Deathloop looked bad and it was fantastic, hoping it’s the same with Redfall.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Great and unique concept, beautiful art, good voice acting, never finished it.

I remember reaching a point where I didn't know what to do next and kept repeating the day without making much progress. Building up my gear was probably my main motivation to keep playing but eventually even that got boring once I geared up enough to completely mop the floor with brain-dead AI. So with the combat becoming more of a nuisance and less of a challenge, I lost any motivation to complete the story because I just kinda didn't care about any of the characters or the story.

But like I said, the way the gameplay loop is constructed is pretty ingenious and I loved how innovative it felt at first. I just wish the rest of the game was more engaging.

I intend to give it a second try at some point, maybe I just wasn't feeling it the first time around. I remember disliking Dishonored at first too but then I gave it another shot later on and absolutely loved it.

Matt_Fox

Just picked the game up on sale for $25 on Amazon a few days ago. I have only played it a few hours and still really don't know what to think of it. It's like a sci-fi version of groundhogs day. Graphics kinda remind me of a supped up version of borderlands. It's critically acclaimed but rarely gets talked about.

Played it for 3-4 hours like yourself, then bounced off it although I got it through PS+ so didnt pay directly for it.

Other more addictive games came along and stole me away, I may return to Deathloop one day (or I may not... ).

Fbh

I dropped it.
Found it fun at first but every mechanic just grew annoying and repetitive.

Slowly building up an arsenal of weapons and powers was fun at first but after a short while I already had weapons strong enough to trivialize most combat encounters (the terrible AI didn't help).
The PVP was a fun idea at first but quickly got annoying as I just wanted to progress the story and not constantly have to spend 15-20 minutes on some cat and mouse PVP encounter (going offline helps offset this)
The idea with the various locations and time of day was fun at first but eventually it felt I was no longer exploring but rather just being sent from one place to the other to fill time: go here to get a code, come back here at another time to listen to a short recording, go there to interact with 1 item, etc

Last edited:
Enjoyed it.

A bit too hand holdy perhaps.

You are mostly following a marker till you get all the clues.

That makes it 3rd best Arkane game for me.

Still well worth a playthrough.

Deathloop had a good idea, but it's execution was extremely flawed. It pales in comparison to Arkane's prior games, the Dishonored series and Prey (2017), and you should play those games first.

The "kill all the Visionaries in one loop" is a bit of a fraud. The marketing made it seem like you would find a way on your own, but there's no actual variability or creativity in doing so. There's literally only one way to execute the "Golden Loop" as the game calls it, which means you're just following the quest markers, while the game holds your hand and over explains everything, which made it extremely boring to play. But at the same time, without the quest markers and the game over explaining everything, the one single solution to the game would probably have been too confusing to complete. In contrast, in Arkane's prior games, they're like, "Here's a giant open level. Your target is so-and-so. Have fun getting to him!"

Gamespot posted an interesting interview with Dana Nightingale, one of the leads on Deathloop, on their Youtube channel about the struggles Arkane had developing it. It seems that, there was going to be absolutely zero hand-holding at first and it totally baffled game testers over and over, leading to all the excessive hand-holding that's in game as released. I really feel like Dana learned the wrong thing from those testers. In her mind, it was like "Well, if players can't infer or understand the one single solution that I devised myself, then I need to tell them how to solve it," when she really should have learned that the game needed multiple solutions.

It just seems to me that in a game about time travel, there should be flexibility in solving a problem, rather than strict rigidity. Allowing players to come up with their own ways to assassinate every Visionary would lead to and encourage divergent playstyles, speed-running, low percentage runs, sequence breaking, and other forms of player expression, which all of Arkane's prior games encouraged. Deathloop as it is, is just "get a Strelak shotgun to mow down all the brain-dead enemies and then follow the dots on your radar to the Visionaries who are likewise brain-dead, but have slightly more health points."

I legit don't understand how it got so many perfect scores, particularly when compared to (a) other loop games, (b) other immersive sim games, and (c) other Arkane games.

I've had nothing but fun with this game. Mind you I disable markers and I'm not using a guide so I'm figuring things out organically. AI is pretty derpy but they only exist to mess up certain things for you from going smoothly. It's too bad the visionaries are also just as dumb.

People really should stop using quest markers when they are optional, they exist for journalists and brainlets. The game is a lot more fun when you don't know where you're supposed to go and use the clues you've heard or picked up. Figuring out something like the automaton puzzle in Karl's bay is much more rewarding when you don't just follow a guide.

Gamespot posted an interesting interview with Dana Nightingale, one of the leads on Deathloop, on their Youtube channel about the struggles Arkane had developing it. It seems that, there was going to be absolutely zero hand-holding at first and it totally baffled game testers over and over, leading to all the excessive hand-holding that's in game as released. I really feel like Dana learned the wrong thing from those testers. In her mind, it was like "Well, if players can't infer or understand the one single solution that I devised myself, then I need to tell them how to solve it," when she really should have learned that the game needed multiple solutions.

I blame it's exclusivity deal for hand holdy nature.

Game was very un characteristic for Arkane.

That company only makes hand holdy games.

GymWolf

Worst arkane game since dark messiah.

Still an 7-7,5 if you love arkane style and their top tier level design.

Top Bottom