• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"DEATHLOOP" |OT| Down the rabbit hole, everyone's a winner

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In Deathloop there are seemingly infinite ways to assassinate your targets, The Visionaries. Here are 8 different methods you could use to kill Harriet, who holds the Nexus Slab at Karl's Bay in the Morning. Deathloop releases on Playstation 5 and PC on September 14th.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
so did I see it right the weapons are color coded like in loot games,example borderlands?
Yes, but it's not as random and loot heavy as looter shooters or Diablo.

You have gray (base), blue, purple, and yellow (there might be more) and each better version has better sights, weapon skins, trinket slots, etc. It's more along the lines of guns in Fortnite or Apex Legends. Trinkets (basically perks) are also color coded by quality.

Last edited:
Heads-up regarding infusions and keeping your unlocks. I infused the Nexus slab, cool. Next mission I kill an invading Julia (smoked this mf lol) and get the Havoc slab, now I've got 2. I then kill a visionary and get the Shift slab but you can only hold 2. I leave my infused Nexus slab behind assuming it will always be available in my loadout, *wrong*, it's gone. So, once I get the Nexus slab again it needs to be infused *again*? Perhaps permanent slab unlocks will happen with story progression, just be mindful of what you're spending that residium on, absolutely loving the game.

EDIT: or maybe you've got to finish a loop with the infused slab and *then* it becomes permanent, will know more soon.

Last edited:
Yes, but it's not as random and loot heavy as looter shooters or Diablo.

You have gray (base), blue, purple, and yellow (there might be more) and each better version has better sights, weapon skins, trinket slots, etc. It's more along the lines of guns in Fortnite or Apex Legends. Trinkets (basically perks) are also color coded by quality.
Cool thanks .

balt1kr1s

Heads-up regarding infusions and keeping your unlocks. I infused the Nexus slab, cool. Next mission I kill an invading Julia (smoked this mf lol) and get the Havoc slab, now I've got 2. I then kill a visionary and get the Shift slab but you can only hold 2. I leave my infused Nexus slab behind assuming it will always be available in my loadout, *wrong*, it's gone. So, once I get the Nexus slab again it needs to be infused *again*? Perhaps permanent slab unlocks will happen with story progression, just be mindful of what you're spending that residium on, absolutely loving the game.

EDIT: or maybe you've got to finish a loop with the infused slab and *then* it becomes permanent, will know more soon.
Yes, correct, it will be with you forever once loop is done.

Loving everything except how the game is designed. I’m just not a fan of these “run” games no matter how many I try. I wish it was just a traditional campaign with a regular save system, same with returnal.

Ogbert

Anyone else think the frame pacing is really off on PS5?

Trying not to be a weenie about it, but it’s really off putting.

GymWolf

I know people is not gonna believe me, but the devs literally said that they made the ia dumber because they don't want very capable enemies ruining your loop too frequently, the challenge is solving the puzzle, not the enemies.
I guess that for less patient gamers, having you 4 hours perfect loop getting ruined by super skilled enemies would be annoying, not sure if this is a good move for hardcore gamers, but since most players usially choose normal because they want zero challenge in their games, maybe it is a move to embracs a more casual audience...

I tend to believe him since nobody in videogame history ever said "we are doing a dumb ia on purpose" and because dishonored games on max difficulty have enemies that see\hear you even if you have a cm of skin outside the cover, so they know how to make enemies with super senses, so the dumb ia is a balance thing in deathloop.

Now, we can discuss if their balancing is shit or if the game is too easy with dumb enemies, but it is absolutely on purpose.

P.s. another thing official from the devs mouth is that enemy get harder the more you play, i think they called it dynamic ia or some shit, so basically if you play well, enemies gets harder.

I personally prefer Choosing between normal, hard etc. tbh.

I know shitty ai is a plague, but the majority of 95+ on mc games have braindead ai, from botw to rdr2 to most of the others.
I can make a compilation where enemies in these games looks completely retarded.

Last edited:

Ogbert

I know people is not gonna believe me, but the devs literally said that they made the ia dumber because they don't want very capable enemies ruining your loop, the challenge is solving the puzzle, not the enemies.

I tend to believe him since nobody in videogame history never said "we are doing a dumb ia on purpose" and because dishonored games on max difficulty have enemies that see\hear you even if you have a cm of skin outside the cover, so they know how to make enemies with super senses, so the dumb ia is a balance thing in deathloop.

Now, we can discuss if their balancing is shit or if the game is too easy with dumb enemies, but it is absolutely on purpose.
Yep.

They are clearly telling you how they want you to approach the game. It’s not an FPS (the lock on is ridiculous). It’s not even a stealth game. It’s a power fantasy where you get to manipulate things and have fun. They want you to explore and find stuff. The island is the game.

balt1kr1s

I know people is not gonna believe me, but the devs literally said that they made the ia dumber because they don't want very capable enemies ruining your loop, the challenge is solving the puzzle, not the enemies.

I tend to believe him since nobody in videogame history never said "we are doing a dumb ia on purpose" and because dishonored games on max difficulty have enemies that see\hear you even if you have a cm of skin outside the cover, so they know how to make enemies with super senses, so the dumb ia is a balance thing in deathloop.

It's actually the thing that I can agree with as well.
It's also explained the way that, apart from Julianna and Visionaires, all those random enemies in the game are nothing more than drunk/drugged rich idiots who have no idea how to handle weapon.
This is why you can hear them saying something like when they see you:
"It's him! Should I hide?"
"So who we are actually looking for?" etc etc
Quite clever design tbf, which I always liked about Arkane.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's actually the thing that I can agree with as well.
It's also explained the way that, apart from Julianna and Visionaires, all those random enemies in the game are nothing more than drunk/drugged rich idiots who have no idea how to handle weapon.
This is why you can hear them saying something like when they see you:
"It's him! Should I hide?"
"So who we are actually looking for?" etc etc
Quite clever design tbf, which I always liked about Arkane.
Yeah i know that, but for hardcore gamers who always played arkane games on max difficulty, this sound like a step back.

My enjoyment get hit pretty bad if a game becomes a complete cakewalk.

Not at that point yet (only 3 hours in) but i can see becoming pretty op pretty fast, but i can be wrong.

I would love an hard mode tbh.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yep.

They are clearly telling you how they want you to approach the game. It’s not an FPS (the lock on is ridiculous). It’s not even a stealth game. It’s a power fantasy where you get to manipulate things and have fun. They want you to explore and find stuff. The island is the game.
You can disable the lock on.

Put sensibility around 55 and put the controls on filtrate instead of direct, i'm having zero problems aiming.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
So you need to infuse a power or weapon only once to keep it permanently? When do you have to "reinfuse" something to not lose it?

I don't understand how it works.

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

You get all your infused items back when you restart the loop.

14 hours in now. The AI is still mostly dumb when they're unaware of your presence, but when they're in "Caution" mode (especially on the last day after killing 5 visionaries)... shit gets pretty hectic. That's when they start to show their Dishonored-quality AI lol

But yeah, I'm getting some pretty sweet purple-quality drops now. I'm still using my silenced SMG since it's completely OP (who needs the nailgun when you have this?) and now I have a Cloak upgrade that stops my mana drain if I'm motionless, so I'm remaining undetected for 95% of my runs now.

Edit: I also found an exotic Sniper Rifle, but again the silenced SMG actually does sniping just fine with range trinkets lmao

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Quick first impressions: this game has a very cool vibe. Really dig the VA. Surprised at how quickly you can die. Looking forward to playing more!
The game becomes much easier when you rely on stealth. I'm not talking about necessarily being 100% stealthy, but enough to surprise enemies or maybe hack a nearby turret. Shift + Aether is a godlike combo.

It's easy to die in direct combat, but at least you have the power giving you 2 extra lives for each district.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Me and a friend who invaded me both had the shift ability so we were basically teleporting around trying to kill each other through the streets and into buildings.

Infused my first slab (Shift) and a few weapons so far. I also found a trivia machine.

Loving the invasions. Last game I got invaded, I have the Aether upgrade that doesn't use power if standing still. I get up on a shipping container, invisible, watching and waiting, purple tier sniper with explosive rounds, trinkets that make headshots easier and improve accuracy. I see Julianna in the distance, she doesn't see me. I take aim but she's moving too much, headshot misses. She now knows my position, moves to higher ground, I stay right where I am, Aether active, knowing they will only be able to see a shimmer, can't get a bead on me. Invader is circling at the top of the cliff, taking wild pot shots, I miss a couple of head shots myself, 3rd ones the charm, OHK, so satisfying 😆.

GymWolf

Guys if you find something new, just drop the old thing and if it's infused you are not gonna lose it.

But, if you sacrifice that thing to get residuum, you lose it forever, so never sacrifice stuff that you care about because you lose it forever even if it is infused, just drop it.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Thoughts on the PVP? Anything worth playing?
PVP is the best part about the game for me (at least so far and playing with a few friends). It's exciting most of the times and straight up intense if you're down to the last life, have your target killed, and are trying to escape.

It changes up the pace of the game in multiple ways too. Sometimes you're going rambo style and then Juliana invades and you have to pay attention, maybe hide, or change your tactic. Other times you're being sneaky and slow, but now you need to complete your object ASAP to maybe bait them away from the antenna so you can escape. If you die and have some lives left you can either work towards your objective or try to recover the residuum that you lost.

It's also hilarious at times because the Colt or Julianna player can fall off the map or into the freezing water. I like setting traps for Julianna by placing turrets around corridors and baiting them close. As Julianna I like blending in as a NPC and surprising the Colt player.

It's super addicting and rewarding at the same time. Throw in the decisions on whether or not you want to go for another run to get enough residuum to infuse items or not and it's a fantastic gameplay loop.

I hope ARKANE improves matchmaking times, takes way too long. My huntress is level 6, unlocked an exotic sniper rifle my last match, got the trophy for killing Colt 3 times and did it under a minute, good stuff.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I hope ARKANE improves matchmaking times, takes way too long. My huntress is level 6, unlocked an exotic sniper rifle my last match, got the trophy for killing Colt 3 times and did it under a minute, good stuff.
As ManaByte ManaByte suggested we need a GAF invasion thread or list so we can have people to invade with often. I already have a good amount of friends with the game but would be fine with even more people to invade or be invaded by.

chixdiggit

PVP is the best part about the game for me (at least so far and playing with a few friends). It's exciting most of the times and straight up intense if you're down to the last life, have your target killed, and are trying to escape.

It changes up the pace of the game in multiple ways too. Sometimes you're going rambo style and then Juliana invades and you have to pay attention, maybe hide, or change your tactic. Other times you're being sneaky and slow, but now you need to complete your object ASAP to maybe bait them away from the antenna so you can escape. If you die and have some lives left you can either work towards your objective or try to recover the residuum that you lost.

It's also hilarious at times because the Colt or Julianna player can fall off the map or into the freezing water. I like setting traps for Julianna by placing turrets around corridors and baiting them close. As Julianna I like blending in as a NPC and surprising the Colt player.

It's super addicting and rewarding at the same time. Throw in the decisions on whether or not you want to go for another run to get enough residuum to infuse items or not and it's a fantastic gameplay loop.
That sounds awesome actually. Always looking for multiplayer games that are not the same old thing. Might have to pick this up sooner than later.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Hang on so you can get randoms invading you while your just minding your own business playing your game?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It's optional. Also killing the invader (Juliana) can progress you further by giving you slabs or better guns too.
Cheers mate - but it would be a random person though? Or I could invade my friend while he’s playing without him knowing? And vice versa?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Cheers mate - but it would be a random person though? Or I could invade my friend while he’s playing without him knowing? And vice versa?
You can set it to randoms or friend invasions only. As the invader you can choose to invade random people or pick from your friends.

The game notifies you when Juliana has invaded and you get a new objective that's needed to escape (or you can kill the invader).

Jebron

Sorry, I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but is anyone else having issues with eye strain or fatigue with this game? I don't know what it is, but on PS5 the game feels like the frame rate or vsync implementation is half baked or poorly implemented. The frame pacing is honestly giving me nausea and I can't play for more than 10 minutes. I have no issues with any other games and generally put 20-25 hours a week into other FPS titles like Destiny 2 and CoD.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Sorry, I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but is anyone else having issues with eye strain or fatigue with this game? I don't know what it is, but on PS5 the game feels like the frame rate or vsync implementation is half baked or poorly implemented. The frame pacing is honestly giving me nausea and I can't play for more than 10 minutes. I have no issues with any other games and generally put 20-25 hours a week into other FPS titles like Destiny 2 and CoD.
I've noticed a few graphical issues, but nothing major. I haven't had any eye strain or fatigue like you're describing. I'm playing in performance mode if that matters.
Do i have to sign some bethesda bullshit to play online on ps5?
No. The game logs into Bethesda.net when starting it up, but I didn't have to go through any process.

Top Bottom