• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding - November 8-2019

Hinedorf

Banned
Graphics look top notch and the character designs are cool as hell. It feels more like a cinematic experience than a video game. I get the impression the game play is going to be less appealing than the story which isn't a good thing.

I was thinking that but. Sube the Decima r gone is just tht good to work with. I mean Horizon was rock solid and had alot of things going on. I ne er experienced performance issues even with all tht beauty before me.
Yeah, maybe the decima engine sped up the development a lot quicker than I anticipated. I also remember Kojima saying they used a 'parallel way of developing the game' with one parallel focusing on story, cutscenes and production values and the other parallel focusing on the game aspects of Death Stranding.

Source: https://gamerant.com/death-stranding-development-fast/
Kojima explains that compared to the games industry overall, “normally it would take about 3 to 5 years to develop a game with everything already prepared beforehand: organization, human resources, game system, engine, tools, etc.” However, because the development team prepared all of this in parallel with production on the game, the team is “proceeding smoothly” with its schedule. In fact, even Sony has said “We’ve never seen [someone] making [a game] with a pace as fast as this.”

There were fewer puddles?
EcJ3MfG.gif

Dontero

Banned
Didn't expect it to be this fast, expected it something like next year or even forther than that considering he basically had to build new studio from 0.

I like that Kojima is giving us something original and fresh, it's a bold move in a world full of remasters and remakes. The game looks great and i'm sure it will deliver fun gameplay, MGS style.

Some concerns I have is the story which is probably going to be weird as hell. I'm all for complicated and philosophical as long as it's comprihensible when you really pay attention. Another thing is the connecting part which I suppose will have some online features, I hope it isn't too intrusive in the single player experience.

Other than that it looks really cool. I like how Troy's and Mads (as a soldier atleast) characters are portrayed so far.

Could it possibly be as incomprehensible as Final Fantasy XV?

Elenchus

Banned
Eh...that combat and shooting looked pretty bad. I was mildly interested before but now it’s a hard pass. World looks completely empty. Why not show one of the cities he’s trying to connect? Looks like it’s still wait for TLOF2 news...

Last edited:

GAMETA

Banned
Seems to be a very political story. Hopefully not an affected one, hopefully one with reason and logic instead of stupid propaganda.

Pejo

Gold Member
Let us know when you find an explanation
If I had to pick a word, it'd be "possibility", I guess? It looks like it has more than a handful of gameplay systems involved. Looks like it's very open ended and allows quite a bit of freedom/player choice. Despite the story sucking in MGSV, I played it for over 100 hours just raiding bases and being a shithead in the game world, this looks like it could allow that and occasionally throw in ghost spacemen and stomach babies. I get the feeling that a lot of the game interactions are going to be dynamic too, which could be amazing. Again, this is all just conjecture based on what I saw in the trailer.

So yea, I'll stick with possibility.

nowhat

That music gave me an erection.
It's quite funny - the band started out as a bit of a joke, four classically trained musicians playing Metallica with cellos ("Metallica" -> "Apocalyptica"). Us Finns are a weird bunch, but sometimes the joke carries on further, and here we are. It was still odd hearing them play over the trailer.

My own idea of "Melodica" (playing Metallica covers with a bunch of melodicas) has yet to materialize, but it'll come at some point ;)

Last edited:

juliotendo

I want to like the game because I believe Kojima from Metal Gear Solid 2 to Metal Gear Solid 4 was very very good at creating entertaining experiences.

But after the mediocre Metal Gear Solid 5 and now this nonsense horrific trailer I’m on the fence.

Chances are only niche hardcore gamers will buy this and it will sell poorly. The general public just won’t even understand the nonsense.

I also think the media gives this guy too much credit and blows him hard as some sort of eccentric genius when in reality maybe he’s just a weirdo and as he’s gotten older his bizarre mental state reflects in his work.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He doesn't need Konami's approval to continue Silent hills under a different name

He could have done what Fromsoftware did with Demon's souls 2, they changed the name to Dark souls.

That is not what you originally said.

But anyways, I am okay with this. Looks like a very interesting story/gameplay dynamic to me.

Last Kojima game I dived into and beat was MGS2 when it game out.

Last edited:

mr_kittycat

Seems to be a very political story. Hopefully not an affected one, hopefully one with reason and logic instead of stupid propaganda.

Yea, i get the sense that its going heavy in on political bullshit, leanin more on the stupid side of things

I also think the media gives this guy too much credit and blows him hard as some sort of eccentric genius when in reality maybe he’s just a weirdo and as he’s gotten older his bizarre mental state reflects in his work.

also, possible

Mista

Banned
Here is a message from director Hideo Kojima:
People have created “Walls” and become accustomed to living in isolation.

Death Stranding is a completely new type of action game, where the goal of the player is to reconnect isolated cities and a fragmented society. It is created so that all elements, including the story and gameplay, are bound together by the theme of the “Strand” or connection. As Sam Porter Bridges, you will attempt to bridge the divides in society, and in doing create new bonds or “Strands” with other players around the globe. Through your experience playing the game, I hope you’ll come to understand the true importance of forging connections with others.

Here is an overview of the game, via PlayStation.com:
Tomorrow Is In Your Hands

After the collapse of civilization, Sam Bridges must journey across a ravaged landscape crawling with otherworldly threats to save mankind from the brink of extinction. From legendary game creator Hideo Kojima comes an all-new, genre-defying experience for the PlayStation 4 system.

Starring Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen, Léa Seydoux, and Lindsay Wagner.

A Journey to Reconnect a Fractured Society

In the near future, mysterious explosions have rocked the planet, setting off a series of supernatural events known as the Death Stranding. With spectral creatures plaguing the landscape, and the planet on the verge of a mass extinction, it’s up to Sam Bridges to journey across the ravaged wasteland and save mankind from impending annihilation.

xool

anyone else notice the downgrade visually? excited nonetheless :D

Yeah - the last clip we saw someone walking and falling over into water possibly looked better .. the new footage looked a bit more jaggy, like the anti-aliasing wasn't as good . or something .. too busy to go over it with a fine comb - I'm sure someone else will.

It also seemed to be running about 20fps .. not sure if video analysis backs that up.

I guess we've gone from 1. High-end PC target render to 2. In game-engine PS4Pro

The next step will be optimise and polish, plus mandatory piss filter and chromatic abberation probably /s

CyberPanda

Banned
Yeah - the last clip we saw someone walking and falling over into water possibly looked better .. the new footage looked a bit more jaggy, like the anti-aliasing wasn't as good . or something .. too busy to go over it with a fine comb - I'm sure someone else will.

It also seemed to be running about 20fps .. not sure if video analysis backs that up.

I guess we've gone from 1. High-end PC target render to 2. In game-engine PS4Pro

The next step will be optimise and polish, plus mandatory piss filter and chromatic abberation probably /s
All press footage was shown on PS4 Pro. Saw that over on Reset.

PsyEd

To me seems like USPS Mailman 2099 - The Game than anything stranding. I'm sure it will be another Japanese noodle story from kojima with beautiful gfx and sound. I'll get it but not at launch.

Is it confirmed single player only? I know the PSN listing says 1 player, but with all the "connected" talk I can't tell if it is only story theme related or if there will be some sort of actual connectivity.

Is it confirmed single player only? I know the PSN listing says 1 player, but with all the "connected" talk I can't tell if it is only story theme related or if there will be some sort of actual connectivity.

You wont actually meet anyone else but like in Dark Souls, you can follow traces of other players or leave things for each other.

Ivellios

Like everyone else, i have no idea of what i just watched, but i really liked.

And i was actually glad they showed some action gameplay, like the melee fights and gunfights.

I will buy this game day one, and i rarely do that nowadays.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Weird. That Japanese trailer not only has better footage, but also seems to be encoded way better than the international version.

DavidGzz

Guess I'm a simple man cause Kojima's ideas don't jive with me. Too odd and I like games for great gameplay which this seems to lack, maybe I'll be wrong there.

Top Bottom