• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Has Surpassed 16 Million Players

Terenty

According to the leaked data, the game sold 4,5 million copies across PS4 and 5. It's 250 mil. dollars. Plus, and I'm guessing here, around 1.5 mil on PC.

It was profitable considering the budget for the game was nowhere close to your standard AAA. The game was made in 3 years, with peak head count of ~ 100ppl.

I'd say they made around 150 mil. of profit at least.

Moses85

Donald Trump Whatever GIF by Mashable

Game was ahead of it's time.

It was to early for the Shoot Bang Bang, ADHD, Ritalin injecting, caffeine snorting "Oh know a cutscene I'am gonna cry about it on the internet" crowd.

With time even they will come to love it shooting dudes with guns will eventually get old for everyone and it or its sequel will be here.

mdkirby

Looks like 43% roughly finished the game (based on trophy %). Seems about right. Great world and presentation, but incredibly boring and I personally couldn't force myself to finish it. I even play boring walking/crafting games like Satisfactory, but this game just didn't click with me and about 20 hours in I put it down and uninstalled.
You sure? That actually sounds like a really very high percentage. There are research papers/studies on this. One from 2019 from an analysis of steam single player games found the average percent of players who would complete the main campaign to be 15%. That obviously includes a lot of random games that’ll skew results, but even if you look at aaa console games, the percentages are generally under 30% and rarely over 40%, particularly for larger games. I seem to recall reading that Spider-Man was Sonys highest engagement title getting just over 50% completion. So 45% would be exceptionally good.

RaduN

According to the leaked data, the game sold 4,5 million copies across PS4 and 5. It's 250 mil. dollars. Plus, and I'm guessing here, around 1.5 mil on PC.

It was profitable considering the budget for the game was nowhere close to your standard AAA. The game was made in 3 years, with peak head count of ~ 100ppl.

I'd say they made around 150 mil. of profit at least.
Weren't there official figures of ~ 5 mil sales in the first 6 months on ps4 alone?
What leaked data are you reffering to?

Mortisfacio

You sure? That actually sounds like a really very high percentage. There are research papers/studies on this. One from 2019 from an analysis of steam single player games found the average percent of players who would complete the main campaign to be 15%. That obviously includes a lot of random games that’ll skew results, but even if you look at aaa console games, the percentages are generally under 30% and rarely over 40%, particularly for larger games. I seem to recall reading that Spider-Man was Sonys highest engagement title getting just over 50% completion. So 45% would be exceptionally good.

Just going off this, no idea how accurate this is as opposed to Steam where it's much easier to find information

This is showing 43.05%

The initial "argument" was because the other guy wanted to compare PlayStation completion to Steam completion, which is intellectually dishonest. They're two different platforms with two different player bases. Steam usually always has lower completion.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Just going off this, no idea how accurate this is as opposed to Steam where it's much easier to find information

This is showing 43.05%

The initial "argument" was because the other guy wanted to compare PlayStation completion to Steam completion, which is intellectually dishonest. They're two different platforms with two different player bases. Steam usually always has lower completion.
That's actually the % of psn profile members who've gotten the trophy. It's 23.4% of all ps players who started the game that got the trophy for chapter 14.

Top Bottom