• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Cells |OT| A Metroguevania

Vawn

Banned

That's the only difficulty at the start, and its not like it equates to "Easy" in traditional games.

I don't see anything wrong for that being a stopping point for a game he doesn't love.

Are you guys suggesting unless he plays the game to competition on multiple difficulties he doesn't warrant having a judgement of the game?

And I actually enjoy the game a lot. But, I can respect someone finding it more frustrating than satisfying.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm just saying even before the game launched he was already ranting about it how the games progression system sucks etc. I think playing it for one day and saying yeah I 'completed' it this game is a huge waste of time etc is just not bullcrap.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just saying even before the game launched he was already ranting about it how the games progression system sucks etc. I think playing it for one day and saying yeah I 'completed' it this game is a huge waste of time etc is just not bullcrap.

Yeah, looking through their posts they just seem to be a Debbie Downer, bitch, complain and rant about things all the time type of poster. People can like and dislike whatever they want of course, but I’ve got no use for people who seem to hate games and yet spend a ton of time on gaming forums bitching about them and being condescending toward people with different tastes that theirs. Old GAF and Era were ruined for me by that negativity and hopefully new GAF doesn’t go down the same path.

I've also always wished the Review threads would be for both sharing critic reviews and users posting their own, so OTs were more hangouts for people to chat while playing the game without all the negativity--which is what they became when moved to Gaming Community back when the site was active.

Last edited by a moderator:

xviper

some people need to accept that others have different tastes, some people may like a game while others may hate it

again with accusing me of things i never did, i posted my opinion after i played the game, you can check my posts date

and yeah one day of play time for an indie game is enough to complete it since i killed the final boss and reached the ending, unless you want me to 100% the game and unlock the platinum trophy to actually say complete it ?

Yeah, looking through their posts they just seem to be a Debbie Downer, bitch, complain and rant about things all the time type of poster. People can like and dislike whatever they want of course, but I’ve got no use for people who seem to hate games and yet spend a ton of time on gaming forums bitching about them. Old GAF and Era were ruined for me by that negativity and hopefully new GAF doesn’t go down the same path.

i post my opinion about games to help others think if this game may like them or not and save their money, instead of thanking me most GAFFERS attack me

i don't hate games like you think, i just have high standards, generic games don't please me anymore

you people make me feel like you made the game, you take criticism as a personal insult, just relax, it's only a game, why you have to be mad ?

MMaRsu

Banned
yeah one day of play time for an indie game is enough to complete it since i killed the final boss

If you dont like the game, fair enough. You seem to have a very low grasp of what makes a rogue like game like this fun. Its collecting all the amazing weapons, try out different combinations, speedrunning.. eh so much more.

I doubt you have even seen 25% of what this game has to offer in terms of weapons and unlocks.

But if you dont like it thats fine. Dont pretend that just because you killed the boss on the easiest difficulty and probably only unlocked 1/10th of the items you could, that you 'finished' the game.

And especially on an indie title.. I'm sure your gamer cred would be shamed if ypu admitted to playing an indie game longer than a day and actually enjoyed it.

And gtfo with your higher standards. That makes it sound like you look down on people who enjoy this game. Get off your high horse man ffs. A lot of developers poured years of their life into this project. This game isnt 'generic' in the least bit. What an insulting behaviour you're showing.

What criticism? All you did was oh I beat the final boss this game is shit and a massive waste of time.

Yeah great 'criticism' there.

It's not about 'oh its just a game y u so mad?' its your childish fucking attitude that is annoying people.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the game while in early access but the random aspect of the levels is just a joke. Makes runs pretty boring if not for the different weapons.

Vawn

Banned
This seems like a game
If you dont like the game, fair enough. You seem to have a very low grasp of what makes a rogue like game like this fun. Its collecting all the amazing weapons, try out different combinations, speedrunning.. eh so much more.

I doubt you have even seen 25% of what this game has to offer in terms of weapons and unlocks.

But if you dont like it thats fine. Dont pretend that just because you killed the boss on the easiest difficulty and probably only unlocked 1/10th of the items you could, that you 'finished' the game.

And especially on an indie title.. I'm sure your gamer cred would be shamed if ypu admitted to playing an indie game longer than a day and actually enjoyed it.

And gtfo with your higher standards. That makes it sound like you look down on people who enjoy this game. Get off your high horse man ffs. A lot of developers poured years of their life into this project. This game isnt 'generic' in the least bit. What an insulting behaviour you're showing.

What criticism? All you did was oh I beat the final boss this game is shit and a massive waste of time.

It's not about 'oh its just a game y u so mad?' its your childish fucking attitude that is annoying people.

Are you for real? Come on now.

xviper

i'm pretty sure killing the final boss and seeing the credit counts as completing the game

what i meant by high standards is that i no longer enjoy mediocre games like Dead Cells anymore, this whole year so far i probably enjoyed 4 games only, which are Monster Hunter world, Yakuza 6, God of war 4( VERY OVERRATED) and Chasm

yup, that's what criticism is, posting your opinion about a certain thing, in my case, i played and finished Dead Cells and i find it a bad game, that's criticism

you don't have to be rude, i have been nothing but kind to you and many GAFFERS and all i get in return is your kind of posts, you can either agree with my opinion or simply disagree with it while being respectful no need to make a big deal out of it

you need to calm down, your hostile attitude may turn into a big problem later in life, if this is how you discuss video games, i don't want to even think about how you discuss real problems

Looks promising but I never like procedurally-generated stuff in any game. No matter what fancy algorithm they use, it'll end up with bland areas. On the fence here.

aevanhoe

Played this at a friend’s PC and immediately loved it - but now I can’t decide whether to get the Switch or PS4 version. I usually play on TV (so PS4) but love to play on the go occasionally (so Switch). I’ve heard there are framerate issues on the Switch. Anyone know if the Switch version is 1080p docked? Thanks for any advice.

Vawn

Banned
Finally beat HoK on like my 6th try and it was close.

I see there's a trophy for beating him (and each other boss) without getting hit. This does not sound like a fun platinum to hunt.

Typhares

i'm pretty sure killing the final boss and seeing the credit counts as completing the game

what i meant by high standards is that i no longer enjoy mediocre games like Dead Cells anymore, this whole year so far i probably enjoyed 4 games only, which are Monster Hunter world, Yakuza 6, God of war 4( VERY OVERRATED) and Chasm

yup, that's what criticism is, posting your opinion about a certain thing, in my case, i played and finished Dead Cells and i find it a bad game, that's criticism

you don't have to be rude, i have been nothing but kind to you and many GAFFERS and all i get in return is your kind of posts, you can either agree with my opinion or simply disagree with it while being respectful no need to make a big deal out of it

you need to calm down, your hostile attitude may turn into a big problem later in life, if this is how you discuss video games, i don't want to even think about how you discuss real problems

When you say a game is mediocre because you don't enjoy it that's an inflamatory statement, it's an opinion sure but not criticism.

You say you enjoyed chasm, good for you but that game seems to be getting very mild reviews, does that mean you are enjoying a mediocre game?
A game that people on average find inferior to dead cells? That's high standard? Or you just have your own personal tastes and that's it so no need to try and come out all high and mighty.

Giving criticism about aspects of the game you don't like is fine, personally I find the griding should be turned down a bit because I don't have that much play time for example and some of the randomness is frutrating at times. If you think people are 'mad' because you don't like a game you're wrong and if you thing you gave good feedback for future buyer you're also wrong.

Typhares

Played this at a friend’s PC and immediately loved it - but now I can’t decide whether to get the Switch or PS4 version. I usually play on TV (so PS4) but love to play on the go occasionally (so Switch). I’ve heard there are framerate issues on the Switch. Anyone know if the Switch version is 1080p docked? Thanks for any advice.

I cannot find the info about resolution on switch. I would say if you are sensitive to frame rate drops then do not get the switch version. They are hoping to fix it but no promises:
We are aware of the frame rate drops in some areas of the game. However we didn’t feel like it was getting in the way of us having a good time with Dead Cells, and we had to make a choice between; significantly delaying the launch of the Switch version of the game until after the release on the other platforms, or getting it out to fans at the same time as everyone else. The former seemed more damaging for Switch owners.

This leaves us with the big time consuming changes as well as exploring new possibilities which might really help, or not, we won’t know until we start. Of course on console all updates must be certified before reaching you guys, which adds extra time between now and a potential fix.

Vawn

Banned
When you say a game is mediocre because you don't enjoy it that's an inflamatory statement, it's an opinion sure but not criticism.

Perhaps you should ask yourself why you think someone saying he finds a game mediocre to be offensive. That seems to be more a you problem.

xviper

You say you enjoyed chasm, good for you but that game seems to be getting very mild reviews, does that mean you are enjoying a mediocre game?
A game that people on average find inferior to dead cells? That's high standard? Or you just have your own personal tastes and that's it so no need to try and come out all high and mighty.

Giving criticism about aspects of the game you don't like is fine, personally I find the griding should be turned down a bit because I don't have that much play time for example and some of the randomness is frutrating at times. If you think people are 'mad' because you don't like a game you're wrong and if you thing you gave good feedback for future buyer you're also wrong.

i can say any game is a mediocre, that's an opinion, i'm criticizing the game, and therefore it's a criticism, you don't have to be a game reviewer to be able to criticize

Chasm was a big surprise for me, i didn't expect it to be this good and i think it's underrated, maybe the reason i liked it that much is because i haven't played and enjoyed a 2d-metroidvania since Ori

yes i believe that i have high standards in terms of taste, by that i mean i don't just like any game like most people do, i'm not saying that i only enjoy very high quality games like Witcher 3, i'm just saying that i'm not easily impressed by a game nowadays

some GAFFERS actually get mad when i post my opinion on a game i didn't like and they start insulting me, i'm fine with that though, and yes i believe i provide a very good and honest feedback, fanboyism doesn't hold me back from posting my honest opinion, even if it's my favorite game, posting the pros and cons of a game really help others choose whether the game is for them or not, fans tend to go easy on sony and nintendo exclusives so it may be misleading, but not in my case, wait once Spiderman comes out and see all the praise it gets, even if it's filled with flaws, GAF will ignore them and pretend that they don't exist, i don't do that, that's why i think my feedback is helpful

you're welcome to agree with me or disagree, the important thing is that we are discussing video games, no need to get personal like some other members

I swear it feels like they buffed hand of the king because he's been whooping my ass lately. :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

What's worse is my one complete play through didn't carry over it's boss cell for some odd reason :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:

Vawn

Banned
I swear it feels like they buffed hand of the king because he's been whooping my ass lately. :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

What's worse is my one complete play through didn't carry over it's boss cell for some odd reason :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:

He felt too hard to me too for the lowest difficulty setting.

Typhares

You played an earlier version of the game?
If that is so I read on the steam forum that with one of the latest updates the dev introduced enemy scaling with scrolls.
I couldn't find the exact details but apparently after a while scrolls become a negative for you. It seems enemy damage scales 8-9% per scrolls from what I read so if you get less than that in HP you basically take a hit.
That is a design desicion I really dislike personally and hope they rebalance all that.

Orpheum

Man i just beat the first Boss and died somewhere in the
clock tower
or whatever it's called. had to return to the beginning and now i have to beat him again :(

I'm not buying the game on Switch (which is the only system that matters to me now) until the devs fix the performance issues and incorporate HD rumble the same way Team Cherry did for Hollow Knight.

Greedings

I got this on Switch and it's an absolutely great game.

I have made it past the first boss multiple times (although not reliably, sometimes I just can't beat him) and got the second boss once...only to be wrecked on the next level.
It's incredibly fast paced to the point that I might not be able to finish it because I don't have the reaction speed (and usually play when I'm sleepy after work), but I really love the concept. The action just feels great when you get a flow going.

I'm all about the DOT effects. I once had an amazing load out where I had a bleed effect that propagated to enemies, who exploded in poison. Every weapon was also +x% against bleeding targets. Most of the time I didn't need to touch more than one person per screen and everything died.
It is weird how easily you go from being underpowered to overpowered on different runs.

It has it's hooks in me, probably because it's a mix of two of my favourite games - Rogue Legacy and The Binding of Isaac. The permanent upgrades make each run feel worthwhile even if you don't get far, and the random chance of getting some great weapons is so cool.

chriskun

When you find blue prints and give them to the collecter, does that only unlock them in the store to be bought once or do they then appear randomly throughout the levels?

When you find blue prints and give them to the collecter, does that only unlock them in the store to be bought once or do they then appear randomly throughout the levels?

When you hand them to the collector you then have to unlock/purchase the item with cells. He will give you the item once it's paid off and it will then be available in the loot pool going forward. There's something to be said for choosing carefully which items you want to add into the pool. I made the mistake of unlocking stuff that turned out to be wack and now the pool has been diluted and I get runs where crap stuff appears which could have been avoided.

chriskun

When you hand them to the collector you then have to unlock/purchase the item with cells. He will give you the item once it's paid off and it will then be available in the loot pool going forward. There's something to be said for choosing carefully which items you want to add into the pool. I made the mistake of unlocking stuff that turned out to be wack and now the pool has been diluted and I get runs where crap stuff appears which could have been avoided.

Cool, thanks for answering my question and for the advice.

Terce

Man i just beat the first Boss and died somewhere in the
clock tower
or whatever it's called. had to return to the beginning and now i have to beat him again :(
The whole point of the bosses is that you don't have to beat them again. You use the power you unlock after beating them the first time to move into the new areas without having to fight them again.

Typhares

I'm focusing on unlocking the runes at the moment, trying to get that last one for which I have to go through different biomes I am used to.
It's tough, I can kill the concierge pretty much every run now but that other boss not yet.

Ar¢tos

I started playing Rogue Legacy to see if i would like this game (it was free with ps+ some time ago).
I find myself in a love/hate relationship with the game. I'm addicted to it, my OCD is forcing me to keep playing it to unlock everything in the castle, but at the same time i find the enemy placement (random, i know) and procedural generation of the castle on every death very annoying (i'm not paying the architect! I need all the gold i can get). The game is very often unfair.
Is Dead Cells like this? (in terms of addiction and game issues)

Fuz

Banned
Love the art style, the combat is fun and the controls are responsive... but I really can't stand the roguelike system anymore. Wish this was a classic Metroidvania.

Typhares

I started playing Rogue Legacy to see if i would like this game (it was free with ps+ some time ago).
I find myself in a love/hate relationship with the game. I'm addicted to it, my OCD is forcing me to keep playing it to unlock everything in the castle, but at the same time i find the enemy placement (random, i know) and procedural generation of the castle on every death very annoying (i'm not paying the architect! I need all the gold i can get). The game is very often unfair.
Is Dead Cells like this? (in terms of addiction and game issues)

I think they are both quite similar.
Unlocking all the items in dead cells would take a long time and the levels are proceduraly generated too.
You have to find a blueprint first (some are fixes to find some are drop rates) then use cells to unlock the item for the pool. The levels are played in specific order but there are different paths though.
You don't upgrade your character directly in dead cells outside of some mobility runes but you can upgrade: your health potion to get more charges and the chance of higher quality drops (+,++ and S).
Still it's a game about repeating the cycle over and over again using different builds with the great combat system mostly.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I finally got some more time to play this and I’m gradually getting better. Got past the first boss my third time reaching him. Got past the village after that and pretty far into the clocktower before dying on some spikes trying to get a key.

Typhares

I finally got some more time to play this and I’m gradually getting better. Got past the first boss my third time reaching him. Got past the village after that and pretty far into the clocktower before dying on some spikes trying to get a key.

Nice one! I finally got the last rune so now I can access all areas of all levels. Next goal is to finally kill that last boss I guess and try higher difficulties!

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't had a lot of time to play, so haven't made much progress. Made it to the Concierge a couple more times, but haven't beaten him a second time yet. Working on unlocking the third health flask upgrade as I think that will get me past him more regularly.

Edit:

And I think I was right as today’s run had me get that third health flask upgrade and bear the Concierge for the second time. Made it through the village again and got careless and died in the clocktower.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That was satisfying! Just took down the Concierge with barely any damage taken. I lucked into a Pyrotechnics I-L (first time I’ve found that weapon) early on and just kept him stuck with wolf trap and ice bow while pelting him with that and the sinew slicer.

Edit: Dang, squandered a good run there by going to an area I hadn’t been to yet—Forgotten Sepulcher—instead of ignoring that and heading to the Clocktower. I made it pretty far into that level but just not powerful enough to survive.

Enzo88

I made it to the last boss twice and lost.

I really like the basic combat and movement, weapons are fun, however i have a basic problem with roguelike games.

There is definitely a skill component in the game, but i like being in control of everything.
The random element of the weapons really affects the success of your runs and i don`t like that unlocking more weapons actually makes it harder for you to get the ones you like.

Pretty good game overall though, i see myself doing random runs here and there for a while.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I made it to the last boss twice and lost.

I really like the basic combat and movement, weapons are fun, however i have a basic problem with roguelike games.

There is definitely a skill component in the game, but i like being in control of everything.
The random element of the weapons really affects the success of your runs and i don`t like that unlocking more weapons actually makes it harder for you to get the ones you like.

Pretty good game overall though, i see myself doing random runs here and there for a while.

I've not made it near that far yet, but those are fair points.

For me, personally, the randomness really adds to the replayabilty. I love how one run I'm built for distance attacks, another melee and another something else. It forces you to experiment and play different way as you never know what will drop.

In terms of the unlocking weapons and making it harder, I'm not a huge fan of that. But I had fair warning from reading a bit before playing and have mostly just not been unlocking blueprints of weapons unless it's something I got a random drop of and liked. Like the Pyrotechnics I mentioned above. I REALLY want that blueprint!

Enzo88

I've not made it near that far yet, but those are fair points.

For me, personally, the randomness really adds to the replayabilty. I love how one run I'm built for distance attacks, another melee and another something else. It forces you to experiment and play different way as you never know what will drop.

In terms of the unlocking weapons and making it harder, I'm not a huge fan of that. But I had fair warning from reading a bit before playing and have mostly just not been unlocking blueprints of weapons unless it's something I got a random drop of and liked. Like the Pyrotechnics I mentioned above. I REALLY want that blueprint!
That`s another thing, i am not getting many blueprints at this point.
I guess i have to use that hunter grenade thing (i believe that`s how is called), but it`s boring to dedicate your run to hunt blueprints instead of using sub-weapons to attack.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Blueprints I’d recommend hunting down (I’ve got nearly all weapons now and have beat the game obviously) —

War Spear
Heavy Turret
Pyrotechnics
Impaler
Ice Bow/Ice Crossbow

All incredibly useful weapons. Ice Bow is probably the single most useful item in the game — all ice items are very powerful.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up in Forgotten Sepulcher again and made it through this time. Fought the second boss, , and got him probably 85% down or so. Not to bad for a first try and having a build I wasn’t super into.

This game is quite addictive as it has a nice loop of getting better skill and knowledge wise, finding new stuff fairly often and grinding to get more powerful options to help. Along with the RNG that forces you to experiment with different weapons and builds which I don’t do much in games that don’t have randomization.

-MD-

Finished my first run, took about 10 hours total, the 2nd and final boss took 2 tries each.

Fun game, I might do a hard run next.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone still playing this? I’d dropped off for a while but fired it up today and it’s got its hooks in me again. I’ve only made it to the second boss twice and no further so far.

It’s one of those games I have fun with despite being bad at. I made some progress today with getting through the Ossuary finally and getting the ground smash rune from there. The game is good at providing some sense of progress even without getting further on a run.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Anyone still playing this? I’d dropped off for a while but fired it up today and it’s got its hooks in me again. I’ve only made it to the second boss twice and no further so far.

It’s one of those games I have fun with despite being bad at. I made some progress today with getting through the Ossuary finally and getting the ground smash rune from there. The game is good at providing some sense of progress even without getting further on a run.
Recently got it for Switch, very interested in starting it up :).

Top Bottom