• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Review Thread

Should we lock this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 196 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 628 76.2%

• Total voters

jaysius

Banned
J JORMBO

Another review from LegacyKiller..he does do a lot of CP coverage though so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Says "Combat is a cakewalk"

after says "Combat is fun"

A "cakewalk" means there isn't a great balance in the combat, that means there's an issue there, unless you LOVE stomping(and we know many people do with all the SMBB babies crying).

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The SJW’s guide to game writing:

1. straight white male characters should either be bad guys or dopey beta males who gladly get out of the way and defer to others

2. minorities and LGBT characters should have no character flaws or moral ambiguity at all

3. caveat to #2, it’s okay for those characters to lack confidence (due to all the cruelty society has inflicted on them) as long as the player character gives them encouragement to overcome their self-doubt and fully embrace their awesomeness

Thanatoskaras

Neo Member
Holy shit,IGN Japan review

2012年にCD PROJEKT REDが『サイバーパンク2077』を発表したときのインターネットは、まだ、いまよりは明るい場所だった。YouTubeは収益化に着手しておらず、Twitterは子供のけんかの場ではなく、Twitchは存在すらしていなかった。だから8年前の「サイバーパンク」という言葉の響きは、どちらかというと温故知新なもの、80年代に流行したあのムーブメントを懐かしむ感じをもっていた。当時はまだ無人ドローンによる爆撃も、暗号通貨のやりとりも、SNS上の話者による分断の扇動も行われていなかった。は爆発していないし、マリヤ・タケウチの楽曲群は情報の海の底で眠っているし、TSMC(台湾の半導体メーカー)の時価総額はいまの5分の一以下で、『ブレードランナー 2049』は発表すらされていなかった。

しかし私たちは、あの当時から8年を経て、私たちのサイバー空間、そして物理空間の文化的背景が急激に変化したことを知っている。人と人との繋がりの有り様がここまで変わってしまった今日の日に、未来の資本主義経済や社会の姿を示唆する本作が、こんにちの芸術のうちもっともデジタルなメディアムであるビデオゲームで発表されたことの意義は、あまりにも大きい。そして作品が訴えかけたメッセージが、明示的でもなく単一でもない、渋味のある、複雑な、複数な、豊かな人間味を湛えたものであったことは、なお喜ばしい。

50年前のあの日、ジョニーがアラサカタワーを核爆弾で吹っ飛ばしてもなにも変わらなかったように、あるひとつの革命によってそれまでの問題がすべて解決される、などということは起こりえない。そう、ナイトシティと同じか、あるいはそれ以上に複雑なこの世界を泳ぎ切るには、Vやジョニーがおずおずと、時に傷つけ合いながらそうしたように、他人との覚束ない共同作業のなかで、協力しながら、何とかやっていくほかないのだ。そして、そうしたときに助けになるのは、世界そのものへの尽きぬ興味――この作品が再燃させてくれた、好奇心の熾火にほかならないのだ。

Deepl translate

When CD PROJEKT RED released Cyberpunk 2077 in 2012, the Internet was still a brighter place than it is today: YouTube hadn't even started to monetize, Twitter wasn't a place for kids to fight, and Twitch didn't even exist. So eight years ago, the word "cyberpunk" sounded rather warm and fuzzy, a nostalgic nod to that movement that was so popular in the '80s. Back then, there were still no unmanned drone strikes, no cryptocurrency exchanges, no incitement to division by speakers on social networking sites, and the term "cyberpunk The first Blade Runner 2049 hadn't exploded, Mariya Takeuchi's songs were sleeping at the bottom of a sea of information, TSMC's (a Taiwanese semiconductor manufacturer) market capitalization was less than a fifth of what it is today, and Blade Runner 2049 hadn't even been announced.

But we know that in the eight years that have passed since then, the cultural context of our cyber and physical spaces has changed rapidly. In a day when the nature of human connections has changed so much, the significance of this work, which hints at the future of capitalist economy and society, is too great to be presented in the most digital medium of today's art: video games. And it is even more gratifying that the message it conveys is neither explicit nor singular, but austere, complex, plural, and richly human.

Just as fifty years ago, when Johnny blew up the Alazaka Tower with a nuclear bomb on that day and nothing changed, it is unlikely that a revolution will solve all the problems of the past. Yes, the only way to navigate this world, which is as complex as, or even more complex than, Night City, is to work together, in the same way that V and Johnny did, sometimes unwillingly and sometimes hurtfully, in a precarious collaboration with others. And it helps to have an insatiable interest in the world itself - a spark of curiosity that the film has rekindled.

Last edited:

Romulus

Called it weeks ago. This is a glitch fest.

I recommend not playing this for a few months for people already getting the next gen versions.

1) We know the game is plagued with bug and performance issues.

2) the devs are known to fix things fast overall, they do some of the most consistent patch work.

3) in a few months of bug fixes, you'll be alot closer to a full blown next gen patch too that takes advantage of the hardware and you can play the game as intended on BOTH fronts. Less bugs+better and more fluid visuals.

Let everyone else playtest their unfinished game, it's not ready. Thats what this is a public alpha build. We all know they needed more time to polish this. Let everyone else prowl the support forums to report the game breaking save bugs and glitches for us, then we can play the prettier/less plagued version later.

Last edited:

FastyMar7

Neo Member

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wonder what you need to actually play this at native 4K + Ultra + RTX. Is it even possible right now?
No 4k for me but I'm close. I'm running a 1600p 21:9 monitor on a 3080. Looking forward to seeing how it runs at this resolution at those settings.

YuLY

After watching youtube reviews from people I trust, I believe this game was worth the wait. Cannot wait till Friday night when I can jump in.

Was anyone else expecting something else from desperate legacy media such as pc gamer, gamespot and polygon? these people instead of talking about the game, they barely wait a few phrases before they mention trans people. I'm so tired of it. I imagine myself being 12 like when I started watching gamespot and reading stuff like that. I would have given the biggest "who the f**k cares about that". These people have issues, I really mean it, they are nuts (just to be clear, I mean the journalists).

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
The SJW’s guide to game writing:

1. straight white male characters should either be bad guys or dopey beta males who gladly get out of the way and defer to others

2. minorities and LGBT characters should have no character flaws or moral ambiguity at all

3. caveat to #2, it’s okay for those characters to lack confidence (due to all the cruelty society has inflicted on them) as long as the player character gives them encouragement to overcome their self-doubt and fully embrace their awesomeness

You only missed:

4. Don't use any word at all that can EVER be construed as a physical or mental differentablity(that's the stupid word I just made up for disability, great isn't it?)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
4zzOvlD.png

Completely missed that that was PER SECOND. Was thinking "I guess people aren't interested in pre-loading.

wolywood

To the dude who was predicting Keanu's performance would be the game's biggest flaw - yeah the reviews pretty much all confirm this.

JonkyDonk

Woof, I'm just gonna stay away from anything to do with this game for a while and play it some time later when all the noise has died down and some patches are out.

I don't really understand the hate for the Gamespot review.

If being woke is simply talking about some cultural issues and that offends you then well you're as snowflake as the people you complain about.

It's a pretty ok review and the reviewer doesn't like how the game fetishes trans concepts. Which is probably true. It does and it didn't sit well with her. Though, I'd argue that an aspect of cyperpunk fiction is the the unhinged use of technology making human life cheap. So of course human augmentation would become super cheap and thoughtless. I mean this is a huge aspect of the culture in Transmetropolitan. People can change themselves so much that it becomes trendy and a fad, but that's not usually a good thing. Thats a dark future.

But it's 2020 and as these things become actually real of course humans are going to have a more nuanced view. It seems like 2077's thoughts about it are stuck in the 80s.

Which I'm of two minds about. A lot of the "progressive" reviews talk about how the gangs and things like corporate Japanese groups are stuck using ethnicity as identity, which yeah was fine in the 80s. But we have different views on that now. Like I wouldn't find a GTA7 having GTA3's sterotypical one note ethnic gang depiction acceptable now. But then again, maybe the game is trying to be a send up to exactly that 80s style. But Cyperpunk is far more nuanced than that. Plenty of works in that genre tell real human stories beyond the on the surface edginess of something like 2077.

I don't know still excited to play the game of course.
The entire idea of even judging this game based on how it handles transgender issues is totally insane. She talks about "fetishization at every turn", but that's because she often sees that one ad that uses a woman with a dick to sell a drink. I'm sure all the billboards repeat just like they do in real life.

It's all based on one stupid ad, which is totally in keeping with the cyberpunk genre and the crass commodification of sexuality, by the way, as you point out. That's it - so because the game has this ad it has to stop to consider transgender people? It's a sci-fi action game - think about how insane that is. The whole thing is just a concocted, manufactured bullshit controversy.

Called it weeks ago. This is a glitch fest.

I recommend not playing this for a few months for people already getting the next gen versions.

1) We know the game is plagued with bug and performance issues.

2) the devs are known to fix things fast overall, they do some of the most consistent patch work.

3) in a few months of bug fixes, you'll be alot closer to a full blown next gen patch too that takes advantage of the hardware and you can play the game as intended on BOTH fronts. Less bugs+better and more fluid visuals.

Don't play their alpha game right now, it's not ready. We all know they needed more time to polish this. Let everyone else report the game breaking save bugs and glitches for us, then we can play the prettier/less plagued version later.
Nah, best game of the year, can’t wait to play

Elog

Really feels like this is a game one should wait to buy until a patch or two later unless one is ok with a significant amount of technical glitches. Or at a minimum be certain that the Day 1 patch actually addresses a majority of the ones the reviewers have been experiencing. I trust sources such as Easy Allies and in reality their discussion regrading the game they had been playing was brutal ('it has completely ruined entire moments').

2012年にCD PROJEKT REDが『サイバーパンク2077』を発表したときのインターネットは、まだ、いまよりは明るい場所だった。YouTubeは収益化に着手しておらず、Twitterは子供のけんかの場ではなく、Twitchは存在すらしていなかった。だから8年前の「サイバーパンク」という言葉の響きは、どちらかというと温故知新なもの、80年代に流行したあのムーブメントを懐かしむ感じをもっていた。当時はまだ無人ドローンによる爆撃も、暗号通貨のやりとりも、SNS上の話者による分断の扇動も行われていなかった。は爆発していないし、マリヤ・タケウチの楽曲群は情報の海の底で眠っているし、TSMC(台湾の半導体メーカー)の時価総額はいまの5分の一以下で、『ブレードランナー 2049』は発表すらされていなかった。

しかし私たちは、あの当時から8年を経て、私たちのサイバー空間、そして物理空間の文化的背景が急激に変化したことを知っている。人と人との繋がりの有り様がここまで変わってしまった今日の日に、未来の資本主義経済や社会の姿を示唆する本作が、こんにちの芸術のうちもっともデジタルなメディアムであるビデオゲームで発表されたことの意義は、あまりにも大きい。そして作品が訴えかけたメッセージが、明示的でもなく単一でもない、渋味のある、複雑な、複数な、豊かな人間味を湛えたものであったことは、なお喜ばしい。

50年前のあの日、ジョニーがアラサカタワーを核爆弾で吹っ飛ばしてもなにも変わらなかったように、あるひとつの革命によってそれまでの問題がすべて解決される、などということは起こりえない。そう、ナイトシティと同じか、あるいはそれ以上に複雑なこの世界を泳ぎ切るには、Vやジョニーがおずおずと、時に傷つけ合いながらそうしたように、他人との覚束ない共同作業のなかで、協力しながら、何とかやっていくほかないのだ。そして、そうしたときに助けになるのは、世界そのものへの尽きぬ興味――この作品が再燃させてくれた、好奇心の熾火にほかならないのだ。

Deepl translate

When CD PROJEKT RED released Cyberpunk 2077 in 2012, the Internet was still a brighter place than it is today: YouTube hadn't even started to monetize, Twitter wasn't a place for kids to fight, and Twitch didn't even exist. So eight years ago, the word "cyberpunk" sounded rather warm and fuzzy, a nostalgic nod to that movement that was so popular in the '80s. Back then, there were still no unmanned drone strikes, no cryptocurrency exchanges, no incitement to division by speakers on social networking sites, and the term "cyberpunk The first Blade Runner 2049 hadn't exploded, Mariya Takeuchi's songs were sleeping at the bottom of a sea of information, TSMC's (a Taiwanese semiconductor manufacturer) market capitalization was less than a fifth of what it is today, and Blade Runner 2049 hadn't even been announced.

But we know that in the eight years that have passed since then, the cultural context of our cyber and physical spaces has changed rapidly. In a day when the nature of human connections has changed so much, the significance of this work, which hints at the future of capitalist economy and society, is too great to be presented in the most digital medium of today's art: video games. And it is even more gratifying that the message it conveys is neither explicit nor singular, but austere, complex, plural, and richly human.

Just as fifty years ago, when Johnny blew up the Alazaka Tower with a nuclear bomb on that day and nothing changed, it is unlikely that a revolution will solve all the problems of the past. Yes, the only way to navigate this world, which is as complex as, or even more complex than, Night City, is to work together, in the same way that V and Johnny did, sometimes unwillingly and sometimes hurtfully, in a precarious collaboration with others. And it helps to have an insatiable interest in the world itself - a spark of curiosity that the film has rekindled.
Is the Johnny thing a spoiler?

Dr. Doak

Just an FYI for those with older cards - one review I checked out from MrMattyPlays said he's playing on a 980 Ti and was running at close to 60 fps (with dips into the 40's and 50's) at 1080p High.
WTH, why are there so many different opinions on this, lol?!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I stopped playing the copy I got from BB because I was afraid a bug was gonna break the experience for me and glad I did. I have no problem waiting. I'm playing Fenyx Rising and Assassin's Creed anyway. No rush for me as badly as I wanna dive more into Cyberpunk.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
After watching youtube reviews from people I trust, I believe this game was worth the wait. Cannot wait till Friday night when I can jump in.

Was anyone else expecting something else from desperate legacy media such as pc gamer, gamespot and polygon? these people instead of talking about the game, they barely wait a few phrases before they mention trans people. I'm so tired of it. I imagine myself being 12 like when I started watching gamespot and reading stuff like that. I would have given the biggest "who the f**k cares about that". These people have issues, I really mean it, they are nuts (just to be clear, I mean the journalists).

So you just looked at the score for PCGamer and assumed it was "ideologically skewed?" Do a word search for "trans" on PCGamer and see how often it comes up. The Gamespot review has exactly one paragraph related to MIXITUP and representation in general and it comes well within the review and isn't particularly unfair.

. . .fine to criticize reviews that are reviewing ideology and not the game but at least focus on those that are and not just kneejerking it.

Hugare

Deepl translate

Jesus fucking christ, what a well written review it seems to be

IGN US, on the other hand: "game looks cool, shooting is nice, everything awesome. Some bugs, yeah, I rate it a 9"

Kuranghi

No 4k for me but I'm close. I'm running a 1600p 21:9 monitor on a 3080. Looking forward to seeing how it runs at this resolution at those settings.

Going by the benchmarks in this thread you will need to use DLSS to even get 30fps if you want Ultra settings + RTX at your res. If you want 60 fps + RTX + Ultra I think you need to go to a much lower res than your native or disable RTX.

Hopefully the Ultra settings are over the top though and can be reduced with little quality loss to gain massive frames back.

Astorian

The entire idea of even judging this game based on how it handles transgender issues is totally insane. She talks about "fetishization at every turn", but that's because she often sees that one ad that uses a woman with a dick to sell a drink. I'm sure all the billboards repeat just like they do in real life.
That was just part of the review, she also mentioned the bugs, poor world building, felt the side quests didn’t mean much for the main story and a few others that I can’t remember.

Kadayi

Banned
Says "Combat is a cakewalk"

after says "Combat is fun"

A "cakewalk" means there isn't a great balance in the combat, that means there's an issue there, unless you LOVE stomping(and we know many people do with all the SMBB babies crying).

Hey, look at that a Rando letter poster pulling out 3 separate statements devoid of the context in which they are said. Shocker. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Deepl translate

West: "Pew pew, penises, pretty shiny things, BIGOT"
East: "Allow me to intellectually break your concentration, hurts the brain, huh?*"

*105+ IQ required

And said fiction is not free from criticism. And criticism does not have to adhere to your standards.

Of course it's not free from criticism and of course Gamespot is under no obligation to adopt "my" standards simply because they are mine. That's not the issue. I'm not looking for bragging rights.

Criticism needs to be legitimate and standards need to be rationally supported if people are expected to pay attention to both. It's not because they're my standards and other people's stand tads that Gamespot should adopt them. It's because they're demonstrably better. And rational people will always change to conform to reality.

People entrenched in tribalism, though, they cannot be persuaded via rationality.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

If a game did nothing but relegate White Males to token bigots/bad guys and had a person-of-color as protag and a Mary Sue, you wouldn't be complaining about that even if the game was fundamentally a good one? I find that hard to believe.

Dunki

A
I don't really understand the hate for the Gamespot review.

If being woke is simply talking about some cultural issues and that offends you then well you're as snowflake as the people you complain about.

It's a pretty ok review and the reviewer doesn't like how the game fetishes trans concepts. Which is probably true. It does and it didn't sit well with her. Though, I'd argue that an aspect of cyperpunk fiction is the the unhinged use of technology making human life cheap. So of course human augmentation would become super cheap and thoughtless. I mean this is a huge aspect of the culture in Transmetropolitan. People can change themselves so much that it becomes trendy and a fad, but that's not usually a good thing. Thats a dark future.

But it's 2020 and as these things become actually real of course humans are going to have a more nuanced view. It seems like 2077's thoughts about it are stuck in the 80s.

Which I'm of two minds about. A lot of the "progressive" reviews talk about how the gangs and things like corporate Japanese groups are stuck using ethnicity as identity, which yeah was fine in the 80s. But we have different views on that now. Like I wouldn't find a GTA7 having GTA3's sterotypical one note ethnic gang depiction acceptable now. But then again, maybe the game is trying to be a send up to exactly that 80s style. But Cyperpunk is far more nuanced than that. Plenty of works in that genre tell real human stories beyond the on the surface edginess of something like 2077.

I don't know still excited to play the game of course.
First of all she based Days gone for having a male white lead. And that all Zombies are white which by the way was even eplained in the story.

Secondly: The whole point is that it is a DARK future.. It is a Dystopian Future owned by Corporations. There is Nothing good about it. Its, dark and its bleak.
About the trans issues. This is NEVER seen as positive. This is a world owned by corporation who do everything they can market. Sex sells and there for EVERYONE is sexualized why shoould trans people an exception here?

This is not about how "progressive" the world has become. Even though personally I see a lot of Fascism in these so called progressive movements. But thats not the point here.

Also just to note: You have NEVER seen anything Cyberpunk Material which it is based on or?

Last edited:

Kuranghi

You only missed:

4. Don't use any word at all that can EVER be construed as a physical or mental differentablity(that's the stupid word I just made up for disability, great isn't it?)

I like to use the word "submental" to describe idiots, it really riles these people up because they think its something offensive :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You only missed:

Also :

5. make sure there is at least one kind and loving, conflict-free gay relationship featured prominently in the story, even if there is otherwise no hint of romance or genuine human affection among any of the other characters

Top Bottom