• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cutting, slicing and Dismemberment in games?

Cashon

Banned
Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus.

You can blow/chop off limbs and heads, we well as completely explode people. It's pretty visceral.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

The Citadel

The-Citadel2021-08-12-14h48m49s681-1024x576.jpg

WYKploj.jpg

ziNQETM.jpg

uZnz9YH.jpg

Guilty_AI

Anatomy lesson! That reminds me of old school Mortal Kombat, when you’d do a brutality finisher and you’d get half a dozen rib cages out of a single body.
tbf, i'm pretty sure there's more than one enemy remains there.

Last edited:
NeverDead. You lose limbs whenever you get hit. The gameplay partially revolves around this mechanic and you can reattach them yourself after losing them (alternatively, regenerate your body if a potion meter is full). You're kinda like a walking puzzle. I highly recommend the game to anyone whose curious.

Last edited:
I've played so many extremely violent games, yet it's the only one that really gets me to this day. There's something extremely realistic about the violence here to the point I feel gross about it, like witnessing a murder in real life.
The animations and voice acting that went into that specific aspect are extremely detailed and unsettling. I totally get what you're saying.

Yet I still loved coming up with the most creative and dirty ways to off people, I'm a monster...

MirageMew2

The original Dead Island and it’s sequel Riptide had this really innovative analogue-aiming mechanic that allowed for omni-directional melee:

Probably some of my favorite melee combat to date, I have no idea why they abandoned it in Dead Island 2.

Last edited:

DanielG165

Ninja Gaidens 2 and Razor’s Edge, respectively. Dismemberment was literally a major talking point in the former title, and played an actual important role in the gameplay loop/tech. Interestingly enough, Razor’s Edge also had dismemberment be a big talking point, as the vanilla version of the game (Ninja Gaiden 3) removed said mechanic.

Umbral

The original Dead Island and it’s sequel Riptide had this really innovative analogue-aiming mechanic that allowed for omni-directional melee:

Probably some of my favorite melee combat to date, I have no idea why they abandoned it in Dead Island 2.

Dead Island 2 with its new system for dismemberment.
Hahaha.

I really wish more games utilized this, context appropriate, of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom