• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EnGore - Procedural Dismemberment System for Unreal Engine 5

Bartski

Gold Member

https://80.lv/articles/engore-a-new-procedural-dismemberment-system-for-ue5/
Solo Game Developer, known as SovereignDev, has released EnGore, a new dismemberment system for Unreal Engine 5 that enables you to procedurally dismember any bones of a skeletal mesh at runtime without having to bake any extra meshes.
According to the developer, the system is highly tweakable and customizable, granting you the ability to set up dismemberment mechanics in your games exactly how you envision them. On top of that, EnGore also includes Niagara-made Blood/Gore FX that can be easily interchanged for any other effects, allowing you to customize the amount and colors of blood particles as well.

CamHostage

Oh, I don't know... GAF might not really be the right place to bring Marketplace modules into conversation?

I mean, good looking out OP, but there's like a dozen dismemberment systems in UE Marketplace, and probably a lot more prefab character models come included with dismemberment processes assigned to their joints.

https://www.unrealengine.com/market...smember&sortBy=relevancy&sortDir=DESC&start=0

(Also, I'm not sure how this developer SovereignDev is calling it "procedural dismemberment"? It looks like everything simply breaks at the joints and triggers a particle effect as well as textures some meat on the cut surfaces. I'm not sure if even the bloodstain is "procedural", seems like it's applying the stain as an animation or set of decals which apply independent of which way the blood spurts. Maybe it technically qualifies, since it looks to be developers are not "pre-slicing" the character model, but you are still telling the EnGore system where the bones are, and then it breaks exactly where each predefined bone meets.)

...There's cool stuff out there making use of UE and especially UE5, but be careful posting stuff here since it's hard for us non-technical people to have a good conversation about what it's actually doing, or to have an understanding of how feasible it is for these features to actually be used well inside games. (And I'm going to go out on a limb now and say, EnGore will never be used in a major production, a developer will likely make their own gore system if that's a major function of its gameplay.) If it's a super-cool demo doing something we've never seen before, throw it up on the wall! But these 80LV skim-throughs of UE-tagged tweets tend to not really tell the story we hope they'll tell.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Looks like shite with limbs clipping into rest of the body as soon as they detach.
And it's just detaching at joints... what's so impressive?

rofif

Banned
Tool for small devs as people explained to me.

Better having shitty gore than no gore in small games i guess.
I am not sure what it is but seeing games assembled from ready store parts makes it very generic and bad.
Then I remember that getting over it is assembled whole from free trash Foddy found on the internet... and it's glorious.
So ok.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
ultra meh, is it free at least?
Money Hannah GIF by HannahWitton

stuff's just breaking off at pre-determined points.

fully deformable soft-body physics w/ a deformable rigid skeleton inside + physics-based blood (with particles that arent the size of watermelons) would be impressive.

wish consoles had specialized hardware to do stuff like this. sure the gpu or even cpu could run it, but i feel like specialized hardware (like a co-processor) would do a better job, and incentivize devs to try new stuff.
PCs could run the code via brute force power.

Last edited:
stuff's just breaking off at pre-determined points.

fully deformable soft-body physics w/ a deformable rigid skeleton inside + physics-based blood (with particles that arent the size of watermelons) would be impressive.

wish consoles had specialized hardware to do stuff like this. sure the gpu or even cpu could run it, but i feel like specialized hardware (like a co-processor) would do a better job, and incentivize devs to try new stuff.
PCs could run the code via brute force power.

There is no fixed-function hardware that will help you with this kind of computation. You just need more CPU performance, more CPU parallelism, and plenty of very fast RAM.

Top Bottom