• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current State of Halo

Banned
As a mega Halo fan on here, I could not disagree with you more. I live and breath the Halo universe through every piece of media that exists, I buy all the books, physical, audio book, etc. I live for the fiction and the extended universe, and I want 343 to remain on Halo forever. I don't mind other studios doing something in the universe, but they should remain the primary studio because 343i has made the best playing games in the entire franchise with the most interesting stories, and nobody can convince me different.

well, noone can prevent you from being wrong.

343i is a joke in every way possible, and they made the 3 worst Halo games by a mile, especially Infinite, which is a complete disaster

well, noone can prevent you from being wrong.

343i is a joke in every way possible, and they made the 3 worst Halo games by a mile, especially Infinite, which is a complete disaster

I can't possibly take you serious. Nobody who has played Infinite and is a Halo fan would ever take you serious. Complete disaster? That unbelievable campaign? The combat loop in Infinite's Campaign absolutely demolishes that of any other Halo title in existence by a mile.

There's a simple rule when it comes to assessing opinions on Halo. Rule #1 - Don't trust any negative opinion from someone who isn't an actual Halo fan.

The fact that "we" are still talking about Halo is just a testament for the IP.

No one is talking about The zone of killing, or qthe zone where you kill (I don't even remember the name of that IP) .

I can't possibly take you serious. Nobody who has played Infinite and is a Halo fan would ever take you serious. Complete disaster? That unbelievable campaign? The combat loop in Infinite's Campaign absolutely demolishes that of any other Halo title in existence by a mile.

There's a simple rule when it comes to assessing opinions on Halo. Rule #1 - Don't trust any negative opinion from someone who isn't an actual Halo fan.
It's really hard to take him seriously when almost every post he has on Halo has been nearly completely negative. There is more than enough valid criticisms for Halo Infinite, but it does a lot right too.

I've been a long time Halo fan as well, but didn't come on board right away on the OG Xbox until some coworkers invited me to lan party where we had multiple Xbox and TVs hooked up. Prior to that, fps games gave me bad motion sickness. And while Halo:CE did as well, it was very mild and something I soon got used too.

Having played all the Halo titles and having read a lot, not all, of the books, for me Halo Inifinite is a close 2nd gameplay wise only beaten by Halo 5. When it comes to lore, Bungie deserves all the credit for the fantastic universe they've built, but pure storywise Halo 4 and 5 were better than Halo 1-3 for me. Although I liked Halo Reach a lot. Halo Infinite has a good campaign, but really didn't advance the story too much for me probably because what happened to Cortana is played in flashbacks mostly. Newtona is interesting, but I really wanted the OG Cortana back redeemed in some way, but I guess she went too far to be redeemed.

Even being a big fan, Halo Infinite is not in a great place right now. But it is improving, albeit not in a fast enough pace. That said, I'm actually playing more of it now than just a couple of months ago. They're doing better and have high hopes they will do better still.

Last edited:

Louay

about Halo IP let the next mainline halo cook in meantime find a studio to do quality spin off game, may it be a RPG or TPS action adventure halo game. anything as long it's genre that is popular not another rts.

Louay

Hard disagree there. the game falls down as a live service but the campaign is one of the best in the series.
gameplay was great one of the best in the series, i like chief edition here the way he talk or act, music was good but campaign is step down in many ways, the story was ok nothing special, the way telling story was not great, the usage of cutscene was not good, the open world was ok you can tell it has some UBI foundation in it. Joe probably scrapped all Open world nonsense.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Sorry, but in the world we inhabit, there is absolutely no way that Infinite will be capable of offering the level of map quality and map diversity that MCC has (finally) achieved after all these years. Unless the dump all those classic maps into Infinite ASAP, they will be playing catch-up forever.

I hope they don't dump all those classic maps into infinite ever. I used to love playing Halo 2 but I don't want to play Lockout/Blackout again.

I was dismayed to see The Pit get shown recently, it'd be better for me, personally, if Mcc was for all those classics and infinite was for new things.

FireFly

I think they definitely had the staff, but they just put as many hands on deck as possible making sure launch was as strong as possible at the expense of first year content, which was definitely the right decision. It couldn't launch and not be received as well as it was.

All in all, with plenty of other games to play and still being one of the most played games on the system, they were wise to use this year to finish laying out the foundation for all they want to build on all of calendar year 2023. Games don't live or die based on how they launch anymore, especially when the studio is still heavily committed to improving it. Assassin's Creed Odyssey is being played again like it's new launch or something just cause it dropped into Game Pass.

I'm also pretty sure they have a lot more content built that we haven't seen yet, but it doesn't matter if it's complete if the main studio isn't ready to integrate it with the rest of the game. And that's what 343 is trying to do, get the foundation right first. So that's why I support slowing down to properly organize themselves. Winter Update is a great start, they're getting things in people wanted to see at launch, plus they'll be revealing the beta match xp system they promised to work on immediately after launch when people didn't like progression. They said they would work on that and it sounds like they're keeping that promise.
Yeah, a buggy game or a barebones game with barely any new content for a whole year post launch. Those really are the only two choices available, right? I seem to recall some other title called, I think Halo 5, that launched both with more features and destroyed Halo Infinite for new content releases. Presumably this is all part of 343's plan to go backwards with the franchise though? So it's all on track.

I must say as a Halo fan it gives me some pleasure to see you banned. People that genuinely care about the franchise care about correcting 343's missteps.

If you think Infinites campaign was great I don't know what to tell you. Worst Halo campaign by a mile. The gameplay might be great but you literally do the same thing ad nauseum in the game. Same combat encounter, same environment, same bases. It's barren and empty. No set pieces whatsoever. Halo is about variety. It's about going to lots of cool places. It's about having am interesting story that is not delivered just through voice recordings. The open world in a infinite is literally 1 encounter that happens to play out over and over. The game is a shell of a Halo.

Top Bottom