• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current State of Halo

Seems to me that the Master Chief Collection is the most enjoyable Halo experience right now for multiplayer. Big team battle games are consistently good (other than the H4 stuff). It took them quite a few years to get there but its the Halo most players want. I don’t see Infinte ever getting there. Unless infinite allows for someone to make genuinely legit versions of these classic Halo 1/2/3 maps I see no reason to go back to it…

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even if this game was perfect in terms of SP, MP and gameplay Halo will never be as big as it was 10 years ago.

Times have changed. People don’t go for sci-if arena battle kinds of shooters.

No different than Doom, Quake or Unreal. If they had brand new 2022 games that got good reviews, I don’t see gamers dumping COD, Fortnite etc to play shooters that were popular 15 years ago.

Answer me this: If this multiplayer is so lacking (I acknowledge it needs new content, but that is all coming), why is Halo Infinite played by tens of thousands more people than Halo: The Master Chief Collection? And how don't you see Infinite getting there when the same team that fixed MCC is the same team that's going to be working on Halo Infinite? It doesn't make sense.

Cyberpunk is resurgent and is experiencing a player boom. It's still #30 on the most played list on Xbox Live in the USA. Halo Infinite is #18. Halo: MCC isn't in the top 50.

Deathloop that just dropped on Xbox is #21 in the USA.

In Mexico Halo Infinite is #11 most played on Xbox Live. Halo: MCC is #23. In Canada Halo Infinite is #18. Halo MCC is #44.

Anywhere you look except Steam, Halo Infinite has significantly more people playing it than Halo MCC. If you look how high Halo Infinite is on most Xbox Live most played lists across different territories (change territories using the globe at the bottom left of the website and it will update the most played list accordingly) it becomes clear the game could easily have anywhere from 70-120k (if not more - meaning concurrent, so the total number of people playing it is likely a lot higher than that) people playing it collectively. Notice how many games have released, experienced player booms and then fallen off? Halo Infinite has been up and down, but it has consistently been in that top 20-25 range ever since it released.

Random: Halo Infinite is the #1 most played game on xbox live in Afghanistan :messenger_tears_of_joy: (and also in a number of other places around the world, was surprised how many I saw like that) followed closely by efootball 2023 and Forza Horizon 5. Fall Guys is #4. Minecraft is #5. Always interesting to see what different people in different countries are playing.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
it becomes clear the game could easily have anywhere from 70-120k (if not more - meaning concurrent, so the total number of people playing it is likely a lot higher than that) people playing it collectively.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Single player wise, Infinite is possibly the most drab and boring Halo yet. I actually prefer the Halo 5 campaign to Infinite.

I don't think the Halo single player campaign works as a live service game that 343 want to keep running for a decade.

Keep the multiplayer live service, but let another studio have a go at making a new single player campaign. I'm sure id software or Arkane would do a decent job.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I really don't think they will catch the heights of Halo 3, ever again. I think it was the biggest ad campaign for any media, in recent memory.

Graciaus

Answer me this: If this multiplayer is so lacking (I acknowledge it needs new content, but that is all coming), why is Halo Infinite played by tens of thousands more people than Halo: The Master Chief Collection? And how don't you see Infinite getting there when the same team that fixed MCC is the same team that's going to be working on Halo Infinite? It doesn't make sense.

Cyberpunk is resurgent and is experiencing a player boom. It's still #30 on the most played list on Xbox Live in the USA. Halo Infinite is #18. Halo: MCC isn't in the top 50.

Deathloop that just dropped on Xbox is #21 in the USA.

In Mexico Halo Infinite is #11 most played on Xbox Live. Halo: MCC is #23. In Canada Halo Infinite is #18. Halo MCC is #44.

Anywhere you look except Steam, Halo Infinite has significantly more people playing it than Halo MCC. If you look how high Halo Infinite is on most Xbox Live most played lists across different territories (change territories using the globe at the bottom left of the website and it will update the most played list accordingly) it becomes clear the game could easily have anywhere from 70-120k (if not more - meaning concurrent, so the total number of people playing it is likely a lot higher than that) people playing it collectively. Notice how many games have released, experienced player booms and then fallen off? Halo Infinite has been up and down, but it has consistently been in that top 20-25 range ever since it released.

Random: Halo Infinite is the #1 most played game on xbox live in Afghanistan :messenger_tears_of_joy: (and also in a number of other places around the world, was surprised how many I saw like that) followed closely by efootball 2023 and Forza Horizon 5. Fall Guys is #4. Minecraft is #5. Always interesting to see what different people in different countries are playing.
Infinite is not only free but much newer. The only people playing MCC are older people that grew up playing them. The days of Halo dominating are over.

Infinite is not only free but much newer. The only people playing MCC are older people that grew up playing them. The days of Halo dominating are over.

Depends on your definition of "dominating." The first Xbox literally only sold around 24 million units. Even Xbox One more than doubled that. Xbox as a brand is far more popular now than it's ever been compared to the first. There's also a far bigger and more diverse lineup of games competing for any Xbox gamer's time these days. This isn't just a fact in the shooter genre, but in all genres. The truth is Halo "dominated" at a time when there were significantly less gamers in the Xbox eco-system, and when there was far less competition in the space it occupies. Even at the peak for Xbox consoles in terms of units sold there was never a Halo title that did 20 million out the gate the way Halo Infinite did.

Sure, it's nowhere near that right now, but the fact it's still doing as well as it is amidst all the competition it has is mighty damn impressive.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Depends on your definition of "dominating." The first Xbox literally only sold around 24 million units. Even Xbox One more than doubled that. Xbox as a brand is far more popular now than it's ever been compared to the first. There's also a far bigger and more diverse lineup of games competing for any Xbox gamer's time these days. This isn't just a fact in the shooter genre, but in all genres. The truth is Halo "dominated" at a time when there were significantly less gamers in the Xbox eco-system, and when there was far less competition in the space it occupies. Even at the peak for Xbox consoles in terms of units sold there was never a Halo title that did 20 million out the gate the way Halo Infinite did.

Sure, it's nowhere near that right now, but the fact it's still doing as well as it is amidst all the competition it has is mighty damn impressive.
Halos did great on Xbox systems before modern warfare games took off. Halo 3 came out just before COD 4.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

You can't compare a FTP title against a paid for game period. And i'd argue that if it actually did pull more than 20 million ( no reason not to believe this) then its a measure of failure rather than success. That it can't hold onto a fraction of those players speaks volumes. Where you get its doing well from i don't know, and i say this who someone who played daily until a month or so ago.

In the UK where i live its nigh on impossible to get a game of Ranked at certain times of the day, the second most populated playlist according to 343. That is a sign that the game is certainly not doing well and is in fact in serious trouble.

At this point i think they need to go into maintenance mode, sort out the issues, UI and get lots of content in the back pocket for when the rumoured BR mode launches. Then go for a big relaunch say in 12 months time. Because the player base at this point is tiny and only getting smaller.

The interest is there as evidence of the Twitch viewers this weekend shows, and i hope they turn it around but this absolute trickle of content is not the way to go.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Halo is much more than just a game. The series is a cultural touchstone that has become a pillar in the shooter genre. So in honor of the 15th anniversary of Halo 3 this month, I wanted to focus on one of the most influential shooters of all time. These are ten things you never knew about Halo 3.

Stu here to break down the hidden secrets and fun facts about Halo 3. Halo, especially the Bungie-made entries, are regarded as some of the most prestigious shooters in video games. They tell a compelling and highly praised story and offer a plethora of multiplayer options that are bar none in the industry. I love that the devs were able to add some ridiculous secrets and easter eggs in Halo 3. Now all I want to do is get in some crazy gravity hammer battles on Narrows.

STAMPS:
00:00 Intro
00:18 Here Kitty Kitty!
00:58 Bomb Voyage
01:31 Missing Link
02:23 Jason Jones
03:21 Hippos? In My Halo Game?
03:45 Marine Versus Password
04:35 Yeah, Suck it Fronk!
05:18 Ears of The Devil
06:49 Life's A Beach, And We're Just Playin In The Sandbox
07:42 Outro

Halos did great on Xbox systems before modern warfare games took off. Halo 3 came out just before COD 4.

Halo kept doing great on Xbox systems, just not as great as COD, which is okay. Gone are the days when Halo was THE biggest game on Xbox consoles. Halo was just one of the few (or only) high profile and mainstream games that provided a popular multiplayer component and any ability to have a community of sorts on Xbox for a time. That's no longer the case. There's now many communities that exist on Xbox. It's still a very popular game franchise, but it doesn't need to be the most played or popular game to be doing great.

What I would consider bad is if Halo is demonstrating no ability to showcase resilience or staying power amongst the most played games on Xbox Live, and it has indeed been achieving that. Despite the legitimate content and feature delay complaints, it has managed to always be among the most played games across Xbox Live still the whole time, well after major releases like Elden Ring, Dying Light 2 and other games have had their time near the top. It's even above Cyberpunk 2077, a game that has undergone a significant surge in players as of late. Cyberpunk is steadily climbing the Xbox Live most played list, but has yet to pass Halo Infinite. It may in time, but it hasn't yet.

Where was Halo 5 3 years ago on the most played list on Xbox Live? It was #20. Roughly where Halo Infinite is at the moment.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I hope Halo can come back with the leadership change. It may be too late for Infinite but hopefully it's not the end of Halo.

clarky

Gold Member
Halo kept doing great on Xbox systems, just not as great as COD, which is okay. Gone are the days when Halo was THE biggest game on Xbox consoles. Halo was just one of the few (or only) high profile and mainstream games that provided a popular multiplayer component and any ability to have a community of sorts on Xbox for a time. That's no longer the case. There's now many communities that exist on Xbox. It's still a very popular game franchise, but it doesn't need to be the most played or popular game to be doing great.

What I would consider bad is if Halo is demonstrating no ability to showcase resilience or staying power amongst the most played games on Xbox Live, and it has indeed been achieving that. Despite the legitimate content and feature delay complaints, it has managed to always be among the most played games across Xbox Live still the whole time, well after major releases like Elden Ring, Dying Light 2 and other games have had their time near the top. It's even above Cyberpunk 2077, a game that has undergone a significant surge in players as of late. Cyberpunk is steadily climbing the Xbox Live most played list, but has yet to pass Halo Infinite. It may in time, but it hasn't yet.

Where was Halo 5 3 years ago on the most played list on Xbox Live? It was #20. Roughly where Halo Infinite is at the moment.
Being 35th on the most played list is not showcasing resilience as you put it for what should be MS's premier online videogame. Disney Dreamlight Valley whatever the fuck that is has significantly more players and requires a GP sub to play it. Halo HALO ffs is free to play.

Like i said earlier i can't get a game without lengthy wait times in ranked, if at all at certain times of the day in the UK, one of the strongest markets for Halo. I was one of its biggest defenders until they delayed season 3, but there's only so much live fire i can handle.

The game is not doing well you're deluded.

Edit: you said Cyberpunk may pass it in time, well looks like that took about half hour because its now above it lol.

I see its doing a little better in the US, but 19th is not acceptable by any stretch, that disney game is hot on its heels over the pond as well.

Last edited:
The GaaS model was a mistake for Halo. Hopefully new leadership at 343 will correct things.

Why would it be a mistake if they'll prove that they're good at it. They've already proven that much with MCC. And Halo Infinite as a whole was mentioned as a 10 year project or effort from the start. We still don't fully know yet all they have in store and how it will all come together. Clearly the Certain Affinity aspect was a crucial part of the larger project from the start. And of course there's gonna be more campaigns.

Many don't get that Halo MCC was 343i's testbed for everything they're going to do with Infinite, and then some. Either way, I'm not too worried about the GaaS model as I fully expect it will work out for them.

clarky

Gold Member
Why would it be a mistake if they'll prove that they're good at it.
They've already proved they are completely shit at it. Base game was great, if they were good at it we wouldn't be having these discussions.

If MCC was the test bed for infinite then we are fucked for a few more years at least because they've done a damn fine job of fucking it up so far, just like MCC.

Last edited:
Why would it be a mistake if they'll prove that they're good at it. They've already proven that much with MCC. And Halo Infinite as a whole was mentioned as a 10 year project or effort from the start. We still don't fully know yet all they have in store and how it will all come together. Clearly the Certain Affinity aspect was a crucial part of the larger project from the start. And of course there's gonna be more campaigns.

Many don't get that Halo MCC was 343i's testbed for everything they're going to do with Infinite, and then some. Either way, I'm not too worried about the GaaS model as I fully expect it will work out for them.

And the shill strikes again.

They didn't prove shit with MCC. They proved they couldn't do something as simple as create a collection of old games and let it stay broken for *years* until MS forced them to fix it, which still took years to do!

If MCC was a testbed for Infinite, then it was a perfect testbed of showing their incompetence.

Yeah I don’t know what some of you are whining about but MCC seems to be the definitive way to play proper classic H1/2/3 MP hands down. Or I suppose I could fire up xbconnect on my old pc.

Current state of Halo is needs improvement. Solid foundation, but needs more of everything.

With Forge release upcoming, most of that team can be moved towards other projects with only a fraction needed to maintain and iterate on it. They have an announced H3 remade map coming after the November update built in Forge that looks pretty good. And it sounds like new maps or remakes can be done in it fairly quickly.

They've deserved most of the criticism they've gotten, but this game has lots of potential and I think the new team leadership can get it done.
With Bonnie Ross now gone, I think they have a shot at righting the ship of devs there.

I have faith they can do it and am willing to see what comes next.

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah I don’t know what some of you are whining about but MCC seems to be the definitive way to play proper classic H1/2/3 MP hands down. Or I suppose I could fire up xbconnect on my old pc.
Yeah it is now, great package. But it took them years to get there. Fantastic being able to dip in and out of my favorite levels for old times sake.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Even if this game was perfect in terms of SP, MP and gameplay Halo will never be as big as it was 10 years ago.

No different than Doom, Quake or Unreal. If they had brand new 2022 games that got good reviews, I don’t see gamers dumping COD, Fortnite etc to play shooters that were popular 15 years ago.
20 million players checked out Halo Infinite during its launch month. So, this statement is objectively wrong.

Halo Infinite could have been massive, had it launched with a little content that people might enjoy. Had it launched with proper social playlists devoid of the inanely tuned SBMM, with working custom games, working Forge, Campaign co-op, an actual progression system, worthwhile Battle Pass, actual net code that functions, and without the garbage challenge system forcing players to play against their own teams, Halo Infinite would likely have carved out a pretty solid piece of the multiplayer pie. We'll never know, however, because 343i released a broken half finished mess.

Don't misinterpret people shying away from 343i's incompetence as people not being interested in Halo. I think general audiences would absolutely love a great new Halo game, but 343i haven't made one in their twelve years with the franchise.

343, I strongly believe, will significantly improve and make Halo Infinite an even better game come end of calendar year 2023 and for the foreseeable future. And it will have not a single darn thing to do with Bonnie Ross being there or not. 343 studio leadership was never the issue, time was. I would love to see which badass leader (miracle worker) exists who could have possibly gotten 343 as a studio to engineer and solve each and every single one of the challenges they spent much of 2022 solving, and who could have also made it possible for everything launching with the upcoming winter update to launch with the game by December 2021. Wasn't happening.

It was a tough balance between being an important launch game and then abruptly missing that date. Any further delay past 2021 would certainly have benefitted Halo Infinite the game, but it would have significantly harmed Xbox Series X|S as well as Game Pass. So Halo Infinite HAD to launch last year. Once they launched and all that same pressure is no longer there, I don't fault them one tiny bit for having the good sense to slow things down some and gather themselves to keep from ending up in the same position all over again. It may not look good PR wise, but it's totally the right thing to do and better for the game long term. It's far easier to delay season 3 than it is delaying a game that was meant to launch with the console after it has already been delayed a year.

And looked at another way, a delayed Halo Infinite that doesn't launch December 2021 is going up directly against COD: Modern Warfare 2 this holiday.

Danny Devito Smh GIF

Nope. Xbox would have squandered crucial Holiday momentum and Game Pass's growth is very likely impacted.

clarky

Gold Member
343, I strongly believe, will significantly improve and make Halo Infinite an even better game come end of calendar year 2023 and for the foreseeable future. And it will have not a single darn thing to do with Bonnie Ross being there or not. 343 studio leadership was never the issue, time was. I would love to see which badass leader (miracle worker) exists who could have possibly gotten 343 as a studio to engineer and solve each and every single one of the challenges they spent much of 2022 solving, and who could have also made it possible for everything launching with the upcoming winter update to launch with the game by December 2021. Wasn't happening.

It was a tough balance between being an important launch game and then abruptly missing that date. Any further delay past 2021 would certainly have benefitted Halo Infinite the game, but it would have significantly harmed Xbox Series X|S as well as Game Pass. So Halo Infinite HAD to launch last year. Once they launched and all that same pressure is no longer there, I don't fault them one tiny bit for having the good sense to slow things down some and gather themselves to keep from ending up in the same position all over again. It may not look good PR wise, but it's totally the right thing to do and better for the game long term. It's far easier to delay season 3 than it is delaying a game that was meant to launch with the console after it has already been delayed a year.

And looked at another way, a delayed Halo Infinite that doesn't launch December 2021 is going up directly against COD: Modern Warfare 2 this holiday.

Danny Devito Smh GIF

Nope. Xbox would have squandered crucial Holiday momentum and Game Pass's growth is very likely impacted.
Biggest load of nonsense yet. Launch last year when the game was clearly not ready to avoid a game this year? Either way youve got the same result, and it pains me to say, the games fucked.

its going to be another year, minimum, before we start seeing anything like whats approaching a proper live service title. Delaying till march 2023 should have been the play in hindsight. Then well have what 8 or 9 arena maps? what the game needed to stand a chance in the first place.

Last edited:

recma12

Except one game is f2p and the other cost 60€/$ and there was no Xbox on PC, Xcloud or Gamepass propping up numbers.
What person that just got a XSS or XSX wouldn't download Infinite and give it a spin for free?

You understand that the business model for a f2p GaaS title is way different than for a full price game right?

Except one game is f2p and the other cost 60€/$ and there was no Xbox on PC, Xcloud or Gamepass propping up numbers.
What person that just got a XSS or XSX wouldn't download Infinite and give it a spin for free?

You understand that the business model for a f2p GaaS title is way different than for a full price game right?

Yep, I understand the differences, but ever notice how MCC support kept going? How Sea of Thieves support kept going? Typically a lot of companies drop those games, and they never see such strong later years support. We see with Certain Affinity partnering with 343 that the Halo commitment isn't going away. Also, when people factor in f2p GaaS and how different it is from full price games, do make sure to factor in the existence of Game Pass. Not many GaaS have something like Game Pass bringing in the kind of yearly reoccurring revenue like Game Pass clearly is. Halo Infinite is #4 on Game Pass in the United States.

So long as Halo Infinite is holding the attention of Game Pass subscribers it's doing perfectly fine. Can just imagine how crazy Game Pass is going to be once Starfield shows up. That game is going to drive serious traffic towards Game Pass.

It pains me to say it, but this is probably correct. I enjoyed Infinite's SP campaign, and expect there will be more content in the future, but Halo is likely never going to be the MP juggernaut it was a decade ago.

Godot25

Banned
I think that with "delayed" 3rd season 343 hit bottom and only way forward is up.
I genuinely think that 2023 will be great for Halo Infinite. It looks like that from 3rd season onward they will finally hit 3-months season cadence, Tatanka is supposed to be released during season 4 which have potential to be huge and 3rd season will also bring custom game browser.
And since game is free-to-play there is good possibility that game will hit strides even in terms of number of players.

2023 will be make or break year for Infinite. If Tatanka and regular seasons can't bring players back, nothing will.

Top Bottom