• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Desert – Official Gameplay Trailer | gamescom ONL 2023

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Alright, I'm genuinely impressed by that.

The trailer represents an astonishing amount of work, so credit where it's due. Trouble is I'm doubtful that something of that scale and scope doesn't come with an equally large number of caveats and issues both creative and technical.

Definitely has my attention though.

JCK75

So why did you call your game Crimson Desert?

Well.. uhm.. it was called Lush Green fields but that didn't sound as cool.

So is there a Crimson Desert in the game?

Well.. We're still looking into that part.

mortal

Gold Member
Feels like this one has been in development for ages.

This looks pretty cool. Looks like a current-gen Witcher game.

Thief1987

Might be the first game directed by AI. It's just a silly mix of gameplay mechanics from different popular games without any cohesive direction. Looks terrible.

Last edited:

Schmendrick

this trailer sure is a rollercoaster. feels like they threw 10 different game genres in a pot and just started shaking.

Fbh

Looks...weird.
In some ways it looks really cool and gives me more "next gen" vibes than anything Sony/MS have put out (they really need to tone it down with particles and camera shake though)
In other ways it looks a bit like a mess, throwing in what seems like ideas taken straight from a bunch of recent popular games, and I'm not sure if it will really come together as a cohesive whole.

That is, of course, assuming this ever actually comes out and the video is representative of the final product.

How do they achieve this level of detail in character fidelity and other devs aren't able to achieve it in theirs? Maybe there's a few exceptions like Horizon and such. Just interesting to me.
Both nations have some very talented dev studios, but right now it seems they're focused mostly on MMO or live service gacha games, but maybe that's because most big publishing houses in those regions are mostly funding these types of games (e.g. nexon, mihoyo, netease, tencent, krafton, smilegate, etc.). Studios which are not interested in making those types of games have to reach to foreign publishers for funding, like for example the devs behind the upcoming Stellar Blade which signed a publishing deal with Sony.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

What a mess....

Lord Nazgul

Neo Member
Since the reveal trailer, I've been hooked waiting to experience this masterpiece of a game. Hopefully we get the finished product next year and don't get a downgrade. Wonder how much gigs its going to run my PS5 hmm?

Last edited:

kiphalfton

All the people here complaining about it feeling like it's not a cohesive experience; what do you expect?

If anything a game should offer a varied experience and not just "well you're either walking, or you're fighting". Being able to climb, glide, shoot, etc. should really shake things up. As well as having more interactivity with the environment.

Eiknarf

Banned
Isn’t this the ppl that made black desert. Heck some of the towns look the same. If you play black desert. This look pretty believable. Look like they took there black dessert engine and say, let’s make a badass single player game of it
Yeah Wikipedia says

“The game was originally planned as a prequel to Black Desert Online but the development of the game eventually transformed into something else and the game changed to a single player game set in the same universe.”

Eiknarf

Banned
That is the fakest ass game I've ever seen.

The biggest tell is the dragon crashing into the arena and having all the dynamic destruction to the environment

But almost all that trailer is bullshittery..

Classic Korea jank
Wait
Have there been many games made by Korean studios?

Cuz this seems pretty real to me / and they made a game prior

StueyDuck

Wait
Have there been many games made by Korean studios?

Cuz this seems pretty real to me / and they made a game prior
Flipping some old assets and making little videos of random game mechanics isn't impossible and most likely what is being shown here.

I'm sorry but anyone expecting that sort of physics based open world destruction simulation is in for a bad time. There's a reason 99.99% open world games skimp on physics, and even games that do have like the Zelda games don't have dynamic world enviromental destruction thrown on top of it.

Unless they plan on running this in the cloud, I can tell you this is a fake ass trailer with scripted takes designed to fool you into thinking any of it is an actual game

Last edited:

Kurotri

None of this is real, I'd even confidently bet money on that. Korean and Chinese devs simply have yet to prove that they can actually make proper games that aren't just flashy looking. The only games that kind of seem to go in that direction are Black Myth Wukong and Lies of P.

Top Bottom