• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
What are you not getting? There is no consensus about vaccinating children and it's increasingly looking like a bad idea on a population level. This reality does not change just because you live in a country that is recklessly recommending it for ages 12+ and soon to be even lower soon, most likely.
So I will take that as a no. She was not in one of those countries.

Your anti-vax nonsense does nothing to change the facts of the story. Sorry.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

All right, fuck off, dude.

Being against the mass vaccination of children for COVID-19 is in line with the available data. If you're going to call me "anti-vaxx" for that, then so is the government of the United Kingdom.

Nobody_Important

All right, fuck off, dude.

Being against the mass vaccination of children for COVID-19 is in line with the available data. If you're going to call me "anti-vaxx" for that, then so is the government of the United Kingdom.
Sorry that you think children should be on ventilators rather than taking the risk of being vaccinated I guess? Your asinine logic doesn't really work with me. I don't understand where you are coming from tbh.

Also the hostility isn't necessary. We are both adults I assume so we can debate or disagree without telling each other to fuck off.

Last edited:
Sorry that you think children should be on ventilators rather than taking the risk of being vaccinated I guess? Your asinine logic doesn't really work with me. I don't understand where you are coming from tbh.

Also the hostility isn't necessary.

Dude literally from the CDC website, their calculations say more children will end up in the hospital from the vaccine than from covid itself.

A 13 year old teen died from the vaccine. Now I'm not saying covid isn't serious nor am I saying that the vaccine is going to kill or cause serious side effects, but to pretend either side is true is incredibly dumb. I think people using these cases to score political points are disgusting. You are using the death of children to further your agenda. Have some respect/restraint. Saying nonsense like "you think children should be on ventilators" is dumb and you know it.

No one has the answers on this despite what they may claim. It's best to let people make their own decisions and refrain from judging them.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Also the hostility isn't necessary. We are both adults I assume so we can debate or disagree without telling each other to fuck off.

You disingenuously called me "anti-vaxx" despite my opposition being very narrow in scope, and now you accuse me wanting children on ventilators, yet you berate me for using the mean F word? Get lost with your weasel bullshit and "nevermind, it's not worth it" routine that you've repeated at least three times in this very thread. I don't think I've ever been so close to ignoring someone on this board before, but I'll just stop responding to your dishonest garbage after this.

Nobody_Important

You disingenuously called me "anti-vaxx" despite my opposition being very narrow in scope, and now you accuse me wanting children on ventilators, yet you berate me for using the mean F word? Get lost with your weasel bullshit and "nevermind, it's not worth it" routine that you've repeated at least three times in this very thread. I don't think I've ever been so close to ignoring someone on this board before, but I'll just stop responding to your dishonest garbage after this.
If you cannot accept that I have a fundamental disagreement with the way you have approached this pandemic and it's cure then by all means put me on ignore if it will make you feel better about yourself and your position. I will not fault you for it because I have done the same thing in the past many times when it came to people taking stances that I did not agree with. I will only say that until now I considered you to be a fairly reasonable and educated person throughout the time I have interacted with you between now and when the politics section was a still a thing. We may have disagreed with each other more than we agreed on anything, but I never considered you to be someone that you would take this kind of ignorant path when it comes to such a serious issue. You never struck me as someone who would put dogma against real world applications.

Especially in the face of such a sad story as the one that started this exchange. The story was about a woman admitting her mistakes regarding the Covid conspiracies that she was led to believe as her daughter lays nearly dying and all your first response was to bring up the fact that some countries may not advise the application of the vaccine. Despite the fact that as I pointed out she is not in one of those countries. So despite your personal reservations if her mother had not bought into the conspiracy theories (that she herself admitted that she did) her daughter may not have been in this situation.

If you cannot see where I am coming from here then you should put me on ignore or at the very least stop responding to me in this thread because we clearly have no way of seeing eye to eye on what I consider to be a very simple black and white issue. This is not even a debate for me. This is simple fact. If you can't see that then I wish you luck as this pandemic continues further and that is really all I can say.

Last edited:
If you cannot accept that I have a fundamental disagreement with the way you have approached this pandemic and it's cure then by all means put me on ignore if it will make you feel better about yourself and your position. I will not fault you for it because I have done the same thing in the past many times when it came to people taking stances that I did not agree with.

If you cannot see where I am coming from here then you should put me on ignore or at the very least stop responding.

People calling for others to ignore them is a pretty pathetic, sorry that’s the only word that really fits there. If you can’t handle other opinions then ignore yourself please.

Peter Doocy making a complete fool of himself again asking incredibly stupid, loaded questions. What’s the problem?

The problem is the evasive and euphemistic answers. We’re not spying on citizens, just combing through their public info. We’re not censoring, just telling Facebook what’s allowed then they censor it. You were able to swallow that shit at face value?

Edit: fuck it.

Its just not worth the headache at this point.

I didn't get to see what you posted before you edited which is a shame, I really would have liked to see what you wrote. Whether I agreed or disagreed, I like to read other people's opinions.

I don't want to semi-derail the thread or bring up old shit, but seriously man (and I know this is thrown at you all the time) remember how you acted in the Smolley case? Anytime it's brought up you claim to have moved on and become a more nuanced poster but it's the exact same pattern as before. You downright dismiss other posters and demonize them for opposing views (claiming they were racist before, now claiming they are lunatic anti-vaxxers). Hypothetically speaking, if 6 months from now data comes out that it is undeniably worse for kids to take the risk of getting vaccinated over being unvaccinated, is it going to be the same song and dance? You'll claim to have learned something and grown as a person only to revert back to your old ways the next time a hot topic comes along?

I'm not asking you to change your opinions on subjects and neither should anyone else. All I'm asking is you stop demonizing other people for their views and not act downright dismissive over something just because it goes against your political views. That's all.

Nobody_Important

People calling for others to ignore them is a pretty pathetic, sorry that’s the only word that really fits there. If you can’t handle other opinions then ignore yourself please.
I 100% agree, but you seem to have missed the fact that I was not the one that brought up the idea of ignoring someone. Zefah did that himself. Try reading a bit closer next time. Here was his post before I responded to him.

I don't think I've ever been so close to ignoring someone on this board before, but I'll just stop responding to your dishonest garbage after this.

I would not have even brought up the topic if he had not done it himself. Just try to read the exchange a bit closer next time. It's an easy mistake to avoid.

Last edited:
I 100% agree, but you seem to have missed the fact that I was not the one that brought up the idea of ignoring someone. Zefah did that himself. Try reading a bit closer next time.

Just try to read the exchange a bit closer next time. It's an easy mistake to avoid.

Oh I’m familiar with your exchanges, glad you agree :)

So you are admitting that you missed what Zefah said.

Good on you for admitting your mistake. Not everyone is will to do that these days.

Yeah I did miss it. Now having seen it I can see Zefah was frustrated with your bad faith arguments (understandable) and said they almost ignored you because of it. Your response is what it was 🤷🏻‍♂️

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Gaf is smart and we love to destroy theories. Maybe we can poke holes in the lawsuit?
What holes? Did you read the summary page and the titles of each sections? They argue there is no Covid pandemic, that Covid is not a serious or life threatening disease, etc. It’s rubbish lawsuit not worth the paper it’s printed on.

Nobody_Important

Yeah I did miss it. Now having seen it I can see Zefah was frustrated with your bad faith arguments (understandable) and said they almost ignored you because of it. Your response is what it was 🤷🏻‍♂️
Oh come on. You could at least be honest in your argument while you accuse me of being nefarious. Good lord.

CloudNull

Banned
What holes? Did you read the summary page and the titles of each sections? They argue there is no Covid pandemic, that Covid is not a serious or life threatening disease, etc. It’s rubbish lawsuit not worth the paper it’s printed on.
Disease has a 97% survival rate lol. But don’t worry long covid will shrink your penis.

Anyways I removed the post. The people behind filing the lawsuit are questionable at minimum.

The problem is the evasive and euphemistic answers. We’re not spying on citizens, just combing through their public info. We’re not censoring, just telling Facebook what’s allowed then they censor it. You were able to swallow that shit at face value?
1. Public info isn’t ‘spying’. Words matter. Maybe the Biden admin should have sent a friend request? It makes no sense to rule out a public profile belonging to an individual that is spreading misinformation. No different than a group.
2. The Biden admin saying tech companies are responsible for what is shared there is not the same as forcing them to censor content in any way. Facebook has fought back against the criticism.

So yes compared to the previous admins ‘shenanigans’ of mock covid science reports, empty press rooms, and half a million more covid deaths than was necessary, I think this is alright. I don’t give a damn if she is evasive.

vpance

Disease has a 97% survival rate lol. But don’t worry long covid will shrink your penis.

Anyways I removed the post. The people behind filing the lawsuit are questionable at minimum.

It should be making the rounds for the next few days and people will dissect it enough.

But the main claim coming from the CDC whistleblower was already kind of known from published studies done on these reporting systems. Adverse vaccine events tend to go under reported by a lot in general, not just for covid. But if she's legit and has done the math it's eye opening for sure.

1. Public info isn’t ‘spying’. Words matter. Maybe the Biden admin should have sent a friend request? It makes no sense to rule out a public profile belonging to an individual that is spreading misinformation. No different than a group.
2. The Biden admin saying tech companies are responsible for what is shared there is not the same as forcing them to censor content in any way. Facebook has fought back against the criticism.

So yes compared to the previous admins ‘shenanigans’ of mock covid science reports, empty press rooms, and half a million more covid deaths than was necessary, I think this is alright. I don’t give a damn if she is evasive.

Really though? We know the government has far more powerful tools than reading your facebook and they're using them all the time with no oversight. Psaki admitted they're directly feeding facebook orders, and is now trying to walk that back, but you're telling me they're just making companies responsible? Yeah, responsible to the government's definition of misinformation. You can see the problem there, right?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Can someone tel me how Australia is going to get out of this mess? With Adelaide there are 14mln out of 25mln Australians under lockdown. They will never get the cases down to 0, and they locked down Adelaide with 5 cases.

What’s the game plan here? Lock every week till vaccines arrive?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So as some people know I am pretty for the vaccination, but this stuff makes me sometimes do a double take - from new guidelines published by American Academy of Pediatrics - https://services.aap.org/en/news-ro...mmendations-for-opening-schools-in-fall-2021/.

Basically masks for everyone older than 2 years old regardless of vaccination status. It seems not a single parent was consulted for this opinion, since as one I can tell you it's absolutely impossible for a child age 2 to keep the mask on.

sinnergy

So as some people know I am pretty for the vaccination, but this stuff makes me sometimes do a double take - from new guidelines published by American Academy of Pediatrics - https://services.aap.org/en/news-ro...mmendations-for-opening-schools-in-fall-2021/.

Basically masks for everyone older than 2 years old regardless of vaccination status. It seems not a single parent was consulted for this opinion, since as one I can tell you it's absolutely impossible for a child age 2 to keep the mask on.
Yup , impossible.. mine didn’t wear one ..

You're right, my daycare requires a mask for 2+ when entering. The kids rip them off as soon as they are in their rooms, the caretakers can't enforce it.

I know this because my partner stops by to cath our 2 year old everyday and sees it. I am honestly happy that they don't try and enforce it.

Soros and Gates are buying U.K. maker of Covid Tests for $41 Million :messenger_grinning_squinting:...........:messenger_pensive:

Yeah I just don’t get why they would invite that kind of scrutiny. I’m sure there are plenty of other investment firms with $41 million lying around. But maybe this article is just bad framing.

This line of argument is grotesque. The whole article is grotesque. We would never do this about any other disease. You can fuck right off with the whole line you’ve taken with regards to this discussion.

thefool

See, scientific evidence, lock downs are not worse than getting COVID or letting it spread, but I already knew this ..

This is not a scientific-article, if you didn't noticed it btw. There's no study, no methodology, hence it's labelled as a "commentary", not "research" (what you called scientific-evidence).

On the other hand, this is a study, an interesting one as it rips apart most effects-models that are published to support certain measures, and it has some interesting conclusions:

Highlights

Different SIR models developed by the same modeling team on the effectiveness of various non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) for COVID-19 were compared.

The model proposing major benefits from lockdown in European countries had the worse fit to the data.

Models with better fit to the data showed little or no benefit from lockdown.

Inferences on the effects of non-pharmaceutical interventions is non-robust and depend on model specification and selection.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Can someone tel me how Australia is going to get out of this mess? With Adelaide there are 14mln out of 25mln Australians under lockdown. They will never get the cases down to 0, and they locked down Adelaide with 5 cases.

What’s the game plan here? Lock every week till vaccines arrive?

Vaccinations, and dropping the ridiculous zero Covid strategy, are their only way out. Until then… endless lockdown. Fine by me at this point to be honest. The dollar will weaken against the pound and I’ll have more cash the next time I go back (whenever the fuck that will be).

Last edited:

thefool

Nightclub is a private property and a business, subject to rules and regulations. It’s hardly what you will describe as ‘freedom of movement’.

You're opening a can of worms. Next you're going to tell me discriminating over gender and skin color is acceptable under private ownership.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
You're opening a can of worms. Next you're going to tell me discriminating over gender and skin color is acceptable under private ownership.
Willy Wonka Suspense GIF

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
The below is from an online blog I read.

Israel has one of the highest vaccine-acceptance rates in the world, and started vaccinating its population in earnest earlier than nearly every other country. Yet, according to Israeli figures released over the weekend, infections there have increased by over THIRTY TIMES during the last month. More curiously, hospitalizations — serious cases — are up more than thirteen times in the same period of time.
So, in actual numbers, during June the country was averaging about five hospitalizations per week. Last week there were sixty-eight (68).
While the numbers are still much lower than at Israel’s peak, the trend is in the wrong direction for a country that has vaccinated so many of its citizens. Clearly Israel is entering a new Covid wave, and the emerging hospitalization data strongly suggests that the vaccines are NOT, as the CDC claims, preventing serious cases in any significant way.
The Israeli government has abandoned hope that the vaccines are any kind of Holy Grail or miracle cure for Covid. “Anyone who hoped that vaccines on their own would solve the problem — they won’t,” Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said at an emergency meeting in Tel Aviv attended by ministers, health officials, national security council members, police and the military.
Bennet explained that, after six months of experience with them, the Israelis still have no idea how much the vaccines help reduce Covid, but the data does not appear to show any measurable helpful effects. “We don’t know exactly to what extent the vaccine helps, but it is significantly less [than expected] … We all hope to see a slowdown, but the facts at the moment are that there isn’t a slowdown — not here and not around the world.”

The SAGE group presented a regular report to the UK government on July 7, and included a point clarifying that it is the LEAKY VACCINES and the vaxx people — not the naturally-immune people — that are the risks for creating more difficult variants. Quoting the report:
> A “Combination of high prevalence and high levels of vaccination creates conditions in which an immune escape variant is most likely to emerge.”

The tiny country of Gibraltar was the most-vaccinated country in the world, having fully vaccinated every single eligible citizen by April. But now, 2.5 months later, Gibraltar has the third highest per-capita rate of Covid infection on Earth. Over 80% of Gilbraltar’s Covid cases over the past two days are in folks who were “fully” vaccinated.
Apparently, 100% vaccination does NOT lead to zero Covid.
This ominous sounding blog post isn’t so ominous when you add real numbers

As for Gibraltar, what vaccine were they using?

Raven117

Gold Member

I would urge you to reevaluate how you view the first amendment. This post shows you fundamentally don’t understand it. Moreover please reconsider how you view a government wielding this power. I think you will find you really don’t want this

FunkMiller

Gold Member

That‘s not the same as unvaccinated people though. People have a choice to get vaccinated, and there’s no good reason not to.

A private business may feel it is a risk to allow unvaccinated people in - a risk backed up by the evidence. That’s their right.

thefool

That‘s not the same as unvaccinated people though. People have a choice to get vaccinated, and there’s no good reason not to.

A private business may feel it is a risk to allow unvaccinated people in - a risk backed up by the evidence. That’s their right.

It's not a private business right to restrict the liberties of citizens, even taking into account possible risks. I would be pretty surprised if there's even one legal framework worldwide (in a democratic country) in which you can frame such restrictions.

But lets into account your suggestion, one can easily construct other type of risks assessments that could lead to restrictions based on it. Would you also be comfortable that private businesses like nightclubs restrict citizens with criminal records? Recidivism is very well documented, backed by evidence and poses a tangible risk (and it's easily measurable). Where do we limit "private business feels"?

Finally, to impose such restrictions you would need a clear risk assessment, which right now is undefined as we still know very little about asymptomatic spreading (about this subject, WHO has updated their guidelines to advise against asymptomatic testing outside of health and nurse-homes personnel, https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-lab-testing-2021.1-eng), along clear risk targets (which would require knowing the health history of every single individual, namely their possible cross-immunization against Sars-cov2 ).

I do want to note one thing. I would love that we could have std-testing on nightclubs, last one I caught took 6 months to fucking clear. Even herpes alone would be very helpful.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
France just went to 18 000 new cases a day, up 150% within a week. Let's see if I will still be able to have my vacation three weeks from now LOL.

You know what I find strange? Remember when we were arguing that vaccines were more effective that infection acquired immunity? I’m reading a lot about breakthrough infections and some vaccinated people in the hospital. Not a lot about previously infected people though. Maybe it’s happening and we just aren’t hearing about it. Either that, or we can put the debate about vaccines vs natural immunity to bed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You know what I find strange? Remember when we were arguing that vaccines were more effective that infection acquired immunity? I’m reading a lot about breakthrough infections and some vaccinated people in the hospital. Not a lot about previously infected people though. Maybe it’s happening and we just aren’t hearing about it. Either that, or we can put the debate about vaccines vs natural immunity to bed.

Last year, before the vaccines, you saw extremely rare reports of reinfection. As soon as the vaccines became widely available, though, previous infection status was no longer even considered. You were either "vaccinated" or "unvaccinated." Those are the only two categories.

Last year, before the vaccines, you saw extremely rare reports of reinfection. As soon as the vaccines became widely available, though, previous infection status was no longer even considered. You were either "vaccinated" or "unvaccinated." Those are the only two categories.
Isn’t that strange. But what I’m really referring to are the anecdotal cases like the ones that keep getting posted here about “unvaccinated 20-something dying of covid”. I would think that since the media is cherry picking, they’d be desperate to find someone who had covid last fall, didn’t get the vaccine, and now has it again and is hospitalized. I’m sure there are a few cases. But I highly doubt they’re in the numbers we are seeing with vaccinated individuals.

Top Bottom