• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

RAÏSanÏa

Now that the embedded covid protests of 1.5 million people and 50,000 trucks* have all been logged and dispersed in Canada with careful use of pressure there appears to be a new one forming in the US now.

It'll be interesting to see how far it gets and how it's dealt with.
Read there was one in NZ that's wrapping up soon.

Haven't cared too much to look at other countries or their troubles with these or opinions on the matter as its internal. Which nations are getting these and which already dealt with them?

*bullshit number spread at the start by confused fanatics trying to make their little selves look big. It was about 200 trucks, a bunch of cars and 4000 people. Many were religious zealots who by their requests of the Governor-General appear to be howling the cacophony of symphonia under their wool coverings.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
kmQHOVE.png

clem84

Gold Member
How can these numbers be explained?

jATnWyj.jpg

About this data​

For COVID-19 cases by vaccination status, vaccination status is limited to Health Canada approved vaccines.

Rate per 100,000 (7-day average) is the average rate of COVID-19 cases per 100,000 for each vaccination status for the previous 7 days as noted.

Rate of COVID-19 cases per 100,000 is calculated by dividing the number of cases for a vaccination status, by the total number of people with the same vaccination status, and then multiplying by 100,000.

How can the infection rate be higher in vaccinated folks? At first I thought it's because the % of vaccinated people is very high so lots of new infections will be breakthrough cases, but this is a per 100,000 rate for all the different categories. If the vaccines were completely ineffective (they just did nothing), the rate would be the same. How can # of cases be consistently higher for vaccinated, week after week since Feb. 25th. This is really puzzling.

Last edited:

dem

Finally caught Covid.
Triple vaxed. Tested positive Saturday evening. So far it’s been a little bit of a sore throat and a headache. Head feels stuffy, but I can breathe through my nose.. 🤷‍♂️

In normal times I would definitely still be at work. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Last edited:
Finally caught Covid.
Triple vaxed. Tested positive Saturday evening. So far it’s been a little bit of a sore throat and a headache. Head feels stuffy, but I can breathe through my nose.. 🤷‍♂️

In normal times I would definitely still be at work. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.
When was the last shot? Me and the gf got ours mid December. I'm starting to get a little worried about infection.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

jATnWyj.jpg

How can the infection rate be higher in vaccinated folks? At first I thought it's because the % of vaccinated people is very high so lots of new infections will be breakthrough cases, but this is a per 100,000 rate for all the different categories. If the vaccines were completely ineffective (they just did nothing), the rate would be the same. How can # of cases be consistently higher for vaccinated, week after week since Feb. 25th. This is really puzzling.
Probably because the most at risk groups, elderly etc are more likely to have gotten vaccinated and are more likely to get sick enough to get tested.

Urban

Finally caught Covid.

Hey I got it too on Saturday.
Im also 3 time vaccinated (last one end of January ) and the last 2 days were pretty bad.
High fever, can’t breathe though nose and a sore thread.

They did a PCR Test on Saturday, which to my suprise came out negativ this evening . My Selftest at home shows me positiv.
I’m feeling better now since the fever is gone but it was the last 2 days were pretty bad.

Get well soon

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
A depressing article that at this point should only be a reflective piece - but the US is still experiencing high COVID death tolls thanks to anti-vaxxers:

Some of the more painful parts:

The united states reported more deaths from COVID-19 last Friday than deaths from Hurricane Katrina, more on any two recent weekdays than deaths during the 9/11 terrorist attacks, more last month than deaths from flu in a bad season, and more in two years than deaths from HIV during the four decades of the AIDS epidemic. At least 953,000 Americans have died from COVID, and the true toll is likely even higher because many deaths went uncounted. COVID is now the third leading cause of death in the U.S., after only heart disease and cancer, which are both catchall terms for many distinct diseases. The sheer scale of the tragedy strains the moral imagination.

In a study of 29 high-income countries, the U.S. experienced the largest decline in life expectancy in 2020 and, unlike much of Europe, did not bounce back in 2021. It was also the only country whose lowered life span was driven mainly by deaths among people under 60. Dying from COVID robbed each American of about a decade of life on average. As a whole, U.S. life expectancy fell by two years—the largest such decline in almost a century. Neither World War II nor any of the flu pandemics that followed it dented American longevity so badly.

Every American who died of COVID left an average of nine close relatives bereaved. Roughly 9 million people—3 percent of the population—now have a permanent hole in their world that was once filled by a parent, child, sibling, spouse, or grandparent. An estimated 149,000 children have lost a parent or caregiver.

dem

Day 5
Headache and sore throat were already gone yesterday. I have a SLIGHT case of the sniffles. Still testing a strong positive.. 😡

jATnWyj.jpg

It's possible that vaxxed people engage in risky behaviour more often than unvaxxed people because of the reduced risk perception. That said, it's also possible that the confidence intervals overlap (they're not shown here) and the results aren't significantly different, in which case the data would just show that the vaccined don't help vs a symptomatic omicron infection.

sinnergy

I don’t think I can get it 🤡 I had a virus 20 years ago that was wearing on me for 3 years .. I am probably natural immune. I meet people , sat in rooms with people that a day later tested positive!

Last edited:
A depressing article that at this point should only be a reflective piece - but the US is still experiencing high COVID death tolls thanks to anti-vaxxers:

Some of the more painful parts:
It's not antivaxxer. It's the bad health of those people and the top heavy healtcare system in the US.

We have the same non vaccinated rate in Germany an not even close the death number, because the non vaccinated are in good health conditions and we have a broad health care system that provides everyone the same.

Of course if you're in bad health and have not great access to Healthcare, you should get vaccinated. But it's especially those demographics that don't get vaccinated. But the healthy and those with good access to health care get vaccinated.

It's exactly the wrong way. You can't really do much against that. It's super unfortunate.

RAÏSanÏa

After careful management over the last couple years, which has reduced the malefic effects of the pandemic, most of the restrictions have now been removed in my region.

Vaxx pass to be ended on the anniversary of the first day of the writing of the Book of the Law.

Very satisfied with how the response was handled here by professionals, leaders, and our responsible citizens locally and nationally.

Last edited:
I tested positive for the first time weds. Very mild symptoms cough, stuffed up nose and some chills but I could easily go to work. Triple vaxxed and am shocked people are actually dieing to this variant, must have had one foot in the door already if it killed them.

jATnWyj.jpg

The vaccine has negative efficacy with Omicron. It can also be seen in Israel and Danemark data. Beware as it can only be seen when "unvaccinated" really means "not received any vaccine even recently".

I read some doctors say it's because of "facilitating antibodies". Remember that this vaccine has being designed to treat the first variant of the disease, long gone now. There has being many mutations up to now.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You don't even take the 10% higher minor population of the US into account.
Compare adults only and it`s virtually the same.

You can look up the data for Germany here:
https://vaccinetracker.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#uptake-tab
You can look up the data for the US here:
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations_vacc-total-admin-rate-total

88% vs 90% at least 1 dose.
Infectious diseases don't only infect adults and children are also vectors of transmission too.

clem84

Gold Member
The vaccine has negative efficacy with Omicron. It can also be seen in Israel and Danemark data. Beware as it can only be seen when "unvaccinated" really means "not received any vaccine even recently".

I read some doctors say it's because of "facilitating antibodies". Remember that this vaccine has being designed to treat the first variant of the disease, long gone now. There has being many mutations up to now.

This almost sounds like conspiracy talk to me. If so, this is shocking and the health authorities of every country on earth should stop recommending to get vaccinated. Unless the situation is that infection is more likely if vaccinated, but hospitalizations and deaths are still less likely, which would make no sense to me. btw, the original form of the virus and all variants until Delta are still around and always will be, but they're (significantly?) less common now.

I've looked around and I haven't seen any data pointing to a higher infection rate among vaccinated, besides Ontario.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's not antivaxxer. It's the bad health of those people and the top heavy healtcare system in the US.

We have the same non vaccinated rate in Germany an not even close the death number, because the non vaccinated are in good health conditions and we have a broad health care system that provides everyone the same.

Of course if you're in bad health and have not great access to Healthcare, you should get vaccinated. But it's especially those demographics that don't get vaccinated. But the healthy and those with good access to health care get vaccinated.

It's exactly the wrong way. You can't really do much against that. It's super unfortunate.

Germany has a fully vaccinated rate of over 75% compared to 65% in the US. Only 0.75% in Germany are partially vaccinated, compared to over 11% in the US.

The healthcare system is not to blame. The major factor in COVID death rates in any nation since the vaccines became available has been the vaccination rate. I hate that I even have to explain this to anyone after all this time. I usually wouldn't bother but you're at least reasonable, and not a screeching drive by poster like the typical anti-vaxxer.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Germany has a fully vaccinated rate of over 75% compared to 65% in the US. Only 0.75% in Germany are partially vaccinated, compared to over 11% in the US.

The healthcare system is not to blame. The major factor in COVID death rates in any nation since the vaccines became available has been the vaccination rate. I hate that I even have to explain this to anyone after all this time. I usually wouldn't bother but you're at least reasonable, and not a screeching drive by poster like the typical anti-vaxxer.

It's not like in Hong Kong they're now seeing a disastrous increase in covid deaths because of low vaccination rates, or anything...

Oh no, wait.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Comparisons across countries are tricky because of differences in counting COVID deaths. I see death certificates for people who have died in connection with my job, and in my state, there are up to four causes of death listed. For most elderly people, the doctor lists 2-3 causes, one of which will be Covid if they tested positive.

The life expectancy drop in the US is mostly due to obesity I think. Covid and opiates also play large roles of course, and they all interact together too.

Edit: the US population is much older, fatter, and sicker than in the 20s or 40s. The "body positivity" movement will ultimately kill more people than anti-vaxxers.

cosmo-745x471.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Comparisons across countries are tricky because of differences in counting COVID deaths. I see death certificates for people who have died in connection with my job, and in my state, there are up to four causes of death listed. For most elderly people, the doctor lists 2-3 causes, one of which will be Covid if they tested positive.

The life expectancy drop in the US is mostly due to obesity I think. Covid and opiates also play large roles of course, and they all interact together too.

Edit: the US population is much older, fatter, and sicker than in the 20s or 40s. The "body positivity" movement will ultimately kill more people than anti-vaxxers.

cosmo-745x471.jpg
Like sheep being led to slaughter. A medical stressing, treatment cow for life, slaughter. And business is booming.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

cosmo-745x471.jpg
Let's be fair America got fat way before the body positivity movement. The body positivity movement is a reaction to America getting obese and is just a way to keep selling over priced designer shit to fat people.

Infectious diseases don't only infect adults and children are also vectors of transmission too.
You have to compare countries with a comparable demographic. And the US and Germany don't have a comparable demographic at all.
France is a little closer.

Different age groups have different vaccination rates
RPUwROO.png

Total population vaccination rate is a worse metric than comparing the same age groups.
Especially as healthy minors should not necessarily get vaccinated against Covid anyways. Just not much benefit to it, if any.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

cosmo-745x471.jpg
They are also quite profitable to the medical industrial complex.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The life expectancy drop in the US is mostly due to obesity I think.
No. If that was the case, the life expectancy would have been dropping from a long time ago since the US has had an obesity problem for a long time. It's no coincidence that our life expectancy started dropping once COVID hit.

It's also no coincidence that the countries that had the most protective interventions against COVID had the least decline.

Total population vaccination rate is a worse metric than comparing the same age groups.
You are getting lost in the weeds. The initial argument you made was that healthcare quality and not anti-vaxxers was the main cause of the differences in death tolls. Yes, different age groups have different vaccination rates. So what? You need to explain the link as to how you reach your conclusion, otherwise you're just stating arbitrary unconnected data points.

Total vaccination rates in the USA are worse than Germany. General healthcare is the USA is worse than Germany. COVID deaths are higher in the USA than in Germany. So, how do we determine which is the bigger factor? Well, for one thing, we can see what the deaths per capita are for unvaccinated people vs vaccinated people.

Not only in the United States, but in every other country in the world, unvaccinated people die at a higher rate than unvaccinated people. This has been observed over billions of people already.

CaoxION.png

Especially as healthy minors should not necessarily get vaccinated against Covid anyways. Just not much benefit to it, if any.
Very very wrong. Healthy minors should get vaccinated against COVID19. There is a huge benefit not only to them but to the people they interact with.

Why Children and Teens Should Get Vaccinated for COVID-19​

There are approximately 28 million children between the ages of 5 and 11 years old in the United States, and there have been nearly 2 million cases of COVID-19 within this age group during the pandemic. COVID-19 can make children very sick and cause children to be hospitalized. In some situations, the complications from infection can lead to death.
Children are as likely to be infected with COVID-19 as adults and can

• Get very sick from COVID-19
  • Have both short and long-term health complications from COVID-19
  • Spread COVID-19 to others, including at home and school
As of mid-October 2021, children ages 5 through 11 years have experienced more than 8,300 COVID-19 related hospitalizations and nearly 100 deaths from COVID-19. In fact, COVID-19 ranks as one of the top 10 causes of death for children ages 5 through 11 years.

Children who get infected with COVID-19 can also develop serious complications like multisystem inflammatory syndrome (MIS-C)—a condition where different body parts become inflamed, including the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, skin, eyes, or gastrointestinal organs. Since the pandemic began, more than 2,300 cases of MIS-C have been reported in children ages 5 through 11 years. Children with underlying medical conditions are more at risk for severe illness from COVID-19 compared with children without underlying medical conditions.

Liljagare

New variant on the rise, called Deltakron. Not much known about it, apart from, its spreading rapidly in Europe.

It seems it was first found in Cyprus..

Guileless

No. If that was the case, the life expectancy would have been dropping from a long time ago since the US has had an obesity problem for a long time. It's no coincidence that our life expectancy started dropping once COVID hit.
Life expectancy in the US started dropping in 2018 prior to the pandemic. The decline accelerated in 2020.

But again, it's all related because overweight people with diabetes and other health problems associated with metabolic syndrome were easy fodder for Covid, and the US has a lot more of that type than most countries.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Life expectancy in the US started dropping in 2018 prior to the pandemic. The decline accelerated in 2020.

But again, it's all related because overweight people with diabetes and other health problems associated with metabolic syndrome were easy fodder for Covid, and the US has a lot more of that type than most countries.
No, that's not accurate. Life expectancy in 2018 was up, and the start of the decline from the all time high in 2014 was not obesity related but drug related (opioid crisis).

Life expectancy in the U.S. and peer countries has generally been increasing from 1980-2019. While life expectancy in the United States decreased from its all-time high of 78.9 years after 2014 (driven by increase in overdose deaths), life expectancy increased in 2018 and 2019 and was back up to 78.8 years in 2019. Life expectancy increased in all comparable countries from 2018 to 2019.

Life expectancy at birth decreased in most peer countries in 2020 due to COVID-19. In contrast, life expectancy went up in Australia and Japan in 2020. These two countries’ successes in managing COVID-19 infections led to the lowest rates of COVID-19 mortality in 2020 among peer countries.

rMuMo8W.png

FireFly

When you control for differences between the vaccinated and unvaccinated groups through proper randomisation, you find that two doses have low but not negative effectiveness, and 3 doses have substantial effectiveness.

"No effect against the omicron variant was noted from 20 weeks after two ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 doses, whereas vaccine effectiveness after two BNT162b2 doses was 65.5% (95% confidence interval [CI], 63.9 to 67.0) at 2 to 4 weeks, dropping to 8.8% (95% CI, 7.0 to 10.5) at 25 or more weeks. Among ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 primary course recipients, vaccine effectiveness increased to 62.4% (95% CI, 61.8 to 63.0) at 2 to 4 weeks after a BNT162b2 booster before decreasing to 39.6% (95% CI, 38.0 to 41.1) at 10 or more weeks. Among BNT162b2 primary course recipients, vaccine effectiveness increased to 67.2% (95% CI, 66.5 to 67.8) at 2 to 4 weeks after a BNT162b2 booster before declining to 45.7% (95% CI, 44.7 to 46.7) at 10 or more weeks."

Guileless

No, that's not accurate. Life expectancy in 2018 was up, and the start of the decline from the all time high in 2014 was not obesity related but drug related (opioid crisis).
I see - it has declined from an all-time high reached in 2014, with a few ticks up from lower levels in 2018 and 2019. And then another steep drop in 2020 due to pandemic.

Top Bottom