• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

dem

I noticed chest tightness/pain for a few days after the vaccine.

Now after recovering from Covid I’m noticing the same symptom.

Kilau

Gold Member
Fauci talking again. New variant of omicron headed to US. 80% more transmissible than regular omicron.

Is anyone going to tune in for another season of Covid?

RAÏSanÏa

Fauci talking again. New variant of omicron headed to US. 80% more transmissible than regular omicron.

Will watch the stats but not expecting many provincial mandates to return or an increase in care for the covid sick through means like suspending other services. Responsibility is most likely going to be on people to be vaccinated and boosted through this one while wearing masks at own discretion. Careful people know what to do now. Businesses, schools and other public spaces can set their own mandates.
If this variant is another wave that's acceptable for me.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
Will watch the stats but not expecting many provincial mandates to return or an increase in care for the covid sick through means like suspending other services. Responsibility is most likely going to be on people to be vaccinated and boosted through this one while wearing masks at own discretion. Careful people know what to do now. Businesses, schools and other public spaces can set their own mandates.
If this variant is another wave that's acceptable for me.
I would expect a ton of pushback if restrictions are attempted here again. I hope this variant is the proof we are fully in endemic mode.

sinnergy

Probably not .. but they have to when they get sick 😷🤡 most people think they are iron man.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
For one negative study about Ivermectin, you'll find 10 positives studies about it.
Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Shai-Tan

Banned
lol, I haven't seen anyone boost ivermectin in a while. It was never especially promising and the fact that few still talk about it suggest most have conceded that

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Probably not enough here for it's own thread, but it is interesting to see an approximate value.

Obesity Prevalence Among U.S. Adults During the COVID-19 Pandemic​

Introduction​

As the COVID-19 pandemic unfolded, several studies collected small and relatively homogenous samples to track U.S. adult obesity rates and obesity-related risk factors. In this study, a much larger sample from a nationally representative survey was used to investigate changes in average BMI, obesity prevalence rates, and 4 obesity-related risk factors in the U.S. adult population during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Methods​

Using a large nationally representative sample of U.S. adults aged ≥20 years from the 2011–2020 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, linear regression models estimated intra-pandemic changes in average BMI and obesity prevalence rates as well as 4 obesity-related risk factors.

Results​

Relative to the 2019 to prepandemic 2020 period, significantly higher average BMI (+0.6%, p<0.05, N=3,555,865) and obesity prevalence rates (+3%, p<0.05, N=3,555,865) were observed among U.S. adults during the COVID-19 pandemic. Significantly higher rates of any exercise participation (+4.4%, p<0.01, N=3,607,272), average sleep hours in a 24-hour period (+1.5%, p<0.01, N=1,907,798), average alcoholic drink days in the past month (+2.7%, p<0.05, N=3,577,090), and lower rates of smoking at least some days (−4%, p<0.01, N=3,625,180) were also observed.

Conclusions​

During the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. adult obesity rates were higher and worsened the pre-existing epidemic of adult obesity in the U.S. Higher rates of alcohol consumption and lower smoking rates may have contributed to the higher rates of adult obesity in the U.S during the COVID-19 pandemic.

WoJ

Probably not enough here for it's own thread, but it is interesting to see an approximate value.

Obesity Prevalence Among U.S. Adults During the COVID-19 Pandemic​

Introduction​

As the COVID-19 pandemic unfolded, several studies collected small and relatively homogenous samples to track U.S. adult obesity rates and obesity-related risk factors. In this study, a much larger sample from a nationally representative survey was used to investigate changes in average BMI, obesity prevalence rates, and 4 obesity-related risk factors in the U.S. adult population during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Methods​

Using a large nationally representative sample of U.S. adults aged ≥20 years from the 2011–2020 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, linear regression models estimated intra-pandemic changes in average BMI and obesity prevalence rates as well as 4 obesity-related risk factors.

Results​

Relative to the 2019 to prepandemic 2020 period, significantly higher average BMI (+0.6%, p<0.05, N=3,555,865) and obesity prevalence rates (+3%, p<0.05, N=3,555,865) were observed among U.S. adults during the COVID-19 pandemic. Significantly higher rates of any exercise participation (+4.4%, p<0.01, N=3,607,272), average sleep hours in a 24-hour period (+1.5%, p<0.01, N=1,907,798), average alcoholic drink days in the past month (+2.7%, p<0.05, N=3,577,090), and lower rates of smoking at least some days (−4%, p<0.01, N=3,625,180) were also observed.

Conclusions​

During the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. adult obesity rates were higher and worsened the pre-existing epidemic of adult obesity in the U.S. Higher rates of alcohol consumption and lower smoking rates may have contributed to the higher rates of adult obesity in the U.S during the COVID-19 pandemic.

I have gained 35 pounds since covid started. I was probably about 15 to 20 pounds overweight to begin with. Between the anxiety, depression, and general stress I've felt since this all started one way I coped was food. I'm trying to turn it around now, but it isn't easy.

I have gained 35 pounds since covid started. I was probably about 15 to 20 pounds overweight to begin with. Between the anxiety, depression, and general stress I've felt since this all started one way I coped was food. I'm trying to turn it around now, but it isn't easy.
Sorry to hear that. Not just for covid concerns for general well being. Being 50 lbs overweight is something you can fix though. Just make sure you’re going in the right direction. You’re at a tipping point. Either it gets better or it gets a lot worse.

I could give you advice, but you might already know what you have to do. All I’ll say is losing weight is almost all diet. Exercise is great for changing body composition. But losing weight starts with what you eat.

Reactions: WoJ

WoJ

Sorry to hear that. Not just for covid concerns for general well being. Being 50 lbs overweight is something you can fix though. Just make sure you’re going in the right direction. You’re at a tipping point. Either it gets better or it gets a lot worse.

I could give you advice, but you might already know what you have to do. All I’ll say is losing weight is almost all diet. Exercise is great for changing body composition. But losing weight starts with what you eat.
Yeah, that's where I struggle. But I am working on it. I appreciate the supportive words.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Is there a scientifically backed reason why the schools and kids are being the last ones let off the mask mandates when [at least I think it’s almost universally accepted as true] that kids are at far less risk than adults for pretty much anything COVID related?

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Is there a scientifically backed reason why the schools and kids are being the last ones let off the mask mandates when [at least I think it’s almost universally accepted as true] that kids are at far less risk than adults for pretty much anything COVID related?
just a guess but public schools is where most everyone gonna get infected from.. might as well try to contain it there? kids mingling and bringing it home

we have vaccines. it's over

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Such a relief to walk around stores with no masks anymore. It's new kind of thing in Ontario the past few weeks. But most people still wear masks due to safety issues or habit. I took mine off. But I'd say maybe about 3/4 of people still wear masks.

Our work is going to be allowing coming back to the office. News coming soon from execs. It was one of things where they'd keep delaying it, but this time it's supposed to be real. Cant wait to go back hybrid and see people I havent seen in person in two years.

I know some people are hardlined they dont want to go back unless forced to. I'm the opposite, I want to go back half the week with totally optional visits to the office next winter. There's only so much sitting at home.

Pakoe

Gold Member
Yeah, that's where I struggle. But I am working on it. I appreciate the supportive words.
Being aware of your weak points is a good thing. Next step is making a habit of disciplining yourself into following the plan.
I wish you all the best in your journey.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

If it gets bad in my city again I'll just get another booster when I am able and wear a mask, but I am over quarantining, avoiding public spaces, and following COVID news on my aggregators and Twitter. If I get it again, I get it again, fuck it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The city of Philadelphia and some American colleges have reintroduced indoor mask mandates.

ICU occupancy rose to over 70% in six large hospitals (in terms of beds) in Philly, and over 60% in six others, with COVID-19 hospitalizations being a significant portion. There's only 21 hospitals in the county with several of those being specialty centers (cancer, eye, orthopedic) and hence having no ICU beds. So, it's expected along with other measures in an attempt to avoid the system from being overwhelmed again within the area.

Last edited:

TylerD

My friend (52) and I (38) started symptoms of Covid on our Florida trip to Disney World and the Universal Parks the first week of April. He was running a couple of days ahead of me on the symptom schedule. I'm vaccinated and boosted with Moderna. He is vaccinated and boosted too.

We met at airport in Houston and flew out Saturday morning the 2nd. He and I thought it was just bad allergies at first. My symptoms started as a tickle in the throat on Wednesday the 6th and then sinus pressure and headaches and chest congestion developed on Thursday followed by low grade fever, muscle aches and fatigue and sinus drainage by Friday night. I felt like garbage Saturday morning before our flight back. He tested positive with home kit on Saturday afternoon and lab PCR that he took Tuesday. my drainage was gone by Sunday. I took home test Sunday and tested positive. Fever was gone Monday. Brain fog and lethargy, basically useless zombie mode which were my worst side effects from 2nd vaccine shot and booster lasted until early Thursday morning the 14th and I still have a little bit of chest congestion and a minor cough and not feeling 100% yet. Didn't lose my sense of taste or smell.

I'm 38, 6ft 175lbs and in good health and shape. He is overweight but active and has lost a lot of weight in the past half a year. He seems to be about the same as me in symptoms at this point but less congestion. Definitely not a pleasant experience.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
My friend (52) and I (38) started symptoms of Covid on our Florida trip to Disney World and the Universal Parks the first week of April. He was running a couple of days ahead of me on the symptom schedule. I'm vaccinated and boosted with Moderna. He is vaccinated and boosted too.

We met at airport in Houston and flew out Saturday morning the 2nd. He and I thought it was just bad allergies at first. My symptoms started as a tickle in the throat on Wednesday the 6th and then sinus pressure and headaches and chest congestion developed on Thursday followed by low grade fever, muscle aches and fatigue and sinus drainage by Friday night. I felt like garbage Saturday morning before our flight back. He tested positive with home kit on Saturday afternoon and lab PCR that he took Tuesday. My fever was gone by Saturday afternoon, drainage gone by Sunday. I took home test Sunday and tested positive. Brain fog and lethargy, basically zombie mode which were my worst side effects from 2nd vaccine shot and booster lasted until early Thursday morning the 14th and I still have a little bit of chest congestion and a minor cough and not feeling 100% back yet. Didn't lose my sense of taste or smell.

I'm 38, 6ft 175lbs and in good health and shape. He is overweight but active and has lost a lot of weight in the past half a year. He seems to be about the same as me in symptoms at this point but less congestion. Definitely not a pleasant experience.

Glad to hear you came through relatively unscathed

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

We met at airport in Houston and flew out Saturday morning the 2nd. He and I thought it was just bad allergies at first. My symptoms started as a tickle in the throat on Wednesday the 6th and then sinus pressure and headaches and chest congestion developed on Thursday followed by low grade fever, muscle aches and fatigue and sinus drainage by Friday night. I felt like garbage Saturday morning before our flight back. He tested positive with home kit on Saturday afternoon and lab PCR that he took Tuesday. my drainage was gone by Sunday. I took home test Sunday and tested positive. Fever was gone Monday. Brain fog and lethargy, basically useless zombie mode which were my worst side effects from 2nd vaccine shot and booster lasted until early Thursday morning the 14th and I still have a little bit of chest congestion and a minor cough and not feeling 100% yet. Didn't lose my sense of taste or smell.

That sucks.

The most serious case I personally know is a friend who had to go the hospital for a few days. Felt bad, coughing like crazy, breathing issues. Not old either. Mid 40s. She was still sick when they told her to go home, but was much better by that time. So looks like the serious part lasted only a few days. She was totally fine around a week later.

As for me, I never got tested so I have no idea if I ever had it or not. The worst I had was earlier this year sniffling with cold feet no matter how many blankets I used. So I probably had a bad cold or minor fever for a few days than it went away. I felt probably 90% fine good enough to keep working from home. I have no idea if that is even covid related as I get that kind of minor illness once every 5 years.

Last edited:

TylerD

Glad to hear you came through relatively unscathed

That sucks.

The most serious case I personally know is a friend who had to go the hospital for a few days. Felt bad, coughing like crazy, breathing issues. Not old either. Mid 40s. She was still sick when they told her to go home, but was much better by that time. So looks like the serious part lasted only a few days. She was totally fine around a week later.

As for me, I never got tested so I have no idea if I ever had it or not. The worst I had was earlier this year sniffling with cold feet no matter how many blankets I used. So I probably had a bad cold or minor fever for a few days than it went away. I felt probably 90% fine good enough to keep working from home. I have no idea if that is even covid related as I get that kind of minor illness once every 5 years.

Thank you. I slept a ton over the weekend and was able to get some yard work in and seem to be completely over everything now except very minor chest congestion.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My doctor recommended to me yesterday that I get the 4th shot since I'm immunocompromised. I'm a little worried about it since the 3rd shot kicked my ass. It wasn't really ill or anything, it just felt like total shit for 24 hours. Crushing headache, chills, fatigue.

Anyone here get the 4th shot and what were your symptoms?

FunkMiller

Why the world is China locking down at this point?

The rest of the world gave up.. why haven't they?

Because they spent the last couple of years lording it over everyone else's high covid rates, and now the cunts have realised that you can neither gaslight, nor prevent the spread of a respiratory virus, they are having to lockdown their population in order to save face.

This is also the country that created this entire fucking shit show in the first place by lying about covid's existence in 2019, so none of this should come as a surprise.

nush

Gold Member
Because they spent the last couple of years lording it over everyone else's high covid rates, and now the cunts have realised that you can neither gaslight, nor prevent the spread of a respiratory virus, they are having to lockdown their population in order to save face.

In most cases of local outbreaks they give a shit for about 2 weeks before going back to normal life. Where I am it's lasted about a month and I know it's over because the kindergartens open up again and play loud music every morning at 8.

But there's a 4 day holiday this week, I guess in two weeks time we'll be doing it all again.

Top Bottom