• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Susurrus

Stopped by the National Mall today.

7BQVqMF.jpg

TJJp0Q6.jpg
84qioWG.jpg
XmCIfON.jpg

Last edited:

TheFarter

Banned
Literally no one asked for him to be banned or ""silenced"" in this thread. Gtfo
I know. It's just the way people act in here. Some of the people. It's very Era esque imo. The poster is always right no matter what. The other is wrong and a gross person for even thinking what they think. I find myself to be a regular type person. I like to see all the different points of view. I can read someone's point of view without responding and or calling them a moron or such.

I'm actually waiting for the time in the future, where people who get a booster shot start talking down and name calling people who "only" got their 2 shots. I can't wait to see that specatcle. I wonder the odds on such things happening.

Last edited:
Here in the netherlands, a large contingent of anti-vaxxers are basically new age hippies and assorted 'nature people'. There's also the religiously conservative, so that's similar, but still...
Understood, I'm not American just reporting what I see.

Its the younger 20-35 and people who live in the rural areas that sniff diesel in their tractors all day that are our problem here.

But we just kicked the young out of bars and restuarants with vaccination passports so they are starting to get vaccinated more now. Booze is always more important that personal choices.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
what's absolutely stunning to me is the level of fanaticism where quite a number of people are literally willing to die on this hill rather than relent and take a shot. I mean, out of all the political hot-button issues we've seen over the last years, all the divisive flashpoint moments (elections etc), why choose this moment and this issue to make your final stand? It's not even a political issue by nature. Psychologists and sociologists will spend years theorizing about the behaviour we are currently seeing. Is it some kind of freaky subconscious thing around (physical) penetration? Is it mere happenstance and would nothing like it have happened if Trump got elected?
Some people are just stubborn.

It doesnt even have to be about a vaccine that seemed to be made in 10 months. So it's a safety risk of unknown long term side effects. There's probably 10+ other vaccines people can get (often as a toddler so nobody will remember getting it). They are proven effective and around for 50 years, yet they still wont do it.

It's a funny thing because every country and city and has implementations of artificially adding flouride to water. Some do it, some dont. Add a reasonable amount and it helps prevent cavaties. Add to much and people's teeth get crusty.

I don't see anyone bitching about flouride in water yet people are drinking, washing and cooking with it every day.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Its the younger 20-35 and people who live in the rural areas that sniff diesel in their tractors all day that are our problem here.

But we just kicked the young out of bars and restuarants with vaccination passports so they are starting to get vaccinated more now. Booze is always more important that personal choices.
Canada is similar. You're from Calgary it seems, so you know this.

That whole vibe of rural folks, conservative, cowboy tough guy mentality is IMO what can contribute to moulding an anti-vaxxer. Anything to go against big government and big populations of Toronto liberals and minorities.

And it makes sense in a way.

If someone's lifestyle is more about pick up trucks, outdoorsy jobs and they've felt fine all their lives, then no need for medication unlike the high density populations of Vancouver and Toronto metros and white collar office wimps.

QSD

Yeah, it's hard to compare, I think young people here aren't especially opposed to/lax in getting vaccinated. The Netherlands is densely populated. There are cities and rural areas, but the rural areas are never quite as rural as the US and Canada can get. So even the rural areas are somewhat 'urbanized' both in culture and facilities.

I'd be interested to hear how the no booze plan goes, LOL.

Some people are just stubborn.

It doesnt even have to be about a vaccine that seemed to be made in 10 months. So it's a safety risk of unknown long term side effects. There's probably 10+ other vaccines people can get (often as a toddler so nobody will remember getting it). They are proven effective and around for 50 years, yet they still wont do it.

It's a funny thing because every country and city and has implementations of artificially adding flouride to water. Some do it, some dont. Add a reasonable amount and it helps prevent cavaties. Add to much and people's teeth get crusty.

I don't see anyone bitching about flouride in water yet people are drinking, washing and cooking with it every day.
Canada is similar. You're from Calgary it seems, so you know this.

That whole vibe of rural folks, conservative, cowboy tough guy mentality is IMO what can contribute to moulding an anti-vaxxer. Anything to go against big government and big populations of Toronto liberals and minorities.
What I find interesting is that these people you are describing are ending up on the same bandwagon as dutch new age hippies (some of who are definitely worried about fluoride btw)

nA7sNZ4.jpg

this is the 'leader' of the dutch anti vaxxers. he's a dance teacher.

Last edited:

FireFly

I get what you're saying, but we've been at 'peak social media' for the last 3-4 years now, roughly speaking (maybe longer?) wouldn't you agree? It's still pretty bizarre that this pandemic, out of all other things that happened, is the thing that really pushed people over the edge.
Are people being pushed over the edge, or did being anti-vaccination just get added to the list of "conservative" identity markers? If you are already strongly motivated by your sense of political and cultural identity, all it takes is someone to "sneak in" a new element in that identity. Look at it from the other perspective: Do you think it is worthy to "fight" and maybe even die for democratic freedoms? If so, then you're not so different; you just exist on a different side of the "debate".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Are people being pushed over the edge, or did being anti-vaccination just get added to the list of "conservative" identity markers? If you are already strongly motivated by your sense of political and cultural identity, all it takes is someone to "sneak in" a new element in that identity. Look at it from the other perspective: Do you think it is worthy to "fight" and maybe even die for democratic freedoms? If so, then you're not so different; you just exist on a different side of the "debate".
Key difference is a lot of sickness, death and using up healthcare services and hospital beds could be prevented by taking 5 minutes and getting a painless needle. It's free too. It's so widespread, you can do a walk in appointment at some drug stores at the same time you need to buy stuff.

So in a way, anti-vaxxers are being selfish. Because what happens now is tons of hospitals are being clogged up by people sick with covid. And covid is something that can spread to other people. So thats why the covid cycle of illness and death seems to keep going.

I know what some people will say because everyone has seen it. Isn't a fat guy with clogged arteries using a hospital bed the same thing?

Big difference is that having a clogged heart isnt contagious and prevention isnt as easy as getting a two minute session at a clinic getting a free shot. And hospitals and healthcare hotlines arent jammed with 1000s of people at the same time needing triple bypass.

Also, givernment policies, lock downs and mask requirements seem to trend more or less to whatever the covid state is. Lots of cases = more lock downs. Covid cases drop = government and restaurants open up with dine in service.

So if anti-vaxxers want more freedom. Jump in and get vaxxed so covid cases drop to negligible levels so all of us can get rid of the mask.

Last edited:

QSD

the crazy thing for me is how fanatically this new element is accepted into the existing identity, despite it not being an especially cut-and-dry conservative issue (see the above about dutch antivaxxers) and, like you describe, has kind of been 'snuck in'

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Certain politically-charged circles across virtually all social media turned it into a political issue for their groups. Tribalism seemed to take over from there. In the US it's a very specific type of person, the kinds who generally gravitate towards conspiracy theories and politically charged media like Fox or Newsmax. In Australia it seems to be largely people who are sick of their harsh public health measures since they weren't able to roll out vaccines quickly for whatever reason (I really don't know why they lagged behind there). Etc for each country and in some cases regions within countries.

Last edited:

QSD

I took this to mean that the app would be worse than the virus when all is said and done.
I guess, but even so for that to eventually be true the app would need to somehow facilitate or herald some kind of totalitarian power grab that will result in mass killings numbering in the millions (in order to reach the same ballpark in bodycount).

Toons

I know. It's just the way people act in here. Some of the people. It's very Era esque imo. The poster is always right no matter what. The other is wrong and a gross person for even thinking what they think. I find myself to be a regular type person. I like to see all the different points of view. I can read someone's point of view without responding and or calling them a moron or such.

I'm actually waiting for the time in the future, where people who get a booster shot start talking down and name calling people who "only" got their 2 shots. I can't wait to see that specatcle. I wonder the odds on such things happening.

Well if this isn't dripping with irony

FunkMiller

Speaking of Australia...

These videos are really getting tedious.

I mean, there’s a chance they took the guy to the ground simply because he was standing there smoking without a mask on, without the coppers saying anything else to him, or him not reacting in the slightest to being asked to put his mask on.

Or… he’s probably a bogan cunt who started mouthing off, they’ve decided to arrest him for a public order offence, and the video has been deliberately cut off prior to the start of the incident to maximise how bad it looks, for the benefit of the rabid anti lockdown and vaccine brigade.

Either or…

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Boy, policing sure is different overseas. It's like another world.

There are a lot of Americans who seem to think this kind of police activity is excessive, strange or over the top. This is probably because American police seem to just rely on their guns, and people aren't so used to seeing coppers bodily handle people in the street. The Australian system very much copies the UK one, where officers are trained to restrain offenders by getting them to the ground as quickly as possible. This is safest for everyone. If you're on an average UK or Australian high street late at night and people are kicking off when the coppers are about, this type of thing is very common place.

Narasumas

Coronavirus patients are flooding and straining hospitals across the U.S., particularly in Western states, where administrators are put in positions of needing to ration care as their facilities are pushed to their breaking points by the delta variant.

Alaska this past week joined Idaho in adopting statewide crisis standards of care that provide guidance to health care providers making difficult decisions on how to allocate limited resources. Several hospitals in Montana have either activated crisis standards of care or are considering it as the state is pummeled by COVID-19.

Under the guidelines, providers can prioritize treating patients based on their chances of recovery, impacting anyone seeking emergency care, not just those with COVID-19.

Typically, crisis standards of care involve a scoring system to determine the patient’s survivability, sometimes including their estimated “life years” and how well their organs are working. Such guidelines do not call for factoring in vaccination status, much like emergency rooms don’t prioritize certain car crash victims based on whether a driver was drinking.

The vast majority of COVID-19 patients overwhelming hospitals are unvaccinated
, months after the vaccine became widely available to U.S. adults.

As of Friday, the ICUs in Alabama, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky and Texas all exceeded 90 percent capacity. The ICUs in Alaska and Montana, meanwhile, were 84 percent and 77 percent full, respectively, according to federal data.

At Providence Alaska Medical Center, the surge of COVID-19 patients make up about 24 percent of inpatients, with about 87 to 90 percent of all patients being unvaccinated.
Thanks for this Evilore. Funny, I was told by others earlier my drunk driving analogy was not applicable.

FunkMiller

Hospital admissions and cases dropping in UK.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/covid-rate-dips-in-england-for-the-first-time-in-weeks-b2ffbwkq0

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...s-are-going-down-despite-ease-of-restrictions

This is in a country with zero restrictions in place anywhere, where delta is pretty much 100% prevelant.

The fall is not what was predicted in the modelling, indicating herd immunity and vaccine effectiveness are greater than first thought.

This should be making bigger headlines, but it’s positive news, and lack of petrol and gas is sexier for the headlines.

Kilau

There are a lot of Americans who seem to think this kind of police activity is excessive, strange or over the top. This is probably because American police seem to just rely on their guns, and people aren't so used to seeing coppers bodily handle people in the street. The Australian system very much copies the UK one, where officers are trained to restrain offenders by getting them to the ground as quickly as possible. This is safest for everyone. If you're on an average UK or Australian high street late at night and people are kicking off when the coppers are about, this type of thing is very common place.
I figured they meant it was different because the cops weren’t using guns :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Of course in the US when the cops resort to “only” physical restraint it can and does lead to very bad things.

Boomers were overwhelmingly pro-vaccine, statistically, prior to Covid. It is absolutely an issue of ideology, political tribalism, and social media misinformation warping the views of millions.
I am not from USA, but I do believe there is a large problem there because of "political tribalism". At least in my country, we do not have that issue. Yes, there are people who do not want the vaccines or refuse them, but they do it due to misinformation, and not due to a political party make it political.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The linked article has more granular data
Thanks. I skimmed it and saw tons of charts. I'll take a look in more detail later today.

But I can tell already, a reason why heavy trump supported counties have higher deaths is they skew to older people and everyone knows older people get hit harder with major covid issues vs. younger people. But dont know how much that explains the gap.

Depending on the math on the age variance, the difference in covid deaths may have more to do with age than politics.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Thanks. I skimmed it and saw tons of charts. I'll take a look in more detail later today.

But I can tell already, a reason why heavy trump supported counties have higher deaths is they skew to older people and everyone knows older people get hit harder with major covid issues vs. younger people. But dont know how much that explains the gap.

Depending on the math on the age variance, the difference in covid deaths may have more to do with age than politics.

You don’t think vaccination rates or masking/distancing play a role? It’s not notable that blue areas got hit hardest at the beginning of the pandemic, understandable due to population density, etc., but are doing fairly well now that vaccination rates are high even with the Delta variant on the loose?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You don’t think vaccination rates or masking/distancing play a role? It’s not notable that blue areas got hit hardest at the beginning of the pandemic, understandable due to population density, etc., but are doing fairly well now that vaccination rates are high even with the Delta variant on the loose?
Never said that.

I said "may" have to do more with age, even though every one knows old people get hit hardest.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
lot of folks love to talk about safe young people are from the virus, but old people who are vaccinated are just as safe... these people don't have to die; being misinformed is what is killing them

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
They want you silenced. Too bad this isn't era for them. You'd already be banned.
That is ridiculous. I don't want anybody banned and if I really want someone silenced then I can just hit the ignore button. Asking someone to use better sources is not the same as wanting someone to be banned or silenced.

I spend 90% of my time on here on my phone so when I'm trying to get caught up on the thread and I have to scroll past several posts that contain anywhere between four to six tweets and usually less than half of them are worth reading. That gets kind of old after a bit. And I wouldn't mind at all if it was all information from reputable sources, but a lot of the time it's not.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Its hard to understand that number in context. To lose so many in such a relatively short period of time over something that just popped up out of nowhere.
All these deaths are tragic, but such out-of-context depictions are equally unnecessary.

Maybe people in the U.S. shouldn't inject themselves with 10 pounds of Pop Tards every day and start being more active. And no, posting an article about a healthy and athletic person who died from COVID does not change that fact.

"Covid-19 death rates are 10 times higher in countries where more than half of the adult population is classified as overweight, a comprehensive report from the World Obesity Federation has found."

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

All these deaths are tragic, but such out-of-context depictions are equally unnecessary.

Maybe people in the U.S. shouldn't inject themselves with 10 pounds of Pop Tards every day and start being more active. And no, posting an article about a healthy and athletic person who died from COVID does not change that fact.
Yeah I'm not doing this debate again.

Thaedolus

The fact that people should live healthier lifestyles is moot at this point. The fact is a lot of Americans don’t, and if we don’t want both our healthcare system and entire economy, then we have to face reality and not pine for some hypothetical ideal: vaccines, masks, and mandates for both are going to be necessary to get us through this. There’s no reality where getting everyone to lose 50lbs and work out regularly is easier than getting a safe shot in the arm.

Nobody_Important

The fact that people should live healthier lifestyles is moot at this point. The fact is a lot of Americans don’t, and if we don’t want both our healthcare system and entire economy, then we have to face reality and not pine for some hypothetical ideal: vaccines, masks, and mandates for both are going to be necessary to get us through this. There’s no reality where getting everyone to lose 50lbs and work out regularly is easier than getting a safe shot in the arm.
Exactly. And just because someone was obese or had some other condition that might have aided in their death from Covid doesn't make their death any less sad or impactful. These are people that might have done exactly what was said. They might have been trying to get healthy or they might not have had any control over their health problems. Trying to downplay or derail the death count with talk of healthy eating and stuff like that at this point is just absurd.

A death is a death. The people had friends and families. They should be mourned and counted just like anyone else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well said.

If a vaccine shot cost every person $300, took forever, hurt like hell and people were bedridden for weeks, I can see lots of people saying forget it. I'm healthy. I might say forget it too.

But when you got the vaccine everywhere takes minutes to do, doesnt hurt and is free. It cant get easier and cheaper. When I got my first shot, I felt nothing and gone about the rest of my day as normal. I stopped off at 5 Guy Burgers for take out. It's not like my arm fell off and I'm in a coma in bed for a week.

And they give you a receipt and it's tracked so for any future access issues, so you got proof. What more can people want?

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Far as I am aware this isn't a new variant and isn't of major concern as of now. Not even Greek letter worthy.
Edit: the outbreak of R.1 was back in March, Delta was first reported in the US in March also. Since then R.1 has barely been a blip while Delta raced throughout the country. The vaccine was still approx. 85% effective at prevented symptomatic infection with R.1.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned

Sure, I agree with you.

But is that a reason to ignore a much bigger and deadlier problem, which makes all other health problems even more dangerous and deadlier, for another 30 years?

Obesity increases the death rate of COVID-19 by up to 1000%. One. Thousand. Percent.
If COVID-19 fails to finally address this problem, what kind of pandemic will it take for a country full of overweight people to live healthier lives?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sure, I agree with you.

But is that a reason to ignore a much bigger and deadlier problem, which makes all other health problems even more dangerous and deadlier, for another 30 years?

Obesity increases the death rate of COVID-19 by up to 1000%. One. Thousand. Percent.
If COVID-19 fails to finally address this problem, what kind of pandemic will it take for a country full of overweight people to live healthier lives?
Massive government intervention, regulation, tracking and mandates.
Good luck with that!
Although I would live to see the anti-exercise, anti-healthy eating conspiracies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom