• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cornell study finds eating chicken on the bone makes children more aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
#TeamBoneless

Every since my father made me gag down the last bits of grissle on a chicken bone when I was a kid I've never been the same.

Derwind

Really. I've been eating drumsticks all my life....

Now I kinda understand why I always wanted to punch something.

Afrodium

Banned
Fuck boneless chicken. People who want to eat dead animals but don't want to be remind that they're eating dead animals have no business eating dead animals.

Zoe

Fuck boneless chicken. People who want to eat dead animals but don't want to be remind that they're eating dead animals have no business eating dead animals.

That's not why I don't eat bone-in chicken. I don't eat it because I don't care to have to eat around the cartilage, veins, and tiny bones that break off.

Somnid

Ignoring the other amusing issues I find it highly problematic this was even published.

The abstract:
Does biting food lead to aggressive behavior? An experimental study is reported where children ages 6–10 (n = 12) were served chicken either on-the-bone or pre-cut in bite-size pieces. When children ate on-the-bone chicken, they exhibited more aggressive behavior than pre-cut, boneless chicken. For example, children were more likely to violate the counselor's instructions by leaving the eating area after eating on-the-bone chicken compared to kids who ate pre-cut chicken. These findings suggest a connection between how children eat and how they behave. This could have implications for developmental psychologists as well as for educators and parents.

They fed 12 children chicken and somehow correlated it to aggressive behavior. I'm not sure what methodology was used but 12 is an unacceptable sample size. How does this meet any academic standard what-so-ever? Absolutely disgusting on the part of the researchers and Cornell.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's the only way. It should be illegal to waste food.

Just throwing away food is not a thing I approve. Last saturday me and my girl went to this Sushi place. They offer unlimited Sushi for a certain amount. This is not a buffet, because you have to order any time you want a different roll. Well, we ordered some sushi and some other stuff. But we didn't realize how big the portion were.

So, at the end of the dinner, we asked the waitress to put our left over in a take out box. But she refused. She told us that you can not take out the food you order with the unlimited sushi order.

Fuck. I demanded to see the manager and in the end they did give me the take out box. I just can stand people wasting perfectly good food.

Same with this chicken thing. You eat the whole damn thin, no matter if you look like a primitive savage man.

Eat everything even if you're full... or waste what you don't need.

The former leads to increased weight and increased need for food... while the other will lead to decreased weight gain and decreased need for food...

Ultimately meaning that when you waste food now, you waste less food over the course of your life.

Lamel

Banned
The assertion is not ridiculous; these innate tendencies of ours can be linked to developmental psychology and neurobiology.

But sample size is rather small.

I personally break it off the bone with my hands and eat it. #TeamCivilized #Dexterity

Eat everything even if you're full... or waste what you don't need.

The former leads to increased weight and increased need for food... while the other will lead to decreased weight gain and decreased need for food...

Ultimately meaning that when you waste food now, you waste less food over the course of your life.

You don't have to eat it right away. You could store the food and eat it later. That's what I did with the sushi. It was my dinner yesterday.

My wife feeds my two year old chicken thighs on the bone and she recently started holding her fists in the air and shaking her head while making a mean face and growling noises. Sometimes she'll even grab me while doing it.

It's either the chicken rage or learned behaviour from me. She probably learned it from me.

dbztrk

It's funny because whenever i see someone eating chicken off the bone I think they look like savages. I always thought that I was a snob but maybe there is something there.

zeemumu

819196-bigthumbnail.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom