• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cornell study finds eating chicken on the bone makes children more aggressive

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

Cornell-study-finds-children-who-eat-chicken-on-the-bone-are-more-aggressive.jpg

ITHACA, N.Y., April 30 (UPI) -- Researchers at Cornell University conducted a study about biting versus chewing habits in children and found that kids who eat chicken on the bone are more likely to disobey adults and be aggressive.
The study, which was published in Eating Behaviors, found that children were “twice as likely to disobey adults and twice as aggressive toward other kids” when eating food they had to hold and bite.

Researches found that children were more docile when eating cut-up pieces of food, results which would seem to indicate that there is a connection between having to use teeth to eat and aggressive behavior.

Not everyone agrees with the study’s findings.

“I think people have been eating chicken wings, chicken drumsticks for a millennia and I don’t think it’s made them any more aggressive than they otherwise would have been,” clinical psychologist Dr. Brian Russell told Fox News.

The children that the researchers studied were between the ages of 6 and 10.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/04...-more-aggressive/7851398872882/?spt=sec&or=on

Have you noticed any aggressive tendencies in yourself or others after eating bone-in chicken?

otapnam

Everybody eats chicken off the bone. I never understood some people that eat meat but can't handle eating meat off the bone though - it seems to be a northern white america thing.

CrankyJay

Banned
Everybody eats chicken off the bone. I never understood some people that eat meat but can't handle eating meat off the bone though - it seems to be a northern white america thing.

Hey man, the closer to the bone, the sweeter the meat.

ruxtpin

Banned
The missus and I usually split a serving of buffalo wings every other week or so. Generally speaking, most people are bastards so I can see how those two things are related.

children were “twice as likely to disobey adults and twice as aggressive toward other kids” when eating food they had to hold and bite.

TWICE as aggressive!? How does that compare to beating your kids lol

BigDug13

But that's how we've eaten chicken since the beginning of time. Having shit like "chicken tenders" and "chicken nuggets" and "boneless wings" is relatively newer, so does that mean we continue to become LESS aggressive as time goes on since "off the bone" is no longer the only way we eat chicken? In a world where all food is processed and maybe even turned into drinkable mush, does violence end?

bjork

Study finds that eating dinosaur-shaped chicken nuggets makes children think dinosaurs are palm sized, docile, and taste like chicken.

Anustart

I read that as eating chicken on the bone makes chicken more aggressive. I was like duh, I'd be pretty aggressive too is someone started gnawing on me.

injurai

Banned
My sister used to think chicken off the bone meant it there were no animals harmed in the making of the meat. Granted she was really young, but the value of eating another creature is completely lost on society.

It's the only way. It should be illegal to waste food.

Just throwing away food is not a thing I approve. Last saturday me and my girl went to this Sushi place. They offer unlimited Sushi for a certain amount. This is not a buffet, because you have to order any time you want a different roll. Well, we ordered some sushi and some other stuff. But we didn't realize how big the portion were.

So, at the end of the dinner, we asked the waitress to put our left over in a take out box. But she refused. She told us that you can not take out the food you order with the unlimited sushi order.

Fuck. I demanded to see the manager and in the end they did give me the take out box. I just can stand people wasting perfectly good food.

Same with this chicken thing. You eat the whole damn thin, no matter if you look like a primitive savage man.

Valhelm

contribute something
Was this a controlled experiment? If not, it's probably just that parents who are less likely to cut their kids' chicken are more likely to raise more aggressive children.

xenist

Good. Eating any kind of meat on the bone, with your hands, is one of the most pleasing and life-affirming activities possible. Especially if you wash the meat down with a pint of beer or two. When I'm eating chicken especially the bones look like they've been cleaned surgically. I'll fucking suck the meat off the spine.

CrankyJay

Banned

Just throwing away food is not a thing I approve. Last saturday me and my girl went to this Sushi place. They offer unlimited Sushi for a certain amount. This is not a buffet, because you have to order any time you want a different roll. Well, we ordered some sushi and some other stuff. But we didn't realize how big the portion were.

So, at the end of the dinner, we asked the waitress to put our left over in a take out box. But she refused. She told us that you can not take out the food you order with the unlimited sushi order.

Fuck. I demanded to see the manager and in the end they did give me the take out box. I just can stand people wasting perfectly good food.

Same with this chicken thing. You eat the whole damn thin, no matter if you look like a primitive savage man.

My sister in law's father was a military man who has the same mentality as you and passed it onto his children...at the wedding they were eating even the parsley garnishes. I thought that was taking it a bit too far.

maxcriden

Good on you, FZ. Those are really silly rules. I've encountered them before and I agree they're just wasteful if you already have the food on your plate.

FWIW I often seen people eating bone-in chicken and only eating like 50% of the edible parts at most. :-/

My sister in law's father was a military man who has the same mentality as you and passed it onto his children...at the wedding they were eating even the parsley garnishes. I thought that was taking it a bit too far.

Heh, I eat parsley garnishes. They're delicious and refreshing!

Takuan

I get it. Probably awakens primal memories in our DNA, or something. Utensils and packaged meat are relatively recent phenomena, considering the archaeological record.

I get far more satisfaction cleaning the meat off a bone-in steak using my hands and face than I do using a knife and fork.

The Adder

Banned

Two different flavors. Sometimes you want one, sometimes you want the other.

cajunator

Banned
I eat a lot of bone-in chicken and I gnaw it down to the cartilage and basically get every possible piece of meat/skin off it. Dont see the big deal really. Im not an aggressive person either. Im a bouncy happy thing.

What was the size of the focus group?

Looks like 12 kids. LOL. The report is only 2 pages too.

Abstract

Does biting food lead to aggressive behavior? An experimental study is reported where children ages 6–10 (n = 12) were served chicken either on-the-bone or pre-cut in bite-size pieces. When children ate on-the-bone chicken, they exhibited more aggressive behavior than pre-cut, boneless chicken. For example, children were more likely to violate the counselor's instructions by leaving the eating area after eating on-the-bone chicken compared to kids who ate pre-cut chicken. These findings suggest a connection between how children eat and how they behave. This could have implications for developmental psychologists as well as for educators and parents.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1471015314000397

$28 if anyone's interested.

These studies should not ever be news until they can be proven to be repeatable. If nobody ever bothers to repeat it then it's probably not a terribly important study to begin with.

Ahasverus

This is getting ridiculous. Seriously, science? how the human race is still alive with all these correlations in mundane things is beyond me :p

DrBo42

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when this researcher linked the two. How is that not something you think of and then immediately dismiss as fucking ridiculous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom