• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Centenario |OT| featuring Messi, James, Suárez and $110 mil in bribes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim.mbp

And thanks to every nation getting one vote regardless of size or power they've been screwing all of CONCACAF for decades with them constantly voting for shitty leaders like Trinidad's Jack Warner. Majority of votes come from tiny islands that will never qualify to a World Cup so I say good riddance.

But that's why I doubt it will happen. CAF won't go for it unless they are at least guaranteed the same number of spots 4 or 5. And I doubt CONMEBOL would want their share of Copa América money sliced up even more.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kind of screws over Caribbean Football Union members.

The smaller teams will definitely get screwed over, but a lot of CONCACAF has been improving by leaps and bounds. That definitely goes for the Caribbean nations as well. The stronger teams will only wind up getting stronger, it won't just benefit the US and Mexico. Jamaica, Costa Rica, T&T, and others will also benefit for sure with the stronger competition.

But that's why I doubt it will happen. CAF won't go for it unless they are at least guaranteed the same number of spots 4 or 5. And I doubt CONMEBOL would want their share of Copa América money sliced up even more.

Depends on how much money is on the table. If they're gonna be making more of it even with the pot being cut up even more they'll go for it.

Mestizo

Asia, NA, SA and Oceania merging into one? Sorry dude, that's not going to happen. CONCACAF and Conmebol can't agree on shit as it is and you want 4 mergers?

NA and SA conferederations aren't unifying anytime soon but I'm convinced this tournament will bring in the only thing these guys understand to make them agree on a unified tournament (not the whole confederation): Green American Dollars.

Asia and Oceania should totally unify tho. Oceania's biggest country (Australia) left for the Asian confederation a decade ago precisely because they had no chance of improving being stuck to their little corner of the world.

North America + South America and Asia + Oceania. I forgot to write "respectively" XD

Chris R

If the USA finishes first or second in the group, I'll be happy.

Just hoping for some good games (stadium choices are meh but whatever)

I wonder how serious is each eam about the tournament, I only know that Argentina really wants to win something .but what about the other teams, is anyone really excited about it ?

ZZMitch

I wonder how serious is each eam about the tournament, I only know that Argentina really wants to win something .but what about the other teams, is anyone really excited about it ?

Most teams (besides Brazil) seem to have their best (or close to best) squads in place.

lol, dont say CAF if you want to say CONCACAF. Why? Because CAF is the actual acronym for the African confederation... you confused me there for a sec.

I was never talking about CONCACAF and CONMEBOL merging. That'll never happen. I'm just talking about having one unified tournament instead of Copa America and Gold Cup and that one tournament will give two tickets for FIFA's Confederations Cup (one for each Confederation's top team).

World Cup qualifiers would continue to be held separately and whatnot.

And about the pie getting sliced in thinking CONMEBOL will taste the sweet nectar of a US hosted continental tournament and realize the huge opportunity they have here bringing the biggest market with the biggest stadiums in the world.

They're already very happy inviting Mexico to every Copa America because Mexico brings in the big bucks. And the US is increasingly more interested in this sport. The opportunity for growth here is immense. Not so much with the current Copa which has already plateaued.

North America + South America and Asia + Oceania. I forgot to write "respectively" XD

Well that changes thing then.

NA+SA will never happen anytime soon but Asia and Oceania is definitely possible. Like I said, already Oceania's soccer superpower (Australia) defected for Asia. So New Zeland and the two islands left could possibly merge, yes.

Lunar FC

Hyped as fuck. Lets go!

giphy.gif

Hyped as fuck. Lets go!

giphy.gif
Digging that new US Soccer crest. Certainly better than the previous one with its tacky and underserved three stars on it.

I love to witness how much soccer is exponentially growing in the US right before my eyes. I can't get enough of it. 20 years ago you guys couldn't give a rat's ass about soccer and the MLS was mere months from being born. Now look at you go!

Chile arrived with pretty much its best players, and the players have stated several times that they want to win the tournament.

The fact is right now the team's performance is no way at the same level that allowed us to win the last Copa América. We are not crap, but not great either.

Some fans and some sport reporters say Pizzi (the new coach) should use this tournament to try new variants in order to improve our chances to qualify for the next World Cup.

In short, we don't know what does Pizzi want to do.

Regardless of this, I just want to watch as many great matches as possible.

I want Columbia to win this cup for James. Or the other way around.

Took you guys long enough.

GAF, please, this happens in every international football thread: Columbia is not a country. COLOMBIA is. With an "o".

It never ceases to amaze me how common I see this on GAF. I can only imagine how bad it is with the average American.

Yeah, sorry for that, that's how it's spelled in my native language. Corrected.

Where you from, may I ask? Most of the people here that incorrectly spell it Columbia are Americans.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

GAF, please, this happens in every international football thread: Columbia is not a country. COLOMBIA is. With an "o".

It never ceases to amaze me how common I see this on GAF. I can only imagine how bad it is with the average American.

See above.

Lunar FC

Where you from, may I ask? Most of the people here that incorrectly spell it Columbia are Americans.

Cool your jets hotshot.

Karish

Better get used to it. Fox has the broadcasting rights for the next two World Cups, I believe.
People would watch the world cup via Yahoo if they had to, I'm not concerned about that. I'm concerned about COPA since here it's not a household name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom