• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

clarky

Gold Member

It's pretty much alot of cheese, and crab. :p Added some green onion, yellow onion and subbed the philadelphia with creme freche, and topped with king crab (used stonecrab inside the dish) and parsley.

Baked for 2 hours, it really makes the crab justice, all that nice fat brings out the flavour, lol. Served with garlic toast slices.
Holy shit, book marked. Definitely making this.

Thanks for posting.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
9BghrN2.jpeg

Didn’t realize it’s National Cheesesteak day, so that worked out.

Chipped Ribeye with fried onions and Cooper Sharp cheese on a Poppy Seed Roll from one our best local bakeries.

Go_Ly_Dow

Guys/gals am thinking about investing in the tools and ingredients to make Moroccan chicken tagine.

Does it taste as good as it looks?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Some pics of bread I made from Easter, only got bread ones…the corn pudding was killer!
ape0PSt.jpg

xaL0H7Y.jpg
I cant tell what kind of bread that is whether it's a sweet eggbread or the top one is garlic bread since I see some bits of chive I think in it. Are the bottom ones brioche style? Never the less, that all looks so good.

I dont eat bread/buns that often but when I do I usually just buy some boring shit from mainstream grocery stores (pre-bagged crap or in-store baked junk). Stuff like your pics comes from fancy grocers or European bakeries. I got to visit special bakeries more!

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I cant tell what kind of bread that is whether it's a sweet eggbread or the top one is garlic bread since I see some bits of chive I think in it. Are the bottom ones brioche style? Never the less, that all looks so good.

I dont eat bread/buns that often but when I do I usually just buy some boring shit from mainstream grocery stores (pre-bagged crap or in-store baked junk). Stuff like your pics comes from fancy grocers or European bakeries. I got to visit special bakeries more!
One is a potato roll (I used sweet potatoes instead of regular old spuds....cool orange color) the other is a milk bread-ish roll with chives in it!
Not a huge bread eater myself but if I get invited to holidays or special occasions I will usually make some like I did for easter.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Trying make most out of London produce while we are here.

Wife had a girls night out so decided to treat myself a bit.

- Angus steak medium rare
- Chimichurri made with angus fat
- Red wine sauce with angus trimmings and Languedoc
- Mushrooms pickled with pepper, garlic and bay leaves
- Roasted carrot and sweet potato with thyme

Served with Solaia 2007.

Angus steak, fat and trimmings were total £14 at Harrods.

Sc3THD2.jpeg

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Lomo, Solomillo, Ventresca of tuna. Just, no words can describe it (tenderloin, sirloin and belly of tuna).

KqVtlNf.jpeg
I don’t even know what those words are but good lord that looks awesome.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Thanks, I think I'll get this tagine as I cook on gas!

71VLUykDZXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

There's cooking tagine and then tagine just to serve food... this one looks very pretty! Be sure to know the difference! Food serving tagine might NOT be food safe to cook in!

Gaffers, I've been generating batches of approx 2,5 pound of the best hummus in the world thanks to this recipe:

Recipe is foolproof! But:

a) you NEED a food processor and 2,5 pound loads require one of the big 16 cup ones
b) the pot will be hours boiling away excess liquid
c) if you let the chickpeas go bone dry your food processor will have trouble, so be careful

Last edited:

Liljagare

There's cooking tagine and then tagine just to serve food... this one looks very pretty! Be sure to know the difference! Food serving tagine might NOT be food safe to cook in!

Gaffers, I've been generating batches of approx 2,5 pound of the best hummus in the world thanks to this recipe:

Recipe is foolproof! But:

a) you NEED a food processor and 2,5 pound loads require one of the big 16 cup ones
b) the pot will be hours boiling away excess liquid
c) if you let the chickpeas go bone dry your food processor will have trouble, so be careful

Looks lovely.

Not slathering toum sauce (oil, garlic, salt, lemon juice - mixes together like a mayo) all over would be a crime.. :p

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Looks lovely.

Not slathering toum sauce (oil, garlic, salt, lemon juice - mixes together like a mayo) all over would be a crime.. :p
Ohhh man you're right!

I love toum/allioli (the REAL one, common alioli is bastardised garlic mayo) but I never do it since I only know the old way of doing it (pounding). If you know a mechanised (blender, hand blender, etc) way of making it please do tell :D

Liljagare

Ohhh man you're right!

I love toum/allioli (the REAL one, common alioli is bastardised garlic mayo) but I never do it since I only know the old way of doing it (pounding). If you know a mechanised (blender, hand blender, etc) way of making it please do tell :D

This is pretty close to it, but double the amount of garlic.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

will try and report!

Today I made pitas so guess it's a good opportunity to much them down with some toum :D

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Wanted to practice a velouté style soup. Did first some mussels in white wine broth, and a quick pickle of shiitake mushrooms. Then a fairly straight forward soup with carrot, sweet potato, shallot and garlic made silky in a Vitamix, and then some cream and cayenne in the pan. Turned out one of my best soups to date.

I kept the presentation minimal as the surface texture of the soup was beautiful and you could peek at the mushrooms and mussels, so just a swirl of olive oil.

1f5RsmP.jpeg

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Wanted to practice a velouté style soup. Did first some mussels in white wine broth, and a quick pickle of shiitake mushrooms. Then a fairly straight forward soup with carrot, sweet potato, shallot and garlic made silky in a Vitamix, and then some cream and cayenne in the pan. Turned out one of my best soups to date.

I kept the presentation minimal as the surface texture of the soup was beautiful and you could peek at the mushrooms and mussels, so just a swirl of olive oil.

1f5RsmP.jpeg

That looks luscious and I bet it tastes amazing!

Speaking about shallots, I live like 200km away from french borders and all the shallots I can find are old and dry, nothing like the fresh ones I've seen in videos. Much envy!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Homemade pitas (i suck at shaping them I know), taum and hummus.

homemade-levantine-food.jpg

Your posted recipe worked, but I had trouble with my food processor early on in the process. I have a decent one, not a great one - I have to stop pussyfooting around and buy a 5200xl. Thank you for sharing, it is fiery garlicky and delicious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom