• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Control is a Game of the Year Contender (VGCultureHQ article)

It’s been a little bit over a month since Remedy released Control but is easily a Game of the Year contender. From its mysterious plotline to the surrealistic visuals, this is hands down one of the most memorable titles to launch in 2019. Anyone who is a fan of the developer’s work, this is a sure-fire hit. However, those that haven’t played a game from them before, you’re in for an absolute treat as this is one of their best works yet.

Control-Game-768x432.jpg

A Surrealistic Dream
Control makes its case as a candidate for this year’s Game of the Year thanks in large part to its visuals. Does this title have the best and most realistic graphics this year? No, but that’s not what you’ll notice when playing. The color schemes, surreal images, and the way everything else is presented are exceptionally done. Remedy is known for crafting their own genre of “weird horror” at times and this is where they push it to the next level. It takes aspects of Salvador Dalí and Twin Peaks in order to create a genre rarely seen in gaming. Other titles attempt to replicate Surrealism into their titles yet none are as well-done as Control.

Gamers who have played Alan Wake are sure to recognize its influences yet it moves it to a new level. Instead of wandering around a small, eery town in the middle of the woods, you’re trapped within a federal building that possesses strange energy to it. Despite this whole game taking place within one building, never does it feel too small or too redundant. Areas all have completely different tones and, thanks to the nature surrounding it, incredibly varying landscapes. In fact, it’s such a big map that fast travel and exploration are often required to get around. Quickly zooming around the map isn’t essential but it can help in finishing up story and side missions.

img_3720-768x432.jpg

Remedy’s Best Since Alan Wake
This isn’t like other Remedy titles in that the experience is over once the story wraps up. The main issue found with Quantum Break was that there was no reason to continue playing unless you wanted to figure out what alternate choices lead to. It was also an issue with Alan Wake in that there is no point in going back into the world. The developers learned from this and made Control much more necessary to continue forward with. In addition to the main story, there are side quests that carry their own plots and aren’t just simple fetch quests. There are also randomized events that pop up which task the player with clearing out a particular sector of the building from enemies. On top of this, the game features contracts that grant rewards for completing specific challenges, for example, “Eliminate 25 enemies in the Maintenance sector.”

Having extra content, in addition to an upcoming season pass, isn’t the only reason why this is Remedy’s best. It also has to do with the incredibly fun and varied gameplay. Jesse Faden, the titular character, possesses the ability to use her mind to alter the world around her. She can levitate, perform telekinesis, possess enemies, and a range of other abilities. These make for intense battles where you can fling desk chairs and concrete at enemies, or use the enemies themselves, whatever you desire. Don’t worry though because there is also a gun that can take out the opposition as well. It’s only one gun, though, but it’s able to be customized and transformed into a multitude of different types (ie automatic, charged, etc).

img_3721-768x432.jpg

Captivating Premise
Adding to the already great game is its storyline. Everything about it oozes mystery and intrigue which the player has to really pick up on. The story tasks the player with uncovering what truly happened during a traumatic childhood event that saw the disappearance of her brother. It isn’t so cut and dry though because the Federal Bureau of Control is truly a secret government organization that has been involved in numerous strange and world-altering events. Players are moved along learning about the inner workings of the Bureau and about the protagonist but there’s still so much to be uncovered. Seeking out clues and a vast array of collectibles are key to answering may questions that seemingly go unsolved. Control places the information in the game but it’s up to the player whether they fully want to uncover it.

Uncovering new areas can lead to more story information, as well as modifications to enhance the player too. Weapon mods, personal mods, and a skill tree help make this experience a bit more enticing. Hidden boss fights and locations can also make for some memorable experiences in the game. If you do end up exploring, keep an eye out for its connection to the developer’s other popular title, Alan Wake. These games appear to be incredibly connected and if you’re a fan of that title then this should help make this even more appetizing.

Control-DLC-Roadmap-768x432.jpg

No other game this year has been able to make me sit down and wonder “what the hell is going on?” but in a good way. Exploring this world and tripping out over the environment helped amplify this to one of the year’s best. Remedy Entertainment has outdone itself tremendously and deserves recognition for this release. Control is an experience that only Remedy can offer and for that, it demands to be nominated for Game of the Year.

PYJWn8j.jpg

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Game bored me into trading it in 2/3rd of the way in. Piss poor pacing, gutter-trash map design, unclear objectives, best bosses are optional and hidden, etc.

It did have great combat though.

Better than Quantumn Break? Yes. GOTY material? Probably not.

Last edited:
Game bored me into trading it in 2/3rd of the way in. Piss poor pacing, gutter-trash map design, unclear objectives, best bosses are optional and hidden, etc.

It did have great combat though.

Better than Quantumn Break? Yes. GOTY material? Probably not.
Piss poor pacing? The pacing is almost entirely designated by you the player and your chosen path of how you wish to progress. I see absolutely no problem with the map design, it's intricate and the world has depth. In terms of objectives I also can't for the life of me guess to as what you find unclear, and as far as bosses I would agree with that but that's not really a fault, you're rewarded for branching out.

I really like Control thus far but I don't think it's a true GOTY contender, RE2 has it beat easily.

My main problem with Control is the encounters are entirely random and without purpose. The game requires back tracking so they just randomly spawn enemies as you re-enter areas. There's no thought or reason to this. Luckily the combat is a lot of fun but when you are doing pointless encounters it starts to nag on you.

Also the map is pretty bad as others have mentioned. I've gotten lost a few times and been unsure of where to go due to a combination of unclear objectives and the map being subpar.

Control is a solid game but I don't think the high praise it gets is justified. It's a solid 7/10 and probably a top 5 game of the year.

Dacon

Banned
It is undoubtedly a good game, but it's no GOTY. The game makes a lot of missteps here and there, and definitely needed a little more polish.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It’s been a little bit over a month since Remedy released Control but is easily a Game of the Year contender. From its mysterious plotline to the surrealistic visuals, this is hands down one of the most memorable titles to launch in 2019. Anyone who is a fan of the developer’s work, this is a sure-fire hit. However, those that haven’t played a game from them before, you’re in for an absolute treat as this is one of their best works yet.

Control-Game-768x432.jpg

A Surrealistic Dream
Control makes its case as a candidate for this year’s Game of the Year thanks in large part to its visuals. Does this title have the best and most realistic graphics this year? No, but that’s not what you’ll notice when playing. The color schemes, surreal images, and the way everything else is presented are exceptionally done. Remedy is known for crafting their own genre of “weird horror” at times and this is where they push it to the next level. It takes aspects of Salvador Dalí and Twin Peaks in order to create a genre rarely seen in gaming. Other titles attempt to replicate Surrealism into their titles yet none are as well-done as Control.

Gamers who have played Alan Wake are sure to recognize its influences yet it moves it to a new level. Instead of wandering around a small, eery town in the middle of the woods, you’re trapped within a federal building that possesses strange energy to it. Despite this whole game taking place within one building, never does it feel too small or too redundant. Areas all have completely different tones and, thanks to the nature surrounding it, incredibly varying landscapes. In fact, it’s such a big map that fast travel and exploration are often required to get around. Quickly zooming around the map isn’t essential but it can help in finishing up story and side missions.

img_3720-768x432.jpg

Remedy’s Best Since Alan Wake
This isn’t like other Remedy titles in that the experience is over once the story wraps up. The main issue found with Quantum Break was that there was no reason to continue playing unless you wanted to figure out what alternate choices lead to. It was also an issue with Alan Wake in that there is no point in going back into the world. The developers learned from this and made Control much more necessary to continue forward with. In addition to the main story, there are side quests that carry their own plots and aren’t just simple fetch quests. There are also randomized events that pop up which task the player with clearing out a particular sector of the building from enemies. On top of this, the game features contracts that grant rewards for completing specific challenges, for example, “Eliminate 25 enemies in the Maintenance sector.”

Having extra content, in addition to an upcoming season pass, isn’t the only reason why this is Remedy’s best. It also has to do with the incredibly fun and varied gameplay. Jesse Faden, the titular character, possesses the ability to use her mind to alter the world around her. She can levitate, perform telekinesis, possess enemies, and a range of other abilities. These make for intense battles where you can fling desk chairs and concrete at enemies, or use the enemies themselves, whatever you desire. Don’t worry though because there is also a gun that can take out the opposition as well. It’s only one gun, though, but it’s able to be customized and transformed into a multitude of different types (ie automatic, charged, etc).

img_3721-768x432.jpg

Captivating Premise
Adding to the already great game is its storyline. Everything about it oozes mystery and intrigue which the player has to really pick up on. The story tasks the player with uncovering what truly happened during a traumatic childhood event that saw the disappearance of her brother. It isn’t so cut and dry though because the Federal Bureau of Control is truly a secret government organization that has been involved in numerous strange and world-altering events. Players are moved along learning about the inner workings of the Bureau and about the protagonist but there’s still so much to be uncovered. Seeking out clues and a vast array of collectibles are key to answering may questions that seemingly go unsolved. Control places the information in the game but it’s up to the player whether they fully want to uncover it.

Uncovering new areas can lead to more story information, as well as modifications to enhance the player too. Weapon mods, personal mods, and a skill tree help make this experience a bit more enticing. Hidden boss fights and locations can also make for some memorable experiences in the game. If you do end up exploring, keep an eye out for its connection to the developer’s other popular title, Alan Wake. These games appear to be incredibly connected and if you’re a fan of that title then this should help make this even more appetizing.

Control-DLC-Roadmap-768x432.jpg

No other game this year has been able to make me sit down and wonder “what the hell is going on?” but in a good way. Exploring this world and tripping out over the environment helped amplify this to one of the year’s best. Remedy Entertainment has outdone itself tremendously and deserves recognition for this release. Control is an experience that only Remedy can offer and for that, it demands to be nominated for Game of the Year.

PYJWn8j.jpg
source.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I dunno but I really liked the game.

Otterz4Life

I love the game. Sure, it’s a contender. It deserves to be mentioned. It’s my personal GotY.

But we all know it’s not going to win any major GotY awards.

Siri

Banned
Yup, GOTY contender for me on the PC.

This game reminds me of late 90’s gaming, when tech (and therefore software) was exciting with the introduction of the voodoo graphics cards. The RTX features in Control make it the best looking game on the planet right now. This Northlight engine is incredible.

I’m actually putting this game in the same category as Prey and Dishonoured 2 because those games renewed my passion for gaming.

Skyr

I mean I guess you could do that with how weak this year was overall.
I liked control but it is nothing I would replay or that will hold lasting memories for me. I’d give it a solid 7.5/10

My personal goty contenders are:

Sekiro
Apex Legends
Days Gone

Yep I actually loved the average reviewed Days Gone with all it’s flaws and bugs.

Then of course there is still deaths stranding which could join the list. Let’s see how that turns out.

Life

Plot twist: troll trolls a troll.
Plot twist: I wasn't trolling lol i literally didn't boot it up cos I knew all I was gonna do is run across hallways, shoot enemies, cover, shoot enemies, go back to talk to some random people, shoot, cover..........I've been gaming for far too long to be hooked onto that formula. If you are - that's fine too man.

Last edited:
Game was great but I wasn't too happy with how it ended. Like many games these days, it seems like the true finale is in the unreleased DLC.

Plot twist: I wasn't trolling lol i literally didn't boot it up cos I knew all I was gonna do is run across hallways, shoot enemies, cover, shoot enemies, go back to talk to some random people, shoot, cover..........I've been gaming for far too long to be hooked onto that formula. If you are - that's fine too man.
Taking cover... in a Remedy game??

I hate to be that guy but.. you're playing the game wrong, my dude.

Life

Game was great but I wasn't too happy with how it ended. Like many games these days, it seems like the true finale is in the unreleased DLC.

Taking cover... in a Remedy game??

I hate to be that guy but.. you're playing the game wrong, my dude.

I tend to play the hardest difficulties in games - to refrain from boredom. So yes, my dude, cover , shoot, auto-reload,repeat.

Top Bottom