• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Considering the importance Nintendo puts on software ip diversity, why do you think they don’t have something like Gow:18/Rag or TLOU? Inability?

Why don't they offer anything in that lane? Not asking for mature content, just narrative focused

• They don't have the ability to create those titles, so they shy away from them

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • They have the ability but not the desire, as those tastes are better served elsewhere

Votes: 121 63.0%
  • Scrimblo Bimblo doesn't want their angst to be delved into

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Not enough developers to pull from current tasks n create a whole new engrossing ip

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Idk, go ask your uncle who works at Nintendo!

Votes: 29 15.1%

• Total voters

Oof85

Pretty straightforward.

People will say because the games they already make outsell those enormously.

But yet, they make Metroid/Fire Emblem/Xeno, etc which sell a pittance compared to their bigger titles.

So they clearly see the point in having a variety of experiences to meet the tastes of many, especially considering 3P support isn't a done deal the way it is for Sony.

Mind you, I'm not saying bloody, mature titles because the sky knows we don't need more games that sprinkle profanity for the sake of profanity.

But just linear narrative titles where the story IS the focus, with an action adventure tinged backdrop.

Or hell, something like BG3 or Alan Wake? Just something where the story is the point

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Aren't games like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade already narrative focused?
On the topic of covering all genres, I don't think FE or Xeno stories (or gameplay) qualifies for the likes of GoW and TloU.

Also its Anime. Different rules for Anime even if you bring out a banger story.
When was the last time Nintendo actually did a serious tone mature looking game.

Topher

Gold Member
I think you are referring to more "cinematic" games rather than story focused, which they do have. And I don't think there is any demand for cinematic games on Nintendo platforms. Nintendo gamers generally are not looking for the same type of games that are popular on the other consoles.

BlackTron

A linear narrative title with an action-adventure backdrop can simply be done a lot better on PS than Switch. Nintendo is just playing to their strengths here.

Exactly why TOTK is a thing of gameplay systems and design instead of story and graphics.

Even if they had the hardware power, Nintendo would likely feel these games are a poor investment and better left to third parties. Of course, this would cost way more to make than Fire Emblem.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
They are experts in Video Games, how are their I.P.S are very good, they already tried Geist and it was a good game.

I wish Nintendo would buy the Gravity Rush license or make a similar game, that would be a great fortune and a good form of diversity.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It has never ever been in Nintendo's DNA to focus on narrative and stories. Their top designers such as Sakurai, Aonuma, Miyamato, and the rest always made it clear that whenever they're working on something, they're focusing on how the game will play, how will they bring something that the player hasn't done before, how can they keep them engaged and deliver a fresh experience. For instance, they haven't made a new F-Zero in almost 2 decades because they just don't know what to do with it or where to take the series.

Stories can be told by almost any medium, be they games, books, movies, music, etc. Only video games allow you to play so why would they focus on that when for one, they never have, and for two, narratively rich titles are a dime a dozen on the market?

They do have third-party exclusive RPGs with a heavy focus on storytelling though. Aren't games like Bravely Default, Second, or Octopath Traveler pretty story-rich? I never played them so I don't know but they look like they are. They also have Xenoblade if that counts for something.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

On the topic of covering all genres, I don't think FE or Xeno stories (or gameplay) qualifies for the likes of GoW and TloU.

Also its Anime. Different rules for Anime even if you bring out a banger story.
When was the last time Nintendo actually did a serious tone mature looking game.
Is OP talking about cinematic games? I don't think those are worth developing on the scale of GoW or TLoU, not to mention their hardware can't handle a game like that adequately. Besides their brand is "family friendly", its not in their DNA to bring games with tons of blood, sex or whatever other people classify as "mature".

Kabelly

Because for the most part Nintendo focuses on the gameplay first and the story is typically just a backdrop.

My favourite story is of Splatoon where the devs were trying for a new game and they came up with some cubes that shoot ink.

Lokaum D+

Nintendo focus is 90% on nostalgia, since the 80" they make the same games and thats It, almost no new shit.

Once the 80,90 gamers stop playing or starts dropping dead, Nintendo consoles sales ll go down fast ( Japan is safe )

Last edited:
Story just isn't nor will be Nintendo's strength. They clearly have go for what their audience wants, and like Sony, they find a winning a strategy.

Agent X

I don't believe that inability is the reason. I think they could make those types of games, but as others have said in this thread (and even one of your polls choices suggest), there are already third-party games that handle this.

Besides their brand is "family friendly", its not in their DNA to bring games with tons of blood, sex or whatever other people classify as "mature".

I also think that Nintendo still wants to maintain their wholesome image. They've dabbled in mature themes in the past, but those games generally haven't been their biggest sellers, or persuaded people to purchase their systems. If they want to produce those types of games in the future, then they could consider releasing them under a different publishing label.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nintendo’s focus is on gameplay and letting the player figure things out. They’ve never done Sony’s linear cinematic style where you’re told to press a button to watch a scene.

I’m playing through Uncharted 4 on PC right now, and the focus is entirely on graphics and story. Gameplay you can just turn your brain off.

Nintendo’s focus on gameplay first extends to every genre they tackle.

Last edited:

ungalo

It lacks the option "they don't have the ability nor the desire".

This kind of IP is a burden more than anything else. If you don't need to make them you don't want to.

Last edited:

Three

It's the same reason why on mobile you don't get big budget games with high production values. The spectacle doesn't work as well on that hardware and it relies more on just gameplay. That's not to say that the high budget high production value games don't have gameplay too but the lower budget games on low spec hardware just can't do it as well to compete there so those type of games do well elsewhere.

Saber

Gold Member
Their games are fun and engaging. They have a multitude of talent and creativity, they just don't care about that stupid crap or awards, they only care about their consumers enjoying a great gameplay.

Last edited:

Deerock71

They are making games that sell 25 million to 40+ million copies on a single platform at nearly full price and they are swimming in cash. Why would they need to make the same games as Sony?
This. They wipe their ass with 10 million sellers. Nintendo has no desire to dial down their sales forecasts, or make a game that has to sell 7 million to break even.

Iwata talked about this a lot.

Basically, no they don’t have the expertise to make games like that. So why bother? Focus on what their strengths are and make unique games that no one else can offer.

Nintendo’s strength are action/adventure, action platformer, and family get-together/party games.

Leave the FPS genre to those experts and let the Naughty Dogs create world-class story-driven action games. Everyone’s got their strengths.

Last edited:

BlueLyria

As was said, Different Audiences and targets, Nintendo could pour as much money as they want in making something like God of War, but it will always have comparisons, and the comparison between Switch and PS4/PS5 isn't exactly favorable, so they can just have a higher return by keeping doing what they're doing instead of emulating something that's better served on PC/Other Consoles

I don't think they have a want to do so as they know their market well. Nintendo's partnership with Koei Tecmo for the Hyrule Warriors & Fire Emblem Warriors games was about as out-of-the-box as I expect from Nintendo these days

Nintendo’s focus is on gameplay and letting the player figure things out. They’ve never done Sony’s linear cinematic style where you’re told to press a button to watch a scene.

I’m playing through Uncharted 4 on PC right now, and the focus is entirely on graphics and story. Gameplay you can just turn your brain off.

Nintendo’s focus on gameplay first extends to every genre they tackle.

They make some of the best games of all time and then they occasionally let games like Donkey Kong Barrel Blast ship. 😂

Opposite ends of the spectrum

Oof85

Did you seriously made this topic in every forum you visit? Or you just copied from reeee?

It's such a weird question. Are you trying to be provocative? With who?
Copied from seeing it here.

Different forums have different sentiments.

Going to Neoseeker and Angelfire/Geocities next.

Their target audience is 12yr olds and they make family content. They are not going for hardcore audience.

I don’t think this is true at all. Their target audience is anyone who wants to play their games, which is why many of them offer the accessibility and then also the optional depth for those who want the challenge and to get the most out of their games.

But I would say their marketing and design philosophy works really well tho, to the extent you could say they’re designed for 12 year olds but be purchased by millions of people in their 20s, 30s and 40s who still love their games.

Last edited:

cireza

This is not their target audience so they don't need such games.

Edit : narrative focused ? They have games like these. Xenoblade and Fire Emblem for example. Even a game like Metroid Prime has a strong story/setting. They simply don't force you into watching hours of cutscenes.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

tbh i don't think Nintendo has the ability to make games like those,they are experts in their craft,but their style is different. Sony studios were influenced by the narrative/cinematic style in the West ,they are emulating Hollywood movies ,meanwhile Nintendo is more classic game design.

For example, when they did try to create a narrative experience in Metroid Other M, they simply didn't have the tools or experience to 'connect' with their Audiences, for them the game needs to be fun and engaging first, the plot comes second, Miyamoto has talked about this too much focus on plot can end up alienating audiences

And thats fine because they fill a space other companies can't, that already makes a more 'diverse' market than every company doing the same thing

now if you want a company that tries to mix both styles, the closest is Capcom they don't make as many IPs but their game design can be cinematic while still prioritizing on what makes videogames 'fun' over other mediums

People are just reading the title and not the actual OP.
Or hell, something like BG3 or Alan Wake? Just something where the story is the point
One of the problems is that Nintendo doesn't have the best cinematic storytellers/writers for what you're looking for. The last game I remember where a cinematic linear story was the point, we got this:

3343111-gif-20211209-182051.gif

metroid-other-m-remember-me.gif

giphy.gif

...and they approved and shipped it out, thinking it was a good product.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
If you really want to play those type of games then you have a PS5. If you kinda might want to try those games, maybe you just have a PC. Even MS doesn't really bother trying to go after that market because it's all sown up.

Top Bottom