• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compelling mechanics or design choices in games that were never replicated

Audette

One game mechanic that may or may not be replicated, but is certianly not used enough, resident evil 2's two character A an B scenario mode with the swappable ways of playing.

Claire A Leon B for life!

When little me discovered this for the first time my mind was blown.
Playing through the same game 4 different ways, genius.

ScOULaris

One game mechanic that may or may not be replicated, but is certianly not used enough, resident evil 2's two character A an B scenario mode with the swappable ways of playing.

Claire A Leon B for life!

When little me discovered this for the first time my mind was blown.
Playing through the same game 4 different ways, genius.

Sadly, I can't imagine any developer being able to do this on a large scale with today's development costs/times. It just wouldn't be feasible.

It's like HD towns, man. Too difficult.

Riposte

Sadly, I can't imagine any developer being able to do this on a large scale with today's development costs/times. It just wouldn't be feasible.

It's like HD towns, man. Too difficult.

Resident Evil 6 had a monstrous amount of content (3 mostly unique campaigns, 1 with some uniqueness) that could have done it no problem. I hope, if the next RE is that big, they go back to this model, maybe find some interesting ways to implement it online (turning out like indirect/situational co-op).

The first thing that came to mind was precisely Shadow of the Colossus.
No one has done battles against massive creatures as well.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow had some massive boss battles that were extremely underwhelming.

I guess that's what happens when you design your whole game around boss battles. No one comes close in my opinion.

beat

Beyond Good and Evil's photography of Hyllian's fauna and flora for a collection and money. Still one of the most unique side quests to come out of that game.

I thought a bunch of games had a photography subsystem. And Skies of Arcadia had a "see something cool" collection quest, albeit not with photography (just visit specific areas).

edit:
Smash Bros. thread?

I don't think people realize that Smash has the most refreshing and creative fighting game mechanics ever, but no series has been able to replicate the "party fighter" as well as it has.

The whole increasing percentage as a meter of how likely you are to fly (and by extension, die) is subtle, but brilliant. I'm frankly surprised it hasn't been adapted to other games, like RPGs.
To me, not that I'm a Smash master, it seems like the mechanic is fundamentally tied to level design, specifically wall-less arenas. I don't know how you'd take it into RPGs without basically making RPGs that only have Smash-like battles in Smash-like arenas.

Holy shit! I played this game for a couple hours and one thing I noticed was you could change the main character's personality on a dime and NPCs wouldn't really react. Did the story wrap up satisfyingly for you?

Yeah, the cutscenes and reactions aren't perfect but I did find the overall story arc pretty satisfying, including the ending I got.

Foolworm

It's not a mechanic that could really be advanced, but I'm still pissed that there has never been a game with Earthbound's auto-win system again.

Pretty sure that Blue Dragon had something like this.

I think Supreme Commander's eponymous starting unit was pretty unique, and is certainly not something I have seen in other RTS games.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
FFXII, Gambits.
I now want Gambits for roughly every single allied AI i've ever seen.
Damn you idiots, i could program you better!

Fbh

It's not like it was never seen again, but I allways belived the combined attacks mechanic from Chrono Trigger would become very popular in JRPG's and it never did:

dualtechnique2.PNG

It's a great idea and one that worked well, it also helped make your team feel like a group fighting together rather than everyone doing their own thing.

It added another layer of strategy regarding team composition and I remember the first time playing through this game half of the excitement from getting a new team member would come from wanting to find out how they could combine their attacks with other characters.

When playng it for the first time I though for sure that all future JRPG's would do the same. But they never did.
Even Crono Cross downgraded the feature, going from over 40 double attacks and 10 or so triple attacks to something like 10 double attacks.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
I like the fine tuning of aiming by tilting in Uncharted Vita. I want that in all shooters on PS4.

Spinluck

Smash Bros. thread?

I don't think people realize that Smash has the most refreshing and creative fighting game mechanics ever, but no series has been able to replicate the "party fighter" as well as it has.

The whole increasing percentage as a meter of how likely you are to fly (and by extension, die) is subtle, but brilliant. I'm frankly surprised it hasn't been adapted to other games, like RPGs.

The simplicity of Smash is one of the most beautiful things about it.

You have 2 attack buttons, shield, grab, and general 2D movement in any direction.

Beneath all this, there lies so much depth. People have tried to out Smash Smash, but none of them has even matched it yet.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The Ending 'point' system Silent Hill 2 used for obtaining multiple endings in SH2 that was intergrated with gameplay, and the 'Psychological Profiling' system of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Bushido Blade-stlye "realistic damage" in a 3D fighting game. Really untapped. No-HUD, certain stances led to certain attacks, animation priority of attacks forced players to carefully weigh there options, Etc.

unbias

I dont think I've ever seen Ogre Battle(MotBQ or PoLC) mechanics replicated. Sad to, cause I love those games, top 5 all time for me.

Arklite

Pretty sure its been in other games, but Lost Planet had a quick turn system where you'd use the top shoulder buttons to turn 90 degrees instantly in either direction. It made target acquisition much easier for those of us who suck at high sensitivity stick settings. I constantly find myself wishing it were in more console FPS.

zeldablue

Everything about Catherine's puzzle mechanics.

The resetting time limit in Majora's Mask.

Rolling health in Earthbound. You never die immediately. Also the sale sign in Earthbound is godly. Sell anything you want at anytime...ordering pizza was also amazing in a dungeon.

JediLink

Smash Bros.

No one's managed to replicate it well enough, and it pains me because it's never going to reach it's potential as both a casual and skilful fighter.
Smash Bros. thread?

This. I've actually seen people say shit like "For Glory mode is just a watered down Street Fighter!" They're nothing alike. Smash is completely different from every other fighting game out there.

Direct control of units in RTS games. Seen in Men at War and other titles like Rise and Fall and Battlezone.

Always love the feature.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Rondo of Swords had a unique combat style for an S-RPG. Instead of stopping next to an enemy and attacking, melee fighters had a set number of spaces they could move, and you drew their path through enemy units. Allowing you to pass over multiple enemies and hitting each.

NMan

Yeah, this! Also, it surprises me that it took until this year's 'Child Of Light' for someone to rip off the battle system from the Grandia games. More JRPGS should use it

I completely agree! Grandia has probably one the BEST battle systems for JRPGS and more games need to rip it off.

I am probably going to come off as a real dope here because I don't know if this has never been replicated or if it is commonplace. Anyway, I really enjoyed the Charm/Rune system in Too Human. For those unfamiliar - you acquired level 1, 2, and 3 'charms' of different shapes that had various requirements (kill 100 enemies in the air, that sort of thing). There were also runes of different shapes that could be slotted into level 1 charms with their own requirements. Once a requirement was fulfilled, the ruin or charm would grant you some advantage. However, you could insert completed runes into charms, and completed charms into higher level charms. The highest level charms had really awesome effects like creating blackholes or acid pools around you.

It took some micromanaging at first, but it made an otherwise loot-grindy game really fun for me because I was always working toward something other than XP with every enemy.

I don't play MMOs at all, so I don't know if this is in those games. I suspect this isn't a unique system. Regardless, I've never seen it replicated in any other game I've played, and I wish more games had these types of things to work toward outside of stock challenges.

Heavy Rain, with it continuing the game regardless of if you were killed or not.

It's common in role playing games, but HR is the only case I know of of it being done in a 3rd person story based game.

Golnei

I always thought Vanquish's powersliding would be a perfect way to implement the speed booster in a 3D Metroid game...

Also, while it's not completely unique, being able to scale back/limit your level is a feature that all JRPGs should have. It's becoming more common, but it should be ubiquitous. Kid Icarus Uprising's Intensity meter's a similar idea, and I'm pleased to see it return in SSB4.

Warablo

Would the latest Alone In The Dark inventory/crafting count? I always thought it was cool to look down and see everything I am carrying, but too bad that the controls and game were too clunky for me to play.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Beyond Good and Evil: the spiral keyboard. Still ahead of its time, sadly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not exactly a mechanic, but BG&E's text entry method with the infinite spiral of letters and numbers was awesome and never replicated either.
I can't believe someone bet me to this.

w3bba

Anyone remembers Metal Fatigue?

It was a pretty unique RTS with 2 mechanics that really stood out:

1. You could build and customize Mechs

171621-metal-fatigue-windows-screenshot-preparing-to-build-a-combot.jpg

You could either research new Parts or salvage then from enemy mechs and the combinations were sometimes really sick.

2. You fought on the ground, under the ground and in the orbit. and units can switch between this 3 layers almost freely

good read for more information: http://xmedia.ex.ac.uk/wp/wordpress/metal-fatigue/

Anyone remembers Metal Fatigue?

It was a pretty unique RTS with 2 mechanics that really stood out:

1. You could build and customize Mechs

You could either research new Parts or salvage then from enemy mechs and the combinations were sometimes really sick.

2. You fought on the ground, under the ground and in the orbit. and units can switch between this 3 layers almost freely

good read for more information: http://xmedia.ex.ac.uk/wp/wordpress/metal-fatigue/

This game was so much fun. Especially when you got to combine salvaged parts from all the different factions, sometimes I just sent my workers to collect parts when other factions were fighting between eachother.

Nirvana

I dont think I've ever seen Ogre Battle(MotBQ or PoLC) mechanics replicated. Sad to, cause I love those games, top 5 all time for me.

I second this (with regards to MotBQ), not only was the battle system entirely unique, but also the Liberation mechanic, forcing you to hold down certain areas, the push back mechanic if you lose/win a battle, and the relationship between terrain; ie. being able to push enemy units off sky islands and into undesirable terrain for them to fight in. The final defense of the base when you are on the back foot as well was pretty fantastic. Just a fucking great game. The ALI system for level ups and obtaining new characters in conjunction with reputation, it truly was an original game.

It's just unfortunate that it was much too easy if you just hyper level one team who doesn't care about alignment. Still great though, will have to do my annual playthrough soon.

Ikaruga's polarity mechanic needs to be used in none shmup genres, atm just Outland on XBLA / PSN uses it. Although the mechanic was born from another sidescroller by Treasure but instead of pressing a button to alternate between the two colours you faced / walked left to dodge one colour and right for the other.

There are other shmup hybrids that are unique are near at dammit too.

Wartech, Senko no Ronde 1 & 2
Change Air Blade
Twinkle Star Sprites

Also Might and Magic: Class of Heroes is unique from what little I know of the puzzle genre.

Although it's a series Langrisser's brand of SRPG never made it to other games, ie all heroes in what would be a normal SRPG are commanders with 4-8 soldiers of horsemen, archers, spears etc.

For a FPS Xotic is very unique as it's stage design is based on shmup highscore (chaining, trick shots, score multiplayers)

Haxxor

The "feel" of Mario Kart. I know it changes from game to game, and I never liked GC one (Double Dash) but most of the others, they have a feel to them that no other (kart) game has managed to replicate.

Same goes with Wave Racer, it has this unique fell that I have yet to experiance with any other game/series.

The shoot/combo mechanincs of Bulletstorm, was pure fun. Needed more combos for even more fun.

The planing stage of old Rainbow Six games, or Hidden and Dangerous for that matter.

I thought COD Ghosts had introduced a version of a slide. Best mechanic for me? Hadoken with Wii mote and nunchuck as seen in Dragonball z Budokai Tenkaichi 2. So gratifying.

petghost

Banned
the parry in third strike was pretty unique and although it had some problems im kinda bummed not many others picked up on that mechanic in a big way.

that is of course not totally true, games like guilty gear had slashback which functioned kind of like a parry but the risk was quite a bit higher and the potential reward was lower...and it was super hard to do, like a 2f window i think. only seen guys like fab use it consistently. just kinda wanna see this kind of defensive option become very important again. the upcoming yatagarasu supposedly has a parry system so maybe its not quite dead.

also loved Valkyria chronicles and its unique take on the srpg. i think the new 3ds game STEAM is doing something similar to that? if thats true awesome more people need to follow that model. thought it was the most exciting thing in turn based strategy in a long time.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Enemy Zero, a SEGA Saturn and Windows stealth title with invisible enemies the entire time through, whose location and strength were determined via sound heard through the game. While not for everyone and I easily understand why no one has done it since in video games (Audio Games have, but that's a different medium), it's a hell of experience the first time marred by some questionable design choices elsewhere in the game that dragged the whole thing down, but never the concept.
I easily imagine someone could make a wonderful title these days with all the advancements in sound technology for crispness and quality, not to mention comfort of headphones. If on speakers, for once the whole surround sound "you can hear it coming behind you" would actually make full sense.

illbleed had a great and fun system for those that figured it out and didn't mind the silly spectacle that was the game. In the title you were presented with a user interface indicating the main senses of the body such as sight and smell to help you figure out scare traps inside a horror theme park. In a simplified sense, this was a horror themed Minesweeper in 3D geometry as you had to figure out which were the traps and which were perfectly safe.
Now the game was great fun and a delight for the absurd, but suffered from the era of Resident Evil like controls and presentation for horror games plus poor and stilted combat, but as a gameplay mechanic and design choice, the horror monitor and spotting the traps was brilliant and could easily become something great (albeit it niche) product today.

A Boy And His Blob's Hug Button. I don't care what anyone says, every game could use a Hug Button and be better for it. EVERY GAME.

Speed Racer for PS1. Right, so rather par at best as a racer, but it featured the trademark Mach 5 and all the gadgets that came out of it. Race courses could have short cuts a normal racing vehicle wouldn't make it through, but the Mach 5 could simply have buzzsaws in front to cut down the trees to get through or use hydraulics to make it bounce/jump over a cliff. Witch the direction titles like Dirt, MotorStorm, and others were going I thought we might get another along this idea, but alas it never happened.

Resident Evil 6's Onslaught Mode. Now I'm no fan of Resident Evil 6's story or playing through that aspect, but Onslaught Mode is truly amazing if you get a chance to play it with someone else who got to know the ins and out of the combat system.
Onslaught Mode for those that don't know is a competitive mode best compared to Verse Mode in Puyo Puyo or Tetris, but instead of taking out blocks and sending garbage to your opponent, you kill the various monsters and unleash more for your rival to face.

Chrono Trigger's Position-based Turn-Based Combination Combat system.

While not the exact same type, the Grandia series is a wonderful series for position based combat with turns.

It also has a wonderful magic system where one gains new spells not by simply levelling up or buying with skill points, but by repeated use of that type of magic. Use Fire a lot, gain new fire spells.

Warewolf

So in Blade 2 for the PS2 and OG Xbox, when you fired your submachine pistol the spent brass would hit the ground as physics objects.

This in itself isn't a big deal and has been done before and since but they didn't immediately turn static like MGS2 or Max Payne, they remained as a collidable physics object and made an awesome ringing sound when you walked through them and they scattered away.

I've never seen that in a game since. aside from a very special New Vegas mod. In fact most modern games damn near ignore ejected cartridges these days which sucks because it's such a cool visual flourish.

We need to refocus our technological efforts people.

Top Bottom