• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Common sayings that make no sense to you...

"You can't have your cake and eat it too."

Um, why the fuck not? If it's my cake, I should be able to do whatever I want with it. What am I supposed to do with cake, keep it as decoration?

But by far my least favorite phrases in the English language are "age is just a number" and "technically, it's ephebophilia."

"Age is just a number" is only ever used by creeps dating minors. If it was used to describe, say, a 40 year old dating a 25 year old, I wouldn't hate it as much. Like yeah, it's still a little different, but at least in that scenario, we're talking about two consenting adults. But it's only ever used as justification for adults dating or having sex with teenagers, and it's fucking gross.

And yes, I do realize that pedophilia and ephebophilia are technically different, but if your first response is to correct people on terminology, it sends me serious red flags. If I call a 25 year old a pedophile for dating a 15 year old, and you just HAVE to rush to tell me I'm using the incorrect term, I'm just going to assume that you also like underage boys or girls, and nothing you can do will convince me otherwise. The big issue here is adults preying on minors, and you'd rather argue semantics.

Oh, and finally, I also despise "where were teachers like her when I was in school." It doesn't matter if she's hot, she's still a creep going after her underage students.

Jeez, this thread made me realize just how far people will go to justify this appalling behavior.

Durien

I hear this at work and it drives me nuts..

"So what's the ask?"
Or
"Did someone research the ask?"

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Jeez, this thread made me realize just how far people will go to justify this appalling behavior.
Am I missing something here? I've not seen anyone use anything like that in this thread. I get where you're coming from, the saying 'age is just a number' is beyond logic. Words are just letters, but that doesn't make it okay to shag a teenager. Just wondering where the offending posts are in this thread.

AmuroChan

"Not for nothing"

"Beat around the bush"

"It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings"

"Take it with a grain of salt"

"The whole nine yards"

"Throw caution to the wind"

Am I missing something here? I've not seen anyone use anything like that in this thread. I get where you're coming from, the saying 'age is just a number' is beyond logic. Words are just letters, but that doesn't make it okay to shag a teenager. Just wondering where the offending posts are in this thread.
My apologies, not in this thread specifically. I haven't seen that here. I just meant the fact that those are all fairly common phrases is disturbing, and posting that made me realize it. Sorry for the confusion.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
"Not for nothing"

"Beat around the bush"

"It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings"

"Take it with a grain of salt"

"The whole nine yards"

"Throw caution to the wind"
I feel ya on "take that with a grain of salt." If it wasn't meant to be misunderstood, why guard with a pretext like that. That's what I've always thought about that one.

The one that had me laughing was "it ain't over til the fat lady sings." That one is hilarious. One time when I was a teenager I was stuck in the agonizingly long Catholic mass with my younger brother. I remember saying to him, " it ain't over till the fat lady sings." I recall this being a Christmas service and it ended with a fat woman belting out 'O Holy Night.'" My brother and I looked at each other and said, "it's over now!" Lol

NinjaBoiX

I really hate that recent meme thing:

“Nobody:
Me: Washing a spoon”

The “nobody” part adds nothing to it, I don’t get why it’s a thing.
When people correct people who say 'I could care less'. That's actually correct as it's meant to be sarcastic, it's like saying ''tell me about it'
No it’s not, “I could care less” it’s openly admitting that you care more than you really should.

It’s people mishearing/misinterpreting the phrase, simple as that.

Relativ9

that's a prime cut of thinking there, would expect little else from someone with your avatar :p

I end opinions on gaming threads with 'imho' just to keep the hate at bay somewhat, no worries .... imo
Thanks :) I responded to another thread just now and my opening words "I think it..." I catch myself doing it all the time, and there is of course nothing wrong with with it, but I've gotten shit so many times when I don't do it, that I alsmost feel like purging it from my vocabulary and having that "fight" every time someone takes offense just to prove the point, but in the end I just want everyone to get along so I don't...freaking annoying though.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
"I'm not going for sloppy seconds." I mean you can have sex and you're refusing because there's already man juice?

Top Bottom