• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Common sayings that make no sense to you...

Tschumi

I'm watching a certain sports team getting eviscerated arsenal vs man city and the words 'oh, the humanity!' come to mind.

But then, I don't know what the heck they're supposed to mean.

"Oh, the humanity!"

What, is it just a general expression of regret and empathy for humankind as a whole? Or, is, someone displaying real humanity, somehow? And that is horrifying? Or like, is he just saying, "I can't handle how human we humans are"? That seems like a negative take in an empathetic situation... You know?

You got any sayings like that? You've been saying them off-hand for your whole life but never really realized that are whack?

Tschumi

When people are trying to say they don't care about something, then finish with "I could care less" meaning, in fact, they do care about whatever it is they're talking about. And no, they don't mean it sarcastically.
this is an interesting one, i agree with the two posters who have mentioned it... as far as i can see, it seems like the person is saying that they COULD care less, but they care so little about it that they won't even bother to care any less... i dunno, in a weird way it works for me, but i don't totally understand how it does so :p

Star-Lord

this is an interesting one, i agree with the two posters who have mentioned it... as far as i can see, it seems like the person is saying that they COULD care less, but they care so little about it that they won't even bother to care any less... i dunno, in a weird way it works for me, but i don't totally understand how it does so :p
But to me, saying you COULDN'T care less makes more sense as it implies you have zero care for it whatsoever. But I guess it's a regional differemce.

GloveSlap

But to me, saying you COULDN'T care less makes more sense as it implies you have zero care for it whatsoever. But I guess it's a regional differemce.
Couldn't care less has always been the expression, its just been commonly said wrong for so long that it perpetuates itself. Plus, th wrong way rolls off the tongue better.

BlvckFox

Gold Member
When someone who just purchased an item online tells me “I got it offline”. No, you didn’t. You fucking didn’t. You didn’t purchase it offline, you purchased it online. Get away from me peasant. Good day Sir, I said Good day sir.

Outlier

"Yeah, no."

that pisses me off. just fucking say YEAH or NO.
I actually like this one, because of the unintentional mind game, it can present.

Their saying "yeah" for acknowledgement , then "no" for feedback. It's needless complication that makes me chuckle, inside.

This reminds me of how my housemate HATES the phase using "wanted to REACH OUT to". He pointed that out as an inaccurate phase that wasn't used in the 70's, after we saw the Joker movie.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Not a saying but I've even heard this from my managers at work (who should know better): "Eck-specially" and "Eck-cetera."

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
"Yeah, no."

that pisses me off. just fucking say YEAH or NO.
They "yeah" is acknowledgement of what was said, the "no" is a response to it. This is pretty simple English grammar.

T8SC

GEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT IIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Granted, it's not been said as much in the last 6 month. I guess someone eventually did get it, banned.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
"You love to see it,"

Who loves to see it? Are you telling me what I love to see? Are you mimicking a narrator? Or are you just subtley telling me you're a trendy woke asshole? Just say you like something, don't frame it like you're a text box in a silent protagonist video game.

Serious answer: "Sometimes you just need to slap the pussy and deposit the children in the sink," Never got it.

Ballthyrm

Saying something is "awesome"

Really? I mean, Really ? ? ?

Does it fill you with awe?

Is it something not only you've never seen before, but that surprised so much that it leaves you speechless ?

I'm really curious how you will qualify us meeting Aliens, or Human landing on Mars then.

Last edited:

Amory

I say "Thank God for that" and "For Gods sake" a lot, even though I'm an Atheist.
It's just hardwired into me.
In a similar vein I see a lot of atheists (who doubtless find the concept of prayers to be stupid), sending "good vibes" or "positive energy" in response to someone's crisis

That should be just as stupid a concept to them

not sure if this counts, but my wife gets pissed when I say “sure” for some reason

something about how I use it too much in response to questions. to the point where it means nothing when I use it.

edit: “it is what it is” also ruffles her feathers

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
"Toxic".

Completely meaningless because it's been bastardised to the point where it means "thing I don't like" and usually the people who use the word are the most "toxic" of all.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Thank you! What the hell else is it supposed to be?

To be *content* with the momentary state of affairs even though it may not be to your liking and nothing will change its outcome retroactively; It is what it is.

I use it all the time lol

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Can't do nothin' about it.
You explained it better. Can't do nothing about it now, it is what it is; let's move on and deal with *this* .. It also speaks to the ability to not linger with repercussions and instead focus on dealing with them instead. Well, that's my way of using it's intention behind said saying.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
When people correct people who say 'I could care less'. That's actually correct as it's meant to be sarcastic, it's like saying ''tell me about it'
Absolutely awful take.
Also 'Don't get me wrong...' That phrase is always followed by something annoying.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Absolutely awful take
care to elaborate and make ur post useful? :p

neil degrasse tyson we got a badass over here GIF

Relativ9

"I feel like", "I think" and "In my opinion" preceding a clearly subjective statement. Its fine when you want to temper or lessen the impact of what you're about to say, but too many people treat it like it's obligatory. I get in trouble with friends sometimes because I don't preface statements with that when I express my dislike for something. It's like I'm obiously not an all powerful diety, me saying something is shit does not invalidate someone else liking it or imply they are someone also shit for liking something I don't, I shouldn't have to say "in my opinion that's shit" it should be obvious that it's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Tschumi

You're trying to justify saying the thing wrong. There's not much more to say. Just wroooooong. Why is a thing wrong? Because it's wrong.
cheers :p

I Appreciate You Dj Khaled GIF

"I feel like", "I think" and "In my opinion" preceding a clearly subjective statement. Its fine when you want to temper or lessen the impact of what you're about to say, but too many people treat it like it's obligatory. I get in trouble with friends sometimes because I don't preface statements with that when I express my dislike for something. It's like I'm obiously not an all powerful diety, me saying something is shit does not invalidate someone else liking it or imply they are someone also shit for liking something I don't, I shouldn't have to say "in my opinion that's shit" it should be obvious that it's just my opinion.
that's a prime cut of thinking there, would expect little else from someone with your avatar :p

I end opinions on gaming threads with 'imho' just to keep the hate at bay somewhat, no worries .... imo

Last edited:
Top Bottom