• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always feel like Thief of Thieves is one of the few titles I could bear to drop, but then I read a new issue and I want to see what's next. So it must be doing something right.

I guess one of the things I like about the book is the art and page composition. It feels like you're watching a movie with actual actors.

Garryk

Let's talk DC for a minute. Is anyone still reading Frankenstein or JL Dark? I stopped reading Frankie because Lemire was dropping off and now my man is on JLD. I really liked Frank and I read that Kindt was doing a good job.

Also, is anyone going to pick up 'Tec once Layman starts his run?

Quoted for the new page.

rCIZZLE

Let's talk DC for a minute. Is anyone still reading Frankenstein or JL Dark? I stopped reading Frankie because Lemire was dropping off and now my man is on JLD. I really liked Frank and I read that Kindt was doing a good job.

Being a huge fan of Chew and not really paying much attention to Layman's other work, I'm pretty excited to see how he approaches a traditional serious, superhero book. Planning on giving the first arc a shot at least.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hi, I'm pretty new to comics. I'm starting to collect a few batman ones and various others.

I noticed with a few DC comics there there seems to be a DC published one and then a Titan published.

Could anyone tell me if there any differences other than the covers? I want to build up a collection and don't want to start buying the inferior versions.

Titan: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1781160937/

DC: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/140123383X/

Thanks

No difference afaik. Titan have the rights to publish a lot of stuff in the uk - it seems it's mostly older stuff or through bookstores. I think I have the Titan version of venom from when I was a kid, it's def complete.

Ephidel

No difference afaik. Titan have the rights to publish a lot of stuff in the uk - it seems it's mostly older stuff or through bookstores. I think I have the Titan version of venom from when I was a kid, it's def complete.
Titan release newer stuff too, but in most cases I've come across you just get the DC version of the book with a sticker over the barcode.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
can't wait for tomorrow, what a huge week:

American Vampire
The Manhattan Projects
Prophet

and the only one i'll actually get to discuss with you people

Uncanny X-Force

i thought there was a new Fatale dropping but i guess it got delayed

Thanks Sniv and Ephidel. It's good to know there are no differences with the content. Now I just have to decided on which cover I like to most.

Sorry another question. Do you think I will be able to dive straight into Saga of the Swamp Thing without having read any other Swamp Thing comics?

kswiston

Thanks Sniv and Ephidel. It's good to know there are no differences with the content. Now I just have to decided on which cover I like to most.

Sorry another question. Do you think I will be able to dive straight into Saga of the Swamp Thing without having read any other Swamp Thing comics?

Yes for Swamp thing. I only read the first few issues of the new series, but I didn't feel lost having never read swamp thing before. If anything, it just reminded me that I should get around to reading the Alan Moore run at some point even though I have had some of it spoiled.

EDIT: Misread the question (I read it as Saga AND Swamp thing, with me assuming Saga was the BKV book). Answer is still probably yes. From what I have heard the Moore run stands on its own pretty well.

ElNarez

Banned

Yes, Kindt's Frankenstein is bang-on. He's got the character beats right and the crazy high-concepts are pretty good, plus he's putting plenty of clues for larger-picture stuff that seems really fucking interesting. I think the fact that he and Lemire are studio buddies means they've got similar sensibilites, and it shows.

JLD is maybe a tad too slick for my tastes. It's good, but it feels a little too much like a regular superteam book. Things need to get kinda fucked up at one point. But Lemire loves this weird corner of the DCU and it shows.

Fuck yeah I will, Daniel's been shit, so new blood is more than welcome.

In other book news : UXF #28. Gosh dang. I had like, five astounded "huh"s after that final page. Gosh dang Rick Remender you can write some goddamn heartbreaking stuff when you want to.

That UXF new guy is like anti-Phil Noto, that he draws some oddball people, but he's great at showing action.

Also, I hope I wasn't the only one getting Minority Report vibes from that story.

I started off reading Frank because the Flashpoint version was so damn good. I dropped the series after issue 4 or 5 I think, it just didn't have the same level of awesomeness it did during Flashpoint.

JLD is pretty damn good, I'd recommend it.

Cth

Hypothetical question here..

If DC were to continue Sandman, what artists would you like to see work on the book?

Hypothetical question here..

If DC were to continue Sandman, what artists would you like to see work on the book?

JH Williams III

oh wait

SM-promo-600x905.jpg

Owzers

still unsure about ordering all of these zero issues:

Dark Knight, Earth 2, GL Corps, Animal Man, Flash, Frankenstein, Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, Sword of Sorcery, and Talon.

Still think zero issues are a horrible idea, but that's mainly since i hate prequels in general and if these stories were necessary for the books they should have been told at the beginning. I think my wallet is urging me to wait for new Image books.

I'm behind on Frankenstien but Justice League Dark is one of my favorite Dc books. I don't know this Layman dude but I get Detective anyway so I'll be getting it.

Dark Knight, Earth 2, GL Corps, Animal Man, Flash, Frankenstein, Phantom Stranger, Swamp Thing, Sword of Sorcery, and Talon.

Still think zero issues are a horrible idea, but that's mainly since i hate prequels in general and if these stories were necessary for the books they should have been told at the beginning. I think my wallet is urging me to wait for new Image books.

From the new ones I'll probably get Talon depending whos doing it..and maybe Sword and Sorcery. I'm going to look at them whenever they come out.

JJD

Holy shit at X-Force 28!!!

That's how you write comics! The wait until next month issue it's going to be unbearable!

The art was really good too, I hope this new guy sticks around.

Sometimes Remender fumbles at bit with his story telling (otherworld arc, I'm looking art you!), but overall I really enjoy his writing.

The thing is, when he delivers he's one of the most amazing writers around, and probably the best one at Marvel right now.

Garryk

I'd prefer a 0 to a .1 I guess.

I'm debating on whether or not I want to pre-order the Talon books. I like Scott Snyder a lot, but after a year of Court of the Owls stuff, I'm kinda burnt out on Talons. Also, I really liked the Annual from Tynion and Snyder. CONFLICTED!

I don't know this Layman dude but I get Detective anyway so I'll be getting it.
John Layman writes Chew for Image. I haven't read any, but the main character is a detective that has the ability to have the memories of things he eats. It's more comedic than a Bat book is, but he writes smart stories.

American Vampire #29

Quite an interesting chapter, I can't say for sure if what I saw was Pearl Jones family or that was just some random people on the background.

Loving the dynamic duo, Pearl and Sweet. And as for Sweet's motives, can't wait to see it.
Payback's a bitch

Holy shit at X-Force 28!!!

That's how you write comics! The wait until next month issue it's going to be unbearable!

The art was really good too, I hope this new guy sticks around.

Sometimes Remender fumbles at bit with his story telling (otherworld arc, I'm looking art you!), but overall I really enjoy his writing.

The thing is, when he delivers he's one of the most amazing writers around, and probably the best one at Marvel right now.

Secret Avengers was equally amazing.

Also, Stay Angry is the next Frankencastle. BRILLIANT.

tm24

What's happen in Batman Inc that they have to hide it from the public? Goatboy and Robin going to the movies or something?

Since it was a Moses Malone issue, i figure there would be a gang shootout involved.

Also, X-Force 28 is fucking amazing, holy shit. Holy shit. And the art. Man, the next 10 years is gonna be the South American artist explosion. And Secret Avengers is still awesome

Owzers

Odds of Defenders being a great book from issue #10 on? out of the first seven issues i've liked #5 and #6 since it was iron fist heavy, but it's borderline dropped.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is Ami Con WW gonna be released in print any time soon? Need some dang Wonder Woman since Azz isn't bringing it.

October 10th

AME-COMI GIRLS #1: FEATURING WONDER WOMAN
Written by JUSTIN GRAY and JIMMY PALMIOTTI
Art by AMANDA CONNER, TONY AKINS and WALDEN WONG
Cover by AMANDA CONNER
1:25 Variant cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN
On sale OCTOBER 10 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T
Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
• The first time in print for this digital-first series!
• First of new series inspired by the popular figures from DC Collectibles!
• Wonder Woman must stop an attack on Themyscira!
• Features the spectacular artwork of AMANDA CONNER (BEFORE WATCHMEN: SILK SPECTRE)!

Something where she is the FOCUS of the story. This brah had it right earlier, she is a background character right now and that's putting it generously.

While we're on the subject of Wonder Woman... not long ago, I received from Amazon my copy of the recently released Wonder Woman: The Twelve Labors trade paperback. The "Twelve Labors" storyline took place in the mid-70s, after Diana regained her rightful place along with her superpowers and original costume, and left her white jumpsuit-ed kung fu secret agent days behind her. It's a very Silver Age -type story, written and illustrated by a cornucopia of Silver Age talent: the JLA is eager to welcome Wonder Woman back into their ranks, but Diana feels that after being gone so long she must be proved worthy and whole before accepting, so the League spends the whole book watching Wonder Woman do superheroic things and passing judgement. Like I said, very Silver Age stuff.

My only problem with the book is this: "Twelve Labors" had some great covers when it was first published; covers that were highly indicative of Silver Age storytelling methods. Each cover would feature Wonder Woman engaged in some dramatic peril, with the issue's voyeuristic hero du jour breaking the "fourth wall" to comment on the action within and entice readers to learn more. Wonderful covers like this...

...and this...

...and this...

You know, covers that made you want to actually read the book and find out the story behind that wacky cover. So, imagine my disappointment when I opened the package and, instead of seeing one of those great covers or even a modern interpretation of one, I see this:

Yes, that is a crudely rendered picture of Wonder Woman taken from a 2x3" panel in the second page of the first issue, blown up to proportions it was never meant to be seen at and recolored in the simplest way possible, obscuring a grid of those fantastic covers. In other words, the most unappealing and un-enticing thing a prospective buyer could hope to see.

Ugh. >:|

ReiGun

I'm still going to get Twelve Labors, but yeah, that cover is horrible. Her bracelets don't even look like they're on her arms.

Cheska

So I hit up about 10 different comic stores today in the hopes of completing some runs (which I did :D) but now I'm kind of running into a problem. I have no idea how to display them all. I have bookcase where I store my TPBs but where do you guys usually keep issues?

Also speaking of Wonder Woman, anything from this generation that you guys recommend picking up? I'm in the minority that's been liking the New 52 set.

Satch

Banned
Also speaking of Wonder Woman, anything from this generation that you guys recommend picking up? I'm in the minority that's been liking the New 52 set.

just read all of Greg Rucka's run i guess

also The Circle, The Hiketeia, and League of One

ElNarez

Banned

Well, I'm not the one who does a somewhat important thing like say have Silver Sable's death mess up Spidey's psyche pretty badly but just a few months later undoes it and says "NNNNNOPE she's still alive". I'm not the one having the Lizard enacts the stupidest plan ever. I'm not the one who gets No One's Favourite Character Carlie Cooper foil said plans by catching a detail anyone with half a brain would've caught except apparently for Peter Parker, but don't worry guys he's still the super-duper smartest.

I'm not saying I'd be a better Spider-Man writer. I'm saying a hobo on meth would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom