• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colombia assassinates rebel leader, Chavez threatens war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie

Instigator said:
I don't consider this a potshot, but a legitimate point, however minor...

P.S. You can still vote for me in the GAF art contest!

Actually, I was expecting a taser comment, to be honest.

edit: :lol, hadn't even seen that thread. I think you'll get my vote. :D

Nah, More Poles can get tasered for all I care (*insert friendly jab at Karakand*), I definitely prefer the angle with natives and the RCMP.

itxaka said:
I don´t even know what obtuse means :D

And I was answering at his post about "we have the right to ..." saying that they don´t, globally, the USA, as there is international laws, etc...

No personal attacks from my side, at least i didn´t intend to do that ;D

It seems as if English is not your first language, so I will refrain from arguing over semantics.

Again, your argument is vague: "saying they don't, globally, the USA, as there are international laws." I assume you mean my position on intervention in Pakistan. Frankly, I don't know of a more clear-cut example justifiable intervention provided the host country is unable/unwilling to act to quell those extremist's that pose a direct threat to the security of the United States. Even Obama, the most liberal member of the Senate (and to be honest, whom I support for election), has come out in favor of this, given its clear international justification.

The reason this is applicable to Colombia is that they face an almost exactly similar situation. A group that has proven their ability to murder, kidnap and destroy Colombian property is operating out of Ecuadorian territory for many years without Ecuador doing anything to stop them.

You may think that international law can solve these situations, and, quite frankly, I wish it could, as it would be a lot easier, but given the forty years of time time that has passed since the start of the Colombian Civil War, it is clear that Ecuador is either unable or unwilling (or even collaborating with FARC, if this evidence is to be believed) to expel or extradite FARC rebels from its territory. At which point Colombia is forced to act in order to protect the lives of its citizens (which is the ultimate mandate of any government.)

Now Colombia does not have clean hands. Their backlash against FARC has led to the rise of paramilitary groups that have killed anyone contributing to FARC, whether those people where forced to or not, but the fact remains that Colombia has a right to preserve its own sovereignty by every international law provided by the UN, and America having provided military assistance to Colombia to fight FARC shares responsibility in the present crises, and subsequently has an obligation to prevent the fall of Colombia to Venezuelan/Ecuadorian forces. And we have a better chance of preventing subsequent abuses of power if we are actually involved than if we say "well it's not our problem, let them fight it out."

This is the reality of the situation. As much as we would like the UN (which is an extension of the international law you cite) to swoop in and save the day, which I sincerely hope it can, we (America) have to be honest about our responsibility for the present crises, and take appropriate action that Colombia does not cease to exist as an independent state, provided Chavez's military movement is not posturing.

Boogie

Instigator said:
Nah, More Poles can get tasered for all I care (*insert friendly jab at Karakand*), I definitely prefer the angle with natives and the RCMP.

Yes, not exactly our proudest moments. Nor is "just following orders" the most noble of defences.

Karakand

Instigator said:
I'm watching my copy of the Academy Award-nominated Katyn. THAT'LL SHOW YOU!!!

Tamanon

Banned
BTW, Bush will be speaking on this soon, that might give a hint at least what direction we're leaning.

Eh, nevermind, he's just talking about getting a trade agreement going.

tetsuoxb

As a fellow Venezuelan, I agree with you; however, bumping a 2 month old thread to say that is probably going to earn you a GAF vacation.

I think the entire world has figured out how best to help themselves and fuck over America at the same time. Just threaten some violence or commit even small acts of violence in areas of the world responsible for oil production. The oil markets immediately bid up the price of oil and the oil dependent American economy takes a dive.

Of course, it is sort of our fault for making ourselves so dependent.

Banned
speculawyer said:
I think the entire world has figured out how best to help themselves and fuck over America at the same time. Just threaten some violence or commit even small acts of violence in areas of the world responsible for oil production. The oil markets immediately bid up the price of oil and the oil dependent American economy takes a dive.

Of course, it is sort of our fault for making ourselves so dependent.
And how many of our enemies are so independent from oil that they would want to do that?

Interpol just verified that the documents are legit.

Gee, I'm surprised.

Chavez has been working with Fidel and Correa for a while to destabilize Colombia.

Yes, Uribe and Bush are allies. Colombians, as a whole, have mixed feelings towards Bush. Yes, he's an asshole, but he's done good by our country. He's trained us, without establishing a significant military presence, given us a trade deal that benefited us both, and helped us fight the FARC, a plague on our country that's been on going for 40 years.

Uribe is one of the most popular presidents anywhere, and the most popular in South America. Thanks to him, the Colombian economy is getting better year over year as one of the worlds fastest growing economies, the countryside is safer, and corruption is getting lower as he takes on corruption in all political parties, not just his own.

Now Chavez is threatening war again, because the documents have been verified by independent groups. He can rattle sabers all he wants, but all Cuba has to offer him is medical aid, and Ecuador is no where near Colombia in terms of food exports to Venezuela. Uribe will do what he usually does; ignore Chavez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom