• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colombia assassinates rebel leader, Chavez threatens war

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23435878/

CARACAS, Venezuela - President Hugo Chavez on Sunday ordered thousands of troops to the border with Colombia after Colombia's military killed a top rebel leader.

Chavez told his defense minister: "Move 10 battalions for me to the border with Colombia, immediately." He also ordered the Venezuelan Embassy in Colombia closed and said all embassy personnel would be withdrawn.

The announcements by Venezuela's leftist leader pushed relations to their tensest point of his nine-year presidency, and Chavez warned that Colombia could spark a war in South America.

He called the U.S.-allied government in Bogota "a terrorist state" and labeled President Alvaro Uribe "a criminal."

The leftist leader warned that Colombia’s slaying of rebel spokesman Raul Reyes could spark a war.

“It wasn’t any combat. It was a cowardly murder, all of it coldly calculated,” Chavez said.

“We pay tribute to a true revolutionary, who was Raul Reyes,” Chavez said, recalling that he had met rebel in Brazil in 1995 and calling him a “good revolutionary.”

Chavez: Colombia 'the Israel' of region
Chavez said he had just spoken to Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa and that Ecuador was also sending troops to its border with Colombia.

“The Colombian government has become the Israel of Latin America,” an agitated Chavez said, mentioning another country that he has criticized for its military strikes. “We aren’t going to permit Colombia to become the Israel of these lands.”

Chavez accused Uribe of being a puppet of Washington and acting on behalf of the U.S. government, saying “Dracula’s fangs (are) are covered in blood.”

“Some day Colombia will be freed from the hand of the (U.S.) empire,” Chavez said. “We have to liberate Colombia,” he added, saying Colombia’s people will eventually do away with its government.

The U.S. State Department had no immediate reaction to Chavez’s comments.

On Saturday, Chavez cautioned Uribe against similar military strikes along Venezuela’s border.

“Don’t think about doing that over here, because it would very serious, it would be cause for war,” Chavez said. “How far is President Uribe willing to go in his warlike madness?”

Chavez, who maintains warm relations with the Colombian guerrilla group, the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, said that “it was obscene to see the smiling faces” of Colombian military commanders standing behind Colombian Defense Minister Juan Manuel Santos as he announced the death of FARC spokesman Raul Reyes and 16 other rebels on Saturday.

Colombia defends incursion
On Sunday, Colombia defended its decision to carry out the raid, saying it acted in self-defense.

“The terrorists, among them Raul Reyes, have had the custom of killing in Colombia and taking refuge in the territory of neighboring countries. Many times Colombia has suffered from this situation that we must avoid to protect our citizens,” a Foreign Ministry statement said.

Ecuador has done little to try to remove the heavily armed fighters from Colombia’s conflict who cross the long, porous border into its territory.

Colombia’s military tracked Reyes’ location through an informant and bombed a camp on its side of the Ecuadorean border, where Reyes was thought to be, Santos said. Ground troops moved in but came under attack from another camp across the border in Ecuador. When the military overran that camp, they found Reyes’ body, Santos said.

Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa said Uribe had informed him of the raid but later announced that he was misled after Ecuadorean officials inspected a bombed rebel camp.

Ecuador: 'Airspace was violated'
“The (Colombian) president either was poorly informed or brazenly lied to the president of Ecuador,” said Correa, who called home the ambassador to Colombia for consultation and promised a diplomatic note of protest.

“Clearly Ecuadorean airspace was violated” in the bombing, Correa said.

Uribe earlier called Reyes’ death a step forward in defeating terrorism.

“Today we’ve taken another step in the process of recuperating the respect of the people of Colombia, the respect that our people deserve,” Uribe told a news conference.

Combatants in Colombia’s bitter four-decade conflict frequently cross borders with Ecuador and Venezuela, creating friction between the neighbors.

Colombia and Venezuela have been locked in a diplomatic crisis since November, when Uribe ended Chavez’s official role negotiating a proposed hostages-for-prisoners swap.

Nevertheless, the FARC freed four hostages to Venezuelan officials last week, and they were reunited with their families in Caracas. It was the second unilateral release by the FARC this year.

Chavez has recently angered Uribe by urging world leaders to classify the leftist rebels as “insurgents” rather than “terrorists.”

The FARC has proposed trading some 40 remaining high-value captives, including former Colombian presidential candidate Ingrid Betancourt and three U.S. defense contractors, for hundreds of imprisoned guerrillas.

hope nothing comes of it. a leftist dictator invading a country with a US-backed government hasnt worked out so well in the past

Oh, surprise, it's the United States' fault :lol

God I fucking hate that worthless piece of shit Chavez. I would kill him in cold blood and not lose a second's sleep over it.

JDSN

Banned
Uribe wasnt kidding when he said Chavez is planning an expansionist campaign, he just used the hostage situation as an opportunity to be in contact with the FARC.

People in my country has been fearing this since he lost the referendum, I hope I dont get killed.

Edit: Yeah, im getting rid off her.

Edit2: I love how he says that this could start a war, as opposed to the war that we have been fighting for the last decades? :lol

Im pretty sure the move was to defend the countries borders so far... Colombia and Venezuela don't really have the best relations, seeing as the Colombian government is the closest supporter of the US in the region, and Venezuela is pretty much its primary opponent right now...

Honestly, it could get pretty shitty... but then Colombia is pretty fucked up at the moment, and has been for some time.

Francois the Great said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23435878/

hope nothing comes of it. a leftist dictator invading a country with a US-backed government hasnt worked out so well in the past

heh, hes not really a dictator.. since he got voted, a manner probably less controversial than previous US elections. Learn definition of dictator Step 1

Step 2: Honestly, why not read up on a subject before posting on it? Seems a bit silly....

newsguy

Fucking Chavez. That man needs to be mudered stat. for those who know what the FARC is, you know anyone in relations with this group is a killer. It's so sad not even being able to visit the beautiful mountains in fear that you and your family will be killed or kidnapped by these fucks. And anyone pro Chavez needs to be fucking banned. Idiots.

Tamanon

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
heh, hes not really a dictator.. since he got voted, a manner probably less controversial than previous US elections. Learn definition of dictator Step 1

Step 2: Honestly, why not read up on a subject before posting on it? Seems a bit silly....

To be fair, being a dictator has nothing to do with method to gaining power other than it's not hereditary.

Uncooked

Banned
What's that? Food shortage in Venezuela you say? Chavez is just looking to get the media focused on something else and put blame on the USA.

OmegaRed

nelsonroyale said:

Adolf Hitler got voted in by the people and he was one of the worse dictators the world has ever seen.

AmishNazi

Banned
newsguy said:
And anyone pro Chavez needs to be fucking banned. Idiots.

Fascist. I'm not pro Chavez, but to say we see anything besides slanted propaganda about this man is insane. I hope you are this upset with Bush you know... This is basically exactly what he did with Iraq.

newsguy

AmishNazi said:
Fascist. I'm not pro Chavez, but to say we see anything besides slanted propaganda about this man is insane. I hope you are this upset with Bush you know... This is basically exactly what he did with Iraq.

To be the same thing Bush would have to support terrorism as that's what the FARC is. I don't agree with what Bush did in Iraq either, but saying it's the same thing is absurd.

And as slanted as you may feel the propaganda is, people want to get the fuck out of Venezuela. I know first hand what's going on in that country and it's totally fucked.

AmishNazi

Banned
newsguy said:
To be the same thing Bush would have to support terrorism as that's what the FARC is. I don't agree with what Bush did in Iraq either, but saying it's the same thing is absurd.

So overthrowing a government based on embellished half truths is not terrorism now? Good to know. The filtered news we get is such BS. Columbia's government is a puppet government one of the victories from the war on drugs. Too bad we still can't stop the tons of coke it exports every year.

thefit

Smiles and Cries said:
Does the US defend Colombia? If so with what Army?

The US has heavy influence in Colombia both with money and military support, they aren't allowed to directly confront rebels but do use US intelligence, satellites and equipment to help the Colombians target rebels bases. The whole "war on drugs" is really just a reason to funnel tons of cash into the area and run a covert proxy war against leftists, they don't want this area to go all Vietnam or Cuba on them.

Wow the world is looking alot more like the late 70's early 80's all over again and we still have Negropante working in this administration along with some of the Iran contra players as well :lol If this area gets hot no amount of fence building is gonna keep the refugees that will clamer to get into the US. Quick someone call Oliver North we may have a job for him soon again.

ilbambino

AmishNazi said:
So overthrowing a government based on embellished half truths is not terrorism now? Good to know. The filtered news we get is such BS. Columbia's government is a puppet government one of the victories from the war on drugs. Too bad we still can't stop the tons of coke it exports every year.

Well if the market for it on the US weren't that big, we wouldn't have that problem. If you don't live here in colombia i doubt you can have a good idea of what actually happens here moron.

newsguy

ilbambino said:
Well if the market for it on the US weren't that big, we wouldn't have that problem. If you don't live here in colombia i doubt you can have a good idea of what actually happens here moron.

That's what I was saying in my other post. When you know first hand what it is the FARC does you understand that Chavez should in no way be involved with this group. You say we get "filtered" media in the US but wtf are you watching/reading that gives you the impression that Chavez' actions are justified?

jett

D-Member
nelsonroyale said:

The power is nearly concentrated on Chavez, and he did attempt a coup in 1992, you know. And he also tried to pass a law to be able to be re-elected indefinitey, but even Venezuelans got tired of this dipshit and didn't allow him to do that. :lol I'm pretty sure that eventually this douche will make himself an "official" dictator, giving himself the title of liberator aor some such. There is no way Chavez will leave the presidential chair in a democratic manner.

AmishNazi

Banned
ilbambino said:

Yeah because the market is the problem and not the fact that our governments don't really care because if you take that money out of the economies it hurts both of us really bad. Really fucking bad. I just don't see the world in black and white, and just because I don't live there doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have a opinion.

newsguy said:
That's what I was saying in my other post. When you know first hand what it is the FARC does you understand that Chavez should in no way be involved with this group. You say we get "filtered" media in the US but wtf are you watching/reading that gives you the impression that Chavez' actions are justified?

The fact that every story about Venezuela is negative is a big hint. Chavez has done some good but still is a horrible leader with no diplomacy skills. Just read through the Constitution if you don't think Chavez has done any good. most of it won't work now, but once he's out of office it really is a decent foundation.

ilbambino

AmishNazi said:
Yeah because the market is the problem and not the fact that our governments don't really care because if you take that money out of the economies it hurts both of us really bad. Really fucking bad. I just don't see the world in black and white, and just because I don't live there doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have a opinion.

Yeah, Because the Colombian government doesn't wants to put an end to the guerrillas's biggest form of getting money to buy weapons and paying to its troops. [/sarcasm]

It just not as simple as we would like it to be.

As for your opinion, well you can have it. But making comments and trying to make them pass as fact will not make you earn nobody's respect.

NeonZ

You people do know that the (at least, official) reason for moving those tanks is due to the breach of Ecuador's borders, right? Ecuador itself has closed its embassy in Colombia today.

AmishNazi

Banned
ilbambino said:
Yeah, Because the Colombian government doesn't wants to put an end to the guerrillas's biggest form of getting money to buy weapons and paying to its troops. [/sarcasm]

It just not as simple as we would like it to be.

As for your opinion, well you can have it. But making comments and trying to make them pass as fact will not make you earn nobody's respect.

Well if they wanted to end it they could of fucking fooled me. Oh well live in your fantasy world where governments don't like controlled evils, especially when it's a huge source of income to the economy.

I'm not the one making it simple. You are the one being very dismissive to the fact that maybe just maybe the amount of money that coke brings in might be a reason to never end the war fully.

I'm not trying to pass my opinion as fact I'm just saying that the world is not black and white as people like to make it seem in these threads, and until people wake up to this there will never be any resolution to problems like these.

newsguy

NeonZ said:
You people do know that the (at least, official) reason for moving those tanks is due to the breach of Ecuador's borders, right? Ecuador itself has closed its embassy in Colombia today.

Here's the reason why borders get breached. A high ranking terrorist is coming into a country and kidnapping politicians, US contractors, rich civilians. Said terrorist hides out in Ecuador and waits to strike again. The reason? Because he knows he's safe there as Ecuador is doing nothing to stop him. Colombia gets the intelligence and blows that fucker up. Ecuador is upset now, boo hoo you violated airpace. Something had to be done, the FARC is out of control and being bordered by fucking Chavez is not helping Colombia improve the problem.

ilbambino

AmishNazi said:
Well if they wanted to end it they could of fucking fooled me. Oh well live in your fantasy world where governments don't like controlled evils, especially when it's a huge source of income to the economy.

I'm not the one making it simple. You are the one being very dismissive to the fact that maybe just maybe the amount of money that coke brings in might be a reason to never end the war fully.

I'm not trying to pass my opinion as fact I'm just saying that the world is not black and white as people like to make it seem in these threads, and until people wake up to this there will never be any resolution to problems like these.

What big source of income to the economy? Most money made on Drugs doesn't stays here in Colombia, and the one that does is mostly controlled by Guerrillas and Para-Military groups.

newsguy

ilbambino said:
What big source of income to the economy? Most money made on Drugs doesn't stays here in Colombia, and the one that does is mostly controlled by Guerrillas and Para-Military groups.

Bingo

itxaka

Defeatist
NeonZ said:

They can´t hear you. They are too busy saying chavez should be killed for being elected by the people of venezuela and for doing a referendum to let everybody decide.

BTW I believe its a normal thing to get on alerts when, you know, your "enemy" country right next to you start crossing borders as they want. It will be the same if it was the other way, but Chavez love to brag about everything so :D

Here's the reason why borders get breached. A high ranking terrorist is coming into a country and kidnapping politicians, US contractors, rich civilians. Said terrorist hides out in Ecuador and waits to strike again. The reason? Because he knows he's safe there as Ecuador is doing nothing to stop him. Colombia gets the intelligence and blows that fucker up. Ecuador is upset now, boo hoo you violated airpace. Something had to be done, the FARC is out of control and being bordered by fucking Chavez is not helping Colombia improve the problem.

out of curiosity, are you American?

AmishNazi

Banned
ilbambino said:

Wait do they use it to pay Guerrillas or not? You know the reason you said the drug money was so bad.... You can't have it both ways now.

Hell my country is just as much at fault for this BS. We don't really want to stop drugs in this country or reform laws, because of the amount of money that prosecuting, fining, creating inmates that this war creates is staggering. Just like I'm sure Columbia doesn't mind all the money the USA funnels into Columbia to pretend that they really want to end the drug issues between the two countries.

ilbambino

AmishNazi said:
Wait do they use it to pay Guerrillas or not? You know the reason you said the drug money was so bad.... You can't have it both ways now.

Hell my country is just as much at fault for this BS. We don't really want to stop drugs in this country or reform laws, because of the amount of money that prosecuting, fining, creating inmates that this war creates is staggering. Just like I'm sure Columbia doesn't mind all the money the USA funnels into Columbia to pretend that they really want to end the drug issues between the two countries.

FARC-EP is a Guerrilla, Para-Military are groups created by outlaws to repel Guerrilla attacks. Both of those groups control the Drug business. Both Kill innocent people. None of those have anything to do with the government.

As for the money USA gives to Colombia, as part of the "colombia plan" that started on clinton's administration, Considering the drug problem is heavily connected to the guerrillas ones, it comes as no surprise that most of it is used to fight the guerrillas.

ZAK

AmishNazi said:
So overthrowing a government based on embellished half truths is not terrorism now? Good to know.
Um... yeah. That's right. That's not terrorism at all.

Unless "terrorism" has already ceased to have a real meaning and has simply become an abstract pejorative. Unfortunately, that's possible...

JDSN

Banned
AmishNazi said:
So overthrowing a government based on embellished half truths is not terrorism now? Good to know.
Terrorism is cutting people's heads and playing soccer with them on a town square, dont speak about whites and blacks when you havent seen the colors for yourself like some of us have, idiot.

Bezz

Banned
I like it how people hate on Chavez, but cant take a look at their own backyard.

This dude threatens, while others send troops throughout the world trying to play world police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom