• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Christmas at the Box Office Hinges on ‘Aquaman 2.’ Movie Theater Owners Are Worried.

Mihos

Gold Member
We will most likely check it out. Knowing a DC roboot is coming does kind of kill any hype, though

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The collapse of the cinema theatre system would be absolutely marvellous, given how terrible the movie going experience is… so very much hoping Aquaman 2 is as big a flop as it looks like it will be. Followed by the next movie, and the next movie, and the next movie…

Burn It To The Ground GIF by Parker McCollum

Be careful what you wish for. I don't think you'd like a world where streaming services like Netflix are the only ones financing movies anymore.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Meh Amber Heard is in it so I'm skipping it

I'm skipping Aquaman 2 because I couldn't finish the first Aquaman movie. It' was a lousy piece of crap that didn't deserve the success it had. Movies like Aquaman are exactly what led to superhero fatigue: silly characters, uninteresting stories, boring thrill-less action scenes filmed before a green screen, shiny and oh so fake CGI worlds ... There are only a few film makers who can make CGI heavy action movies feel real and bring the excitment back, but lesser talents like James Wan turn CGI fests into bore fests.

Toots

Gold Member
Give that sweet sweet Rene DesCarte biopic DAWG, He lived a stove and threatened pirates!
he lived by* a stove and threathened the power of catholic religion as a whole with his famous "if God exist and is as you (the catholic priests) say, God is good and therefore won't try to mess with me or deceive me, hence all my observations of Nature and the world and the logical deductions i can make from them are right and in fact the very expression of god's well thought out plan" at the start of his Discours de la méthode. He then proceeds to deconstruct absolutely all the stupid pseudo scientific ideas spread by the very same religious people without them being able to say anything, because it would look like they are questioning god's plan.
One of the most exquisite troll ever accomplished.

edit : It's René Descartes. We do not have double capitalization of last names in french. Descartes not DesCartes, Dubois not DuBois, Dupont not DuPont, etc.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Be careful what you wish for. I don't think you'd like a world where streaming services like Netflix are the only ones financing movies anymore.

What I want is for the existing studio/theatre system to collapse, the same way it did in the 60's. Way past time for the rampant greed of these companies to be punished. Then we might get more, lower budget, more creative stories being told again.

ProtoByte

They need to start lowering their budgets. There's no reason for movies to cost so much to make.
People say this, but I don't think they realise what it means.

Hollywood budgets mostly go to paying people. People centralized in the west coast.

Writers guild this, actors guild that, directors guild, on-set workers unions, "pay your VFX people more, and don't ship their jobs over to Asia", blah blah.

If people expect studios to "manage" their budgets better, they should also expect layoffs and less wage boosts.

Toots

Gold Member

Hollywood budgets mostly go to paying people. People centralized in the west coast.

Writers guild this, actors guild that, directors guild, on-set workers unions, "pay your VFX people more, and don't ship their jobs over to Asia", blah blah.

If people expect studios to "manage" their budgets better, they should also expect layoffs and less wage boosts.
What is wrong with stopping paying all the people doing a shitty job ? Like writers not able to write a good script, vfx guys pulling out ps1 quality cgi, or shitty actors more interested in telling you about their political view than entertaining you.
I foresee significant savings in the future if studios start doing that.
That and the overblown marketing budgets.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I'll be happy the sooner Theaters go out of business and they start releasing actual good movies on Streaming. I do agree with you on the poorly made spewed films though lol
I feel sorry for the people who are trying to make a living from cinemas. I used to enjoy the ritual of movie watching. But the multiplexes and idiot customers dampened that. Luckily there are a few alternative chains that I will go do. Such as Curzon or picture house in the uk.

Otherwise I will watch most films at home when they are on streaming etc.

Last edited:
I am against "cancel" bullshit so I'd be a hypocrite If I skipped a movie because 1 person in it did some stupid shit.

If by skipping this movie I could get some classic Cap'n Jack Sparrow back, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but that's not how this works, unfortunately.

I'm still not watching the movie. Can't stand Heard. You can call it cancel BS but I personally hate people like her and how much they get away with shit

I'm skipping Aquaman 2 because I couldn't finish the first Aquaman movie. It' was a lousy piece of crap that didn't deserve the success it had. Movies like Aquaman are exactly what led to superhero fatigue: silly characters, uninteresting stories, boring thrill-less action scenes filmed before a green screen, shiny and oh so fake CGI worlds ... There are only a few film makers who can make CGI heavy action movies feel real and bring the excitment back, but lesser talents like James Wan turn CGI fests into bore fests.

Same. James Wan should just stick to Horror, that's where he excels the best at

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It’s weird. I’m not sure movies/cinema ever had a video game crash type moment. They have for the longest time progressed and reinvented themselves in quality, story telling etc. But the moment they start treating tentpole franchises like they AAA games studios they are slowly bringing on a major one.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Time for the scientist biopic cinematic universe
I want an adaptation of “Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman” starring Henry Cavill as Richard Feynman.

That was one seriously entertaining scientist autobiography. His story about making everyone at Los Alamos think he was a master safe cracker was one of the funniest things I’ve ever read. They could even get a couple titty scenes in there!

DrFigs

he lived by* a stove and threathened the power of catholic religion as a whole with his famous "if God exist and is as you (the catholic priests) say, God is good and therefore won't try to mess with me or deceive me, hence all my observations of Nature and the world and the logical deductions i can make from them are right and in fact the very expression of god's well thought out plan" at the start of his Discours de la méthode. He then proceeds to deconstruct absolutely all the stupid pseudo scientific ideas spread by the very same religious people without them being able to say anything, because it would look like they are questioning god's plan.
One of the most exquisite troll ever accomplished.

edit : It's René Descartes. We do not have double capitalization of last names in french. Descartes not DesCartes, Dubois not DuBois, Dupont not DuPont, etc.
I think it's interesting your reading of this is that Descartes was doing a little trolling and did not sincerely believe these things about God.

Toots

Gold Member
I think it's interesting your reading of this is that Descartes was doing a little trolling and did not sincerely believe these things about God.
That is what the philosophy professor told us when we were studying it :messenger_grinning_sweat: . France has a huge anticlerical tradition so of course teachers are a bit biased.
Here Descartes idea was to have enough latitude to say stuff that the Church would extremely disapprove, while not getting burned at the stake for it. Him believing in god is in fact irrelevant. But im truly convinced that he did not believe in the christian catholic god, at least the way he was depicted in the 17th century.

Last edited:
I thought this thing already bombed a few months ago, or was that one of the Flash movies?

I can't tell one shit-fest made by hilariously broken human beings from another.

ProtoByte

What is wrong with stopping paying all the people doing a shitty job ? Like writers not able to write a good script, vfx guys pulling out ps1 quality cgi, or shitty actors more interested in telling you about their political view than entertaining you.
I foresee significant savings in the future if studios start doing that.
That and the overblown marketing budgets.
Nothing wrong with it. People just have to be aware. You'd have thought that this point would've come up more often during the writers strike farce, but even people here did not react to such points being brought up very well.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
People say this, but I don't think they realize what it means.

1. There's a lot of bloat in this industry, Sister Act was written by 1 guy (an amazing movie), The Marvels was written by 3 people. That's 3 times your budget for an awful screenplay.

2. Crazy prices. Companies in the US are overpaying for everything, there's no bargaining and no sense of how much things should cost. I worked at a company where they paid 33K for one illustration, 33 fucking K. That's insane, and they got like 4-5 of them from this person, he basically had a year long salary from one job and in two weeks!!

So yes, they need to manage better, ask for discounts, lower the bloat of unnecessary people to pay for (like DEI departments. etc).

Fbh

While this is true, from my understanding many movies with inflated budgets (like a lot of Disney stuff) also suffer from an over reliance on constant changes and re-writes which result in expensive reshoots or unnecessary time and budget spent on CG to alter existing scenes to match the late changes to the story

Also this over reliance on franchises and milking everything to death with endless sequels has given A list actors a massive negotiating power. I have nothing against actors making good money but isn't $20 million for a single actor excessive? The studios have put themselves into this situation because you aren't just going to change the actor for Thor in the fifth movie.

DrFigs

It's hard to know how expensive movies really are because Hollywood uses bizarre and innovative accounting methods isn't it? Although this would be cope, since i'm sure WB wanted to make at least 700 mil on this movie.

belmarduk

I think this movie will buck the trend and be a moderate success. Women and gays will show up to see Jason Mamoa.

Jayjayhd34

Looks like im rather small majority I fucking loved the first film. Can't wait to stream this Amber heard isnt in that muxh anyway if any court case was legit.

Last edited:

Trilobit

Concerning comic book movies only standalone DC movies interest me now. Stuff like Nolan's Batman or Phoenix' Joker. Their cinematic universe stuff is so abhorrently boring. I'm not even going to talk about new Marvel stuff, which has been subpar since Endgame and yes, that includes Spider-Man.

The only thing that will make me go to the theaters is good scifi. It can be charming stuff like Super 8 or deeper movies like Arrival or Interstellar. Or if it entertains and wows me like Transformers 1 I'm up for it no matter what.

Star Wars should have been a much needed injection for cinemas, but Iger and Kennedy have not only dropped the ball, they've launched it into orbit.

Top Bottom