• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China escalating hostile rhetoric towards Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The US has been selling weapons to Taiwan for decades. If the US government actually believed in One China, they wouldn't have been selling defensive weapons to Taiwan.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/weapons/RL30957.pdf

This is a simplistic look at the situation. China's willing to turn a blind eye to the weapon sales as long as everyone maintains the fiction that there is "One China."

As such weapons sales and backdoor communications are allowable. Public direct communication is a no-no.

China is prepping a boogeyman to turn the domestic population against someone outside of their government for the likely domestic instability as a result of their economy in the next 12-24 months.

It's a very effective boogeyman, and one shouldn't play into it by playing up tensions.

Syriel

Remind me again how the US recognizing Ukraine as an independent country helped prevent Crimea from being annexed. Or what steps the US or any western nation did to pretend Crimean "separatists" from shooting down a Malaysian Airlines international flight?

The defense treaty with Taiwan has a bit more teeth.

If China makes any military moves, or even just embargoes the island, the President can send in troops. Plus, there's all the military hardware we sell Taiwan.

Why does Russia hate China so much nowadays?

Because they missed the boat on being the friendly authoritarian built-here country. They want to destroy the current world order and be the ones who pick up the pieces in their favor after and of course Trump is willing to help out for self interests of his own damn the the rest of the world. The rest of the world though have caught on it's no longer some unimaginable fiction it's happening and everyone or girding for what's ahead.

duckroll

I am not going to side with China vs Trump no matter how much I dislike the guy. China should just ignore the guy this is just going to push his sensitive buttons.

"Government should just ignore the political comments made by the president elect of another country" is not a thing that can happen.

Burt

"Strategic Arrogance" + "Head on Confrontation" =

Doj5RD4.gif

Perfectly sound reasoning for international conflict

"Government should just ignore the political comments made by the president elect of another country" is not a thing that can happen.

Ignore the president of the US......right....
Edit: goddammit, duckroll....!

At least wait until the guy is sworn in. He has not even done anything but talk big.
Ok he made a call to the Real China and Fake China got mad.

I don't think things will get better so I retract my statement

Kettch

The US has been selling weapons to Taiwan for decades. If the US government actually believed in One China, they wouldn't have been selling defensive weapons to Taiwan.

China is prepping a boogeyman to turn the domestic population against someone outside of their government for the likely domestic instability as a result of their economy in the next 12-24 months.

China has been giving warnings about arms sales to Taiwan as well. This isn't some made up policy that they decided to throw at Trump.

How far they're willing to go, where they see red lines, that stuff is certainly up for debate though.

duckroll

The defense treaty with Taiwan has a bit more teeth.

If China makes any military moves, or even just embargoes the island, the President can send in troops. Plus, there's all the military hardware we sell Taiwan.

I would sure hope so, but is this a thing that anyone really wants to see happen?

SiteSeer

China knows that they could do nothing if the US supported an independent Taiwan and this is their last gasp for a temper tantrum. Let them act like babies while Trump formally recognizes an independent Taiwan. The dominoes will follow quickly with other countries once that happens and there is nothing that China can do about it.

i'm not so confident other industrialized economies would be following trump into war with china for taiwan's sake. they have their own agreements with the one china policy and judging by their lukewarm support of the iraq/afghanistan wars, which were against basically failed states, i'm not sure these countries would want to impact their economies to the extent that they already have domestic issues with terrorism and mass migration. not to mention trump's poor evaluation of nato.

gaugebozo

Everyone knew the One China Policy was a lie. If the cost of being diplomatic with one of the world's largest economies and protecting Taiwan was saying, "Oh yeah, there's just one China." Why couldn't this dipshit keep his mouth shut?

Breads

Banned
Can the US take on both China and Russia at the same time?

Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z, US DEFEATED!

China is going to put sanctions on us aren't they? Which would suck, we get a lot from there. Everything is made in China.

But Trump's words need consequences, I'm all for it, even as an American.

Could China even successfully do that though? I feel like if they did that then all the US based tech companies would just pull out of Shenzhen.

duckroll

China has been giving warnings about arms sales to Taiwan as well. This isn't some made up policy that they decided to throw at Trump.

How far they're willing to go, where they see red lines, that stuff is certainly up for debate though.

Singapore has traditionally always held military exercises with Taiwan. This has been a known thing, and no one makes a fuss about it at all. Last year China decided to do something very unusual and while we were shipping back military vehicles after an exercise, they were seized at the Hong Kong port. China is still holding them

So yeah, they're getting uptight lately and it's not very funny. :/

kmfdmpig

Why does Russia hate China so much nowadays?

They've never gotten along as well as we think in the US. Russia sells arms to China because it needs the money and China has bought arms from Russia while it was bringing its own domestic capacity up to speed. They may have overlapping allies and enemies at times, but are not particularly fond of one another. The two countries almost went to war in 1969.

RDreamer

Israel's already doing that, China needs to be stealing his tax returns right now.

I don't give a shit how the tasks get divvied. I want the entire intelligence community in every country that's able set to take him out.

The funnier thing about that method of taking him out is that if a foreign nation is the one to finally do it, the example he set basically says that's ok. He didn't give a shit about Russia hacking, so... all's fair I guess.

Buckle

This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but with a twitter.
That sounds about right.

Twitter is like some magical lasso that ensnares people and forces them to blab and say/reveal whatever dumb shit is on their mind regardless of the consequences.

This was actually the final plotline in the West Wing.

China and Russia started a massive ground war against each other over fucking Kazakhstan and then the U.S. decided (for no apparent reason) to make it a three way war by sending in a 150k troops of their own.

(This plotline was much dumber than any arc in DBZ and made much less sense).

dramatis

It is remarkably amazing how less than a decade after the 'end' of the Iraq War, there are some idiots who are hungry for war again, and this time not just with a significantly less powerful nation.

orochi91

Do you blame them? We stood by their China one policy for 40+ years, now all the sudden this orange maniac wants to change it.

I'd be mad too.
Agreed.

If this is a taste of how Trump will be conducting international "diplomacy" during his tenure as POTUS, then the next several years will truly be hellish.

kmfdmpig

Why would Russia want to go to war with the US? They already have ensured that either a puppet or (at best) a fool became president of the US.

Neither China nor Russia could really project force around the world against the US (they'd have enough trouble doing so against a third world nation that was far away), so while they could help each other if they wanted to do so the US would be fighting in their backyards, not in its own.

Blablurn

Yeah what a great idea...Jesus Christ...

I'm looking at articles from various Chinese state agencies since over one year now and the newest article discussed in this thread is nothing that hasn't been said before. They are threatening the USA always in different ways.

Then on the other hand you have Xi, trying to fix the world economy. They are not stupid enough to challenge the USA head on, because they know that a crisis could make their ecnomy crumble easily.

i'm not so confident other industrialized economies would be following trump into war with china for taiwan's sake. they have their own agreements with the one china policy and judging by their lukewarm support of the iraq/afghanistan wars, which were against basically failed states, i'm not sure these countries would want to impact their economies to the extent that they already have domestic issues with terrorism and mass migration. not to mention trump's poor evaluation of nato.

Yep. He is throwing away international support for big moves like recognizing Taiwan, before he's even taken office.

I would sure hope so, but is this a thing that anyone really wants to see happen?

Do you think there is any possibility that Trump himself, works the mess his mouth has been building up diplomatically?

I think if we are going to avoid any confrontation with any world power we need Trump to shut up and stop Tweeting.

He talks about making deals but I don't see how deals happen when he says and does things that alarm opposing parties.

Durden77

Great! Can't wait to see what happens next on this show, it's getting really intense!

*fights strong urge to shoot self*

China can Backdown and agree to Trumps bs and legitimized his idiotic foreign policy which would continue towards other countries and for China it means showing military weakness to its rivals abroad and inside. Or draw a red line forcing Trump to backdown and look like the emperor with no clothes that he is or he moves in on China in a trade war and a military confrontation that will have everyone in congress pushing for both sides to cool down with the UN being the mitigater and making look Trump foolish. China has the upper hand.

It is remarkably amazing how less than a decade after the 'end' of the Iraq War, there are some idiots who are hungry for war again, and this time not just with a significantly less powerful nation.

Hey, there are only two world super powers now and there can be only one Highlander so why not go to war?

But I was told that Trump knows exactly what he is doing by antagonizing China!

Instead of working through channels and backdoor negotiations, Trump has repeatedly directly called China out. In what universe would they possible be willing to stand down to him when they would gain nothing from it? If you're expecting them to blink I wouldn't count on it.

Chin is so far behind USA in everything including military and economy, what kind of fight they can possibly put up?

We aren't going to war directly. Both country possess nuclear arms anyway. Our economy would be tanked in a trade war with them though. Also China could easily destroy Taiwan's economy as well. Make no mistake the balancing game we've been playing has been to Taiwan's benefit as well and it has largely worked.

Renekton

Chin is so far behind USA in everything including military and economy, what kind of fight they can possibly put up?

Assuming Trump is somewhat influenced by Putin, what does Russia get out of severely hurting China?

Less trade with the US means more trade with Russia, coupled with the lifting of sanctions against Russia, they can bounce back economically quickly after damaging sanctions. Despite Russia having in there,just, it's economy isn't much to speak about. Strong military but little if any economic influence globally. Compared to the likes of China and the US, they lack heavily in this area.

Putin has made his wish for strong trade in the Russian federation. Having China as a tier 1 trade partner is liming getting the goose that lays golden eggs.

Get trump to fuck off China and then to rush into Russia ever strengthening arms. Risky but smart gambit by Putin.

On topic, a trade war will spark between China and the US. Trump is itching for one.

China can Backdown and agree to Trumps bs and legitimized his idiotic foreign policy which would continue towards other countries and for China it means showing military weakness to its rivals abroad and inside. Or draw a red line forcing Trump to backdown and look like the emperor with no clothes that he is or he moves in on China in a trade war and a military confrontation that will have everyone in congress pushing for both sides to cool down with the UN being the mitigater and making look Trump foolish. China has the upper hand.

For Trump to be successful everyone would have to play his deals game and bow down to what he wants.

China has been very active lately, in trying to flex it's muscles not sure they are going to backdown unless Trump has a very good offer.

I think China can probably put up a pretty good fight in Taiwan since Taiwan is like three feet away from China and the Taiwan government estimates that Taiwanese forces would last less than a week against Chinese forces.

Lautaro

I hope they take their gloves off and let Trump crush them.

Trump can't deal with SNL and you want him to "crush" China HAHAHA

I hope China goes after his business before going with a full trade war, maybe that should be enough for him to stop escalating.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
China has more to lose in a trade war than the US does (although both would lose drastically). The trade imbalance, high amount of Chinese government savings being linked to the dollar, and the need for China to consistently grow to keep a populace that they ran over with tanks less than 30 years ago content with strict government control. A trade war would wipe out some of the best remaining years of Chinese growth before demographic trends (namely a rapidly aging and imbalanced society in terms of gender) start to slow it down even further.

The US, if at fault as it seems likely we would be given Trump's stupidity and bridge burning, would lose face around the world and would see major economic loss as well.

China has been delinking their trades anf use of the dollar for a long time now. It's been a long meticulous process but it won't hurt them half as much as your thinking. They also have a massive amount of unused economic muscle in comparison to the US in terms if their interest rates and have been gaming currency market for a long time. They also own substantial amounts of US debt.

China has some extremely competent economists behind them and I imagine they've been prepping for such a scenario for a very long time. Considering how incompetent Trump is I would not bet against China on this. If you think America will get off easily in this, I'd think again.

RPGCrazied

Does China have a good intelligence agency? Maybe they can help us find dirt on Trump to get him out that much faster.

Usobuko

Banned
They will definitely retaliate in some ways or other. You don't get to the world no.2 superpower and be subservient to the top dog. Plus the One China policy is something non-negotiable in their eyes.

Volatile times ahead.

The US must convince China it is prepared to defend Taiwan even including nukes, otherwise the deterrent is useless.
Trump is already damaging the deterrent by constantly equating troops and wars to pure costs, why should we pay more in NATO, we should concentrate on domestic affairs, everything is up for a rethink. Let's be friends with Russia and forgive ukraine if that means more business.
China could easily calculate that trump will not defend Taiwan if it means the treasury bond market tanks, and the war would be costly and risky. Doesn't matter how much Taiwan has in US weapons they could be eroded away to subjugation just with blockades and patience while trump finds a dozen reasons not to get involved.
Trump is a promising too much China will be watching him abandon positions and may make a calculated low risk move before his term ends and he is replaced with someone more capable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom