• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheesecake Factory Employees Attack Black Man For Wearing MAGA Hat, Witnesses Say

Status
Not open for further replies.

xStoyax

Banned
On Mother's Day, employees at a Cheesecake Factory in Miami, Florida, verbally attacked and made threatening gestures toward a black man who dined with his girlfriend's family simply because he was wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat, according to multiple witnesses interviewed.

According to multiple witnesses and Joseph's own account, a woman who worked at the restaurant walked up to him and started pointing at his hat, signaling for the other employees to come over.

"Her finger was literally on top of his head, we were all looking at her like 'what is happening?'" one witness told The Daily Wire. "She was pointing at him, calling her other coworkers, telling them to look at this guy wearing a Make America Great Again hat."

At that point, approximately a dozen or so employees approached the table and began making comments about the hat, with some saying they wanted to punch Joseph in the face. Witnesses also allege that some of the employees also referred to him as a "n**ger" in their conversations among each other.

"So then all the employees started standing there, saying things out loud, like, 'I'm going to knock his head in so hard his hat's going to come off," the witness continued.

One of the employees gave Joseph intimidating looks, clenching his fists and making hand gestures that appeared to indicate that he was ready to engage in a fistfight.

Another witness verified the claims, saying that the employees in the kitchen were booing Joseph loudly as he walked by.

One of the witnesses said that the event was so traumatic and threatening that an elderly woman who was present had to take medication to calm herself down.

Multiple witnesses said that as the family exited the restaurant the manager followed them out and told them that some of the employees admitted to their actions and that one of the employees had been sent home.

The Daily Wire viewed multiple video clips and photos that validate the claims made by the witnesses about the number of employees appearing to stand around the table.
eugenior_joseph.jpg

Spheyr

Banned
This could never happen, the liberals have been telling me nobody has ever been attacked for being a Trump supporter, and that there's absolutely no risk of threats from insane liberals over doing something as benign as wearing a MAGA hat.

OH-MyCar

690291599eb5685373aa0ddc8757ee69.gif

I know we're seeing some really stupid stuff happen on each side of the political divide here, but this just seems like the old FWD: Atheist Teacher Persecutes Brave Christian.exe

Spheyr

Banned
690291599eb5685373aa0ddc8757ee69.gif

I know we're seeing some really stupid stuff happen on each side of the political divide here, but this just seems like the old FWD: Atheist Teacher Persecutes Brave Christian.exe
Yeah, except the part where people involved admitted to it and the company has apologized and....

OH-MyCar

Yeah, except the part where people involved admitted to it and the company has apologized and....

Trust the narrative before you if your enemy looks like an asshole. Everything else deserves a healthy amount of skepticism.

And of course the Cheesecake Factory apologizes. That's what large companies do. They'll apologize and throw the employees under the bus just for being involved in drama that dragged their name through the mud. That applies to supposed rows involving Antifa and MAGA hats. They're interested in their brand, not politics or some petty squabble.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness
The victim is recovering from the attack but still needs a little more time to decide what he wants to order.

Spheyr

Banned
Trust the narrative before you if your enemy looks like an asshole. Everything else deserves a healthy amount of skepticism.

And of course the Cheesecake Factory apologizes. That's what large companies do. They'll apologize and throw the employees under the bus just for being involved in drama that dragged their name through the mud. That applies to supposed rows involving Antifa and MAGA hats. They're interested in their brand, not politics or some petty squabble.
So are you claiming "This never happened" or "This happened but not like they said"?

Pick one. Stick with that choice.

TrainedRage

Banned
Does that matter? They bear the title Nazi. Period. Full stop. The end.

You don't think there is a difference between the actions of teen skinheads who go to punk shows and wear trendy swastikas and the 3rd Reich of of WW2?

They may be racist trash but they are not actively committing one of the biggest genocides in history.

They have different names because they ARE different.

OH-MyCar

So are you claiming "This never happened" or "This happened but not like they said"?

Pick one. Stick with that choice.

It literally doesn't matter. My point is would you be this trusting in such a scenario were reversed? My only argument is that it reads like a FWD from a crazy uncle; calculated in its ability to generate dumb rage. One week we're talking about Kanye with a MAGA hat. The next week we're setting up the octagon in the middle of the venerable Cheesecake Factory for black Trump supporters. It feels contrived.

Again, if you're inclined to believe that the media spins narratives against you then don't be so eager to believe something like this because "liberals are just stupid enough to do that".

You don't think there is a difference between the actions of teen skinheads who go to punk shows and wear trendy swastikas and the 3rd Reich of of WW2?

They may be racist trash but they are not actively committing one of the biggest genocides in history.

They have different names because they ARE different.

This is such a fallacious argument. You do realize that not every Nazi during WW2 was an SS officer, right? Hitler was voted into power democratically, and the Third Reich was permitted to happen by regular citizens who never actually physically rounded up people themselves.

Neo Nazis are no different from those people. They support those actions. They would be complicit if such a genocide came to America today. They don't need to pull the trigger themselves.

And in terms of the skinheads I dealt with in my teens? They were violent and disruptive. They were actively ruining the venue and picking fights, taking out security guards in order to do it. The only way to get rid of them was the rest of us rising up and putting hands on them.

Grinchy

Banned
Are you telling me that the skinheads that invaded the local underground shows I went to in my late teens came off of a time machine? :0
Nope, just telling you that they're not real Nazis.

If I order a samurai sword off of ebay and practice with it, I'm not a real samurai either. I'd just be a pathetic, delusional poser like people who claim to be Nazis today.

Nope, just telling you that they're not real Nazis.

If I order a samurai sword off of ebay and practice with it, I'm not a real samurai either. I'd just be a pathetic, delusional poser like people who claim to be Nazis today.

Has the "No True Scotsman" fallacy just morphed into "No True Nazi"? :000000000

TrainedRage

Banned
This is such a fallacious argument. You do realize that not every Nazi during WW2 was an SS officer, right? Hitler was voted into power democratically, and the Third Reich was permitted to happen by regular citizens who never actually physically rounded up people themselves.

Neo Nazis are no different from those people. They support those actions. They would be complicit if such a genocide came to America today. They don't need to pull the trigger themselves.

And in terms of the skinheads I dealt with in my teens? They were violent and disruptive. They were actively ruining the venue and picking fights, taking out security guards in order to do it. The only way to get rid of them was the rest of us rising up and putting hands on them.
I think there is a decent discussion here. Ideals vs. Time periods vs. Cultural change. Etc... But it's getting off topic. I will for sure join the debate in a new thread.

Spheyr

Banned
It literally doesn't matter. My point is would you be this trusting in such a scenario were reversed? My only argument is that it reads like a FWD from a crazy uncle; calculated in its ability to generate dumb rage. One week we're talking about Kanye with a MAGA hat. The next week we're setting up the octagon in the middle of the venerable Cheesecake Factory for black Trump supporters. It feels contrived.

Again, if you're inclined to believe that the media spins narratives against you then don't be so eager to believe something like this because "liberals are just stupid enough to do that".

What color is your helmet?

Bolivar687

Banned
Don't understand why y'all gotta be dicks to me at all hours of the day.

Autoignition Autoignition You're right. I'm writing over this and I apologize, thoughtless posts like that are crude and don't add anything to the community.

I just hope you also take a moment to reflect on the slippery slope of justifying violence against taboo ideologies, in an era where everyone is being called far and alt-right.

Last edited:
Don't forget to be violent and take out security guards and the only way for us to stop you is by rising up and putting hands on you.

Then you'd be a real Samurai.

In defense of Nazis, in this case. Mom must be proud.

A racist liberal is like a unicorn. They only exist in fairytales. This story got me all like whaaaaat? There's no way a liberal could call a black man the n word just because the hat he's wearing is in support of the republican party.

This is certainly a strange Onion article.

...Wait. This isn't an Onion article? OH...oh dear.

Meh3D

What do you think they admited to? The title says “Attacked” which describes a physical altercation. The article text itself says “verbally Attacked”, two very different things. The poster is making the connection between this and the “Atheist Teacher Persecutes Brave Christian.exe” narrative and justifiably so.

Last edited:

JDB

Banned
Title: Cheesecake Factory Employees Attack Black Man For Wearing MAGA Hat, Witnesses Say

Article: employees at a Cheesecake Factory in Miami, Florida, verbally attacked and made threatening gestures toward a black man

hmmmm

Last edited:

Airola

Title: Cheesecake Factory Employees Attack Black Man For Wearing MAGA Hat, Witnesses Say

Article: employees at a Cheesecake Factory in Miami, Florida, verbally attacked and made threatening gestures toward a black man

hmmmm

That's technically correct as nowadays words are seen as violence. So technically that's not clickbait.
If you don't believe me, ask progressive liberals about it.

JDB

Banned
That's technically correct as nowadays words are seen as violence. So technically that's not clickbait.
If you don't believe me, ask progressive liberals about it.
Technically it's also a pretty big omission. Don't hide behind blaming liberals for everything.

Airola

Technically it's also a pretty big omission. Don't hide behind blaming liberals for everything.

I was being sarcastic there, although the "ask liberals" part was brought in as a half truth / half joking manner as the whole "a verbal attack is violence" thing is a thing that progressive liberals have been said for years now.

The difference between the title and what is actually said in the article was the first thing I noticed when I read the article and it was just as stupid thing now as it has been before this. That's a stupid clickbait title. However, in the current political and social climate I wouldn't be 100% sure if the writer actually thinks saying they "attacked" is equal to saying they "verbally attacked." So that's why I made a sarcastic comment on your post.

I'm glad you see what's wrong in that title when compared to the article. Many wouldn't.

camelCase

While there was some distasteful stuff said, I'd like to echo what this poster said

I just hope you also take a moment to reflect on the slippery slope of justifying violence against taboo ideologies, in an era where everyone is being called far and alt-right.

The nazi punching thing from last year still annoys me. Is it ok to punch people or is it not? In my opinion, and in US law, it is not. Just because you cherrypicked someone who is by all accounts an awful person, you don't get to inflict violence on them. You don't get to dispense justice because someone's flying a flag you don't like. The fact that the swastika is an outlawed symbol in some countries, to me, is a travesty. A symbol should not be able to excite such venomous hatred, nor should a flag. If the person flying that flag is screaming racist shit in your face then yes, they are indeed problematic, but I digress.

I wrote a long paragraph about the definition of a nazi and how modern white supremacists can't really be considered nazis because that was the origin of this subthread, but I think the above paragraph encompasses my feelings about it better. If someone espouses racist beliefs to you, you aren't nipping it in the bud by punching them, you're rationalizing a reason to break the law and enact "justified" violence on another human. You deciding it is OK to break the law (assault, not a victimless or petty crime) isn't any different than someone else doing the same and if you make that kind of rationalization with violence, you're a dangerous person to begin with and you shouldn't be in society.

Last edited:
This is it. This is the caliber of fucking dumbass post that might get me to leave these boards for good.

We've found the line, boys.

Don't you see, this is what the board was missing before the exodus!

Why not just stop replying to people you don't want to converse with?

I didn't like GAF being an echo chamber a year or two ago, and I don't want to see it happen again in the other direction. I like challenging various liberal and conservative opinions, having my own opinions challenged, debating with people who don't see things as I do, and finding some common ground through it all. That's something you can't get at a lot of places on the internet these days.

At the same time on this forum, there have been people on "my side" of certain issues who I wouldn't support, or "the other side" of certain issues who I just decided to ignore. If you don't want to converse with a certain poster, it's easy enough to find someone on their side who is being a lot more respectful of your own opinions. Maybe spend your time replying to them instead.

In defense of Nazis, in this case. Mom must be proud.

Educate yourself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_Legion#Motivation_of_Latvian_Legionnaires

"The Baltic Waffen SS Units (Baltic Legions) are to be considered as separate and distinct in purpose, ideology, activities, and qualifications for membership from the German SS, and therefore the Commission holds them not to be a movement hostile to the Government of the United States."[13]

The Baltics celebrate their war heroes to this day, jump on a plane and come here and try start punching

Last edited:
Sorry, did you think punk started with Avril?

Punk rock started with The Ramones, The Clash, and The Sex Pistols. The message was nihilism and anarchy, not fascism. Just because punk rock was started by white dudes doesn't make it skinhead property by default you fucking troglodyte.

Why am I even having this conversation?

Educate yourself

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_Legion#Motivation_of_Latvian_Legionnaires

"The Baltic Waffen SS Units (Baltic Legions) are to be considered as separate and distinct in purpose, ideology, activities, and qualifications for membership from the German SS, and therefore the Commission holds them not to be a movement hostile to the Government of the United States."[13]

The Baltics celebrate their war heroes to this day, jump on a plane and come here and try start punching

Yeah no one here is talking about Latvia, but that's cool I guess.

Lupingosei

Banned
Why do people even care about a MAGA hat?

Trump was elected. If you don't like him or his politics go out and vote. As if attacking his supporters will change anything.

And how does it affect your life to serve somebody with a different political opinion a cheesecake? Would it helped Hillary or change the election results?

Yes, you don't like the guy's politics, but if you really have to attack somebody for that it says more about you than about that person.

Tumle

Skinheads are

Sorry, did you think punk started with Avril?
I’m not a scholar in punk rock.. but I’m pretty sure it started with the antiestablishment movement or anarchists.. so actually the whole other side of the spectrum of being a Nazi.. both can be violent groups.. but they are not the same ;)

Moneal

I’m not a scholar in punk rock.. but I’m pretty sure it started with the antiestablishment movement or anarchists.. so actually the whole other side of the spectrum of being a Nazi.. both can be violent groups.. but they are not the same ;)

Pretty sure the nazis would have been pretty much the opposite of the establishment when punk came about in the early 70s Wikipedia quote:

Although punks are frequently categorised as having left-wing, revolutionary, anarchist or progressive views, punk political ideology covers the entire political spectrum. Punk-related ideologies are mostly concerned with individual freedom and anti-establishment views. Common punk viewpoints include individual liberty, anti-authoritarianism, a DIY ethic, non-conformity, anti-collectivism, anti-corporatism, anti-government, direct action and not "selling out".

Some individuals within the punk subculture hold right-wing views (such as those associated with the Conservative Punk website), libertarian views, neo-Nazi views (Nazi punk), or are apolitical (e.g., horror punk).

Early British punks expressed nihilistic and anarchist views with the slogan No Future, which came from the Sex Pistols song "God Save the Queen". In the United States, punks had a different approach to nihilism which was less anarchistic than the British punks.[19] Punk nihilism was expressed in the use of "harder, more self-destructive, consciousness-obliterating substances like heroin, or methamphetamine"[20]

The issue of authenticity is important in the punk subculture—the pejorative term "poseur" is applied to those who associate with punk and adopt its stylistic attributes but are deemed not to share or understand the underlying values or philosophy.

Why do people even care about a MAGA hat?

Trump was elected. If you don't like him or his politics go out and vote. As if attacking his supporters will change anything.

And how does it affect your life to serve somebody with a different political opinion a cheesecake? Would it helped Hillary or change the election results?

Yes, you don't like the guy's politics, but if you really have to attack somebody for that it says more about you than about that person.

Come on, you know that being offended is being assaulted. Its only right to assault back. The hat is an attack on everyone that sees it, and anyone that wears on needs to be attacked. Punch a nazi./s

Spheyr

Banned
Punk rock started with The Ramones, The Clash, and The Sex Pistols. The message was nihilism and anarchy, not fascism. Just because punk rock was started by white dudes doesn't make it skinhead property by default you fucking troglodyte.

Why am I even having this conversation?

Yeah no one here is talking about Latvia, but that's cool I guess.
Skins were there before the Ramones even wrote their first song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom