• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cenarion Hatchling Raises More Than $1.9 Million for Japan Earthquake Relief

Carm

Thanks to the overwhelming generosity of World of Warcraft players around the world who purchased the Cenarion Hatchling pet, we’ve raised a total of more than $1.9 million USD to support the ongoing earthquake and tsunami relief efforts in Japan. In May, we announced that for every Cenarion Hatchling purchased by July 31, 2011, 100% of the $10 USD adoption fee would be going to assist victims of this disaster -- and the community responded by opening up their hearts and wallets wide. Thanks again for your support and for helping to make an impact on the lives of those affected by these events.

Since WoW gets looked down on so much on this board, lets even it out a bit with some good news.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
sweet jesus!

Carm said:
Since WoW gets looked down on so much on this board, lets even it out a bit with some good news.

I'm not an MMO player so I don't really frequent threads enough to know if this is true or not, but this is the fourth or fifth time I've heard this complaint--that GAF in general just isn't big on WoW. Do others feel this way? Almost all of the MMOs that have launched recently, I see threads filled with people trying them out and then saying "Well, I'm going back to WoW" so I figured GAF had a pretty active WoW community. Is it that there isn't much interest in WoW, or is it that people seem to actively dislike the game?

Carm

Stumpokapow said:
sweet jesus!

I'm not an MMO player so I don't really frequent threads enough to know if this is true or not, but this is the fourth or fifth time I've heard this complaint--that GAF in general just isn't big on WoW. Do others feel this way? Almost all of the MMOs that have launched recently, I see threads filled with people trying them out and then saying "Well, I'm going back to WoW" so I figured GAF had a pretty active WoW community. Is it that there isn't much interest in WoW, or is it that people seem to actively dislike the game?

It's the biggest MMO, so it gets the brunt of the backlash. WoW these days seems to be looked down upon because it's going "casual" as the detractors would put it. MMOs in general on GAF have always had a stigma about them, even with the threads. Only basement dwelling, unshaven males apparently play it, or people with weird fetishes, to most that complain about MMOs.

That stigma has been going on as long as I've been playing MMOs, 1999, I'm sure it was around for UO. I'm guessing it really got started with EQ1. While there are definitely downsides to the genre, there are many positive aspects of them, that detractors don't mention or probably don't realize.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
sweet jesus!

As far as communities go, WoW had its good times and bad times. For me, most of the negativity/resentment comes from not wanting to fall back into the same addicted habits. I've always found the game itself to be very worthwhile. There are as many mature people on there as immature kids, so its only a half-surprise to see the awesome generosity of the player base, still awesome though.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Stumpokapow said:
There are many Gaffers who play WoW, but most stick to the Community forum when discussing it. The vast majority of those who post in WoW-related threads in Gaming seem to be ex-players and Blizzard/MMO-haters.

So my impression is that people who like the game refrain from posting in threads that are bound to become filled with tears and baseless negativity. That's what I do, at least.

gillty

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Is it that there isn't much interest in WoW, or is it that people seem to actively dislike the game?
It come down to people actively disliking how Blizzard has managed the game in recent years.

Paid expansions coming more often while content patches slow down, premium subscriptions on top, and the way content tiers are being designed.

WoW is like the most popular beer on the planet. Then you get people who get sick of or just hate beer, and those who complain loudly that better beer goes overlooked.

forrest

formerly nacire
I would have rather seen the sales from the Winged Guardian go to the relief fund, but kudos to Blizzard either way. I would be curious to see how much the winged guardian made in comparison to any of the pets for sale.

Carm said:
It's the biggest MMO, so it gets the brunt of the backlash. WoW these days seems to be looked down upon because it's going "casual" as the detractors would put it.

I feel the opposite. Having played WoW up until Burning Crusade (quit right before it released) and then came back for Lich King, I felt it was getting way too hardcore for me. With all these gear checks, arenas, etc... I just couldn't compete with the heavy hitters anymore. Guess it really is a case of people complaining about anything popular.

Hero

I really hate the idea of the Blizzard store but this was something I supported personally. I remember the first time around the pet only had I think 50% of the proceeds going to the charity. 100% is much better. Hats off to Blizzard and the community at large.

ultron87

cenarion_hatchling.jpg

It is pretty adorable.

Carm

Valru said:
It come down to people actively disliking how Blizzard has managed the game in recent years.

Paid expansions coming more often while content patches slow down, premium subscriptions on top, and the way content tiers are being designed.

This is the second time I've seen this stated recently and it's simply not true. Yes, a few of the major patches were retooled older instances, that doesn't change the fact that for a lot of people it was new content. Vanilla WoW had the most major content patches by far, and the reason for that is simply because content was pretty thin back in the beginning. Some of the Major content patches I counted were just the patch prepping for the next expansion.

Blizzard said, many moons ago, that they wanted to get expansions out yearly, but have done a pretty bad job of planning that out it seems.

WoW Vanilla
Release date: November 23, 2004
10 major content patches

Burning Crusade
Release date: January 16, 2007
4 Major content patches

Wrath of the Lich King
Release date: November 13, 2008
7 Major content patches

Cataclysm
Release date: December 7, 2010
2 Major content patches