• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Celebrating Fifteen Years of Final Fantasy XI

Ronfaure, however you pronounce it (lol) is such a beautiful composition. I started in Bastok, but maaaaaaan. When I crossed the Highlands and found that track, I was smitten.

It's not the only one, mind you. But yeah, I too played nothing, but XI music in my Regalia.

Skulldead

I know it's normal, but i would play this game again if it was still really hardcore during leveling process. The feeling of accomplishment was so intense. I know they ease a lot of thing, but it was part of the charm. That feeling when you get a group for 4 hours to get a single or two level progress. The bound you've create with other player, it was magical. I never experience any MMO that give that level of interaction. The number of time, someone came to help to me to complete quest, and the number of time i help other player to do hard task to advance a little further....

I would pay a lot to revive that type of experience.

Loona

I know it's normal, but i would play this game again if it was still really hardcore during leveling process. The feeling of accomplishment was so intense. I know they ease a lot of thing, but it was part of the charm. That feeling when you get a group for 4 hours to get a single or two level progress. The bound you've create with other player, it was magical. I never experience any MMO that give that level of interaction. The number of time, someone came to help to me to complete quest, and the number of time i help other player to do hard task to advance a little further....

I would pay a lot to revive that type of experience.

There's still an equivalent in-game, now for Job Points, which augment a job with enhanced stats, abilities, and in some cases spells.

Moofers

Oh man I have some great memories of playing this on the Xbox 360. It was my obsession for a good while. At the time, I had few responsibilities and could fritter away an entire day on this.

And yeah, Windhurst was the best starting city! That music and the music from the area just outside....love it. The overall soundtrack for FFXI is among the best the series ever had. Still love so many tracks!

I saw somebody else in here mention that they hope it gets converted to a single player offline game sometime. I have no idea how they'd do that and I think the odds are a million to one, but if they ever did that I'd buy it right up. Though I haven't played in years, it'll be a sad day when the servers go offline.

Fun fact, Square originally wanted Yasunori Mitsuda to do the soundtrack for this game, but he was too busy with other projects so he had to decline.

Loona

I saw somebody else in here mention that they hope it gets converted to a single player offline game sometime. I have no idea how they'd do that and I think the odds are a million to one, but if they ever did that I'd buy it right up. Though I haven't played in years, it'll be a sad day when the servers go offline.

Now that the Trust system gives several NPCs combat data, it would be a matter of having them join your party after the relevant cutscenes where they appear (or leave if the cutscenes lean that way too) - for example, Lion could join early in the nation missions, leave at the end of Zilart, and possibly return after Apocalypse Nigh.

Enable full alliances with NPCs - That should make fights like Provenance Warden viable.

Integrate the adventuring fellow system with the Trust one.

The auction house would be the major issue - it'd have to be resupplied in some automatic periodic manner.

If you changed nations after some mission progress, the common Jeuno-related missions wouldn't have to be repeated, and if applicable, Kam'lanaut would be replaced by Esch'ntarl.

Making the whole game a single unit not divided by expansions could also help address some issues in the game's current state, like the binding job-specific quests to areas related to the job's corresponding expansion, or the fact that in a mythology-heavy story like Chains of Promathia we don't get to visit the Hall of the Gods because it's a Rise of the Zilart area.

Adjust the drop rates on everything, as well as the amount of items required to upgrade anything.

Reward quest completion with EXP everywhere, since that was only implemented by Seekers of Adoulin.

Unify the teleport systems current in place through features like the home point systems and Survival Guide books.

Don't make glowing spawn point like those for Voidwatch appear until that quest line's been initiated, it breaks immersion in areas if it's not relevant yet.

As for NPC AI to enable mechanics, I hear XII took steps in such a direction...

Silvawuff

I think I clocked over a year on this game, during some of the darkest times of my life. It gave me hope and an escape during that time. It was time to move on, and I can never personally return ... but I will also never forget.

I really do hope they turn it into a 1 player MMO light sort of deal so others can experience this game, but nothing will ever be that time and place again.

I think I clocked over a year on this game, during some of the darkest times of my life. It gave me hope and an escape during that time. It was time to move on, and I can never personally return ... but I will also never forget.

I really do hope they turn it into a 1 player MMO light sort of deal so others can experience this game, but nothing will ever be that time and place again.

I feel like it was the reverse for me. Playing this game put me into a very bad cycle but I had some great times with it though (I started a new character and hit level 75 bard in about ~6 weeks-mind you this was before Aht Urghan came out so there was a lot of awful Bibiki Bay/KRT parties)

Top Bottom